Author Topic: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE  (Read 126155 times)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
« Reply #420 on: February 26, 2020, 11:45:40 pm »
I don't necessarily hit redline, but I'll get into the upper rev ranges a couple times a week.  Nothing like opening up a quad cam V8 and hearing it bellow!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 26, 2020, 11:51:42 pm »

I can already smell your clutch burning all the way over my side of the screen.

That tires you smell.

Clutch shouldn't be burning just from that!   :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 27, 2020, 01:22:42 am »
 :popcorn: :laugh:

That tires you smell.

:laugh: :popcorn:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #423 on: February 27, 2020, 07:38:58 am »
Jesus Christ guys, really?
:rofl:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #424 on: February 27, 2020, 07:44:43 am »
sorry lol
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #425 on: February 27, 2020, 12:53:32 pm »

That tires you smell.

Reverse burnout on an RWD? Alright then, whatever makes you happy.
Definitely got carried away. Let's get back on topic.

So from what I understand, the Bullitt is basically a GT PP1 with a little extra horsepower(likely just from the higher redline, as the torque figure is still the same as a GT) and some nice interior bits. The exterior colours are limited to green and black. And I don't really "get" the reference behind it so that holds no value to me. Still not bad, will just try it for the sake of it but that's a pass from me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:59:17 pm by UnknownJinX »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2020, 12:59:44 pm »
Why would you buy a car like this if you're not going to push it fairly often? 

I would think the rev-happy nature of the 5.0 Coyote would help in AutoCross, because you could keep it in 1st/2nd gear and just use revs. 

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2020, 01:00:46 pm »

That tires you smell.

No one said burn out.

Surprising fact.  In either of these V8 cars you can slowly let the clutch out without giving any throttle at all and start rolling in first gear.  This is called torque.

To be fair, that is possible in almost any manual car, even 4-cylinders.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #428 on: February 27, 2020, 01:14:28 pm »
now that i have a big v8, i think i should weigh in on this....

what the hell are you all talking about?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #429 on: February 27, 2020, 01:15:49 pm »
Why would you buy a car like this if you're not going to push it fairly often? 

I would think the rev-happy nature of the 5.0 Coyote would help in AutoCross, because you could keep it in 1st/2nd gear and just use revs.

Once again, I push my car when it's safe to do so, but on public roads, that's not going to happen for the most part. And there are times I just don't feel like it, but in no way I drive like a grandma.

My friends who ride with me know how I drive, and I don't go easy if the opportunities present themselves.

And from my experience, having a better low-end helps out at AutoX as well. Take a hairpin turn and your speed and revs might drop low coming out of a turn, so you could use some good low-end coming out of a turn. That, and the 1LE has a handling edge compared to the Bullitt.

In no way I am saying the Mustangs are torqueless. They still have plenty, but everything I have read plus just some basic knowledge in engine show that the Camaro will have better low-end while the Mustang will have better top-end. Also Mustangs supposedly sound better, so there is also that. To each of their own.

That tires you smell.

No one said burn out.

Surprising fact.  In either of these V8 cars you can slowly let the clutch out without giving any throttle at all and start rolling in first gear.  This is called torque.

Yeah, that's the first thing you should learn driving a manual: how to get a car going just using clutch.

As long as it's a flat ground, you should get a Corolla going without using gas, or you need to practice more.

And I know different people do it differently, but when you let the clutch out, it's not a linear, slow motion. It's more like quickly release it to the bite point, hold the clutch at the bite point for a bit then slowly let the clutch out the rest of the way. That's how I do it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 01:23:24 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #430 on: February 27, 2020, 01:16:24 pm »

smokey burnouts and dry pavement donuts.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #431 on: February 27, 2020, 01:19:21 pm »

smokey burnouts and dry pavement donuts.

ah...neither of which i'm familiar with.....    i may be able to do some dry pavement donuts later in the year.  we shall see.   

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 27, 2020, 01:37:50 pm »

Me driving like a normal person on the street and everyone going apesh*t over that.

Other than the recommendation of the Mustang Bullitt, nothing important.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 27, 2020, 01:59:56 pm »

That tires you smell.

No one said burn out.

I sure couldn't in my STI.

An AWD car might have been a little different.  More resistance from two differentials, the transfer case, etc. 

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 27, 2020, 02:47:22 pm »

That tires you smell.

No one said burn out.

I sure couldn't in my STI.

An AWD car might have been a little different.  More resistance from two differentials, the transfer case, etc.

Must be.

That thing had grip for days.

Could be the clutch as well. Maybe the clutch on the STI is a bit closer to a racing clutch, which is more of an on-off switch kind of deal so you won't be able to get it going without some revs.

I doubt any stock cars would be like that, though.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #435 on: February 27, 2020, 03:54:46 pm »
Mazdaspeed6 was like that. Horrible to try and get going smoothly.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 27, 2020, 04:34:04 pm »
Mazdaspeed6 was like that. Horrible to try and get going smoothly.

