Author Topic: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE  (Read 126137 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
« Reply #400 on: February 26, 2020, 04:51:34 pm »
Audi B7 RS4. AWD. V8. Manual. Will soon go up in value.

Doubt it.  Those motors are not exactly a paradigm of reliability.  Plus the manual transmissions are known for premature grenading.
Hagerty disagrees. Also didnt know about the transmission issue, but never heard of engine issues other than the carbon service. Timing chain issues were S4, not RS4 from what I have been told (Audi tech).

I suspect taking a chance on one is okay assuming depreciation is flat right now (or minimal).
That is what makes it a decent buy right now, they are in their trough value wise. Probably will go up soon.

I looked at them prior to my IS-F purchase.  Maintenance costs are pretty steep.

And most of them now have fairly high KMs. I'm not sure about long term Audi reliability.  :)  You'd be paying all the money for a low mileage one.  Money might be spent better elsewhere.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #401 on: February 26, 2020, 05:00:52 pm »
I hear what you are saying, head vs heart purchase. Was just thinking what is the best AWD V8 manual sport sedan of recent years...B7 RS4 was my answer.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 26, 2020, 05:04:41 pm »
I hear what you are saying, head vs heart purchase. Was just thinking what is the best AWD V8 manual sport sedan of recent years...B7 RS4 was my answer.

I mean...I desperately want an Audi S8 V10!  But......same thing.

There's one I'd love to have..it's in Edmonton. Rare exterior/interior color combo.  Anyone want to check it out for me?  ;D

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2008-audi-s8-v10-quattro-450hp-1-owner-special-only-16-900/1481493250
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 05:06:56 pm by rrocket »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 26, 2020, 05:39:44 pm »
I fully support this initiative. V10 S8 rules. Buddy's father had an S6, was solid for him except suspension refresh was expensive once the miles went by.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 26, 2020, 05:42:38 pm »
I fully support this initiative. V10 S8 rules. Buddy's father had an S6, was solid for him except suspension refresh was expensive once the miles went by.

I wouldn't be too worried about the suspension, as there are plenty of aftermarket rebuild places that drastically reduce price.  Even offer lifetime warranty.

I think I'd be most worried about electronic gremlins and whatnot...since FGC seem to do that so poorly.  V10 Engine/tranny is supposed to be robust.

https://rebuildmastertech.com/audi/s8/s8-2002-2009-d3-4e/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 05:46:33 pm by rrocket »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #405 on: February 26, 2020, 05:53:05 pm »

I wouldn't be too worried about the suspension, as there are plenty of aftermarket rebuild places that drastically reduce price.  Even offer lifetime warranty.

I think I'd be most worried about electronic gremlins and whatnot...since FGC seem to do that so poorly.  V10 Engine/tranny is supposed to be robust.

After all the hair you've lost in frustration with a lowly TT, you'd be willing to pick up the uberest ubersedan that Audi makes? 

Bold!  I didn't realize you had that much hair left to lose!  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 26, 2020, 06:09:12 pm »

After all the hair you've lost in frustration with a lowly TT, you'd be willing to pick up the uberest ubersedan that Audi makes? 

V10....hard to resist.  Sounds amazing.

But yea, would likely lead to a drinking or drug habit...or worse.   ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #407 on: February 26, 2020, 06:15:27 pm »

Much as that would make for an entertaining thread, I think an intervention would be in order if you pulled a move like that.  :o
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 26, 2020, 06:16:36 pm »

Much as that would make for an entertaining thread, I think an intervention would be in order if you pulled a move like that.  :o

IKR?

Even IQ...who is the WORST (or best, depending on perspective) car enabler in the world said "I'm not sure it's a good idea to have 2 Audis in the driveway".   :rofl: :rofl2:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:19:16 pm by rrocket »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #409 on: February 26, 2020, 06:18:08 pm »

The best sounding V10 I've personally driven (which is a very small number) was the Huracan Spyder that I rented.  Just sex to the ears.  The V10 in the LFA is just sympthony to the ears as well.  There is no way I'd ever get bored of the sound of those two V10s.   :drool: :drool: :drool:
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 26, 2020, 06:20:39 pm »

The best sounding V10 I've personally driven (which is a very small number) was the Huracan Spyder that I rented. 

Exact engine in the S8 (with a few minor differences).  The Audi had the 5.2 before the Lambo did.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #411 on: February 26, 2020, 07:25:26 pm »
You guys are basically correct but I would say it also depends what model you have. The splitter on my 1LE is like 4 inches off the ground. It scrapes fairly often in summer let alone winter. Not optimal for winter driving and the refrozen crust on streets and end of driveways, etc. Plus the front of the 1LE is totally open and full of radiators and heat exchangers. :censor: would make me nervous in winter.

