Author Topic: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.  (Read 127828 times)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
Re: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2018, 03:24:10 pm »
^ The steering in the Infiniti is the suck I believe I read somewhere..

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2018, 03:35:09 pm »
I didn't realize leasing was so popular with the forum membership - I always assumed you guys bought your cars.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2018, 04:30:22 pm »
I didn't realize leasing was so popular with the forum membership - I always assumed you guys bought your cars.
Where have you been all these years  :o

I think most people here probably lease when it comes to something new

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2018, 05:00:20 pm »
Where have you been all these years :o

I think most people here probably lease when it comes to something new

Not paying attention, clearly.  :-[

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2018, 05:03:38 pm »
I dunno about most people but it seems to be fairly popular. It can work well if you like to switch things up fairly frequently.

Sorta kicking myself for not doing a two year lease on my Clubman. Not because I'm not happy with it, but because it would let me get something else sooner.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2018, 05:07:43 pm »
I dunno about most people but it seems to be fairly popular. It can work well if you like to switch things up fairly frequently.

Sorta kicking myself for not doing a two year lease on my Clubman. Not because I'm not happy with it, but because it would let me get something else sooner.

With repeated 2 year leases though, you are always taking the biggest depreciation hit.  I guess if you only look at it as $x per month to keep you in a fresh toy in perpetuity, then it makes no difference. I do enjoy brief periods of no car payments, though.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2018, 05:07:55 pm »

Leasing is definitely a popular option.  I can see it making sense for people that absolutely love cars and trying out new cars more frequently brings them joy, or if someone has a need for a specific type of vehicle for a few years.

Personally, I love cars, but I love not having a car payment forever, more.  :) 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2018, 05:26:53 pm »

With repeated 2 year leases though, you are always taking the biggest depreciation hit.  I guess if you only look at it as $x per month to keep you in a fresh toy in perpetuity, then it makes no difference. I do enjoy brief periods of no car payments, though.

True. I think three years is the sweet spot. But two years could have made sense for the Clubman because of the deal I got. Because of the discount I got (it being a demo) and the interest rate reduction (since I was already a MINI customer) my taxes-in payment is literally 60% of what it would have been had I paid just under sticker with the normal financing rate.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2018, 05:36:51 pm »

True. I think three years is the sweet spot. But two years could have made sense for the Clubman because of the deal I got. Because of the discount I got (it being a demo) and the interest rate reduction (since I was already a MINI customer) my taxes-in payment is literally 60% of what it would have been had I paid just under sticker with the normal financing rate.

See my way of thinking would be to maximize the benefit of a deal that good by negotiating a just-as-sweet purchase deal.  But I admit I've got a bit of a hangup with leasing that's not entirely rational.  I've done it, but it always felt like I had to watch my mileage totals each month and worry about any tiny ding or scratch.  I mean it was never an actual issue - I was always well under the mileage allowance and I keep my cars in pristine condition - but it always felt like I was in a long term rental (which I arguably was) and so had to be extra careful and always aware that the car wasn't "mine".

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2018, 06:16:55 am »
Done a couple of leases , now preferred to buy used and keep it for over 5 years

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 26, 2018, 07:02:04 am »
Done a couple of leases , now preferred to buy used and keep it for over 5 years

Fiscally speaking, that's by far the smartest move.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #271 on: January 26, 2018, 07:05:57 am »

Well the smartest move would be not to own a car :stick:

I suppose I'm not allowed to say that on a car forum  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 26, 2018, 07:18:38 am »

Well the smartest move would be not to own a car :stick:

I suppose I'm not allowed to say that on a car forum  ;D
I guess the depends on were  you want  live

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 26, 2018, 12:24:29 pm »

Leasing makes perfect sense if you can write all or a portion of it off as a business expense.
I would expect some of us here are incorporated.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2018, 12:30:04 pm »

Leasing makes perfect sense if you can write all or a portion of it off as a business expense.

I heard from a realtor friend that you can write off financing payments now, too.

I really like the 2.0T Elite trim.  It seems to have everything I'd want in a DD sporty sedan.
Pricing is the big question now.  I'd guess ~$44K for a 2.0T Elite, which would make it competitive with all the features and 5-year maintenance including their concierge service.

