Author Topic: Buying Tesla shares as a long term investment  (Read 30953 times)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Tesla shares as a long term investment
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 07:22:04 pm »
Let's see.  Who to believe.   Financial institution that has significant profitable (on paper) investment, or a blog author getting false information and twisting content to suit multi-year short selling failed anti-Tesla screed.   One of these two is successful with a factual logical approach, the other not so much. 

If you have anything factual to argue, post here, haven't seen anything but laughable FUD.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 07:25:53 pm »
Let's see.  Who to believe.   Financial institution that has significant profitable (on paper) investment, or a blog author getting false information and twisting content to suit multi-year short selling failed anti-Tesla screed.   One of these two is successful with a factual logical approach, the other not so much. 

If you have anything factual to argue, post here, haven't seen anything but laughable FUD.

So, being profitable is important?

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 07:26:03 pm »

It's a fact.  A company that has a substantial financial stake in a company will say good things about it to boost the share price and bottom line.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 07:29:34 pm »

It's a fact.  A company that has a substantial financial stake in a company will say good things about it to boost the share price and bottom line.

It's hard to believe that an investment company would ever say anything that helped make their product more valuable.

It's almost like.......real life.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 07:34:53 pm »
Any feedback on the facts as posted by Fidelity, that ICE drivetrain is only getting more complex and expensive, and electric drivetrain and battery tech is getting better and cheaper, making the transition to electrification obvious to Ford, GM, Daimler and BMW who have all recently announced their 5-10 year plans to catch up to Tesla's train?   Those are the facts.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/about

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Looks like the mission is starting to have an effect on the ICE carmakers...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 07:42:07 pm »
Any feedback on the facts as posted by Fidelity, that ICE drivetrain is only getting more complex and expensive, and electric drivetrain and battery tech is getting better and cheaper, making the transition to electrification obvious to Ford, GM, Daimler and BMW who have all recently announced their 5-10 year plans to catch up to Tesla's train?   Those are the facts.

Finally...you agree with me!!  This is precisely what I've been saying for years...and you've been telling me I'm wrong.   ::)  Now you agree with me.

I'll repeat in case you forget:  It's not that they COULDN'T make EVs, it's that they weren't profitable (see Tesla) because of the high cost of the technology.  Once technology costs came down (see Moore's Law) manufacturers would build EVs that they could profit from.

Corporations only care about profit and little else.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 07:53:26 pm »
And he even mentioned being profitable as if it was a sign of something important.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 07:53:35 pm »
I've never claimed the legacy automakers couldn't build compelling EV's, I love my Smart ED and will likely be buying another new one soon.

Tesla doesn't build a competitor to the Smart ED, so my only choice for the kind of product I want to commute in is served by the Smart brand, fine with me.   I also like the look of the Honda small EV concept they put out recently, so that is my small-car bias showing.

I've clearly said however legacy ICE makers have shown themselves to be incapable of building competitive products to Tesla and losing mind share and market share in the highly competitive large sedan market. 

That might be changing, but it's been 5 years and there still isn't anything on the road that comes close to the product's Tesla has on the market.

The Model 3 is a wake up call.   450,000 reservation owners aren't wrong.   

The customer is always right, and 98% of Tesla customers love the product and company and will continue buying from the brand.  High owner ratings are compelling differentiation for the luxury auto makers, this is their focus, and Tesla leads them all.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2020, 02:24:19 pm »
the share price of Tesla in no way a reflection of any fundamentals whatsoever.  right now it's trading on hope, or like a ponzi scheme.  they lost 2 dollars a share last Q and have enough cash to survive another 2 quarters, then they will issue more stock.  they are valued over companies that make boatloads of money like Ford, BMW, GM all based on the idea that they are on the verge of not just revolutionizing the auto industry but that will indeed become the biggest auto maker out there.  Yes all the fanatics will tell you they will take over the world but do you really think that is going to happen in the next year or two based on the model 3 which will cost 50-70k CAD?  Many of the other automakers have solid plans to bring BEVs in 2018 and 2019.

if you want to buy Tesla stock, wait for a very big pullback on the chart.  Last one was almost 40%.  The 50 week moving average is at 264.  That would be a min for me to buy into this.

