Author Topic: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE  (Read 126134 times)

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
Re: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
« Reply #440 on: February 28, 2020, 02:38:15 pm »
Lotuses are fun, but the only one I will even remotely consider for now is an Evora, and even that had too many things working against it as a comfortable daily, like the high price for the performance, scarce dealerships, bare-bone interior compared to the Corvette/Camaro, etc.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #441 on: February 28, 2020, 02:48:53 pm »
Lotuses are fun, but the only one I will even remotely consider for now is an Evora, and even that had too many things working against it as a comfortable daily, like the high price for the performance, scarce dealerships, bare-bone interior compared to the Corvette/Camaro, etc.

Boo.

The Lotus wasn't made for daily driving to Starbucks and sub 3000 rpm shifts.

Kinda makes me wonder why he had an RX-8 of all cars if he didn't like to play in the upper rev ranges...??

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #442 on: February 28, 2020, 03:06:49 pm »

Boo.

Kinda makes me wonder why he had an RX-8 of all cars if he didn't like to play in the upper rev ranges...??

I am sorry I have to sound like this, but do you both have reading comprehension issues?

I personally do Autocross monthly(whenever I can in Victoria) so having that capability is nice.

Or are you reading it as I will never drive it spiritedly? I already mentioned I Autocross, and I think I will also look into tracking. I also have fun on backroads.

Once again, I push my car when it's safe to do so

But heh if it makes you happy, keep thinking I drive like a grandma in a Corolla, just like how I can keep thinking you have absolutely awful reading comprehension or you need a pair of glasses.

Once again, it's my only car, so yes daily comfort and capabilities will be fully considered as well, so if you own 2+ cars, stop pulling a Smart Electric on me(it works for me so you must copy me!). I do grocery shopping in my RX-8. That's nothing to be ashamed of.

(Just so if you boomer eyes can't see what I am writing, important bits are highlighted. Hope that helps.)

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 28, 2020, 03:50:30 pm »

Boo.

Maybe it was an automatic?
Here are some pics to answer your question, since maybe writing on the signature is a bit too much for you.

For anyone who can read, the only car I owned that was an auto was my first car and I sold it to get the RX-8 because I like driving a stick. Have been a stick shift driver ever since. And yes, that includes my current Honda Accord.

The biggest irony, of course, is that SS 1LE is only available with a manual trans. But heh, logic is for idiots anyway.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:55:52 pm by UnknownJinX »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #444 on: February 28, 2020, 04:28:21 pm »
Not a boomer.  Solidly in the Xennial zone. 

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 28, 2020, 04:37:12 pm »
Not a boomer.  Solidly in the Xennial zone.
Just a meme. I am just a bit tired after having to repeat the same thing over and over.

Pictures are worth a thousand words so here are some more for people who think I always shift under 3k RPM.

Boo.

Here are some pics to answer your question, since maybe writing on the signature is a bit too much for you.

For anyone who can read, the only car I owned that was an auto was my first car and I sold it to get the RX-8 because I like driving a stick. Have been a stick shift driver ever since. And yes, that includes my current Honda Accord.

The biggest irony, of course, is that SS 1LE is only available with a manual trans. But heh, logic is for idiots anyway.

I think you may be revving it a bit high in that last picture.

Ah crap, you saw through my lies.

I actually just push the car everywhere with the engine off. That way, I don't have to worry about apex seals exploding on me and I save the money on gas.

Can't have engine problems if you don't use the engine at all. Gotta use that 200 IQ brain.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:41:28 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 28, 2020, 05:22:51 pm »
You have a point.  You are clearly parked in those photos.  No revs; no gas.

On a more serious note, if you don't like to rev an engine past 3000 rpm and the RX8 doesn't come alive until 6000+, how many hours did it take you to get around the track?

It's not that I don't like revving high. I quite do like driving the car hard, I am just saying realistically, it's not feasible and/or legal all the time. When it's possible and safe, I definitely send it.

I also explained that I wanted something different, like the opposite of an RX-8 just for a different experience.