So again, yeah you can do it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

But whatever. When any of you sally :censor: buy a [modern] muscle car and drive it in the winter I'll buy you a beer. But my actions speak louder than words.

PS Unknown I have driven the Stingray Z51. I've been sick and but I'll give a quick response at some point soon.

Edit: I know you did it Evil Twin, but the current Mustang is a far different beast than your 2005 GT.
Thanks, I would appreciate that.

When and if the time comes to buy them, I will test drive them both to see for sure, but until then I would like to hear some feedback, especially things I could miss on a test drive.

It sure is.  The Mustang is world class now.
Camaro still seems to be better in a lot of measures, however.

I am not considering a Mustang partly also because they are somewhat common on the West Coast(most of them are Ecoboosts, but still), while a GT350 is out of my budget and the gas mileage is plain horrendous(this is coming from a rotary owner). Couple that with the West Coast gas price... Nope.

I used to like Challengers for their looks, but after owning an RX-8, I don't think I would be very happy with the handling of a Challenger. Camaro and Corvette are better in that regard.

Not saying Mustangs are bad as they have come a long way and can be capable in the right hands and mods, but personally I am just more interested in the GM sports/pony cars.

I almost bought a 1LE Camaro SS (the regular version is meh).  But I found the Bullitt to be better looking to my eyes, sound better, have a more exciting motor (the rev limiter is at 7600 rpm and it is still pulling hard), have a more user friendly and higher quality interior, I could see out of it, and for the street, the track package would not make a difference at all.  Although I am happily married, I suspect I could get laid more often with the Bullitt.

As for the looks, I like the 6th Gen Mustangs before the facelift. The facelift is fugly IMO. I thought the Camaro facelift is ugly, but it really grew on me in time.

Engine revs, I had an RX-8 so I have already been up there(9000 RPM redline), so I really wanted something that's the exact opposite: gobs of torque, but doesn't rev high, which the LT1 does better than the Coyote. Plus, that also means a slight fuel economy advantage. Call me cheap, but gas on the West Coast is, again, expensive. Better low-end in general means easier for daily driving.

Visibility can be an issue, but I feel like that's something I can only really say for sure after test driving.

The one thing 1LE attracts me is the magneride suspension for some of the rougher roads, and bonus with the bigger brakes that can stop the car sooner. Some also say that the PDR on the 1LE is good for parking. I personally do Autocross monthly(whenever I can in Victoria) so having that capability is nice.

I don't buy a car to get laid, but if you really want to go down that path, the Corvette will be better than a Mustang or a Camaro for that purpose.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:29:16 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #412 on: February 26, 2020, 08:07:08 pm »
You guys are basically correct but I would say it also depends what model you have. The splitter on my 1LE is like 4 inches off the ground. It scrapes fairly often in summer let alone winter. Not optimal for winter driving and the refrozen crust on streets and end of driveways, etc. Plus the front of the 1LE is totally open and full of radiators and heat exchangers. :censor: would make me nervous in winter.

But whatever. When any of you sally :censor: buy a [modern] muscle car and drive it in the winter I'll buy you a beer. But my actions speak louder than words.

PS Unknown I have driven the Stingray Z51. I've been sick and but I'll give a quick response at some point soon.

Edit: I know you did it Evil Twin, but the current Mustang is a far different beast than your 2005 GT.

When and if the time comes to buy them, I will test drive them both to see for sure, but until then I would like to hear some feedback, especially things I could miss on a test drive.

I am not considering a Mustang partly also because they are somewhat common on the West Coast(most of them are Ecoboosts, but still), while a GT350 is out of my budget and the gas mileage is plain horrendous(this is coming from a rotary owner). Couple that with the West Coast gas price... Nope.

I used to like Challengers for their looks, but after owning an RX-8, I don't think I would be very happy with the handling of a Challenger. Camaro and Corvette are better in that regard.

Not saying Mustangs are bad as they have come a long way and can be capable in the right hands and mods, but personally I am just more interested in the GM sports/pony cars.

I almost bought a 1LE Camaro SS (the regular version is meh).  But I found the Bullitt to be better looking to my eyes, sound better, have a more exciting motor (the rev limiter is at 7600 rpm and it is still pulling hard), have a more user friendly and higher quality interior, I could see out of it, and for the street, the track package would not make a difference at all.  Although I am happily married, I suspect I could get laid more often with the Bullitt.