It hit $1,000 today. So if you had bought the stock you would be doing good today (lol i didnt)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2020, 03:02:44 pm »
Well, you will economy a lot of money on fuel, but it can break down and you will lose a lot to repair it.

I have spent a total of $3 (light bulb) to maintain my small Smart Electric cars since 2013, that is the total maintenance for 7 years and 50000 km across two EV's.

Our Tesla is 7.6 years old, but we bought at 2.5 years with 4 year warranty, so far, all repairs were within warranty.
Still have till early 2021 for drive and battery warranty, so for now, no repair costs at all.

$3 in "repair" costs to drive 200000 km in three EV's.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2020, 03:27:48 pm »
...which is pretty much the same as ICE cars driven under warranty....

I had no out of pocket repair costs on cars with warranty either!

Maybe others here can comment on their out of pocket expenses while under warranty...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2020, 03:47:26 pm »

Maybe others here can comment on their out of pocket expenses while under warranty...

You know, as it happens, any cars I've had on warranty, I've also had zero out of pocket costs.  Weird, right?  Must be a coincidence.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2020, 04:04:43 pm »
Fanboi-isms aside my wife posed an interesting question to me today. Like me she is interested in hybrids and EVs and thinks it's the future. She asked me if we should buy a couple of shares in Tesla to hold for the long term and maybe pass onto our daughter. I know nothing about the markets except the basics of shares and I didn't know how to answer.

Yes, I think Tesla is part of a revolution and may be one of the catalysts that ignited the EV industry. But are they a good long term buy and will they be around long enough and successful enough to be a smart purchase? I don't know. Any thoughts on Tesla long term?

Yes, you would have 3x money by now.

And Shopify would be 7.5x by now.

All shares are a gamble, risk should be diversified yadda yadda.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2020, 04:45:14 pm »

There are repair costs and there is maintenance. Lots of ppl with new cars get repairs done under warranty (at no cost to them) but they get hosed by the dealers with their "maintenance plans" which are usually excessive and go above and beyond what the owner's manual asks to have done. Folks pay up out of fear of possibly losing the warranty coverage. In case of ICE cars dealers invite you over every 6,000 or 8,000 km, or more, or every few months, basically as often as they feel they can milk it. I'm not sure how it works with EVs but I'd assume there are also service plans for them, costing more than a few bucks.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2020, 04:47:17 pm »

There are repair costs and there is maintenance. Lots of ppl with new cars get repairs done under warranty (at no cost to them) but they get hosed by the dealers with their "maintenance plans" which are usually excessive and go above and beyond what the owner's manual asks to have done. Folks pay up out of fear of possibly losing the warranty coverage. In case of ICE cars dealers invite you over every 6,000 or 8,000 km, or more, or every few months, basically as often as they feel they can milk it. I'm not sure how it works with EVs but I'd assume there are also service plans for them, costing more than a few bucks.

Yea..it's not like EVs or hybrids are immune from dealer gouging for maintenance of consumables...somehow, some way they will make their money off of people.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 04:50:12 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2020, 04:50:37 pm »

Yea..it's not like EVs or hybrids are immune from dealer gouging for maintenance of consumables...

From what I overheard at a dealer some time ago, $100 to change a cabin filter since they "had to take half the dashboard apart" LOL, and that is a small up-sell on top of the regular maintenance  >:(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2020, 04:52:19 pm »

Yea..it's not like EVs or hybrids are immune from dealer gouging for maintenance of consumables...

From what I overheard at a dealer some time ago, $100 to change a cabin filter since they "had to take half the dashboard apart" LOL, and that is a small up-sell on top of the regular maintenance  >:(

Well I suppose removing the glove box door is technically half the dash in their thieving eyes....

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2020, 04:58:30 pm »
t's not like EVs or hybrids are immune from dealer gouging for maintenance of consumables...somehow, some way they will make their money off of people.

Tesla doesn't have dealers.   So, yeah, I am immune to that.   No brake job, no oil changes, no fuel stops.   Seems like the gauging is all about non-Tesla's.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2020, 04:58:51 pm »

Well I suppose removing the glove box door is technically half the dash in their thieving eyes....

A smaller half but still..  :rofl:

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2020, 04:59:44 pm »

Wasn't aware of any gas cars with 8 year unlimited distance warranty on drive trains like our Tesla Model S has?