Author Topic: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.  (Read 127791 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #340 on: February 20, 2018, 03:40:07 pm »
From what I understand, the powertrain guys wanted maximum airflow and the structural guys wanted the car to be as rigid as possible - ease-of-maintenance lost the battle in this case. All I can say is it was absolutely a conscious choice, since we're usually tops in the industry for ease-of-access. In our Hyundai 2.0T cars, for example, you can swap the air filter in less than 10 seconds.
This is typical engineering bs
Engineers design stuff without any care about servicing
I see it all the time on units I work one

Any sort of underhood bracing is going to result in something like this though.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 20, 2018, 03:49:25 pm »
That does look like an unnecessary pain in the ass to just to change a filter  ::)

Yeah.  I'm sure the mechanic doing filter change as part of the complimentary scheduled service is going to be soooooooo terribly bothered by that!  ::)  ::)  ;D

Who the fack talking about a mechanic changing the filter , I am writing about if I had to change it
Get off your high horse  ::)

Aside from the fact that it's going to be incredibly rare for a Genesis owner to do this sort of work themselves, you just need to remove one bolt and loosen another. It's not like you've gotta pull the engine to get to the filters or something.

Wait till he finds out you have to flip open a plastic cap in order to fill the windshield fluid reservoir - such a pain!

Don't they have a motor with a sensor to provide automatic opening for that? And opening the hood too? Just stand in front of the windshield fluid reservoir and do this with your finger for 3 seconds   :nono:  and pop!  For the lazy generation.  :P

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #342 on: February 20, 2018, 08:21:48 pm »
From what I understand, the powertrain guys wanted maximum airflow and the structural guys wanted the car to be as rigid as possible - ease-of-maintenance lost the battle in this case. All I can say is it was absolutely a conscious choice, since we're usually tops in the industry for ease-of-access. In our Hyundai 2.0T cars, for example, you can swap the air filter in less than 10 seconds.
This is typical engineering bs
Engineers design stuff without any care about servicing
I see it all the time on units I work one

Any sort of underhood bracing is going to result in something like this though.

If prioritizing air flow and structural rigidity in a performance sedan over ease of access to the air filter is "engineering bs" then I hope the Genesis engineers are full of it up to their eyeballs.  ;D
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 20, 2018, 08:26:30 pm »
I guess the "solution" is to remove the bracing when you take delivery of the car and throw it in the trash.  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #344 on: February 20, 2018, 08:33:10 pm »
I guess the "solution" is to remove the bracing when you take delivery of the car and throw it in the trash.  ;D

Yup!  Then you can swap out air filters to your heart's content!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 20, 2018, 08:37:06 pm »
Seems like a non-issue to me.

No. Freaking. Kidding.  Oy!

FFS....put some wing-nuts on it or knurled hand nuts if you want to remove it without tools.

Not a bid deal IMO.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #346 on: February 21, 2018, 08:06:18 am »
Patrick, was at the show yesterday and saw the G70, very nicely executed  :thumbup:  exterior styling is nice but I was most impressed with the interior styling, the overall design, fit, finish and quality of materials was up there with the best. I actually found the seats more comfortable than my A4

a job well done!

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #347 on: February 21, 2018, 08:14:56 am »
Patrick, was at the show yesterday and saw the G70, very nicely executed  :thumbup:  exterior styling is nice but I was most impressed with the interior styling, the overall design, fit, finish and quality of materials was up there with the best. I actually found the seats more comfortable than my A4

a job well done!

Thanks, we're excited about it! If you think it's nice sitting there, wait until you drive it  ;). I'm confident that this car will be the one to change people's view about our capabilities in terms of chassis calibration (steering, suspension balance, brake feel, etc.). As far as I'm concerned, I enjoy driving it to the point that the bomb of an engine (3.3T) is just a bonus.

Of course, people will need to judge for themselves! Bring it on.  :)

Speaking of, I think mine gets loaded on a boat next week...
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 21, 2018, 08:59:21 am »

Are you getting a 2.0T Sport?

What are the chances that a manual will be available for test drives in the GTA? I'm very interested in this car.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2018, 11:15:35 am »

What are the chances that a manual will be available for test drives in the GTA? I'm very interested in this car.

