Author Topic: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.  (Read 127645 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #620 on: May 02, 2018, 12:52:09 pm »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Infiniti Q50; RIP 2007 Mazdaspeed6
« Reply #621 on: May 02, 2018, 02:09:50 pm »
I want this car!

I had to unexpectedly replace my now deceased Mazdaspeed6 last week and I couldn't wait for the G70.  When a lightly used corporate demo becomes available *nudge nudge*, I'll give serious consideration to putting my 2-yr lease on LeaseBusters to make room for a G70.  The lease is a great one and should be easy to get out of...

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #622 on: May 03, 2018, 10:06:48 am »
I want this car!

I had to unexpectedly replace my now deceased Mazdaspeed6 last week and I couldn't wait for the G70.  When a lightly used corporate demo becomes available *nudge nudge*, I'll give serious consideration to putting my 2-yr lease on LeaseBusters to make room for a G70.  The lease is a great one and should be easy to get out of...

What happened to the Speed?  And what's wrong with the Q50?  They're direct competitors, so wondering what would make you want to get out of the Q50 and into the G70.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 03, 2018, 10:08:04 am »
BTW, I saw a blue G70 driving around Markham last weekend.  Looked really good.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 03, 2018, 11:36:52 am »
I want this car!

What happened to the Speed?  And what's wrong with the Q50?  They're direct competitors, so wondering what would make you want to get out of the Q50 and into the G70.

The Speed had started to rust badly around the back wheel wells and looked like hell, but I could put up with that.  Recently the timing chain started to make considerable noise and the rear suspension needed work.  Repairs were going to cost too much for a car that was so rusty, so rather than putting money into it, and no longer feeling safe driving my family in it, I made the decision to get something new. 

The Q50 has been great, but I've been following the Stinger and G70 development for a while.  I shopped the Stinger when I was looking (also looked at the TLX and the GTI (and R)).  The GTI was too small for my needs -- I have a 13 yr old daughter who hated the back seat -- and I really did not like the TLX.  The Stinger was fantastic, but the pricing didn't work for me -- no negotiating room, no money on the hood and very high lease rates with low residuals.  While there won't be negotiating room on the G70, I like the all-in pricing, higher level of service and higher lease residuals.

The Infiniti is very comfortable, has really good power and looks great.  My wife loved the Infiniti, which is a huge factor, and  I'm really enjoying it.  It is tough getting used to a "softer" car than the Speed6.  The Speed felt ridiculously well connected to the road and far more visceral to drive, but the performance of the Q50 is pretty impressive, even on the stock tires.  My gripes so far are that the steering to be a bit numb, the tires are hard as rock (cursed run flats) and the sound system is just OK.  The thing that sold me on the Infiniti, to be honest, was the lease I got -- 24 months for (effectively) $524 per month, tax in ($499/month plus $600 down). That is about $225 per month less than the Stinger (on a 48 month lease). 

I'm likely to keep it through the lease, but I want to test the G70 before I have to buy winter tires for the Q50. 

There wasn't a G70 available to me to try -- I contacted the dealer with no response  :'( -- but it sounds like exactly what I want in terms of responsive, sporty drive and luxury feel.  I will take a look later in the year, ideally at a time when there aren't any deals to be had at Infiniti.

If nothing else, the G70 will be top of my list in 2 yrs.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 03, 2018, 11:51:43 am »
Same :censor: happened with my Speed. Once rust started setting in, it became really difficult to justify even maintenance expenses.  I'm glad it went to a good home though, the buyers really appreciated the car.

I know what you mean about the feel.  My Speed Protégé also had the Mazdaspeed touring suspension from Japan.  Slightly lower and much stiffer.  It felt very raw and connected.  I laugh when people complain about how stiff an STI is.  But, in terms of new 4 door cars available when I was car shopping, the STI and Focus RS were probably closest to the raw feeling of the Speed.  The Civic Type R is most-likely in there too but wasn't available at the time.

FWIW, I like both the Q50 and G70 which is why I was wondering what your thought process was.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #627 on: May 03, 2018, 11:55:16 am »
Video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmaG_SQpePQ

"I am here to tell you that this car drives better than the Kia Stinger."