If you want someone to criticize for not driving something sporty hard... I know a friend with an Audi RS7. He is almost always in Econ mode on the road and drives easily. I make fun of him for that here and there, but at the end of the day, it's his car so whatever. That said, he claimed that he will hit up the track at some point. We will see.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #447 on: February 28, 2020, 05:25:58 pm »
You have a point.  You are clearly parked in those photos.  No revs; no gas.

On a more serious note, if you don't like to rev an engine past 3000 rpm and the RX8 doesn't come alive until 6000+, how many hours did it take you to get around the track?

It's not that I don't like revving high. I quite do like driving the car hard, I am just saying realistically, it's not feasible and/or legal all the time. When it's possible and safe, I definitely send it.

I also explained that I wanted something different, like the opposite of an RX-8 just for a different experience.

If you want someone to criticize for not driving something sporty hard... I know a friend with an Audi RS7. He is almost always in Econ mode on the road and drives easily. I make fun of him for that here and there, but at the end of the day, it's his car so whatever. That said, he claimed that he will hit up the track at some point. We will see.

Relax, they're just yanking your chain.  ;)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #448 on: February 28, 2020, 06:06:34 pm »
You guys are basically correct but I would say it also depends what model you have. The splitter on my 1LE is like 4 inches off the ground. It scrapes fairly often in summer let alone winter. Not optimal for winter driving and the refrozen crust on streets and end of driveways, etc. Plus the front of the 1LE is totally open and full of radiators and heat exchangers. :censor: would make me nervous in winter.

So again, yeah you can do it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

But whatever. When any of you sally :censor: buy a [modern] muscle car and drive it in the winter I'll buy you a beer. But my actions speak louder than words.

PS Unknown I have driven the Stingray Z51. I've been sick and but I'll give a quick response at some point soon.

Edit: I know you did it Evil Twin, but the current Mustang is a far different beast than your 2005 GT.
Thanks, I would appreciate that.

When and if the time comes to buy them, I will test drive them both to see for sure, but until then I would like to hear some feedback, especially things I could miss on a test drive.

It sure is.  The Mustang is world class now.
Camaro still seems to be better in a lot of measures, however.

I am not considering a Mustang partly also because they are somewhat common on the West Coast(most of them are Ecoboosts, but still), while a GT350 is out of my budget and the gas mileage is plain horrendous(this is coming from a rotary owner). Couple that with the West Coast gas price... Nope.

I used to like Challengers for their looks, but after owning an RX-8, I don't think I would be very happy with the handling of a Challenger. Camaro and Corvette are better in that regard.

Not saying Mustangs are bad as they have come a long way and can be capable in the right hands and mods, but personally I am just more interested in the GM sports/pony cars.

I almost bought a 1LE Camaro SS (the regular version is meh).  But I found the Bullitt to be better looking to my eyes, sound better, have a more exciting motor (the rev limiter is at 7600 rpm and it is still pulling hard), have a more user friendly and higher quality interior, I could see out of it, and for the street, the track package would not make a difference at all.  Although I am happily married, I suspect I could get laid more often with the Bullitt.

As for the looks, I like the 6th Gen Mustangs before the facelift. The facelift is fugly IMO. I thought the Camaro facelift is ugly, but it really grew on me in time.

Engine revs, I had an RX-8 so I have already been up there(9000 RPM redline), so I really wanted something that's the exact opposite: gobs of torque, but doesn't rev high, which the LT1 does better than the Coyote. Plus, that also means a slight fuel economy advantage. Call me cheap, but gas on the West Coast is, again, expensive. Better low-end in general means easier for daily driving.

Visibility can be an issue, but I feel like that's something I can only really say for sure after test driving.

The one thing 1LE attracts me is the magneride suspension for some of the rougher roads, and bonus with the bigger brakes that can stop the car sooner. Some also say that the PDR on the 1LE is good for parking. I personally do Autocross monthly(whenever I can in Victoria) so having that capability is nice.

I don't buy a car to get laid, but if you really want to go down that path, the Corvette will be better than a Mustang or a Camaro for that purpose.

That last part was a joke.

