Author Topic: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE  (Read 126113 times)

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
Re: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
« Reply #460 on: February 29, 2020, 02:50:52 pm »
People who don't own a Camaro always talk about how crap the Camaro's visibility is. 

I noticed it when I first test-drove it, but you get used to it real quick.  Camaro makes the driver more involved: it is a hoot to drive and because of Mango I got my 1LE in Hyper Blue.

I've had high-revving engines before.  But I'm a torque-whore: give me low-end power any day!

Sounds like the visibility is just like rotary reliability, then. Not as good as other cars, but also not as terrible as some people make it sound.

And we really think alike. I like revving high but I'd love some good torque down low.

The low end torque is lovely.

Yup. Visibility has never been an issue for me.

The car is lovely and I haven’t had an issue. In fact it’s the most reliable car we’ve ever owned. We don’t put a ton of kilometres on it though.

When you say the mustang is faster - it has longer legs because of the revs. Doesn’t pass the SS until after the 1/4 and well over 120MPH.

But I’m getting too old for these stupid dick measuring contests. You’ll be happy in either the Mustang or Camaro so get the one that tickles your fancy.

I have read that the 8AT has some issues, but since 1LE is 6MT only, that shouldn't be an issue since TR-6060 has been around for a while now and I have heard it's a pretty solid transmission. Small blocks are pretty bulletproof as well.

As long as I am faster than a good number of cars on the road, I am cool. I do some performance driving but it's nothing serious, and I am the type that would blame my skills rather than the car(unless the tires are garbage).

. You’ll be happy in either the Mustang or Camaro so get the one that tickles your fancy.

Yep...pony cars are fun.

Given how they are focusing on handling more and more, makes me really want one.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #461 on: March 01, 2020, 01:08:21 am »

The car is lovely and I haven’t had an issue. In fact it’s the most reliable car we’ve ever owned. We don’t put a ton of kilometres on it though.

When you say the mustang is faster - it has longer legs because of the revs. Doesn’t pass the SS until after the 1/4 and well over 120MPH.

But I’m getting too old for these stupid dick measuring contests. You’ll be happy in either the Mustang or Camaro so get the one that tickles your fancy.

The speed is more to do with the gearing of the manual cars.  The auto GT is quicker than the SS to 60 and through the quarter.  It is reverse with the manual versions.

Doesn't really matter on the street though does it.  Just buy the one you like the look of more, they are both great cars.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #462 on: March 01, 2020, 08:51:40 am »
If it were me, I'd probably go with the Mustang.  I like the look of it more, and I always enjoy a free-revving engine. 

Moot point, anyway, since I'm not, nor will I likely ever be in the market for a pony car.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #463 on: March 01, 2020, 12:48:22 pm »
I recently had as a rental a 2019 Mustang Ecoboost.  The 4 cyl had more zing than I anticipated but nowhere near enough to ever consider it.  What surprised me, though, was the road noise in the cabin.  It was really intrusive, worse than earlier gen Mustangs I’ve owned.
On my test drive, the thing I really didn't like is the turbo lag. There is a noticeable delay especially when you are on a highway and you are flooring it.

Yeah personally I am sticking with NA engines. No lag FTW.

The speed is more to do with the gearing of the manual cars.  The auto GT is quicker than the SS to 60 and through the quarter.  It is reverse with the manual versions.

Yeah, engineering explained did a video on the new Mustang gearing. The less optimal gearing made it so that the 0~60 time didn't see any improvement despite the 25 BHP bump.

Basically, Mustang used to have shorter first 5 gears and a tall 6th gear for cruising, which makes sense. For the facelift, they made the first 5 gears less aggressive for some reason.

I wonder if anyone attempted a trans swap... Taking the pre-facelift manual tranny and put it in the facelift ones. Could bring it to Camaro SS level or potentially even better.

https://youtu.be/Y25ordkIfgM
If it were me, I'd probably go with the Mustang.  I like the look of it more, and I always enjoy a free-revving engine. 

Moot point, anyway, since I'm not, nor will I likely ever be in the market for a pony car.
Looks are subjective. I kinda like the Camaro more as it still have a bit more pony/muscle look from the front.

And the main thing is, if Mustang handles as well as the Camaro, then it really just boils down to if you like a torquey/revvy engine. Except they aren't the same when it comes to handling, hence why I am really leaning towards the Camaro.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 12:50:53 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 01, 2020, 04:01:10 pm »
I recently had as a rental a 2019 Mustang Ecoboost.  The 4 cyl had more zing than I anticipated but nowhere near enough to ever consider it.  What surprised me, though, was the road noise in the cabin.  It was really intrusive, worse than earlier gen Mustangs I’ve owned.
On my test drive, the thing I really didn't like is the turbo lag. There is a noticeable delay especially when you are on a highway and you are flooring it.

