Author Topic: Mrs Gurgie's New Ride  (Read 26861 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Mrs Gurgie's New Ride
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2022, 12:36:11 pm »
I'm not sure a 10 year old BMW with almost 200k on it can be called reliable.

Mine has been, knock on wood.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2022, 12:38:54 pm »

What is with the front corners?  I can see the desire for something smaller  ;D  You may want to buff that out before sale?
That's Bella scraping the bumpers on the retaining wall (passenger side) and the garage door frame (drivers side) & you can't buff it out :rofl:  I've been contemplating taking the bumper cover off & sanding it down, filling, sanding, priming, painting, etc... but just too lazy to do that.

Problem is the used car market is crazy, new cars are hard to find in stock, so she's been all over the map. Replacement will be a hatchback of some sort most likely.

But she drove down to Toronto this morning in the 323i & is now having second thoughts... of course... :rofl:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Will she be sticking with a manual?  Maybe a GTI?

Manual or automatic this time, depending on what we find.

She'd love a 2022 GTI, but not many in stock & the dealers seem to be jacking up the prices on them.

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm »
I've been contemplating taking the bumper cover off & sanding it down, filling, sanding, priming, painting, etc... but just too lazy to do that.

Good.  Total waste of time and material which ain't cheap anymore.  We are talking beater land here folks, although an intriguing one.  Sell as is.  Test drive with you in the passenger seat reasonable, but buyer must display DL to you and their DL number must be on the Bill of Sale including exact time of day of sale.  Make sure the DL is not expired.

The reason for the DL is even though that Bimmer may be towed or driven from your residence, without a definitive identification of the buyer, that car is still your liability and your insurer will take a powder if things get messy.
Good points, thanks!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2022, 12:40:37 pm »
$6700 would be a steal here in SK. Would be sold within the hour. Buddy just bought the same car with an auto. Slightly less KM, but figured he got a a good price at 11k.  At that price you’d get a rusty 2008 Mazda3 around here.

Good luck with the sale Gurgie.
She paid $9500 for this 5yrs ago now, crazy that they're selling for North of that in SK.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2022, 12:43:54 pm »
I'm not sure a 10 year old BMW with almost 200k on it can be called reliable.

Mine has been, knock on wood.
Bella's has been pretty decent overall as well. The traction control was acting up, but I solved that issue with a simple wheel speed sensor cleaning & she had no issue with it since, fingers crossed :rofl:  if it acts up before we sell it I'll just replace that wheel speed sensor.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2022, 02:20:09 pm »
$6700 would be a steal here in SK. Would be sold within the hour. Buddy just bought the same car with an auto. Slightly less KM, but figured he got a a good price at 11k.  At that price you’d get a rusty 2008 Mazda3 around here.

Good luck with the sale Gurgie.
She paid $9500 for this 5yrs ago now, crazy that they're selling for North of that in SK.

and it looked really good when you got your hands on it.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2022, 10:11:01 pm »
Yeah, these values are nuts. My colleague just got rear-ended in his '11 328xi automatic (about 150k) that he bought for under ~$5k a few months ago. Insurance paid out $11,300+HST, plus nearly $4k in rental car bills.

Great cars though, I wish I had room for another daily, I like these a lot.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2022, 08:25:46 am »
Typical FGC, works great until we have some people come look at it & then it throws a check engine light :banghead:

Looks like it's the Vanos solenoids, I've cleaned them before, but looks like it's time for new ones. They arrived yesterday from Rockauto, but we're away in Tremblant, so that'll have to wait until we get back. Hopefully that solves the issue & I'll repost the ad & hopefully unload the car in the next week or so. Then the hunt for a newer hatchback really starts :rofl:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2022, 08:46:33 am »
Typical FGC, works great until we have some people come look at it & then it throws a check engine light :banghead:

Looks like it's the Vanos solenoids, I've cleaned them before, but looks like it's time for new ones. They arrived yesterday from Rockauto, but we're away in Tremblant, so that'll have to wait until we get back. Hopefully that solves the issue & I'll repost the ad & hopefully unload the car in the next week or so. Then the hunt for a newer hatchback really starts :rofl:

Good luck.  Hope you get top dollar and find something interesting to buy.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2022, 09:57:07 pm »

Terrible luck but looks like an easy fix for you.

