Author Topic: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE  (Read 126197 times)

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
Re: Mango's 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
« Reply #360 on: February 18, 2020, 04:25:40 pm »
The real benefit to ABS is that it lets drivers maintain steering during panic maneuvers where the tendency is to lock the brakes.
^^^ DING DING DING.

this is what ABS is for...it's not for planting your foot to the floor, while your car pulses the brakes as you plow into the rear end of the truck in front of you...it's so you can give it aggressive amounts of braking, but still be able to steer the vehicle around whatever you would normally run into.

You are likely referring to one of the various stability/traction control systems:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

ABS will work together with ESC but is only responsible for preventing brake lock.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #361 on: February 18, 2020, 04:32:22 pm »
.however, in a panic situation with 99% of regular drivers, the instinctive reaction is to slam on the brakes, which on most cars made in the last 30+ years, means you will lock up the wheels,

I'm saying often this is not so in many, if not most conditions, people usually don't hit the brakes hard enough to even engage ABS, hence the addition of braking assist electronics.

I do agree with your assessment in slippery, wet or wintery conditions (where I suppose most incidents occur).    There is also often still the story of "I hit the brakes but the pedal vibrated and made a weird noise so I took my foot off it".
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 04:34:57 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #362 on: February 18, 2020, 06:03:19 pm »
Man, reading my own thread makes me want to drive this.  ;D
Gotta thank you for this thread though. Looks like I was missing out for a pretty solid option that can be had for less money or get a newer one for the same money.

Have you driven a C7 for comparison? If so, how was it? Or is there already a reply for this question in this thread?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #363 on: February 18, 2020, 10:40:59 pm »
The real benefit to ABS is that it lets drivers maintain steering during panic maneuvers where the tendency is to lock the brakes.
^^^ DING DING DING.

this is what ABS is for...it's not for planting your foot to the floor, while your car pulses the brakes as you plow into the rear end of the truck in front of you...it's so you can give it aggressive amounts of braking, but still be able to steer the vehicle around whatever you would normally run into.

You are likely referring to one of the various stability/traction control systems:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

ABS will work together with ESC but is only responsible for preventing brake lock.
no...that's another aid, but that's more for stabilizing the vehicle when in motion, for example, around a corner...if the front brakes lock, you can't steer, hence why ABS was created.

see here for an example:

The recommended technique for non-expert drivers in an ABS-equipped car, in a typical full-braking emergency, is to press the brake pedal as firmly as possible and, where appropriate, to steer around obstructions. In such situations, ABS will significantly reduce the chances of a skid and subsequent loss of control.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system#Effectiveness

it's not about shorter stopping distances (which isn't always the case with ABS equipped cars), it's about maintaining control of the vehicle so you can steer around obstacles while braking.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #364 on: February 23, 2020, 05:57:09 pm »
I mean, why are we talking about ABS? Anyone actually driving a Camaro/Corvette in snowy winter?

Not that you can't do it, but you'd get stuck very easily given the ground clearance of both vehicles.

Anyway, from my research it looks like the Camaro has the same trunk volume as an RX-8 so that's nothing new to me. At least the rear seats in the 'Maro do fold down for some longer items, unlike the RX-8.

The more I look at it, the harder it is to decide between it and a 'Vette.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #365 on: February 23, 2020, 06:00:35 pm »
Not that you can't do it, but you'd get stuck very easily given the ground clearance of both vehicles.

Around here (Cambridge/Kitchener/Waterloo) there has been only 3 (?) days so far this winter where I wouldn't have driven a Corvette.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 24, 2020, 12:37:25 am »

Around here (Cambridge/Kitchener/Waterloo) there has been only 3 (?) days so far this winter where I wouldn't have driven a Corvette.
It depends on how well the road is plowed and if you live at a place where they will plow the snow right into the front of your driveway.

On the west coast, if it snows, I would have parked my car. The cities have no idea how to clear the snow, and if you live on a side street, good luck get out without an SUV/pickup truck.

Oh, and also they have no idea how to drive in the snow which means they will end up plowing into you.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2020, 06:44:03 am »

Even in "snow dump prone" Ottawa, never had an issue with my lowered Saab in winter, nor now my slightly lowered IS300 (RWD and with winters btw). Yes, on the worst days you might be a plow on untouched roads after a big snowfall, and any snow bank will be an obstacle, but honestly what will stop a Camaro in the winter, will probably prove an issue for many other cars too.

Driving my IS300 in winter has really opened my eyes as to what is really needed in winter. It isn't much other than good tires.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2020, 09:17:13 am »
The primary reason to store a hobby car is to protect it against salt corrosion.  The vast majority of sports rides can be driven year round with a motivated driver.

