Author Topic: Mrs Gurgie's New Ride  (Read 26843 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: Mrs Gurgie's New Ride
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2023, 08:21:01 pm »
Congrats! I second the suggestion of a regular Golf, I like that they feel a lot more solid on the road than most of the other hatches, they also make way better highway cars than other hatches.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2023, 09:03:06 pm »
SOLD!! Lasted another year, then threw it up on Kijiji Friday night. Deposit received today, car goes to its new owner Tuesday.

Now the car shopping begins. Looked at a couple used cars on Friday & Saturday. Hyundai Elantra GT Sport with the 1.6 turbo & a Imprezza hatchback. Gonna be a small hatchback this time around. Looking at Mini's again as well. GTI's are kinda outta budget range for her. Too expensive for newer low mileage ones compared to a Mini or the Elantra GT's. No rush, we can get by with the Passport & SLK for a while :rofl:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You could also consider a regular Golf over a GTI.
Been looking at regular Golf's as well. Requirement is for a sunroof as well, seems a little more rare on the used Golf's thus far. Mini has the nice panoramic sunroof which is a huge bonus point for Bellla.

Sunroofs were problematic on the VWs, but mostly the ones with the pano roofs that came on the Golf wagon and Alltrack. IIRC the regular Golf just has a normal sized sunroof. Sweet spot for the Golf was the 2018. They got refreshed that year with new infotainment and few other extras. 2018 was also the last year of the bigger 1.8 turbo engine. 2019 came with the smaller 1.4 turbo engine, but gained 6-speed manual and 8-speed auto vs. the 5-speed manual and 6-speed auto in the 1.8. My sister has the 1.8 and it definitely has enough pep.

My 2015 MkVII Golf Comfortline had the exact same pano roof as my Audi A3.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2023, 09:36:23 pm »
SOLD!! Lasted another year, then threw it up on Kijiji Friday night. Deposit received today, car goes to its new owner Tuesday.

Now the car shopping begins. Looked at a couple used cars on Friday & Saturday. Hyundai Elantra GT Sport with the 1.6 turbo & a Imprezza hatchback. Gonna be a small hatchback this time around. Looking at Mini's again as well. GTI's are kinda outta budget range for her. Too expensive for newer low mileage ones compared to a Mini or the Elantra GT's. No rush, we can get by with the Passport & SLK for a while :rofl:

Been looking at regular Golf's as well. Requirement is for a sunroof as well, seems a little more rare on the used Golf's thus far. Mini has the nice panoramic sunroof which is a huge bonus point for Bellla.

Sunroofs were problematic on the VWs, but mostly the ones with the pano roofs that came on the Golf wagon and Alltrack. IIRC the regular Golf just has a normal sized sunroof. Sweet spot for the Golf was the 2018. They got refreshed that year with new infotainment and few other extras. 2018 was also the last year of the bigger 1.8 turbo engine. 2019 came with the smaller 1.4 turbo engine, but gained 6-speed manual and 8-speed auto vs. the 5-speed manual and 6-speed auto in the 1.8. My sister has the 1.8 and it definitely has enough pep.

Did you have a wagon? Pretty sure the regular hatch and wagons have different sunroofs. I know the pano roofs on the wagons were problematic.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2023, 09:39:48 pm »

No rush, we can get by with the Passport & SLK for a while :rofl:

Roughing it, eh? LOL [emoji38]
Yeah, tough life.

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2023, 10:57:47 pm »

Did you have a wagon? Pretty sure the regular hatch and wagons have different sunroofs. I know the pano roofs on the wagons were problematic.

No, regular 5-door. There’s an S&S thread on it here.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2023, 11:55:37 pm »

MK7 GTI has panoramic sunroof too. I think all MK7 had the same...

Yes they could be problematic. There was a recall on them too.

If I could I would give you mine for free! :😃

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2023, 07:01:15 am »
What are her thoughts on the Toyota Corolla Hatch or the Honda Civic Hatch?  Decently peppy and reliable transport, but the styling and interiors might not be to everyone's taste.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2023, 07:33:27 am »
What are her thoughts on the Toyota Corolla Hatch or the Honda Civic Hatch?  Decently peppy and reliable transport, but the styling and interiors might not be to everyone's taste.
She likes the Corolla hatchback, but we haven't been able to find any with all the features she would like in her price point. She's looking to spend $22k max.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2023, 08:12:36 am »
Manual only?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2023, 08:23:43 am »
Manual only?
No, either or this time depending on the car. If it's a good slushbox then sure.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2023, 08:24:42 am »

The hatch's sunroof is different than the wagon's thought. VW calls it a panoramic sunroof on the hatch but the reality is that it isn't that much bigger than a normal sunroof. It's a single piece of glass vs. most panoramic roofs that are two pieces.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2023, 09:36:43 am »

The hatch's sunroof is different than the wagon's thought. VW calls it a panoramic sunroof on the hatch but the reality is that it isn't that much bigger than a normal sunroof. It's a single piece of glass vs. most panoramic roofs that are two pieces.

Oh I see what you mean...full glass roofs, opening or fixed, are even scarier to me for long term ownership.

If there is one thing that concerns me on the GTI, from long term ownership perspective, it's the sunroof followed by premature body rust. I see many VWs, especially Passat and Jetta, with quite a bit of body rust in specific locations...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2023, 10:19:59 pm »
Might have found a new ride for Bella... gonna head there at lunch tomorrow & see if it works out.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2023, 02:02:22 pm »
BMW will be dropped off to it's new owner later today. Deal finalized on a new ride today at lunch... show'n'shine Friday.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2023, 02:13:35 pm »
No messing around! Surprised the search for a used car went so quick

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2023, 02:14:36 pm »
BMW will be dropped off to it's new owner later today. Deal finalized on a new ride today at lunch... show'n'shine Friday.

Dude, that's not quite 2 pages of thread before new car. That's not how things work around here  :rofl:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2023, 03:01:12 pm »

Congrats... I think. Will reserve final judgement until I see what you got. ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2023, 03:08:10 pm »
No messing around! Surprised the search for a used car went so quick
Quicker than expected, that's for sure.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2023, 03:09:15 pm »

Dude, that's not quite 2 pages of thread before new car. That's not how things work around here  :rofl:
That's not how things work in your world :stick:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2023, 03:10:18 pm »

Congrats... I think. Will reserve final judgement until I see what you got. ;D
It's nothing overly exciting, that's for sure! But it met all the requirements put forth by Bella :rofl: