Author Topic: Buying Tesla shares as a long term investment  (Read 30942 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Buying Tesla shares as a long term investment
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2020, 05:04:37 pm »
I have spent a total of $3 (light bulb) to maintain my small Smart Electric cars since 2013, that is the total maintenance for 7 years and 50000 km across two EV's.

Is there or is there not a recommended maintenance schedule in the manual? I'd imagine MB would want to make some money on brakes, fluids, filters and so on...
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2020, 05:06:52 pm »
My actual Chevy dealer is good, nothing wrong with them. First dealer in 2012* tried to hose me. Never went back.

(3) Volt and (1) Spark EV

#1*: new 2012 volt
#1: almost new (used with 263 km) 2014 Spark EV
#2 used 2013 Volt ~90K km
#3 new 2019 Volt

Exception taken of winter tires, TPMS, second set of rim, regular maintenance (oil+filter, wiper blades, traction battery coolant change, etc) and only paid wearable items was on my 2013: brake @ 135k kms on 4 wheels and right front bearing/ABS sensor once out of warranty. Left font bearing and main traction motor bearing changed under warranty. Not bad for 171K kms once I gave the key to my son last August.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:08:45 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2020, 05:08:28 pm »
...which is pretty much the same as ICE cars driven under warranty....

Wasn't aware of any gas cars with 8 year unlimited distance warranty on drive trains like our Tesla Model S has?

That's because the Tesla needs it (as you found out under warranty already with the motors replacement).  :)  So while it wasn't out of pocket, you did have, essentially, a partial powertrain replacement.  I don't think anyone else on the board has had a powertrain replacement done..whether under or out of warranty.  Important distinction IMO.

ICE engine are pretty damn reliable these days....most manufacturers having 5-6 years warranties.  And for the price premium paid for an EV, you could certainly buy an extended powertrain warranty to any length required.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:11:49 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2020, 05:10:53 pm »
I recall Mazda offers some unlimited km powertrain warranties.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2020, 05:13:29 pm »

I know on Toyota specifically....hybrid system is 8 years, hybrid battery 10 years.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2020, 08:38:38 am »

I know on Toyota specifically....hybrid system is 8 years, hybrid battery 10 years.

Voltec: traction battery, inverter, electric motors drivetrain warranty coverage is/was 8 years /160,000 km except in California, by mandate PZEV vehicle battery has to be warranty 10 years / 150,000 miles (~240,000 km). So imho, it was engineered in consequence...

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/california-vehicle-and-emissions-warranty-periods
10 years/ 150k miles battery or other energy storage device
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:46:40 am by me_2 »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2020, 10:37:54 am »
I don't think anyone else on the board has had a powertrain replacement done..

^ one post up, bearing replacement on a Volt, same thing Tesla did to my motor, except Tesla did my motor by swapping with refurbished and I had car back in 2 hours, not a replacement, a swap, you understand the difference but seem to be caught up in FUD, Tesla fixed the bearings in California, they didn't throw out the motors they made a small change to a part and used them to swap into other cars, very efficient.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2020, 12:15:37 pm »

^ one post up, bearing replacement on a Volt, same thing Tesla did to my motor, except Tesla did my motor by swapping with refurbished and I had car back in 2 hours, not a replacement, a swap, you understand the difference but seem to be caught up in FUD, Tesla fixed the bearings in California, they didn't throw out the motors they made a small change to a part and used them to swap into other cars, very efficient.

So you got a used part under warranty and that's a feature?
Mr Pickypants

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2020, 12:19:23 pm »
it is for the cult  ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2020, 03:29:54 pm »

Semantics....

You had your motor replaced. Period. Whatever the reasoning.

The ICE equivalent would be having the engine swapped under warranty.(because they don't rebuild engines either typically)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2020, 01:00:24 pm »

The refurbished motor in our Model S is completely silent, powerful and beyond the performance of any previous 300HP+ muscle cars I owned and warrantied for 8 years and unlimited distance.
So yeah, feature.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2020, 05:24:48 pm »

To be fair, on Mazda rotaries, Mazda technically sell remanufactured engines. Some vendors did a teardown on them and said that almost all components are brand new. They are just called that way. Could be the case for Tesla here: mostly new components but just called a refurbished/remanufactured part.

The refurbished motor in our Model S is completely silent, powerful and beyond the performance of any previous 300HP+ muscle cars I owned and warrantied for 8 years and unlimited distance.
So yeah, feature.