Yeah, engineering explained did a video on the new Mustang gearing. The less optimal gearing made it so that the 0~60 time didn't see any improvement despite the 25 BHP bump.

Basically, Mustang used to have shorter first 5 gears and a tall 6th gear for cruising, which makes sense. For the facelift, they made the first 5 gears less aggressive for some reason.

I wonder if anyone attempted a trans swap... Taking the pre-facelift manual tranny and put it in the facelift ones. Could bring it to Camaro SS level or potentially even better.

Looks are subjective. I kinda like the Camaro more as it still have a bit more pony/muscle look from the front.

And the main thing is, if Mustang handles as well as the Camaro, then it really just boils down to if you like a torquey/revvy engine. Except they aren't the same when it comes to handling, hence why I am really leaning towards the Camaro.

The longer gears help on a roll, however, where the Mustang loses nothing to the Camaro manual v.s. manual.  It is literally the 3 tenths of a second off launch.  You are talking less than a car length.

As far as handling, it is a bit of a subjective thing as well.  According to Car and Driver's Lightning Lap @ VIR, the Mustang GT PP2 (1LE package equivalent) is slightly quicker than the Camaro SS 1LE.

I think the steering is better on the Camaro based on my test drives although it is not that noticeable on the street - I suspect one would find it different on the track.

You are coming from a 4 Cylinder Accord.  Either car is going to feel like an Aventador to you.

Get off the computer and go test drive the 1LE.  Expect to put a deposit on one, however.  Driving a V8 car does something very positive to your brain.

I realize that at a drag strip, the difference between the manual version of the Mustang and Camaro will more likely be a driver's battle. I am just saying it's just kinda disappointing how the 25 BHP didn't contribute to the 0~60 time.

I don't know what you mean by longer gears help on a roll. I much prefer shorter gears so you are closer to the power band(on an NA car, anyway) when you need the power and downshift.

And I get it's easy to assume I haven't driven fast cars before because I drive an Accord right now. It's true I haven't owned anything fast, but I have driven them before at different opportunities. Cars faster than both the 'stang and 'maro. I am not trying to flex or anything here, just saying it's not a foreign concept to me.

I would like to test drive them, but the weather at this point is still not guaranteed to be consistently warm, and plus, the closest examples of both cars are very far from me. I would need a dedicated weekend to see them. I will have to sit tight still right now, but when the opportunity comes, I will for sure test them.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 01, 2020, 05:25:36 pm »

The longer gears help on a roll, however, where the Mustang loses nothing to the Camaro manual v.s. manual.  It is literally the 3 tenths of a second off launch.  You are talking less than a car length.

As far as handling, it is a bit of a subjective thing as well.  According to Car and Driver's Lightning Lap @ VIR, the Mustang GT PP2 (1LE package equivalent) is slightly quicker than the Camaro SS 1LE.

I think the steering is better on the Camaro based on my test drives although it is not that noticeable on the street - I suspect one would find it different on the track.

You are coming from a 4 Cylinder Accord.  Either car is going to feel like an Aventador to you.

Get off the computer and go test drive the 1LE.  Expect to put a deposit on one, however.  Driving a V8 car does something very positive to your brain.

I realize that at a drag strip, the difference between the manual version of the Mustang and Camaro will more likely be a driver's battle. I am just saying it's just kinda disappointing how the 25 BHP didn't contribute to the 0~60 time.

I don't know what you mean by longer gears help on a roll. I much prefer shorter gears so you are closer to the power band(on an NA car, anyway) when you need the power and downshift.

And I get it's easy to assume I haven't driven fast cars before because I drive an Accord right now. It's true I haven't owned anything fast, but I have driven them before at different opportunities. Cars faster than both the 'stang and 'maro. I am not trying to flex or anything here, just saying it's not a foreign concept to me.

I would like to test drive them, but the weather at this point is still not guaranteed to be consistently warm, and plus, the closest examples of both cars are very far from me. I would need a dedicated weekend to see them. I will have to sit tight still right now, but when the opportunity comes, I will for sure test them.