Agreed.   

The concern of being stuck in the snow generally only applies to <5 days in a typical Ontario winter.

With proper tires, you can drive almost all cars year-round.   They can just take a bit of beating from salt and other debris from Nov-March.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2020, 10:41:03 am »
Nope. I would for sure store the car as Mango is doing. Preserves the drivetrain, paint, everything from winter crap. Wont enjoy driving it in winter anyways. No point in ruining the car a little every day just to drive in crap conditions.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #370 on: February 24, 2020, 11:06:19 am »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #371 on: February 24, 2020, 11:12:51 am »

I understand what you're saying but as I mentioned previously, I don't want to drive it in the winter because I don't think it would be fun but moreover I just have a pathological issue with driving my totally babied sportscar in the winter. I don't care if it's worth $30,000 now. Same reason I wouldn't wear my nice swede shoes in the snow :-) I can't bear the thought of driving my 1LE in the winter conditions here.

Plus in the winter I'm driving to the ski hill and all that other business. I'd just assume listen to some nice tunes and be sippin' on my latte driving easy for the season.

Now. In all fairness this is why I'm looking at something like a C43 wagon or a M550i or a S5 sportback for my next car......something sporty that I can drive all year round and also to the ski hill. I've lost my winter storage next to my office as the space is now rented out so it's not optimal right now with 4 cars.

Totally agree. 
An AWD wagon is the sportscar of the Canadian winter.   Leave the low-slung RWD stuff for summer fun

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #372 on: February 24, 2020, 11:27:39 am »
You guys are basically correct but I would say it also depends what model you have. The splitter on my 1LE is like 4 inches off the ground. It scrapes fairly often in summer let alone winter. Not optimal for winter driving and the refrozen crust on streets and end of driveways, etc. Plus the front of the 1LE is totally open and full of radiators and heat exchangers. :censor: would make me nervous in winter.

So again, yeah you can do it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

But whatever. When any of you sally :censor: buy a [modern] muscle car and drive it in the winter I'll buy you a beer. But my actions speak louder than words.

PS Unknown I have driven the Stingray Z51. I've been sick and but I'll give a quick response at some point soon.

Edit: I know you did it Evil Twin, but the current Mustang is a far different beast than your 2005 GT.

Totally agree.   Not to misconstrue:  I'm not necessarily advocating that people should be driving their 1LE or C7 or whatever in the winter.... up to the owner and how minty they want to keep things.

I'm just negating the argument that you're going to get stuck in your RWD sportscar.   The reality is you'll be fine in Ontario but for a small handful of days.

Now. In all fairness this is why I'm looking at something like a C43 wagon or a M550i or a S5 sportback for my next car......something sporty that I can drive all year round and also to the ski hill. I've lost my winter storage next to my office as the space is now rented out so it's not optimal right now with 4 cars.

Yeah.   Although my 335i is getting up there, it's a nice balance of all-year sportiness with the manual and RWD.   I'd love a manual sedan/wagon replacement at some point...but that is seeming less and less likely.   Something with a V8 would be a good consolation I guess...M550i, etc.

I wouldn't be interested in dedicated sports car unless:

a) I had piles more money
b) a 3 car garage
c) children that didn't need driving

Or at least 2 of the 3 above.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #373 on: February 24, 2020, 04:53:40 pm »

But whatever. When any of you sally :censor: buy a [modern] muscle car and drive it in the winter I'll buy you a beer. But my actions speak louder than words.

Woot!

Twas no garage queen.  ;D

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #374 on: February 24, 2020, 05:01:11 pm »
^he's gotchya there Vman :rofl:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2020, 05:17:39 pm »
Sweet!!  Beers for me too!!

Drove my IS-F in the winter!!

The day I put the winters on.  Fast Wheels with Micheline X-Ice 3.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 05:19:37 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2020, 05:28:39 pm »
^that's 2 of you now.... but do 4 door sedans count :stick: :rofl: :run:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #377 on: February 24, 2020, 05:42:24 pm »
^^While I like and appreciate the nature of Ron and Bob's posts, I'm gonna play devils advocate.  The C63 and ISF are hopped up versions of family sedans.  The Camaro is more of a sports car.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 24, 2020, 05:42:59 pm »
^^While I like and appreciate the nature of Ron and Bob's posts, I'm gonna play devils advocate.  The C63 and ISF are hopped up versions of family sedans.  The Camaro is more of a sports car.

You can buy a Camaro with a 4 banger too though....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 24, 2020, 05:43:31 pm »
^that's 2 of you now.... but do 4 door sedans count :stick: :rofl: :run:

It doesn't matter...he said his actions speak louder than words.

So I'm expecting beers.   :rofl: :rofl2: