Author Topic: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.  (Read 127720 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #480 on: April 11, 2018, 08:13:35 pm »

You just seem to be just fine with the IS350 only coming in auto so I guess I am confused why you expect the V6 Genesis to be equipped with a manual?   ???

I am fine with an auto only IS350.  Because there is no other choice.  As you say...it is what it is.  Now if the IS came with a 2.0T in manual "Sport", my argument would be the same.  Sports cars enthusiasts would rather the V6 with a manual. And I'd still want the IS350 because the engine is so much better than whatever 2.0T 4 pot they'd be offering.  Like in your G-cars....you'd have to have a pretty f-ing spectacular, unicorn 4 banger to make me want one over a VQ V6....manual or otherwise.  I don't want a manual just for the sake of manual if I'm not into the rest of the package, particularly the engine.  Sure, I can shift my own gears.  But a 4 pot engine sounds like crap, makes less power, maybe more lag, etc 

Same with the Q60.  Would I want a manual 2.0T Q60 just for the sake of a manual in that car?  HELL NO!  I would much rather a Red Sport in auto...because I think the overall package...despite no manual...is better and higher performing.

The G70 Sport is marketed as the enthusiasts choice.  And as an enthusiast, I'm disappointed the manual doesn't come with the V6. THAT would have been a special car.  With a 4 pot?  Not so much.  Sure, they should be commended for offering a manual.  And if you're happy with that fine.  But for me, if they were only going to offer a single car with a manual, I'd much, much rather it had been the V6.

I have no interest in the 4 banger..manual or otherwise.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #481 on: April 11, 2018, 08:18:27 pm »
 :iagree:
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #482 on: April 11, 2018, 08:29:16 pm »
Manual should be offered with both engines... pretty simple... it's not... hence the b*tching... rightfully so!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #483 on: April 11, 2018, 08:30:00 pm »
What ads are marketing this as an enthusiasts car?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 11, 2018, 08:34:25 pm »

"Sport"  trim with manual transmission, RWD, Brembos, LSD, 19s with summer rubber - who the hell else is it targeted at?

only thing missing: the "sport" engine

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 11, 2018, 08:35:01 pm »

I read an article with a Hyundai person who was saying this....why they chose the features and content and the RWD platform.  For enthusiasts.

And I'd also say calling the car being "Sport" is hinting who it's for.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #486 on: April 11, 2018, 08:36:57 pm »
Manual should be offered with both engines... pretty simple... it's not... hence the b*tching... rightfully so!

But why is the bi!tching rightfully so when virtually NO ONE else is offering it either?  It's like me brewing a beer that hardly anyone likes drinking, but I should brew it anyways......just because.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 11, 2018, 08:42:27 pm »
But why can't an enthusiast want a 4 cyl manual RWD car? You guys are just upset they didn't build it they way you wanted it. Not everybody wants a 6 cyl car and not everybody thinks a sporty enthusiast's car needs a 6 cyl.

Offline Barton

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +14/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic, Accord, Camry, Miata, and more
« Reply #488 on: April 11, 2018, 08:42:40 pm »

You just seem to be just fine with the IS350 only coming in auto so I guess I am confused why you expect the V6 Genesis to be equipped with a manual?   ???

I am fine with an auto only IS350.  Because there is no other choice.  As you say...it is what it is.  Now if the IS came with a 2.0T in manual "Sport", my argument would be the same.  Sports cars enthusiasts would rather the V6 with a manual. And I'd still want the IS350 because the engine is so much better than whatever 2.0T 4 pot they'd be offering.  Like in your G-cars....you'd have to have a pretty f-ing spectacular, unicorn 4 banger to make me want one over a VQ V6....manual or otherwise.  I don't want a manual just for the sake of manual if I'm not into the rest of the package, particularly the engine.  Sure, I can shift my own gears.  But a 4 pot engine sounds like crap, makes less power, maybe more lag, etc 

Same with the Q60.  Would I want a manual 2.0T Q60 just for the sake of a manual in that car?  HELL NO!  I would much rather a Red Sport in auto...because I think the overall package...despite no manual...is better and higher performing.