As far as pre-ordering without knowing the price goes, I'd do it if I was in the market and other current options don't satisfy my wants and needs.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:34:56 pm by carcrazed »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 26, 2018, 12:32:23 pm »

I heard from a realtor friend that you can write off financing payments now, too.

Yes you can. But putting a sizeable downpayment makes the accounting more complicated. It's just so much easier with the lease. Besides, the lease gives you one major advantage - accident history does not affect your payments, and you just walk away at the end of the lease.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2018, 01:10:05 pm »

Yes you can. But putting a sizeable downpayment makes the accounting more complicated. It's just so much easier with the lease. Besides, the lease gives you one major advantage - accident history does not affect your payments, and you just walk away at the end of the lease.
I was told there no really difference between leasing and financing for a company
I Would put   a lot km on a truck for a lease, tha would to worry about the damage in the box, so I just finance with a long term and keep the truck for 8 or more years

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2018, 01:46:48 pm »

I was told there no really difference between leasing and financing for a company
I Would put   a lot km on a truck for a lease, tha would to worry about the damage in the box, so I just finance with a long term and keep the truck for 8 or more years

Excess mileage charges can be highly punitive.  And some lessors can really gouge you for every tiny little scratch or scuff.  And depending on how the timing works out relative to your use of the vehicle, you could be on the hook for a brand new set of tires - wholly to the benefit of the next owner of the car.  Definitely some potential downsides.  Not to mention that leases can be a royal PITA to get out of if you find your circumstances change mid-term.  Plus you never own the car and are stuck in a cycle of perpetual car payments if you always lease.  It can work for some, but definitely will not for others.

I really like the 2.0T Elite trim.  It seems to have everything I'd want in a DD sporty sedan.
Pricing is the big question now.  I'd guess ~$44K for a 2.0T Elite, which would make it competitive with all the features and 5-year maintenance including their concierge service.

As far as pre-ordering without knowing the price goes, I'd do it if I was in the market and other current options don't satisfy my wants and needs.

Agreed with all of that, save that I lean toward the sport / manual 2.0T.  Looking forward to pricing info.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 26, 2018, 03:03:38 pm »
Excess mileage charges can be highly punitive.  And some lessors can really gouge you for every tiny little scratch or scuff.  And depending on how the timing works out relative to your use of the vehicle, you could be on the hook for a brand new set of tires - wholly to the benefit of the next owner of the car.  Definitely some potential downsides.  Not to mention that leases can be a royal PITA to get out of if you find your circumstances change mid-term.  Plus you never own the car and are stuck in a cycle of perpetual car payments if you always lease.  It can work for some, but definitely will not for others.

I think the lease end wear and tear coverage is a good way to mitigate that. I paid $1000 on my GTI and I was allowed to bring it back with $10k in damage/wear and tear. MINI's program isn't quite as good, ~$1300 for $7500 worth of coverage.

If you know you're going to be going over the mileage allowance I believe some companies allow you to buy more KMs at the beginning for a discount. Some cars are cheaper than others. When I was looking at Mazda 3s they were only charging 8 cents a kilometre vs. 10 cents on the GTI and 15 cents on the MINIs.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2018, 03:54:21 pm »

I think the lease end wear and tear coverage is a good way to mitigate that. I paid $1000 on my GTI and I was allowed to bring it back with $10k in damage/wear and tear. MINI's program isn't quite as good, ~$1300 for $7500 worth of coverage.

If you know you're going to be going over the mileage allowance I believe some companies allow you to buy more KMs at the beginning for a discount. Some cars are cheaper than others. When I was looking at Mazda 3s they were only charging 8 cents a kilometre vs. 10 cents on the GTI and 15 cents on the MINIs.

You should be a salesman - you make it almost sound like voluntarily handing over an extra $1k to insure a car you don't own is a good thing.   ;D

See, I'd be cheesed to have to pay an extra $1k in lease-end charges, but you merrily hand it over in advance.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 03:58:58 pm by Jaeger »