Author Topic: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.  (Read 127810 times)

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
Re: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2018, 12:16:43 pm »
Done a couple of leases , now preferred to buy used and keep it for over 5 years

Fiscally speaking, that's by far the smartest move.

Well the smartest move would be not to own a car :stick:

I suppose I'm not allowed to say that on a car forum  ;D
I guess the depends on were  you want  live

under no conditions is not owning a car the smartest move... i live in downtown toronto and it still is awful trying to get plans by taking the ttc.  service is dreadful.  8) 

i have bought 2 new cars, and 4 used cars.  the used cars were all 1 or 2 years old with low mileage.  my audi avant was just over a yr old when i bought it.

Actually, there are several.  Personally, I made do just fine in Regina for about 4 years without a car.  Lived a 5-minute walk away from work and the downtown pubs/restaurants.  Lots of friends lived nearby too so it was never difficult to get a ride on the odd occasion that I had plans in the burbs.  Definitely not the norm, but lots of people do go without vehicles.  If the conditions are right and it suits your lifestyle, it can be a huge cost savings not owning a vehicle.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #281 on: January 27, 2018, 12:42:47 pm »
No way I could do without a car.  It's part of my psyche.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #282 on: January 27, 2018, 03:08:32 pm »
The psyche is the main reason I have a car. I live in downtown Ottawa. I do not have parking at work, so I use transit for that. There's car sharing and car rentals which combined would be far cheaper than owning the car.

Even if I owned my vehicle outright the minimum a car would cost is $200 a month, ignoring opportunity cost of holding a vehicle. . This is on top of the bus pass I already have to have. In my case the car has cost about 4 times that. I'm not complaining, nor am I really preaching to anyone about car ownership. We're on a car forum!

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 27, 2018, 03:58:16 pm »
Question: do the taillights come on with the DRL's?  Driving in blowing snow today, and too many cars/trucks without headlights on (disabled DRL's should be illegal if it isn't - I'd ticket their a$$es if I was a cop  >:( ) and almost no one with taillights. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #284 on: January 27, 2018, 04:13:28 pm »
Question: do the taillights come on with the DRL's?  Driving in blowing snow today, and too many cars/trucks without headlights on (disabled DRL's should be illegal if it isn't - I'd ticket their a$$es if I was a cop  >:( ) and almost no one with taillights.

If not, can they be enabled by the dealer with a computer connection....like VCDS on Vag products
How about amber rear indicators...another pet peeve of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2018, 05:12:40 pm »
That is assuming anyone uses their indicators.  Was about to cross an intersection and the guy coming opposite decided he would go first...no big deal, he got there first.  Didn't put his blinker on until he was IN the intersection to make his left...ashhole...had to stop progress because the thought was we were both going straight, and now he's driving across our path. If the kid hadn't been in the car I would've middle fingered him.

Guess this should be in the things that pissmeof thread...lol.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2018, 10:24:17 am »

None of my cars have taillights come on with DRLs.  I'd have to turn on my headlights or parking lights manually from auto to turn my taillights on during snowy weather.

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Infiniti Q50; RIP 2007 Mazdaspeed6
« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2018, 12:10:04 pm »

None of my cars have taillights come on with DRLs.  I'd have to turn on my headlights or parking lights manually from auto to turn my taillights on during snowy weather.

And that is the problem.  Too few drivers know that they have to (or can) switch their headlights from "auto" to "on" to get their lights to come on before the automatic sensor decides they should come on.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 29, 2018, 12:39:45 pm »

Snowy weather usually means a bit cloudy, my vehicles would have the headlights on for sure - also because you are likely using the windshield wipers, which is another trigger for headlights on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #289 on: January 29, 2018, 12:55:37 pm »

And that is the problem.  Too few drivers know that they have to (or can) switch their headlights from "auto" to "on" to get their lights to come on before the automatic sensor decides they should come on.

Not exactly rocket science but yeah, that seems to elude a lot of people.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2018, 12:56:11 pm »

Snowy weather usually means a bit cloudy, my vehicles would have the headlights on for sure - also because you are likely using the windshield wipers, which is another trigger for headlights on.