The G70 Sport is marketed as the enthusiasts choice.  And as an enthusiast, I'm disappointed the manual doesn't come with the V6. THAT would have been a special car.  With a 4 pot?  Not so much.  Sure, they should be commended for offering a manual.  And if you're happy with that fine.  But for me, if they were only going to offer a single car with a manual, I'd much, much rather it had been the V6.

I have no interest in the 4 banger..manual or otherwise.

I get your points, but again I ask: would you spend your $60K on a Genesis brand or would you rather get a BMW?

The business case doesn't make sense for a $60K stick-shift Genesis.  It makes sense at $45K, though.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #489 on: April 11, 2018, 08:43:24 pm »

But why is the bi!tching rightfully so when virtually NO ONE else is offering it either?  It's like me brewing a beer that hardly anyone likes drinking, but I should brew it anyways......just because.
340i still is, right? Just because NO ONE else is offering a manual doesn't make it right... wanna make a splash & impact in the market, offer the manual.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 11, 2018, 08:44:34 pm »

So you'd brew a beer that virtually no one else offers and use inferior ingredients.....just for the sake of offering this beer no one else makes?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #491 on: April 11, 2018, 08:46:10 pm »

340i still is, right? Just because NO ONE else is offering a manual doesn't make it right... wanna make a splash & impact in the market, offer the manual.

2018 may be the last year for the 340i manual, unfortunately.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 11, 2018, 08:47:03 pm »
Ok lets be honest here.

IF there was a manual 6 cyl version for sale right now and they ONLY packaged it as a top of the line SPORT trim. Who would be buying one right now? Not next year, not when it comes off lease, not when you find a used one, not when the sun angle is at 43 degrees. Right now.

I doubt there would be 5 people in all of Canada.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 11, 2018, 08:48:43 pm »
But why can't an enthusiast want a 4 cyl manual RWD car? You guys are just upset they didn't build it they way you wanted it. Not everybody wants a 6 cyl car and not everybody thinks a sporty enthusiast's car needs a 6 cyl.
why settle for the lesser engine? The one that sounds terrible in comparison, has less torque, less power...

It is like saying: "Yes, I want the turbo4 Camaro instead of the V8, even though I have the choice between the two." Or "I can afford a 911, but I want a Boxter"

Now if the turbo4 had really compelling reasons to pick it over the turbo6, other than marginal weight savings...then yeah I can see the argument.

oh and quad: I am sure many would consider getting it, just like how the Kia Stinger is flying out of the showrooms. What if it was a diamond in the rough, a real competitor to the BMWs, ATS, Giulia....WHAT IF. Make a good product, package it well, price it well, and people will buy it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 11, 2018, 08:48:58 pm »

I bet there would be more than 5.

But how many you think will buy the 4 banger manual? 

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #495 on: April 11, 2018, 08:50:31 pm »

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Why, so they can sell a whole 100 of them in Canada? 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 11, 2018, 08:51:51 pm »
why settle for the lesser engine? The one that sounds terrible in comparison, has less torque, less power...

It is like saying: "Yes, I want the turbo4 Camaro instead of the V8, even though I have the choice between the two." Or "I can afford a 911, but I want a Boxter"

Now if the turbo4 had really compelling reasons to pick it over the turbo6, other than marginal weight savings...then yeah I can see the argument.

And that is your opinon which I respect but it isn't everybodys. Why can't people understand this. Some people are more than happy with a 4 cyl.

I honestly don't know. But I'm not butt hurt about them only making a 4 cyl manual.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 11, 2018, 08:53:07 pm »

I bet there would be more than 5.

exactly: for such a nice vehicle, why make it substandard, or "that'll do"? Why not possibly make something great, instead they made something lukewarm.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 11, 2018, 08:53:22 pm »

I honestly don't know. But I'm not butt hurt about them only making a 4 cyl manual.

I don't think anyone is butt hurt.

Just a disappointing oversight is all.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 11, 2018, 08:56:24 pm »
exactly: for such a nice vehicle, why make it substandard, or "that'll do"? Why not possibly make something great, instead they made something lukewarm.

SUBSTANDARD? WTF? Now you are just being ridiculous.