Author Topic: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.  (Read 127644 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Best look at the upcoming G70 so far.
« Reply #540 on: April 12, 2018, 06:49:51 pm »

Clearly Audi doesn't know what they are doing.

You might have a point...

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #541 on: April 12, 2018, 06:57:18 pm »

^^^ Indeed. And no doubt they have considered more carefully than anyone else here how many people re likely to put their money where their mouth is for a manual at the V6 price point.  Armchair quarterbacks can second guess all day long. They aren't strapping on a helmet.

But does that make it right, just because they considered it carefully? And we should just believe what manufacturers say is best for us? I still feel that having the option would be a great sales point & even if the take up rate is only 7%, that's 7% less people buying cars from the competition [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

No, they are doing what's best for them.  And rightfully so.  And as far as the 7% less people buying from the competition......what competition?  Virtually no one else is offering a manual either in their top trim.  Personally I don't like it either.  If I were in the market for a sport sedan that my wife wasn't driving I'd want manual in top trim as well.

Sure no one else is offering a manual in the top trim, those are the customers you're gonna sway away from the competition. Get the guy that was gonna get an S4, or 3 series but is pissed they're no longer offered in a manual... there's your 7% [emoji16]

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #542 on: April 12, 2018, 07:02:48 pm »
This whole debate about whether the right decision was made to not offer a manual transmission on the V6 is absolutely laughable.  The market has spoken and the absurdly overwhelming response is that car buyers in North America do not want manual transmissions.  Even in Europe, manual transmissions are being replaced.  By every objective measure, the automatic transmissions today are better -- they offer better performance and they are easier and more convenient to use.

I have been driving for over 30 years and have owned a lot of cars, but I've never owned an automatic.  I love driving a manual transmission car, love it!  But I am a dinosaur.  I still use a blackberry with a keyboard (it is a work phone). Nobody will ever convince me that a touch screen can offer the same feel or accuracy of my keyboard, but there isn't a phone maker in the world who wants to go back to a physical keyboard.  But, if a top end phone manufacturer found a way to make a killer phone with a physical keyboard, my heart tells me that it would be a huge hit for business users, like me, who send 200+ emails/texts per day.  (Imagine the new Iphone or the S9 with a keyboard... wouldn't it be great?!)  But my brain knows that the 12 people in the world who still love physical keyboards would be attracted to the phone and that we'd probably each buy one, but it wouldn't be profitable and it wouldn't change the buying patterns of the rest of the world who have grown accustomed to the virtual keyboard.

So waive your blackberries.  Hold your typewriters high.  Screw in those incandescent light bulbs.  Turn on those CRT TVs with their perfect blacks.  Yell at those clouds, old men, and tilt at those windmills.  Maybe history will reverse itself this time.  Or, maybe you should just buy a car that you like and if a manual transmission is the be all and end all, buy the car the manual transmission you like the most and accept the car that surrounds it.

From a finance perspective, I think it is crazy that Genesis put the money into developing a manual version, but I'm very happy they did.  I'm seriously considering one.  My other half loves what she's seen of the car, but she wants a car with AWD and she doesn't get the love of manual transmissions or LSDs or RWD.  Then again, she's not an enthusiast and it is unlikely that I would buy another car that she can't drive...

And another guy who gets it.

Well all get it.   ::)

But many are disappointed it's not the big dog V6.  Nothing more than that.

Not so sure what's so difficult to understand about personal preference...or makes us any less of an "enthusiast" or someone who "doesn't get it".    ???

Despite owning Porsches, I almost barfed when they went to 4 cylinders in the Cayman and Boxster.  Does this mean "I don't get it"?  Or does this mean I just think the flat 6 is a bazillion times better than a 4 pot could ever be?

I guess you haven't been reading the thread.  JUST personal preference for a V6 and disappointment as to its unavailbility?  Nothing more?

I guess you somehow managed to missed the posts about

* how the G70 Sport is nothing more than a tuned up Sonata 2.0
* how nobody will take a 4-banger seriously at this price point ( which will no doubt come as a surprise to all the Germans)
* how it's clownish to offer the manual on the 4 pot
* how hyundai just screwed up plain and simple
* how the G70 with turbo 4 is substandard and lukewarm - such a shame!

But yeah, I guess we could go with your whole personal preference spin if we just ignore that which doesn't comfortably fit that description.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:06:35 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #543 on: April 12, 2018, 07:05:24 pm »

Clearly Audi doesn't know what they are doing.

You might have a point...

Your complete absence of outrage over the Audi and Lexus IS examples is quite telling.  Probably the clearest sign that you have abandoned logic in favor of just engaging in a perma-rant on this subject.  At least as it applies to Genesis, and not anyone else in the market at all.  ::)  Carry on - don't let me get in the way of your amusement.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #544 on: April 12, 2018, 07:08:11 pm »

^^^ Indeed. And no doubt they have considered more carefully than anyone else here how many people re likely to put their money where their mouth is for a manual at the V6 price point.  Armchair quarterbacks can second guess all day long. They aren't strapping on a helmet.