As for the looks, I like the 6th Gen Mustangs before the facelift. The facelift is fugly IMO. I thought the Camaro facelift is ugly, but it really grew on me in time.

Engine revs, I had an RX-8 so I have already been up there(9000 RPM redline), so I really wanted something that's the exact opposite: gobs of torque, but doesn't rev high, which the LT1 does better than the Coyote. Plus, that also means a slight fuel economy advantage. Call me cheap, but gas on the West Coast is, again, expensive. Better low-end in general means easier for daily driving.

Visibility can be an issue, but I feel like that's something I can only really say for sure after test driving.

The one thing 1LE attracts me is the magneride suspension for some of the rougher roads, and bonus with the bigger brakes that can stop the car sooner. Some also say that the PDR on the 1LE is good for parking. I personally do Autocross monthly(whenever I can in Victoria) so having that capability is nice.

I don't buy a car to get laid, but if you really want to go down that path, the Corvette will be better than a Mustang or a Camaro for that purpose.

That last part was a joke.

Magnaride is an option on the Mustang.  It's has a Brembo brake option. It pulls harder than the LT1 over 3000 rpm.  Pick your poison.  The Coyote will feel like a supercharged Viper next to your RX8.  That car was beyond gutless.

Well if you are daily driving the car, you wouldn't normally go over 3k RPM anyway.

And yes I am aware that V8s are faster than an NA rotary. And I drive an old Honda Accord so that's even slower, LOL. Bottom line, both cars are decently fast, just one does low-end better, one does high-end better.

Just looked up the Bullitt on Autotrader... Noticed it only has one exterior colour option? Camaro is available in some flashier colours(Crush and Shock for example) as well. The Bullitt looks so subdued in comparison. It's just me but the look of it doesn't compare with the Camaro SS 1LE. YMMV of course.

1LE also has meatier tires from what I looked up.

Probably will test drive one for the sake of comparison if the opportunity presents, but I probably wouldn't pick it.

Just noticed the Bullitt doesn't look like it has a sunroof. I want a sunroof, though. 1LE has the option.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:32:14 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #413 on: February 26, 2020, 08:43:48 pm »

Magnaride is an option on the Mustang.  It's has a Brembo brake option. It pulls harder than the LT1 over 3000 rpm.  Pick your poison.  The Coyote will feel like a supercharged Viper next to your RX8.  That car was beyond gutless.

Well if you are daily driving the car, you wouldn't normally go over 3k RPM anyway.

LOL

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #414 on: February 26, 2020, 10:21:01 pm »

LOL

Methinks there is some confusion with torque curves and gearing.

I drove the Exige daily, an hour each way, never dropped out of the 6K-8.5k range unless there was a red light!  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 26, 2020, 10:48:00 pm »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 26, 2020, 10:52:37 pm »
 :rofl2:
Yeah...

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 26, 2020, 11:22:34 pm »

LOL

From what I have looked up, yes the Bullitt will be faster in a straightline than a 1LE, but the 1LE has better handling and I value handling, hence why I am leaning towards the 1LE.

By no means I am saying the Bullitt is bad. I can see the appeal of it but I am just not as attracted to it.

LOL

I drove the Exige daily, an hour each way, never dropped out of the 6K-8.5k range unless there was a red light!  :rofl2:
Try that in Vancouver and see how soon you get pulled over for a VI.

Even had that happen to a Corvette Grand Sport owner in Victoria. He wasn't even in Sport mode and was still given a VI.

So I am the weirdo for driving like a normal person now? LOL.

Or are you reading it as I will never drive it spiritedly? I already mentioned I Autocross, and I think I will also look into tracking. I also have fun on backroads. When I am just trying to get to places or just not feeling like hooning it, yeah I just drive like a normal person and keep the revs around or below 2k RPM.

The thing is that it will be my only car, so there are things that wouldn't make sense on a toy car I am looking for, like a sunroof or being daily-friendly.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 26, 2020, 11:25:32 pm »
Idle is like 1,000 RPMS in my car.   :rofl: :rofl2:

So yea...I go over 3K RPM all the time!!  And redline as often as possible.  :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:28:33 pm by rrocket »

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 26, 2020, 11:43:16 pm »

Well, I did that in the RX-8 as well. Granted, it's because the car is torqueless, but it's also for the noise and the beep at the redline.

I also rev the crap out of my Accord when the opportunities present themselves, but let's be real here, 95% of the time I drive like a sane person.

I will also say that almost every single car I have driven will see the engine revved to the redline. But again, that's just 5% of the time.

I go over 3K RPM just backing out of my garage.
I can already smell your clutch burning all the way over my side of the screen.