I'm pretty sure he's asking more about people having their tail lights on.  I know my Golf R is set to automatic and the tail lights are always on but our Santa Fe the auto setting only has the tail lights on when it detects a certain level of darkness. 

I never understand why governments don't mandate headlight and tail lights to be on at all times.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2018, 01:32:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure he's asking more about people having their tail lights on.  I know my Golf R is set to automatic and the tail lights are always on but our Santa Fe the auto setting only has the tail lights on when it detects a certain level of darkness. 

I never understand why governments don't mandate headlight and tail lights to be on at all times.

I've always understood it's because there is not enough contrast when the brakes are applied in the daylight if the rear lights are on already.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2018, 07:49:13 pm »

I've always understood it's because there is not enough contrast when the brakes are applied in the daylight if the rear lights are on already.

That is a complete horse shyt excuse.  If you can't tell the difference you are a moron.  Plus a lot of vehicles have extra red light bars on the back that light up when they brake but are not on all the time.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2018, 07:58:43 pm »

That is a complete horse shyt excuse. 

No more of a horse shyt excuse than pining for tail lights to be on during the day/all the time.

If you can't see a car in the day without tail lights on you are a moron.

Same type of thing IMO.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2018, 09:16:46 pm »

That is a complete horse shyt excuse. If you can't tell the difference you are a moron.  Plus a lot of vehicles have extra red light bars on the back that light up when they brake but are not on all the time.

Just relaying what I've been told, so no need to get nasty.  I've had a few road safety sessions where that question has been asked.  I drive about 80k a year for work so I tend to pay attention to that kind of shyte.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2018, 08:26:13 am »

No more of a horse shyt excuse than pining for tail lights to be on during the day/all the time.

Same type of thing IMO.

There are times during daylight that having your tail lights on can help greatly, like when it's foggy or snowing, etc.  Sure it's fine when it's a nice sunny day to not have any ligths on, no excuse not to see the vehicle in front of you, but if it's foggy out and you get someone who is driving very slow, you may approach them at a speed that makes it very difficult to stop in time.

Obviously there are situations where having your DLR lights on and tail lights on during daylight makes sense.  Plus how does it hurt anyone to have all lights on all the time.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 30, 2018, 08:27:37 am »

That is a complete horse shyt excuse. If you can't tell the difference you are a moron.  Plus a lot of vehicles have extra red light bars on the back that light up when they brake but are not on all the time.

Just relaying what I've been told, so no need to get nasty.  I've had a few road safety sessions where that question has been asked.  I drive about 80k a year for work so I tend to pay attention to that kind of shyte.

Sorry wasn't getting nasty at you, more about the thinking behind it (not your thinking but the decision makers).

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 30, 2018, 10:33:47 am »

Sorry wasn't getting nasty at you, more about the thinking behind it (not your thinking but the decision makers).

Well in that case... :cheers: 

I also agree with you as i think the benefits of having lights on permanently outweigh any of the negatives that come to my mind.  There are just way too many people driving around without lights when it is dark.  Photocells are cheap and would not add much to the price of a car but you still have to have the setting on auto for them to work and that seems to be asking too much of some people.  ::)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2018, 11:14:22 am »

Same type of thing IMO.

I think it's more about the number idiots who don't even know how or when to turn on their lights and you end up with a 1/5 of the driving population at night or in bad weather with no back lights.  It's tough to see those idiots.  To counter that ignorance, we should all just have all the lights all the time.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 30, 2018, 11:36:55 am »

Same type of thing IMO.

I think it's more about the number idiots who don't even know how or when to turn on their lights and you end up with a 1/5 of the driving population at night or in bad weather with no back lights.  It's tough to see those idiots.  To counter that ignorance, we should all just have all the lights all the time.

I was driving behind a black Bentley on the 407 a couple weeks back - night time, bad weather.  It was like a big, expensive near-invisible black hole on the highway.  Proof that wealth is no immunization against idiocy.