But does that make it right, just because they considered it carefully? And we should just believe what manufacturers say is best for us? I still feel that having the option would be a great sales point & even if the take up rate is only 7%, that's 7% less people buying cars from the competition [emoji16]

No, they are doing what's best for them.  And rightfully so.  And as far as the 7% less people buying from the competition......what competition?  Virtually no one else is offering a manual either in their top trim.  Personally I don't like it either.  If I were in the market for a sport sedan that my wife wasn't driving I'd want manual in top trim as well.

Sure no one else is offering a manual in the top trim, those are the customers you're gonna sway away from the competition. Get the guy that was gonna get an S4, or 3 series but is pissed they're no longer offered in a manual... there's your 7% [emoji16]

Yup.

And as ron said we all get it, lol. We’re just saying a manual on the top trim win would have been nice. It’s something that may have swayed me to buy but otherwise I’m not that interested as there’s nothing it offers that I can’t get somewhere else.

This thing might be a runaway success despite not offering a manual and that’s great but I won’t be in one. It also might not be a runaway success. It’s all besides the point in terms of what I’m wishing for.
Exactly!!! Not rocket science here, or trying to split an atom, ha, ha, ha!!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 12, 2018, 07:10:18 pm »
And as ron said we all get it, lol. We’re just saying a manual on the top trim win would have been nice.

Ridiculous.  Since precisely NOBODY disputes that a manual on the top trim would have been nice, it's kinda hard to claim that this wholly uncontroversial point is what explains the past 5 or so pages of discussion.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 12, 2018, 07:12:12 pm »
This whole debate about whether the right decision was made to not offer a manual transmission on the V6 is absolutely laughable.  The market has spoken and the absurdly overwhelming response is that car buyers in North America do not want manual transmissions.  Even in Europe, manual transmissions are being replaced.  By every objective measure, the automatic transmissions today are better -- they offer better performance and they are easier and more convenient to use.

I have been driving for over 30 years and have owned a lot of cars, but I've never owned an automatic.  I love driving a manual transmission car, love it!  But I am a dinosaur.  I still use a blackberry with a keyboard (it is a work phone). Nobody will ever convince me that a touch screen can offer the same feel or accuracy of my keyboard, but there isn't a phone maker in the world who wants to go back to a physical keyboard.  But, if a top end phone manufacturer found a way to make a killer phone with a physical keyboard, my heart tells me that it would be a huge hit for business users, like me, who send 200+ emails/texts per day.  (Imagine the new Iphone or the S9 with a keyboard... wouldn't it be great?!)  But my brain knows that the 12 people in the world who still love physical keyboards would be attracted to the phone and that we'd probably each buy one, but it wouldn't be profitable and it wouldn't change the buying patterns of the rest of the world who have grown accustomed to the virtual keyboard.

So waive your blackberries.  Hold your typewriters high.  Screw in those incandescent light bulbs.  Turn on those CRT TVs with their perfect blacks.  Yell at those clouds, old men, and tilt at those windmills.  Maybe history will reverse itself this time.  Or, maybe you should just buy a car that you like and if a manual transmission is the be all and end all, buy the car the manual transmission you like the most and accept the car that surrounds it.

From a finance perspective, I think it is crazy that Genesis put the money into developing a manual version, but I'm very happy they did.  I'm seriously considering one.  My other half loves what she's seen of the car, but she wants a car with AWD and she doesn't get the love of manual transmissions or LSDs or RWD.  Then again, she's not an enthusiast and it is unlikely that I would buy another car that she can't drive...

And another guy who gets it.

Well all get it.   ::)

But many are disappointed it's not the big dog V6.  Nothing more than that.

Not so sure what's so difficult to understand about personal preference...or makes us any less of an "enthusiast" or someone who "doesn't get it".    ???

Despite owning Porsches, I almost barfed when they went to 4 cylinders in the Cayman and Boxster.  Does this mean "I don't get it"?  Or does this mean I just think the flat 6 is a bazillion times better than a 4 pot could ever be?

I guess you haven't been reading the thread.  JUST personal preference for a V6 and disappointment as to its unavailbility?  Nothing more

I guess you somehow managed to miss all the posts about

* how the G70 Sport is nothing more than a tuned up Sonata 2.0
* how nobody will take a 4-banger seriously at this price point ( which will no doubt come as a surprise to all the Germans)
* how it's clownish to offer the manual on the 4 pot
* how hyundai just screwed up plain and simple
* how the G70 with turbo 4 is substandard and lukewarm - such a shame!

But yeah, I guess we could go with your whole personal preference spin if we just ignore that which doesn't comfortably fit that description.

You can spin it however you want.  Whatever narrative helps keep your chest puffed out.   ;)  And you say I'm a slappy for my brand...sheesh!   :rofl: :rofl2:

A manual in the G70 is "neat" and "good for them".  But that's about all it will illicit from me.

