Author Topic: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.  (Read 127697 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #640 on: May 03, 2018, 05:55:29 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmaG_SQpePQ  straight pipes review

note our local celeb in the video...  :P

Fun fact: our in-house "Stig" went out in the pouring rain at the wheel of the (slower) 2.0T 8AT and slashed 1 second off Jakub's winning time. With 2 passengers.  ;)

Another fun fact: after the media day, we did two more full days of lapping with the cars with our salespeople from across Canada. Using the same 8 cars, we covered well over 150 laps in each. Not one failure, and each still had more than enough brake and tire left. Top speeds on the back straight were just over 200 kph. This thing is a monster.

Cool beans. I expect the top level V6 will get most of the ink (and bandwidth) but I am really looking forward to an in depth review of the 2.0T sport manual.

Or maybe I just need to swing by your office again.  ;D
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 03, 2018, 07:49:15 pm »

Fun fact: our in-house "Stig" went out in the pouring rain at the wheel of the (slower) 2.0T 8AT and slashed 1 second off Jakub's winning time. With 2 passengers.  ;)

Another fun fact: after the media day, we did two more full days of lapping with the cars with our salespeople from across Canada. Using the same 8 cars, we covered well over 150 laps in each. Not one failure, and each still had more than enough brake and tire left. Top speeds on the back straight were just over 200 kph. This thing is a monster.

So nothing like an Alfa then... :think: :banana: :banana: :run:

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #642 on: May 03, 2018, 09:30:13 pm »

Does the lighter engine help in this particular 'track' with what seems to be a lot of corners? I remember V6 versions of Genesis going around tracks faster than V8 versions years ago due it the lighter front end.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 04, 2018, 10:26:14 am »
So Pat, is there going to be some sort of sporty genesis suv in two years that I can replace my wife’s mdx with? G70 but suv And proper midsize?

Let’s get it going man
+1
I will be on the market for a compact-to-mid-size SUV/CUV in less than 2 years. The candidates are RDX, QX50, RX, and 4Runner.
Genesis CUV would spring right at the top of the list (as long as it does not look like the concept which is hideous).

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 05, 2018, 03:25:28 pm »
So Pat, is there going to be some sort of sporty genesis suv in two years that I can replace my wife’s mdx with? G70 but suv And proper midsize?

Let’s get it going man
+1
I will be on the market for a compact-to-mid-size SUV/CUV in less than 2 years. The candidates are RDX, QX50, RX, and 4Runner.
Genesis CUV would spring right at the top of the list (as long as it does not look like the concept which is hideous).
Should put the new RAV4 on your list...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #645 on: May 06, 2018, 08:51:17 am »

Let’s get it going man
+1
Shouldn't  that be NX 300

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 06, 2018, 07:16:09 pm »

Let’s get it going man
+1

Anemic 4-banger in a CUV. No thanks.
I hate the 2.5 NA in Forester.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #647 on: May 06, 2018, 08:15:49 pm »

Let’s get it going man
+1

Anemic 4-banger in a CUV. No thanks.
I hate the 2.5 NA in Forester.
what about the new hybrid (won't be out until early next year though)??...also, i think the new engine in upcoming RAV is improved in power...might not be as bad as you think...i think they will be making them here too (Woodstock) so you might as well support those workers, you're paying for them anyway.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #648 on: May 06, 2018, 09:18:41 pm »
I checked out one in the flesh early last week at Pearson when I was flying home.   This is one DAMN fine looking sedan.  I'm an Infiniti slappie at heart, but if I was in the market now I would give this one very serious look. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 04, 2018, 02:47:10 pm »
Saw one in white , it was Ok, look like any othe sedan out there, not special like a Passat

What is with the plastic above the plate ?
It covered a bit of the grill
The plastic does show on the picture , but it about the same size as the plate
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:10:18 pm by Airbalancer »

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 04, 2018, 02:58:16 pm »
Saw one in white , it was Ok, look like any othe sedan out there, not special like a Passat

OMG I just about died laughing. Good one!  :winner: :laugh:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 04, 2018, 03:31:52 pm »
that is where the sensors are (a lot of newer cars do this)...it's for the adaptive cruise and auto braking features.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 04, 2018, 03:44:10 pm »
that is where the sensors are (a lot of newer cars do this)...it's for the adaptive cruise and auto braking features.
Ok, that what I thought , but never notice a piece of plastic covering the grill

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #653 on: July 05, 2018, 08:32:07 am »
Ok, that what I thought , but never notice a piece of plastic covering the grill

Engineering choice. Some companies mount it lower in the fascia where it can be hidden, improving aesthetics at the expense of performance (lower line of sight = reduced ability to detect obstacles). Others choose to mount it high for better functionality, but the result is the need for a plastic window like that. Mercedes-Benz puts it right in the tri-star logo, which is ideally-shaped for such an application. Our emblem isn't conducive so window it is.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 05, 2018, 08:34:52 am »

Engineering choice. Some companies mount it lower in the fascia where it can be hidden, improving aesthetics at the expense of performance (lower line of sight = reduced ability to detect obstacles). Others choose to mount it high for better functionality, but the result is the need for a plastic window like that. Mercedes-Benz puts it right in the tri-star logo, which is ideally-shaped for such an application. Our emblem isn't conducive so window it is.
Thanks for the answer , probably the only reason I noticed it was do to reflection of the sun on it

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 05, 2018, 02:57:56 pm »

Engineering choice. Some companies mount it lower in the fascia where it can be hidden, improving aesthetics at the expense of performance (lower line of sight = reduced ability to detect obstacles).

I don't know if I agree with that. Mine is in a small window right beside the fog light. It "sees"for a real long ways...too far IMO that I have to lower the distance while on the 401. And this is back in 2004.

It was later replaced with the sensors in the emblem on the grill.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 05, 2018, 03:43:53 pm »

Engineering choice. Some companies mount it lower in the fascia where it can be hidden, improving aesthetics at the expense of performance (lower line of sight = reduced ability to detect obstacles).

I don't know if I agree with that. Mine is in a small window right beside the fog light. It "sees"for a real long ways...too far IMO that I have to lower the distance while on the 401. And this is back in 2004.

i'm assuming your car only has adaptive cruise though...a lot of newer cars also integrate pedestrian detection, auto braking/collision warning, etc.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #657 on: July 05, 2018, 03:59:38 pm »

i'm assuming your car only has adaptive cruise though...a lot of newer cars also integrate pedestrian detection, auto braking/collision warning, etc.

Bingo.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 05, 2018, 04:10:01 pm »
Here the car

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #659 on: July 05, 2018, 04:33:15 pm »
Shame about the licence plate.  :(