Start of production for the manual is 2.5 months behind the others, so my first G70 will be a 3.3T Sport. In fact, it will be my 20th car, and the first to not have three pedals! Once I turn it over I'll jump into a 2.0T Sport later in the summer or early fall.

I'll be requiring all distributors to take a manual demonstrator unit this year, so yes, you'll be able to test drive one when the time comes.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 21, 2018, 11:44:56 am »
I'll be requiring all distributors to take a manual demonstrator unit this year, so yes, you'll be able to test drive one when the time comes.

Awesome!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #351 on: February 21, 2018, 11:48:20 am »

Start of production for the manual is 2.5 months behind the others, so my first G70 will be a 3.3T Sport. In fact, it will be my 20th car, and the first to not have three pedals! Once I turn it over I'll jump into a 2.0T Sport later in the summer or early fall.

you can do that!!!???  holy sh1t, you are a bigshot, ain't ya, patrick? 
i'm not in the market for a sedan, but i hope it does well.  my buddy's looking forward to it as well.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 21, 2018, 11:54:00 am »

Awesome!

I don't think any of them will complain one bit.  :skid:

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Infiniti Q50; RIP 2007 Mazdaspeed6
« Reply #353 on: February 21, 2018, 12:50:19 pm »

Can I have your car when you're done with it??  :)  As much as I love driving a manual, I'd find the strength to deal with the 3.3T in auto form... (Oh the sacrifices I'm willing to make...)

I really, really like this car. 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #354 on: February 21, 2018, 04:41:29 pm »
Oh no, I'm thinking about getting a used one a few years down the road and the stabilizer bar will be in the way!!  :o

Kudos for Hyundai for getting this far in such short time.  I'm looking forward to the Canadian reviews.  Korean reviews I've seen, even those who are usually pretty critical, are mostly positives on G70s.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 21, 2018, 06:27:28 pm »
Can I have your car when you're done with it??  :)  As much as I love driving a manual, I'd find the strength to deal with the 3.3T in auto form... (Oh the sacrifices I'm willing to make...)

I really, really like this car.

Not to put ideas in your head, but yes, you can. My demo cars get sold off when they pass the model year change or 12,000-15,000 km, with an attractive incentive tacked on. Mine are good ones to pick up, as I treat them like gold.  ;)

Oh no, I'm thinking about getting a used one a few years down the road and the stabilizer bar will be in the way!!  :o

Kudos for Hyundai for getting this far in such short time.  I'm looking forward to the Canadian reviews.  Korean reviews I've seen, even those who are usually pretty critical, are mostly positives on G70s.

Indeed. The NA-spec cars are tuned firmer and have a few special goodies we fought for (i.e. LSD on AWD cars, unique Sport wheels, manual option), so response should be even better. Time will tell.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #356 on: February 21, 2018, 08:01:19 pm »
Not to put ideas in your head, but yes, you can. My demo cars get sold off when they pass the model year change or 12,000-15,000 km, with an attractive incentive tacked on. Mine are good ones to pick up, as I treat them like gold.  ;)
OK, now you have my interest... What colour is yours going to be?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #357 on: February 22, 2018, 10:32:21 am »
with all the interest on this vehicle, you're driving the price up...could be giving the Buick Envision a run for its money and actually appreciate in value.  ;)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Infiniti Q50; RIP 2007 Mazdaspeed6
« Reply #358 on: February 22, 2018, 12:21:23 pm »

Hands off my car!   :rofl2:

with all the interest on this vehicle, you're driving the price up...could be giving the Buick Envision a run for its money and actually appreciate in value.  ;)

No kidding.  ;D  <Jedi mind trick mode engaged> This is not the G70 you're looking for.  There are many others which better suit your needs.  <Jedi mind trick mode disengaged>

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 22, 2018, 12:50:10 pm »
I'm going to be rude and nudge the topic away from the G70 for a second....

I saw a 2nd gen Genesis (first gen of the re-design I guess) this morning and it had a Hyundai badge on the back. I thought they didn't put the H badge on after the re-design?

For two model years (2015, 2016) the second generation Genesis was sold only by Hyundai dealers and was Hyudai badged:

I had my dealer swap out the H badge for a Genesis badge shortly after purchase - matches the Genesis logo on the hood: