Author Topic: Replacing 2002 CRV with?  (Read 31989 times)

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing 2002 CRV with?
« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2020, 12:32:35 am »
Comfortline gets you a decent amount of content for the price. You can also get the driver assistance features as an option (forward collision, adaptive cruise, blind spot warning). Easiest way to tell is to look for the blind spot symbol in the mirrors.

Also, just so you know Hertz uses the base model Golf wagons with 4Motion/DSG as rentals. I realize not everyone would consider buying an ex-rental but given current economic situation, I have seen some examples with less that 40k km going for under $20k.

Regarding maintenance costs, after warranty is up they will be quite a bit less if you go to an indy shop rather than going to the dealer. Just as an example, my sister recently had her 2016 Golf serviced (oil change, brake flush, tire rotation and general inspection). Dealer wanted close to $400 for the work. Indy shop only charged her $260 and that included using the correct VW spec synthetic oil.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:39:35 am by marcus_go »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2020, 09:25:10 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone. We did test drive one yesterday. My notes:

Test drove a Comfortline FWD, quite liked it. Had the active safety package with just enough features (blind spot, auto braking, active cruise), nice cloth interior, good visibility, nice solid drive, carplay.

However came back and it turned out they didn’t actually have the AWD, surprising both us and the salesman. Lots of the mid grade Highline versions, but no Comfortline (non sunroof, which avoids a big potential issue). Disappointed as we had mentally settled on buying it

Should add the interior was simple, but a definite step up from the Tiguan we rented last fall. Maybe from an earlier generation of VW design

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2020, 09:53:12 am »

Test drove a Comfortline FWD, quite liked it. Had the active safety package with just enough features (blind spot, auto braking, active cruise), nice cloth interior, good visibility, nice solid drive, carplay.

However came back and it turned out they didn’t actually have the AWD, surprising both us and the salesman. Lots of the mid grade Highline versions, but no Comfortline (non sunroof, which avoids a big potential issue). Disappointed as we had mentally settled on buying it

Should add the interior was simple, but a definite step up from the Tiguan we rented last fall. Maybe from an earlier generation of VW design
Did you ask if they can find a Comfortline AWD model for you?  With all the wagons being 2019 I'd be willing to bet they are running low on supply.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2020, 10:03:26 am »
Or any CPO options in your area?

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2020, 10:21:42 am »
However came back and it turned out they didn’t actually have the AWD, surprising both us and the salesman. Lots of the mid grade Highline versions, but no Comfortline

Can see why.  Giving them away.  Begs the question; why does VW even offer the 2wd versions for the Canadian market ???  Savings are less than 2k but you're stuck with a lesser motor and tranny.  Too many versions of the same vehicle.  Inventory nightmare.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2020, 11:05:06 am »

What did you think of the 1.4T and 8 speed?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2020, 11:16:59 am »

Also states that spark plugs are included "if needed" ???  Why would you need a spark plug under 60K km?  Are they prone to fouling.  Why would they list that?  Is that a warning sign with these engines?

The maintenance schedule on the previous Jetta with the N/A engines listed new plugs at 60k km. Maybe there's still some model in the lineup that does as well, or maybe they just haven't updated the language in a few years.

But that's how I read it: spark plugs included if your model requires it.

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2020, 11:18:26 am »
However came back and it turned out they didn’t actually have the AWD, surprising both us and the salesman. Lots of the mid grade Highline versions, but no Comfortline

Can see why.  Giving them away.  Begs the question; why does VW even offer the 2wd versions for the Canadian market ???  Savings are less than 2k but you're stuck with a lesser motor and tranny.  Too many versions of the same vehicle.  Inventory nightmare.