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #628 on: May 03, 2018, 11:56:54 am »
Same :censor: happened with my Speed. Once rust started setting in, it became really difficult to justify even maintenance expenses.  I'm glad it went to a good home though, the buyers really appreciated the car.

I know what you mean about the feel.  My Speed Protégé also had the Mazdaspeed touring suspension from Japan.  Slightly lower and much stiffer.  It felt very raw and connected.  I laugh when people complain about how stiff an STI is.  But, in terms of new 4 door cars available when I was car shopping, the STI and Focus RS were probably closest to the raw feeling of the Speed.  The Civic Type R is most-likely in there too but wasn't available at the time.

FWIW, I like both the Q50 and G70 which is why I was wondering what your thought process was.

My friend has had the Q50 for three years and has no problems with it.  The exterior aged very well.
However, the infotainment system leaves something to be desired for a tech lover like myself.

Space-wise, isn't G70 tighter in the back that Q50?

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 03, 2018, 12:12:37 pm »
Video review:

I'm liking this car more and more.   
I like Patrick's surprise appearance too!

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: May 03, 2018, 12:18:39 pm »

My friend has had the Q50 for three years and has no problems with it.  The exterior aged very well.
However, the infotainment system leaves something to be desired for a tech lover like myself.

The interior of the Q50 is great and the seats are really comfortable.  My wife convinced me to get the stone coloured interior because it is a 2-yr lease, and it is very nice, but I wouldn't want it long term.  Also, the dealership only had the electric blue with a stone interior and I wanted the blue.  The infotainment system will take some getting used to, but I'm coming from a Speed6 that had a 6cd changer and a radio, no bluetooth or satellite and it didn't comprehend the concept of an apple or android interface.

The Q50 has a fair bit of room in the rear seat, about the same as the Stinger, so more than the G70, I would expect.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #631 on: May 03, 2018, 12:24:02 pm »
I still regret not biting the bullet on a MazdaSpeed 6. I should have picked one up after I wrote off my first 6 wagon, but by that time I didn't want to lose the wagon practicality.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #632 on: May 03, 2018, 12:32:35 pm »
Video review:

I'm liking this car more and more.   
I like Patrick's surprise appearance too!

The wheels do indeed bother me.  Add in the gap between tires and fenders.....I think I'd grab the 19's.  They suit the car much better IMO. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #633 on: May 03, 2018, 12:40:09 pm »

Kinda figured that would be the case, especially with it being smaller.

Really looking forward to taking a six-speed one for a spin.

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 03, 2018, 12:49:28 pm »
I still regret not biting the bullet on a MazdaSpeed 6. I should have picked one up after I wrote off my first 6 wagon, but by that time I didn't want to lose the wagon practicality.

I drove mine for over 10 yrs and loved it.  I had no trouble with the car other than general maintenance items -- brakes and such. If it weren't for the rust, I'd have seriously considered making the repairs and keeping it for a few more years.  It was hard to let it go. 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 03, 2018, 01:15:41 pm »

The interior of the Q50 is great and the seats are really comfortable.  My wife convinced me to get the stone coloured interior because it is a 2-yr lease, and it is very nice, but I wouldn't want it long term.  Also, the dealership only had the electric blue with a stone interior and I wanted the blue.  The infotainment system will take some getting used to, but I'm coming from a Speed6 that had a 6cd changer and a radio, no bluetooth or satellite and it didn't comprehend the concept of an apple or android interface.

The Q50 has a fair bit of room in the rear seat, about the same as the Stinger, so more than the G70, I would expect.

Yeah I sat in the back seat of G70 when it was set up at a local mall and found it to be too small for someone my size.  I suppose your daughter will be okay in the back.

Like you, I can see myself getting one of these as a pre-owned or a demo at a much lower price in two or three years.  I personally wouldn't get the 2018 since it's the first MY model, though.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #636 on: May 03, 2018, 01:55:12 pm »

The Speed had started to rust badly around the back wheel wells and looked like hell, but I could put up with that.  Recently the timing chain started to make considerable noise and the rear suspension needed work.  Repairs were going to cost too much for a car that was so rusty, so rather than putting money into it, and no longer feeling safe driving my family in it, I made the decision to get something new. 

