Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Toyota Prius Prime  (Read 7644 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Toyota Prius Prime
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 08:40:23 pm »
Last time the market didn't bear their stupid plug-in pricing...

As I said before, if it wasn't for provincial rebates, the Prime's "MSRP" would be lower. But in Toyota's opinion, if there is "free" taxpayer money, why not take advantage?
But there's still tax payer money in the US! In some states, with rebates, it's the same price or cheaper than the regular Prius.

Do the same thing here. Price it where it should be (low $30s). With the rebates this thing sells like hotcakes and undercuts and strangles the competition.
Maybe they keep the price high because they cannot produced that many.
I had considered that. But I find it unlikely. That would mean once they can keep up with demand they'll drop the price?  I think not.

Honestly, they should just get rid of the regular Prius and just concentrate on the plug in...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 02:25:50 pm »

As I said before, if it wasn't for provincial rebates, the Prime's "MSRP" would be lower. But in Toyota's opinion, if there is "free" taxpayer money, why not take advantage?

This is why I don't like this style of subsidy.

Mortgage payment tax deductions work the same way in the US. Housing prices basically increased to compensate for the amount of the tax deduction. It resulted in a shift in revenue from the government to the private sector.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 09:43:17 pm »
It resulted in a shift in revenue from the government to the private sector.
that's not necessarily a bad thing...as well, the more money the private sector has, the more money the government ends up getting anyway (through various taxation forms).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 10:13:33 am »

But there's still tax payer money in the US! In some states, with rebates, it's the same price or cheaper than the regular Prius.

Do the same thing here. Price it where it should be (low $30s). With the rebates this thing sells like hotcakes and undercuts and strangles the competition.

This is the tech trim.  So isn't the USA equivalent the Prime advance?  Looking at their specs it appears so, and that car is $33,100 USD.  So in fact the Canadian car is cheaper when you factor in the exchange rate. 

The issue is Toyota may not offer the lower base models here. I don't know since this thing isn't on Toyota.ca.   

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 02:47:35 pm »

Maybe they keep the price high because they cannot produced that many.
I had considered that. But I find it unlikely. That would mean once they can keep up with demand they'll drop the price?  I think not.

Honestly, they should just get rid of the regular Prius and just concentrate on the plug in...

The biggest customers for the Prius are the taxi-companies, and they wouldn't be interested in the Plug-in Prius.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 03:21:47 pm »

This is the tech trim.  So isn't the USA equivalent the Prime advance?  Looking at their specs it appears so, and that car is $33,100 USD.  So in fact the Canadian car is cheaper when you factor in the exchange rate. 

The issue is Toyota may not offer the lower base models here. I don't know since this thing isn't on Toyota.ca.
That is indeed the issue....no base car. But if you look at the specs, the base car is very decently optioned.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 12:48:04 pm »

It is, sort of. Clear your browsing history, then access Toyota.ca and say you're from Quebec. Choose English, and voilą! You can build & price the Prime. There is a lower trim vs the one I tested, starting at $35,204 all-in price. Add taxes, deduct gvt incentive.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 12:55:40 pm »
How does the provincial gvt work ? Is it the dealership that takes care of the application process and sell you the vehicle minus the incentive amount, or do you pay full price and then apply for the gvt rebate ?

Because I guess the purchase of one of these vehicles could be subject to the incentive. I guess many people wouldn't buy it if they are not 100% certain that they will get the incentive.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 01:03:27 pm »
How does the provincial gvt work ? Is it the dealership that takes care of the application process and sell you the vehicle minus the incentive amount, or do you pay full price and then apply for the gvt rebate ?

Because I guess the purchase of one of these vehicles could be subject to the incentive. I guess many people wouldn't buy it if they are not 100% certain that they will get the incentive.

Pay full price, then apply. The dealer gives you the info for the form, sometimes they fill it out for you. Verify the gvt website prior to purchase to confirm vehicle eligibility & rebate. It was a quick process in my case (I bought an Audi e-tron this summer), and got my $4k check quickly. Put the money towards your loan or anything else, at your wish.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 01:35:55 pm »
Thanks. But does gvt website tell you if the incentive is still available ? I heard that your vehicle may be eligible, but if the gvt funds allocated yearly to the incentive program are depleted, you don't get it. Is this true ?

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 11:08:55 pm »
Now available online for Ontario (March) $32,990 base MSRP before rebate.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 11:17:19 pm »

Rebate $7k??

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 11:25:02 pm »

Rebate $7k??
Yes, handy they allow you to apply it on the build and price.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 11:26:29 pm »

Rebate $7k??
Yes, handy they allow you to apply it on the build and price.

Oh!!  Was guessing.

Hmmm...with that rebate I think the Leaf will be cheaper.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 11:32:30 pm »
For me the 5.5 hour charge time on 120v and 1035 km per tank appeals to me. Hmm.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 12:22:23 am »
too bad about the higher interest rate though (6.34%)...a red Prius Prime with the tech package, all in, is $574.03/month for 84 months...the new Leaf SL (top trim) in blue is $478/month for 84 months (2.99%)...full EV and $100/month cheaper...I know looks are subjective, but I think the new Leaf looks better too.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2018, 06:56:42 am »
At that price why wouldn't you just pay cash  ???

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 07:50:51 am »
one, I don't have $50k in cash sitting in my bank account...two, I make more than 2.99% on my investments (I make more than 6.34% too)...paying cash makes no sense anymore (at least while borrowing rates are so low).

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2018, 08:34:38 am »
one, I don't have $50k in cash sitting in my bank account...two, I make more than 2.99% on my investments (I make more than 6.34% too)...paying cash makes no sense anymore (at least while borrowing rates are so low).
Yikes $50k....I'm I missing something on the build and price? I'm in Ontario and I see on the road cash price from $32,200k to $38,500k with $7000 rebate applied.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 08:56:54 am »
too bad about the higher interest rate though (6.34%)...a red Prius Prime with the tech package, all in, is $574.03/month for 84 months...the new Leaf SL (top trim) in blue is $478/month for 84 months (2.99%)...full EV and $100/month cheaper...I know looks are subjective, but I think the new Leaf looks better too.
I think the Ioniq plug in and Niro plug in are more direct competitors to the Prime. Full EV doesn't work for me. I've been looking at Hybrids as a potential replacement for our TDI but due to rebates on plug in's they are looking like a decent option too.