Wheres that car with the V6 and manual is "FACKING AWESOME!!" and "I can't wait to drive one!!".

I merely prefer "facking awesome" over "neat".  And 100% would be on my radar some time down the road.  Whereas the 4 banger never will.  And I suspect a great many people feel this way.

Shrugs. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 12, 2018, 07:21:30 pm »
What are you even arguing? Take your Hyundai fanboy earplugs out of your ears. I have no clue what has been argued on the last 5 pages and I don’t don’t care. I also don’t care if anyone or no one wants the manual. I do and they won’t offer it and that’s disappointing.

Beyond that in the main I think a manual on the top trim would have been a good carrot to get enthusiasts into the brand. Just the pining of an enthusiast.

That’s all I have to say about that.

I hear ya.

Would be close to Hyundai's version of an "M" car or "AMG" darn near...without even having to add a performance variant moniker to it.  Would have been a hoot!!

Ahh...what could have been.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 12, 2018, 07:25:52 pm »
What are you even arguing? Take your Hyundai fanboy earplugs out of your ears.

Hyundai fanboy - how original!  You must have worked awfully hard on that one. I guess Shane and Quad and everyone else who's saying the same thing I am are Hyundai fanboys too?  :rofl: :rofl2:  For sure that's going to come as news to them.  :o

I have no clue what has been argued on the last 5 pages...

That is abundantly clear.  But that didn't stop you from making a sweeping generalization about 'all we are saying is that a manual with the V6 would have been nice'.  ::)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:28:13 pm by Jaeger »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 12, 2018, 07:27:57 pm »

Hyundai fanboy - how original!  I guess Shane and Quad and everyone else who's saying the same thing I am are Hyundai fanboys too?  :rofl: :rofl2:  For sure that's going to come as news to them.  :o

No...no...not even close!!   ;D

I think the G70 with manual is "neat".  Does that make me a fan boy?  Just wondering what your criteria is.   :rofl: :rofl2:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:29:29 pm by rrocket »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #550 on: April 12, 2018, 07:48:16 pm »
I literally can't believe this thread.  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 12, 2018, 07:53:01 pm »
I literally can't believe this thread.  ::)

Come on......it's just a car thread with a bunch of people bullshitting around.

I put it in the same category as when you sit in a bar and drink with your buddies.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #552 on: April 12, 2018, 07:59:23 pm »
So we have four groups.

1. Genesis are idiots.
2. Wish they gave me a V6 manual.
3. Glad they gave me the 4 cyl manual.
4. Really makes no difference to me.

Of course some people are a little bit of 1 and 2.

Does that bring me up to date?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #553 on: April 12, 2018, 08:08:28 pm »
im with ron on this - V6 turbo and a manual with rwd, lsd, etc. etc. would have been a hoot and probably put them on the radar of BMW, Audi, Merc drivers looking for some sport...or how about some Alfa drivers who hate the fact that the new Giulia is not a manual? [ME!!!] With a manual, that car would for sure be on my radar. With the 4cyl? No thanks. Already have more power in my Saab and its engine is like 15 years old.

If they gave it the V6 turbo and the manual, I bet it would be a contender [barring a catastrophe in the handling setup] for best drivers, or best in segment, or hell...even car of the year. It could have been that good. Like a call back to the sport sedans of yore and legend...with the manual only being with the turbo4...well all it gets from me is a "neat" and I will forget about it quickly.
"
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #554 on: April 12, 2018, 08:08:49 pm »
So we have four groups.

Nah, just need one.

1. I'm right and everyone else is full of :censor:

#where'dileavemydrink

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #555 on: April 12, 2018, 08:11:07 pm »
If they gave it the V6 turbo and the manual, I bet it would be a contender [barring a catastrophe in the handling setup] for best drivers, or best in segment, or hell...even car of the year. It could have been that good.

Oh, c'mon, you know you'd still find something to :censor: about.   :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 12, 2018, 08:14:22 pm »
If they gave it the V6 turbo and the manual, I bet it would be a contender [barring a catastrophe in the handling setup] for best drivers, or best in segment, or hell...even car of the year. It could have been that good.

Oh, c'mon, you know you'd still find something to :censor: about.   :)

I dunno man....Genesis doesn't make SUVs....so who knows.  He might have become a Genesis fan boy!   :rofl2: :rofl:

But yea...he'd be a tool and complain about the exhaust sound!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 12, 2018, 08:19:09 pm »
I have yet to hear the 3.3 turbo in anger, so I withhold judgment in that area. Otherwise, I would be a fan of the car...honest.

You guys really think I am a tool?  :'( :'( :'( :'(

And let me be clear: yes, it is not another CUV, so it is automatically +1 in my book...automatic, turbo4...whatever  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 12, 2018, 08:20:11 pm »

100%.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 12, 2018, 08:22:13 pm »

100%.   :rofl: :rofl2:
I was just trying to be passionate in my arguments. Damn.

Consider me STFU'd then gents.