Author Topic: Buying Tesla shares as a long term investment  (Read 30920 times)

stodge

Buying Tesla shares as a long term investment
« on: August 06, 2017, 06:27:47 pm »
Post content deleted at request of original poster.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 10:28:05 am by autoTRADER.ca »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Re: Buying Tesla shares as a long term investment
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 07:52:03 pm »
The person to answer this is mmret, he's the guru when it comes to that.

Any stock is going to have a risk associated with it. I bought Nortel years ago figuring there's no way they'd ever cease to exist, I was wrong. I think there's short term money to be made on Tesla, long term is too hard to predict. But I think long term you go blue chip stocks, something like Johnson & Johnson. People are always gonna buy toothpaste, diapers, etc...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 08:19:34 pm »
I am waiting for SpaceX to go public...that will be my investment in Elon Musk
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 09:46:49 pm »
 Nothing wrong with buying a couple of shares to see what happens and maybe teach your kids some investing lessons... don't bet your house on it though
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:48:44 pm by Hannibalsmith »
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 10:22:05 pm »
Nothing wrong with buying a couple of shares to see what happens and maybe teach your kids some investing lessons... don't bet your house on it though
It's better to teach your kids about investing by buying shares in companies THEY know and perhaps buy products with (Coke, Cineplex, Nike, etc)

Will make more sense and possibly be more interesting to them.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:07:53 am »
this apparent shameless fanboi supports buying of Tesla stock

buy it all
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:54:42 am »
I am waiting for SpaceX to go public...that will be my investment in Elon Musk

elonmusk: "First draft animation of the Falcon Heavy three core launch, FH is twice the thrust of the next largest rocket currently flying and ~2/3 thrust of the Saturn V moon rocket. Lot that can go wrong in the November launch ..."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXXiVWFgphb/

+1

---

TSLA is raising money for M3 production
https://electrek.co/2017/08/07/tesla-tsla-debt-raising-model-3/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:59:54 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 02:31:35 pm »

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. I think we're in the early stages of the EV revolution, and I guess I'm wondering if Tesla may become another Apple, or something resembling it.

Any recommendations for what canadian site to use for buying/selling shares?
You can buy them through your bank...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 11:19:43 pm »
Nothing wrong with buying a couple of shares to see what happens and maybe teach your kids some investing lessons

You can look at that statement a couple of ways.  ;D

Tesla is currently attempting to float 1.5 BILLION in high yield JUNK BONDS.  Buy some of those.  ;)   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 11:35:41 pm »
Nothing wrong with buying a couple of shares to see what happens and maybe teach your kids some investing lessons

You can look at that statement a couple of ways.  ;D

Tesla is currently attempting to float 1.5 BILLION in high yield JUNK BONDS.  Buy some of those.  ;)   
I think Musk said he wasn't going to do that, didn't he?

BTW..this is what Steve is taking about. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-offering-idUSKBN1AN13I
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:46:04 pm by rrocket »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 12:40:23 am »
That is in addition to March/17 where they sold 1.4 Billion in convertible bonds. 

You gotta hand it to Musk though.  What a sales guy!

The Tesla factory is the old mothballed GM plant where GM and Toyota made the Corolla and a couple of other units.  Tesla claims it's the most advanced car factory in the world.  :rofl2:    According to the below article, the plant produces 25K Tesli  :D with 10,000 workers.  Toyota assembles 550K vehicles and 600K engines plus all dashes on site with 8,000 workers.  :think:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/18/tesla-workers-factory-conditions-elon-musk

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 06:39:21 am »
That is in addition to March/17 where they sold 1.4 Billion in convertible bonds. 

You gotta hand it to Musk though.  What a sales guy!

The Tesla factory is the old mothballed GM plant where GM and Toyota made the Corolla and a couple of other units.  Tesla claims it's the most advanced car factory in the world.  :rofl2:    According to the below article, the plant produces 25K Tesli  :D with 10,000 workers.  Toyota assembles 550K vehicles and 600K engines plus all dashes on site with 8,000 workers.  :think:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/18/tesla-workers-factory-conditions-elon-musk
Who buys the other 50k engines ?