The Q50 has been great, but I've been following the Stinger and G70 development for a while.  I shopped the Stinger when I was looking (also looked at the TLX and the GTI (and R)).  The GTI was too small for my needs -- I have a 13 yr old daughter who hated the back seat -- and I really did not like the TLX.  The Stinger was fantastic, but the pricing didn't work for me -- no negotiating room, no money on the hood and very high lease rates with low residuals.  While there won't be negotiating room on the G70, I like the all-in pricing, higher level of service and higher lease residuals.

The Infiniti is very comfortable, has really good power and looks great.  My wife loved the Infiniti, which is a huge factor, and  I'm really enjoying it.  It is tough getting used to a "softer" car than the Speed6.  The Speed felt ridiculously well connected to the road and far more visceral to drive, but the performance of the Q50 is pretty impressive, even on the stock tires.  My gripes so far are that the steering to be a bit numb, the tires are hard as rock (cursed run flats) and the sound system is just OK.  The thing that sold me on the Infiniti, to be honest, was the lease I got -- 24 months for (effectively) $524 per month, tax in ($499/month plus $600 down). That is about $225 per month less than the Stinger (on a 48 month lease). 

I'm likely to keep it through the lease, but I want to test the G70 before I have to buy winter tires for the Q50. 

There wasn't a G70 available to me to try -- I contacted the dealer with no response  :'( -- but it sounds like exactly what I want in terms of responsive, sporty drive and luxury feel.  I will take a look later in the year, ideally at a time when there aren't any deals to be had at Infiniti.

If nothing else, the G70 will be top of my list in 2 yrs.

I've always been curious about the Speed6. Never drove one but they seemed awesome - close in mission to my Legacy GT but maybe a bit faster and sportier. Yeah, those Stinger lease #'s are just nuts - but your Infiniti lease deal is insanely good - well done  8)

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 03, 2018, 02:38:15 pm »

I've always been curious about the Speed6. Never drove one but they seemed awesome - close in mission to my Legacy GT but maybe a bit faster and sportier. Yeah, those Stinger lease #'s are just nuts - but your Infiniti lease deal is insanely good - well done  8)

When I bought the Speed6, the Legacy GT Spec B (or something like that) was on my shopping list and was a close second.  I got a better deal on the Speed and never looked back.  The Speed wasn't perfect -- the clutch was a beast and the plastic dash and the leatherette seats added up to a pretty cheap interior by today's standards (it was ok for the time) -- but the motor and awd were fantastic. 

The lease deal was too good to pass up.  It is the Signature edition with the 3.0t.

After watching the video (and Patrick's cameo), I'm more interested than ever to try the G70. 

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #638 on: May 03, 2018, 02:41:59 pm »

When I bought the Speed6, the Legacy GT Spec B (or something like that) was on my shopping list and was a close second.  I got a better deal on the Speed and never looked back.  The Speed wasn't perfect -- the clutch was a beast and the plastic dash and the leatherette seats added up to a pretty cheap interior by today's standards (it was ok for the time) -- but the motor and awd were fantastic. 

The lease deal was too good to pass up.  It is the Signature edition with the 3.0t.

After watching the video (and Patrick's cameo), I'm more interested than ever to try the G70.

Right on, given how long you were able to enjoy the Mazda, you no doubt made a great choice.

Wow, I had assumed based on your deal you had the 2.0t  - that's awesome  :o

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #639 on: May 03, 2018, 05:36:43 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmaG_SQpePQ  straight pipes review

note our local celeb in the video...  :P

Fun fact: our in-house "Stig" went out in the pouring rain at the wheel of the (slower) 2.0T 8AT and slashed 1 second off Jakub's winning time. With 2 passengers.  ;)

Another fun fact: after the media day, we did two more full days of lapping with the cars with our salespeople from across Canada. Using the same 8 cars, we covered well over 150 laps in each. Not one failure, and each still had more than enough brake and tire left. Top speeds on the back straight were just over 200 kph. This thing is a monster.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:39:02 pm by Patrick_D1 »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.