Magnaride is an option on the Mustang.  It's has a Brembo brake option. It pulls harder than the LT1 over 3000 rpm.  Pick your poison.  The Coyote will feel like a supercharged Viper next to your RX8.  That car was beyond gutless.

Well if you are daily driving the car, you wouldn't normally go over 3k RPM anyway.

LOL

Methinks there is some confusion with torque curves and gearing.

I drove the Exige daily, an hour each way, never dropped out of the 6K-8.5k range unless there was a red light!  :rofl2:

A.) Atta Boy and B.) you had (have?) one of my dream cars.  Did you sell it?

Yep, before I moved to Canada.

Here is my original buying thread (wow 15 years ago...  :o) :
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=28360.0

And some pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_smith_photography/albums/72157637031008773

Thanks for the links!

I have nothing to add.  I just want to contribute to the shrinking quotes.  ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #449 on: February 28, 2020, 06:47:55 pm »
You guys are basically correct but I would say it also depends what model you have. The splitter on my 1LE is like 4 inches off the ground. It scrapes fairly often in summer let alone winter. Not optimal for winter driving and the refrozen crust on streets and end of driveways, etc. Plus the front of the 1LE is totally open and full of radiators and heat exchangers. :censor: would make me nervous in winter.

So again, yeah you can do it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

But whatever. When any of you sally :censor: buy a [modern] muscle car and drive it in the winter I'll buy you a beer. But my actions speak louder than words.

PS Unknown I have driven the Stingray Z51. I've been sick and but I'll give a quick response at some point soon.

Edit: I know you did it Evil Twin, but the current Mustang is a far different beast than your 2005 GT.
Thanks, I would appreciate that.

When and if the time comes to buy them, I will test drive them both to see for sure, but until then I would like to hear some feedback, especially things I could miss on a test drive.

It sure is.  The Mustang is world class now.
Camaro still seems to be better in a lot of measures, however.

I am not considering a Mustang partly also because they are somewhat common on the West Coast(most of them are Ecoboosts, but still), while a GT350 is out of my budget and the gas mileage is plain horrendous(this is coming from a rotary owner). Couple that with the West Coast gas price... Nope.

I used to like Challengers for their looks, but after owning an RX-8, I don't think I would be very happy with the handling of a Challenger. Camaro and Corvette are better in that regard.

Not saying Mustangs are bad as they have come a long way and can be capable in the right hands and mods, but personally I am just more interested in the GM sports/pony cars.

I almost bought a 1LE Camaro SS (the regular version is meh).  But I found the Bullitt to be better looking to my eyes, sound better, have a more exciting motor (the rev limiter is at 7600 rpm and it is still pulling hard), have a more user friendly and higher quality interior, I could see out of it, and for the street, the track package would not make a difference at all.  Although I am happily married, I suspect I could get laid more often with the Bullitt.

As for the looks, I like the 6th Gen Mustangs before the facelift. The facelift is fugly IMO. I thought the Camaro facelift is ugly, but it really grew on me in time.

Engine revs, I had an RX-8 so I have already been up there(9000 RPM redline), so I really wanted something that's the exact opposite: gobs of torque, but doesn't rev high, which the LT1 does better than the Coyote. Plus, that also means a slight fuel economy advantage. Call me cheap, but gas on the West Coast is, again, expensive. Better low-end in general means easier for daily driving.

Visibility can be an issue, but I feel like that's something I can only really say for sure after test driving.

The one thing 1LE attracts me is the magneride suspension for some of the rougher roads, and bonus with the bigger brakes that can stop the car sooner. Some also say that the PDR on the 1LE is good for parking. I personally do Autocross monthly(whenever I can in Victoria) so having that capability is nice.

I don't buy a car to get laid, but if you really want to go down that path, the Corvette will be better than a Mustang or a Camaro for that purpose.

That last part was a joke.

Magnaride is an option on the Mustang.  It's has a Brembo brake option. It pulls harder than the LT1 over 3000 rpm.  Pick your poison.  The Coyote will feel like a supercharged Viper next to your RX8.  That car was beyond gutless.

Well if you are daily driving the car, you wouldn't normally go over 3k RPM anyway.