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 11:09:42 am »

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. I think we're in the early stages of the EV revolution, and I guess I'm wondering if Tesla may become another Apple, or something resembling it.

Any recommendations for what canadian site to use for buying/selling shares?

Open up a non-registered cash account at the discount brokerage arm of the bank you deal with. TD Bank - TD Waterhouse, RBC Bank - RBC Direct Investing. This way you will conveniently see the account when you do your internet banking. Your costs will basically be whatever commissions to buy the shares.

Then just buy a few shares and see what happens. Good luck!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 12:43:29 pm »
Not a "guru". Two thoughts.

1. I never get involved with hype stocks. Tesla is absolutely a hype stock.

2. As a general rule you have to ask yourself why the market hasn't already priced things in in such a way that you have no edge. What do you know that others don't?

I have no single name equity holdings.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 09:27:39 pm »
Who buys the other 50k engines ?

I dunno ... GM  :D

Forgot to put the Toyota link to that info ....    http://toyotaky.com/mandex.asp

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 10:53:22 pm »
the plant produces 25K Tesli  with 10,000 workers.  Toyota assembles 550K vehicles and 600K engines plus all dashes on site with 8,000 workers 

Tesla factory is the primary job site for the majority of the Tesla workforce, finance, design, R&D, marketing, HR, investor relations, etc.
The factory was an assembly building for the previous owner, now it's the world wide headquarters of Tesla.
Nice purchase for $40M.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 06:56:24 pm »
https://evannex.com/blogs/news/tsla-investing-the-epic-battle-between-elon-musk-and-tesla-haters

Wall Street's power players remain steadfast Tesla longs: "The biggest holders, aside from Musk, are mutual funds like Fidelity Investments, which has owned the stock since the IPO. With a current 12.8 percent stake (down from a high of 15 percent), the mutual fund giant is the largest institutional investor in Tesla, and portfolio manager Kyle Weaver says Fidelity has a long-term perspective on the company that is playing out largely as expected."  “The internal combustion engine is toast long term. It’s game over. The costs of making an internal combustion engine do not go down, while the cost of battery technology has gone down every year,” says Fidelity's Weaver. “The secular trends that will drive Tesla’s fundamentals are a decades-long trend.” He also applauds Tesla’s environmental mission, “I don’t want to bet against that in an emotional sense.”

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 07:00:25 pm »
https://evannex.com/blogs/news/tsla-investing-the-epic-battle-between-elon-musk-and-tesla-haters

Wall Street's power players remain steadfast Tesla longs: "The biggest holders, aside from Musk, are mutual funds like Fidelity Investments, which has owned the stock since the IPO. With a current 12.8 percent stake (down from a high of 15 percent), the mutual fund giant is the largest institutional investor in Tesla, and portfolio manager Kyle Weaver says Fidelity has a long-term perspective on the company that is playing out largely as expected."  “The internal combustion engine is toast long term. It’s game over. The costs of making an internal combustion engine do not go down, while the cost of battery technology has gone down every year,” says Fidelity's Weaver. “The secular trends that will drive Tesla’s fundamentals are a decades-long trend.” He also applauds Tesla’s environmental mission, “I don’t want to bet against that in an emotional sense.”

Wow...weird.  Someone who owns a :censor:-ton of Tesla stock saying something positive about....Tesla.  Which, in turn, could cause the price to go up.  Weird.   ::)

He has a financial stake in saying nice things about Tesla and his opinion is about as biased as it can get.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:03:29 pm by rrocket »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 07:15:16 pm »
That's almost as surprising as a short seller trashing Shopify.

seriously, the fund managers say what they think will help the fund.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 07:16:40 pm »
That's almost as surprising as a short seller trashing Shopify.

seriously, the fund managers say what they think will help the fund.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

Yep..I was going to bring up the Shopify article.  But I doubt he'd read it since it doesn't have "Tesla" in the article.