The Coyote makes its max torque at a higher rev range and revs noticeably higher (the fuel cut off is at 7600 rpm - redline at 7400).  On a roll, you have better control of being in the meat of the power band - ie higher in the rev range - and the combination of a higher redline and longer gears mean no lost time from manually shifting.

I assume you are referring to the extra 25 hp in the new GT v.s. the old.  Look at the 0-80 mph time to see the difference.  Or see the MPH through the quarter mile.  It is significantly faster.  Locally, we are seeing 10 speed auto versions dip into the very high 11's with only drag radials on.  Manual versions just over 12 but most are mid.  The GT with the PP2 on Car and Driver's Lightning Lap is almost 15 seconds quicker than the previous BOSS.  That isn't all because of handling because the BOSS was amazing in that regard.  That is power.

Most of us have driven cars faster than these two (my father has a Nickey's Stage 2 ZL1 Camaro with over 800 RWHP - look that one up - and the only one in Canada) but if you are going to be daily driving either of these two cars it will be a much, much different experience to anything you have owned in the past.  Both will comfortably rip your head off if you aren't careful because every thing on the street comes up much, much faster than at any track.  I wasn't assuming you may not have driven more powerful cars.  But a 5 minute rip tells you :censor: all about a car.  Based on your experience, you may also want to consider investing in some time with a performance driving school if you are going to track your car.  I don't track the Bullitt but have done two of these courses years ago and they are a blast and help you get to know your car intimately.

If I am just concerned about straight-line acceleration, I would just buy an automatic and be done with it. But from what I looked up, the 6.5th Gen MT 'stang is still a bit faster than 6th Gen MT 'stang, just not in 0~60 MPH where they are equal.

As for the last bit, I do agree and that's one I will definitely do. Performance driving lessons are definitely needed if I want to do any track driving since I am not that good and my experience is limited.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #466 on: March 01, 2020, 05:32:12 pm »
^Dudes, this quoting is fackin ridiculous.

Vman's show n shine has officially been :censor: on.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:34:30 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #467 on: March 01, 2020, 05:49:06 pm »
^Dudes, this quoting is fackin ridiculous.

Vman's show n shine has officially been :censor: on.

If you are you saying that armchair racing in somebody else's show and shine is stupid then I fully agree with you.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #468 on: March 01, 2020, 06:12:35 pm »
yeah this discussion needs its own thread
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 01, 2020, 07:13:43 pm »
yeah this discussion needs its own thread
I am all for that if a mod does move unrelated posts to a new thread.

Sorry about the cluster and I will STFU now since there isn't much stuff to add onto at this point. Only thing left for me to do is going out to for a test drive down the road.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #470 on: July 14, 2020, 12:44:34 pm »
SOLD!  :'(

The best car I've ever owned and the only car that's made me truly melancholy selling. I loved this thing. Alas.....

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #471 on: July 14, 2020, 12:50:33 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #472 on: July 14, 2020, 01:01:01 pm »
Did you sell it because you got a hair cut  ??? ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #473 on: July 14, 2020, 01:02:19 pm »

The best car I've ever owned and the only car that's made me truly melancholy selling. I loved this thing. Alas.....

Saw the hints last week.... so what's coming into the stable   :shuffle: 
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 14, 2020, 01:04:49 pm »
 ??? ??? ???

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 14, 2020, 01:07:03 pm »

I mean, I could see the end, from posts in the past month, but yeah, it comes as a little bit of a shock.  Weren't you the original 1LE owner on the forum? 

Well,  what you're getting to replace it must be legendary. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #476 on: July 14, 2020, 01:11:57 pm »
I expect a kick ass wagon is on its way.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #477 on: July 14, 2020, 01:15:57 pm »
C7 Z06? Another powerful manual car? GT350R?

Let the guessing begin!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #478 on: July 14, 2020, 01:26:55 pm »
The replacement not [100%] set yet. Going to drive the Truck for now.

Major factors for selling:

- Lost my storage and while I have other options it's a bit of a pain in my ass to have multiple cars at this point in my life.
- Barely drive it. Only 12,000km and I got it in 2017. While I am a car enthusiast it's not like the good old days when I can go out for drives, meets, the track. Time spent at work, with the kids and/or kids programs, and my other hobbies are more important to me now (skiing, weights, cycling, running, cottage, etc).
-no where to drive it. Related to number above. No where to really stretch its legs. Cops everywhere these days getting covid revenue.

Still turns heads to this day as she rumbles down the street......  :'(

Different stages of life...time to consolidate
I love it when a plan comes together.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 14, 2020, 01:27:45 pm »
So, private sale?