LOL

Methinks there is some confusion with torque curves and gearing.

I drove the Exige daily, an hour each way, never dropped out of the 6K-8.5k range unless there was a red light!  :rofl2:

A.) Atta Boy and B.) you had (have?) one of my dream cars.  Did you sell it?

Yep, before I moved to Canada.

Here is my original buying thread (wow 15 years ago...  :o) :
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=28360.0

And some pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_smith_photography/albums/72157637031008773

Thanks for the links!

I have nothing to add.  I just want to contribute to the shrinking quotes.  ;D
That's my kinda comment!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #450 on: February 28, 2020, 07:06:09 pm »
I forget, did someone on this thread buy a Camaro?

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 28, 2020, 08:42:40 pm »

I think it is for sale now. :think:
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 28, 2020, 09:36:30 pm »

My poor, poor thread.
LOL sorry.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #453 on: February 28, 2020, 09:42:55 pm »

My poor, poor thread.
Ha!!! My JGC one went off on a tangent about the quality of different synthetic oil, lol!!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 28, 2020, 09:44:27 pm »

Boo.

Bullitt also only comes in manual transmission as well.

As probably the only guy who has spent considerable time in the Mustang and have driven a Bullitt couple times, and owing Camaro SS 1LE, here are my two cents:
- SS 1LE is sharper and feels more alive than the Bullitt
- SS has way more usable torque
- I found the ergonomics better in the Camaro
- Camaro can be equipped with the sunroof (a must-have for me - not sure if that's important to you), but the Mustangs cannot
- SS's 6-speed tremec transmission is solid; the Mustang has had some issues in the past
- 1LE comes with 20" forged wheels
- Bullitt is faster and has more HP
- Bullitt's interior is nicer
- Bullitt is much cooler
- You can see "better" out of the Mustang
- Bullitt's engine note sounds amazing

I chose the 1LE for a reason.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 28, 2020, 10:29:08 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks sick! You are making me even more impatient.

Boo.

Bullitt also only comes in manual transmission as well.

As probably the only guy who has spent considerable time in the Mustang and have driven a Bullitt couple times, and owing Camaro SS 1LE, here are my two cents:
- SS 1LE is sharper and feels more alive than the Bullitt
- SS has way more usable torque
- I found the ergonomics better in the Camaro
- Camaro can be equipped with the sunroof (a must-have for me - not sure if that's important to you), but the Mustangs cannot
- SS's 6-speed tremec transmission is solid; the Mustang has had some issues in the past
- 1LE comes with 20" forged wheels
- Bullitt is faster and has more HP
- Bullitt's interior is nicer
- Bullitt is much cooler
- You can see "better" out of the Mustang
- Bullitt's engine note sounds amazing

I chose the 1LE for a reason.

Thanks for the input!

Yeah sunroof is a must for me. Or targa top. Hardtop without a sunroof is kinda depressing to me.

Interior is not a huge deal to me.

And what do you mean by see "better"?

The only 6th Gen 'stang I have driven is an Ecoboost for a friend, LOL. Very meh IMO and I would prefer my RX-8 over it. Haven't tried any Camaro yet.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 28, 2020, 11:56:12 pm »
People who don't own a Camaro always talk about how crap the Camaro's visibility is. 

I noticed it when I first test-drove it, but you get used to it real quick.  Camaro makes the driver more involved: it is a hoot to drive and because of Mango I got my 1LE in Hyper Blue.

I've had high-revving engines before.  But I'm a torque-whore: give me low-end power any day!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #457 on: February 29, 2020, 12:17:09 pm »
I don’t understand the comments about Camaro's visibility

Don’t you drive it like an Italian ???
https://youtu.be/AjGXn249Fc0
 ;D

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #458 on: February 29, 2020, 01:19:23 pm »
A close buddy of mine got a ZL1 last summer.  He got rid of his GT-R and ended up with ZL1.  He's been extremely happy with it so far.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 01:30:40 pm by CanuckS2K »
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 29, 2020, 01:49:57 pm »

. You’ll be happy in either the Mustang or Camaro so get the one that tickles your fancy.

Yep...pony cars are fun.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...