You realize that 300+ HP muscles are the V6/I4T ones nowadays, right? V6 Camaro makes 335 HP while Ecoboost Mustang makes around that figure as well. V8 ones nowadays are well capable of 450+ HP. All of these options are a lot cheaper than a Model S, even if you consider the fuel and maintenance cost.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2020, 05:26:55 pm »
^too much logic there....

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2020, 05:32:38 pm »

Sorry. Uhm... tesla iz dah bes! Is that better?

On the original topic, I don't see why not if you have spare cash and want to see what happens. Never put all of your eggs in one basket, obviously.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2020, 05:34:45 pm »

Sorry. Uhm... tesla iz dah bes! Is that better?

On the original topic, I don't see why not if you have spare cash and want to see what happens. Never put all of your eggs in one basket, obviously.
No need to be sorry... too much logic for Smart Electric is what I was getting at, ha, ha, ha!!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2020, 11:21:14 am »

To be fair, on Mazda rotaries, Mazda technically sell remanufactured engines. Some vendors did a teardown on them and said that almost all components are brand new. They are just called that way. Could be the case for Tesla here: mostly new components but just called a refurbished/remanufactured part.

He said they just changed the bearings.   It's a used motor.
But hey, it's not a bug, it's a feature, Tesla just made sure the motor was broken in for him.    Everything is rainbows and unicorns in Tesla land if you look at it through Kool-aid goggles
I wonder how many ludicrous runs that used motor did?  Heat breaking down the insulation much yet?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2020, 01:32:41 pm »

He said they just changed the bearings.   It's a used motor.
But hey, it's not a bug, it's a feature, Tesla just made sure the motor was broken in for him.    Everything is rainbows and unicorns in Tesla land if you look at it through Kool-aid goggles
I wonder how many ludicrous runs that used motor did?  Heat breaking down the insulation much yet?
My issue wasn't so much it was replaced with used (If that's their policy do be it)...just that it was replaced.  I mean, good that it was replaced under warranty. But apart from him, how many people here have had powertrain replacements on their few year old cars...warranty or otherwise?

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2020, 11:20:44 am »
You realize that 300+ HP muscles are the V6/I4T ones nowadays, right? ...All of these options are a lot cheaper than a Model S, even if you consider the fuel and maintenance cost.

I loved my LT1 powered Z28, that was one of my favorite cars.
But all the (high horsepower or not) gas cars I've ever owned are dinosaurs compared to the EV's I own now.

Our Model S has been cheaper to own/operate/fuel than our previous >300HP Mercedes SUV we traded in for it on a 5 year basis.
The 5 year costs amortized monthly of our Model S are similar to what my parents are paying for their Toyota Corolla lease + fuel.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2020, 12:20:36 pm »
You realize that 300+ HP muscles are the V6/I4T ones nowadays, right? ...All of these options are a lot cheaper than a Model S, even if you consider the fuel and maintenance cost.

I loved my LT1 powered Z28, that was one of my favorite cars.
But all the (high horsepower or not) gas cars I've ever owned are dinosaurs compared to the EV's I own now.

Our Model S has been cheaper to own/operate/fuel than our previous >300HP Mercedes SUV we traded in for it on a 5 year basis.
The 5 year costs amortized monthly of our Model S are similar to what my parents are paying for their Toyota Corolla lease + fuel.

Your comparison is all over the place.

Of course you are gonna think gas cars are fossils if you somehow think 300+HP is the most a gas car is somehow capable of and is somehow impressive.

Mercedes is gonna be expensive. That's kind of a given. At the same time, I think people owning a Mercedes don't usually let operating cost bug them too much. But this is a legitimate argument, seeing how Tesla is trying to compete in that segment.

As for the last one, it must be extra convenient to ignore the purchase cost of a Model S.

Or I guess I am using too much logic again. tesla iz da bes, yu digz mane?

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2020, 02:59:23 pm »
it must be extra convenient to ignore the purchase cost of a Model S

Bought the 2013 Tesla S from Tesla in 2015 with warranty so the costs have been extremely low, and note it's not a lease or finance.   Obviously comparison to a lease on Toyota Corolla is not apples to apples, but IF I sold the S today, the 5 year cost would be inline with that of my parents 5 year spend on their Corolla.   Tesla's depreciate more slowly, which is why the 5 year cost is lower than one might expect for a car that cost 2.5x the Toyota.   It's looking more likely we'll be keeping both our current EV's until 2022 or so when Cybertruck is in production, and then it either replaces the Tesla, or my Smart, either way.