My ABS, DTC, brake and engine light came on last week. New LR axle assembly, ABS sensor, and ignition coil. $1k.  ::)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2022, 11:07:12 am »

LOL... $hit  happens... some years ago when I sold my Mazda3, days before posting the car for sale the engine fan went kaput - cost me $1200 to replace plus had to replace the battery...

Not to mention I put a big dent on the fender parking the car in the garage one night....

It's called bad luck...

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2022, 02:57:45 pm »

LOL... $hit  happens... some years ago when I sold my Mazda3, days before posting the car for sale the engine fan went kaput - cost me $1200 to replace plus had to replace the battery...

Not to mention I put a big dent on the fender parking the car in the garage one night....

It's called bad luck...

I sold Mazda way way back. It was a GLC (remember those?). Anyways all was good until I went to sell it and during test drive the lights came on. Boy was I embarrassed at the timing. Anyways changed alternator and sold the car. Just praying my current BMW sale goes off without a bunch of lights coming on during test drive.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2022, 02:47:58 pm »
Replaced the Vano solenoids today at lunchtime & then cleared the check engine light. Started the car several times (as this is when it seems to throw a code at start it will idle up to 1500rpm after about 10-15secs), took it for a drive & all seems good now. Car runs so nice & the seats are so comfortable as well.

Will probably re-post the ad, though Bella is having second thoughts now as she doesn't wanna get into car payments :rofl: Shiny new things look nice until they cost you $300 every 2 weeks for 5yrs  :rofl:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2022, 03:05:36 pm »
Replaced the Vano solenoids today at lunchtime & then cleared the check engine light. Started the car several times (as this is when it seems to throw a code at start it will idle up to 1500rpm after about 10-15secs), took it for a drive & all seems good now. Car runs so nice & the seats are so comfortable as well.

Will probably re-post the ad, though Bella is having second thoughts now as she doesn't wanna get into car payments :rofl: Shiny new things look nice until they cost you $300 every 2 weeks for 5yrs  :rofl:

Have you talked to her about 'refreshing' and sorting the BMW?  Getting the bumpers repainted, the interior deep-cleaned and detailed, maybe some window tint, or something else to give it that little special feeling once again.  She clearly still likes the car, and doing a refresh could liven it up for her for a few more years.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2022, 03:56:29 pm »

Have you talked to her about 'refreshing' and sorting the BMW?  Getting the bumpers repainted, the interior deep-cleaned and detailed, maybe some window tint, or something else to give it that little special feeling once again.  She clearly still likes the car, and doing a refresh could liven it up for her for a few more years.

She did talk about putting some more cash into it & then just keeping it for a while longer as well, so she's really on the fence right now. She knows the used car market is strong right now, and realizes she'd get some decent cash for it, but then the cost of replacement is also higher. Would be nice if she could sell it & then just not get another car until next spring, which might be doable between the SLK & Passport. Some discussions to be had  ;D :rofl:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2022, 04:54:04 pm »
You could use the Golf or Higlander and pay in beer and Cigars. Win/Win.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2022, 10:45:37 am »
Well, due to us getting COVID, the car sale kinda got paused. And then Bella managed to hit the retaining wall on our driveway (again) last week hard enough to dislodge the fog light & cave in the lower bumper  :banghead:  Her son managed to pop the bumper back out & then last night I was able to pop the fog light back into place. Had to remove some of the underbody panels to get to it. Then the check engine light came back on... and then turned itself back off again  :banghead:  I've cleared the codes again & we'll see what happens. There are now 4 people interested in coming to see it, but I was holding them off until today so we're clear of COVID. What a pain in the ass!!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2022, 10:51:01 am »
Clearly it was all your fault for having that stupid retaining wall in that stupid spot.  Way to go Gurgie.

Damn, that IS annoying as hell.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2022, 02:23:37 pm »
So your getting rid of it.  What's next for her?  That won't be too easy.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2022, 02:27:54 pm »
So your getting rid of it.  What's next for her?  That won't be too easy.

We'll see if it sells this weekend. If it does, she wants a small hatchback, so Mini Cooper (again), GTI, Forte 5, etc... are all on the list.