Author Topic: 2018 Golf R  (Read 12039 times)

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Vibe; 15 TDI Golf Wagon
Re: 2018 Golf R
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 10:34:32 pm »
My wife wishes we had got the DSG transmission as she refuses to drive a *6* speed (although the car she drives is a manual transmission 5 speed).

This makes no sense.  :rofl2:

She doesnt like the location of reverse in this European 6 speed.

But it has a reverse lockout though....how on earth could she get it into reverse?

You are preaching to the choir. I never said it was logical but it is as it is.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 09:25:25 am »
53000kms... so not a baby. it'll still work, but I won't sell it like it is. I think it's a little of column a and a little of column b... i'll send it to VW to see if I get lucky and anything is covered under warranty... maybe the flywheel has an issue or something.

Most important question — what would the owner of a R be looking to buy? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you know the answer to that question

upload image

Lol I was hoping that was the answer but could also be the prev gen.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 11:05:12 am »
tooscoops does have some pretty smokin' deals on RAMs right now.  Dare I say you'd be better off going to Grimsby than shopping in Wpg.  Sure there's gas and hotels, but you'd still come out ahead.  And get to break it in on the way home.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 11:10:22 am »
tooscoops does have some pretty smokin' deals on RAMs right now.  Dare I say you'd be better off going to Grimsby than shopping in Wpg.  Sure there's gas and hotels, but you'd still come out ahead.  And get to break it in on the way home.

Buying cars in other provinces and road tripping home is the best. I've done it four times.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 11:21:59 am »

Buying cars in other provinces and road tripping home is the best. I've done it four times.

It's something I've always wanted to do, sometimes just for the heck of it. 

The biggest issue with buying a cheap car is that Manitoba's Safety is very strict, and something that would pass safety in, say, Alberta, wouldn't necessarily pass in MB.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 12:07:22 pm »

The biggest issue with buying a cheap car is that Manitoba's Safety is very strict, and something that would pass safety in, say, Alberta, wouldn't necessarily pass in MB.
shouldn't an issue with tooscoops...he wouldn't sell you a POS anyway.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2020, 02:14:30 pm »
I haven't had a safety done in eons...but isn't it a lot of horsepoop and cat barf anyway?  Just find someone who's, uhm, creative!

When they first started doing safeties in MB, I was selling a car, and it failed because the visors didn't clip.  I was young, and dumbfounded...and went back after looking at it and had to tell them, uh, duh! It doesn't HAVE clips! Never came with them!  They are supposed to just float there like that!

Meanwhile...the leaking gas tank went unnoticed.  ::)  So much for "safety" L'dMAO.

Maybe they've gotten better.

I'm waiting for Bubba to buy some rust free old POS LeBaron convertible or something from AZ and drive it home.  ;D  Maybe we should go with him.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 03:26:47 pm »
I haven't had a safety done in eons...but isn't it a lot of horsepoop and cat barf anyway?  Just find someone who's, uhm, creative!

When they first started doing safeties in MB, I was selling a car, and it failed because the visors didn't clip.  I was young, and dumbfounded...and went back after looking at it and had to tell them, uh, duh! It doesn't HAVE clips! Never came with them!  They are supposed to just float there like that!

Meanwhile...the leaking gas tank went unnoticed.  ::)  So much for "safety" L'dMAO.

I'm waiting for Bubba to buy some rust free old POS LeBaron convertible or something from AZ and drive it home.  ;D  Maybe we should go with him.

??? There is no mandatory safety inspection in Manitoba? Every 2 years here in N.S.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 03:27:12 pm »

That’s how I bought the Mini Countryman phev...the ONLY downside is how f long CRA takes to process the PST part of the HST I had to pay in Ontario - it’s :censor: ridiculous...8 months and my check was mailed a few days ago!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 03:27:27 pm »

??? There is no mandatory safety inspection in Manitoba? Every 2 years here in N.S.

Only when a vehicle transfers ownership.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 03:35:46 pm »

Must be a lot of  junk still on the road then.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 03:37:28 pm »

Must be a lot of  junk still on the road then.

Yes, there is.  But hey, when you want to sell your otherwise perfect late model vehicle, you gotta make sure that chip in the windshield gets fixed!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 04:45:17 pm »
53000kms... so not a baby. it'll still work, but I won't sell it like it is. I think it's a little of column a and a little of column b... i'll send it to VW to see if I get lucky and anything is covered under warranty... maybe the flywheel has an issue or something.

almost an all black dodge ram! a grey rebel.

here is the golf... https://www.grimsbychrysler.ca/used/Volkswagen/2018-Volkswagen-Golf+R-973ac4b80a0e0a6b4da79abd28c6092c.htm
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 04:50:42 pm »

here is the golf... https://www.grimsbychrysler.ca/used/Volkswagen/2018-Volkswagen-Golf+R-973ac4b80a0e0a6b4da79abd28c6092c.htm

Previous owner must have been thrashing that car, because 54 000kms on a 2018 indicates to me that it's all highway kms, and you shouldn't need to use the clutch much on the highway. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2020, 04:57:41 pm »
plus, I was high on kms.. just over 50k.

sorry to have thread jacked this!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 05:22:13 pm »

Previous owner must have been thrashing that car, because 54 000kms on a 2018 indicates to me that it's all highway kms, and you shouldn't need to use the clutch much on the highway.

Or....the clutch is a turd..as Cadure points out.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 10:56:54 pm »

Beautiful!!!! What a change...!