I know someone who has a 1.4T FWD Wagon and loves the fuel efficiency. The 1.4T is more fuel efficient than the 1.8T. Also, no DSG service.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2020, 11:20:11 am »

Imho, active cruise is a nice to have if you drive quite often on highway, way more relax when you don't have to set or resume cruise all the time...
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2020, 01:34:47 pm »

Good. We thought we were driving the 1.8T/DCT mind you, until we got out and saw it was missing the 4Motion badge on the back

Felt like the car had jam, but not the 'diesely' noisy/grunty feel I remember from the the CRV and the Tiguan. Not the gigglefest the V6 in the Passport is, but not bad

Transmission seemed to shift just fine

The new FWD was listed at 21,700. Even with the additional 1200 they wanted to add for block heater/mats/etc it seemed a smokin deal

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2020, 01:40:35 pm »
Comfortline gets you a decent amount of content for the price. You can also get the driver assistance features as an option (forward collision, adaptive cruise, blind spot warning). Easiest way to tell is to look for the blind spot symbol in the mirrors.

Also, just so you know Hertz uses the base model Golf wagons with 4Motion/DSG as rentals. I realize not everyone would consider buying an ex-rental but given current economic situation, I have seen some examples with less that 40k km going for under $20k.

Regarding maintenance costs, after warranty is up they will be quite a bit less if you go to an indy shop rather than going to the dealer. Just as an example, my sister recently had her 2016 Golf serviced (oil change, brake flush, tire rotation and general inspection). Dealer wanted close to $400 for the work. Indy shop only charged her $260 and that included using the correct VW spec synthetic oil.

Thanks. Yeah, there's a couple indicators on the left of the steering wheel too. One square box type thing that brings up what is enabled and another that allows you to set the adaptive cruise distance

The thing with buying used (other than taking a chance on the condition) is then you are on the hook for all the maintenance costs for the warranty period. Sounds like DSG/Haldex/engine oil changes etc add up. There's even a brake fluid change in there.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2020, 02:22:54 pm »

Good. We thought we were driving the 1.8T/DCT mind you, until we got out and saw it was missing the 4Motion badge on the back

Felt like the car had jam, but not the 'diesely' noisy/grunty feel I remember from the the CRV and the Tiguan. Not the gigglefest the V6 in the Passport is, but not bad

The new FWD was listed at 21,700. Even with the additional 1200 they wanted to add for block heater/mats/etc it seemed a smokin deal

Yeah, screaming deal. I keep building these on the website, just for fun.

With the $4,000 cash discount, even the AWD Comfortline with the stick (which is how I’d want mine) is only $21,900. Even with freight and all the taxes, you’re still below $25k. And that’s just MSRP. Kinda makes me wish I needed a new car right now.  :-\

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2020, 06:37:36 pm »

Yeah, screaming deal. I keep building these on the website, just for fun.

With the $4,000 cash discount, even the AWD Comfortline with the stick (which is how I’d want mine) is only $21,900. Even with freight and all the taxes, you’re still below $25k. And that’s just MSRP. Kinda makes me wish I needed a new car right now.  :-\

Didn't realize there was $4000 off. That is a really good deal for an AWD wagon that offers more room than many comparably priced sub-compact CUVs.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2020, 09:47:28 pm »
The one we tried, still covered in plastic:

Even the lowest trim is quite presentable

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2020, 09:53:27 pm »
I still like the efficiency of the design, usable space vs overall size of this little wagon  8)

Was it FWD or AWD?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:55:19 pm by me_2 »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2020, 10:53:54 pm »
We were looking for an AWD but the demo was a FWD. Nice drive

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2020, 12:43:49 pm »
Another test drive last night, put a deposit down. Hopefully we have ourselves a vehicle finally

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2020, 12:48:34 pm »
Another test drive last night, put a deposit down. Hopefully we have ourselves a vehicle finally

Show'n Shine coming soon  ;D ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2020, 12:52:03 pm »
It's dependent on the dealer getting a few things done, so we'll see

After all this time I'll believe it when I see it in the driveway!

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2020, 12:59:50 pm »
It's dependent on the dealer getting a few things done, so we'll see

After all this time I'll believe it when I see it in the driveway!

I understand. Still in line with the AWD ? https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=99205.msg1507574#msg1507574