Those cars had finicky clutches because the drivetrain was similar to the economy cars they were based on, and they had relatively small diameter clutches.  In order to get the small clutch to transmit the increased power from the hopped up four cylinder powerplants, they need to put in stiffer springs, resulting in clutches that are harder to modulate.

Conversely, look at a clutch in a V8 manual car.  It will be large diameter, and easy to modulate, even though it's potentially transmitting the same or more HP as those turbocharged four cylinders.  That being said, as soon as you start adding in big power (like the supercharged LT4 in the ZL1), then even those clutches start becoming on/off switches due to the need to transmit the huge power and torque. 

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #437 on: February 27, 2020, 04:43:40 pm »

Could be the clutch as well. Maybe the clutch on the STI is a bit closer to a racing clutch, which is more of an on-off switch kind of deal so you won't be able to get it going without some revs.

I doubt any stock cars would be like that, though.

Could be... Drove a WRX a couple times, no problem launching that one

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #438 on: February 27, 2020, 04:59:09 pm »
In general, cars with smaller turbo engines also don't have as much compression as a normally aspirated engine, so actually have pretty bad torque until you add some throttle.
Getting a lot better with modern engine management, but it used to be awful and much of what the on/off switch was in old turbo cars.

Heavy flywheel and rotating mass adds to ease of engaging a clutch as well.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #439 on: February 28, 2020, 08:34:41 am »
You guys are basically correct but I would say it also depends what model you have. The splitter on my 1LE is like 4 inches off the ground. It scrapes fairly often in summer let alone winter. Not optimal for winter driving and the refrozen crust on streets and end of driveways, etc. Plus the front of the 1LE is totally open and full of radiators and heat exchangers. :censor: would make me nervous in winter.

So again, yeah you can do it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

But whatever. When any of you sally :censor: buy a [modern] muscle car and drive it in the winter I'll buy you a beer. But my actions speak louder than words.

PS Unknown I have driven the Stingray Z51. I've been sick and but I'll give a quick response at some point soon.

Edit: I know you did it Evil Twin, but the current Mustang is a far different beast than your 2005 GT.
Thanks, I would appreciate that.

When and if the time comes to buy them, I will test drive them both to see for sure, but until then I would like to hear some feedback, especially things I could miss on a test drive.

It sure is.  The Mustang is world class now.
Camaro still seems to be better in a lot of measures, however.

I am not considering a Mustang partly also because they are somewhat common on the West Coast(most of them are Ecoboosts, but still), while a GT350 is out of my budget and the gas mileage is plain horrendous(this is coming from a rotary owner). Couple that with the West Coast gas price... Nope.

I used to like Challengers for their looks, but after owning an RX-8, I don't think I would be very happy with the handling of a Challenger. Camaro and Corvette are better in that regard.

Not saying Mustangs are bad as they have come a long way and can be capable in the right hands and mods, but personally I am just more interested in the GM sports/pony cars.

I almost bought a 1LE Camaro SS (the regular version is meh).  But I found the Bullitt to be better looking to my eyes, sound better, have a more exciting motor (the rev limiter is at 7600 rpm and it is still pulling hard), have a more user friendly and higher quality interior, I could see out of it, and for the street, the track package would not make a difference at all.  Although I am happily married, I suspect I could get laid more often with the Bullitt.

As for the looks, I like the 6th Gen Mustangs before the facelift. The facelift is fugly IMO. I thought the Camaro facelift is ugly, but it really grew on me in time.

Engine revs, I had an RX-8 so I have already been up there(9000 RPM redline), so I really wanted something that's the exact opposite: gobs of torque, but doesn't rev high, which the LT1 does better than the Coyote. Plus, that also means a slight fuel economy advantage. Call me cheap, but gas on the West Coast is, again, expensive. Better low-end in general means easier for daily driving.

Visibility can be an issue, but I feel like that's something I can only really say for sure after test driving.

The one thing 1LE attracts me is the magneride suspension for some of the rougher roads, and bonus with the bigger brakes that can stop the car sooner. Some also say that the PDR on the 1LE is good for parking. I personally do Autocross monthly(whenever I can in Victoria) so having that capability is nice.

I don't buy a car to get laid, but if you really want to go down that path, the Corvette will be better than a Mustang or a Camaro for that purpose.

That last part was a joke.

Magnaride is an option on the Mustang.  It's has a Brembo brake option. It pulls harder than the LT1 over 3000 rpm.  Pick your poison.  The Coyote will feel like a supercharged Viper next to your RX8.  That car was beyond gutless.

Well if you are daily driving the car, you wouldn't normally go over 3k RPM anyway.

LOL

Methinks there is some confusion with torque curves and gearing.

I drove the Exige daily, an hour each way, never dropped out of the 6K-8.5k range unless there was a red light!  :rofl2:

A.) Atta Boy and B.) you had (have?) one of my dream cars.  Did you sell it?

Yep, before I moved to Canada.

Here is my original buying thread (wow 15 years ago...  :o) :
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=28360.0

And some pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_smith_photography/albums/72157637031008773

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...