Author Topic: Car sales down , truck & SUV up  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Car sales down , truck & SUV up
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 08:15:11 am »
We are experiencing the death of the sedan - the same way Americans killed wagons and hatchbacks. I'd expect a SUV dominance in 5y with auto companies churning away investment from other body styles.

Same trend is following in Europe, but in a smaller scale for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:07:39 am »
Thats the sad part....I really like luxo barges like the Genesis and the Lexus LS series and I am saddened that I will not be able to live out my old age clogging the fast lane of Florida in one at 20mph under the limit  :'( :'(
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 10:36:16 am »
We are experiencing the death of the sedan - the same way Americans killed wagons and hatchbacks. I'd expect a SUV dominance in 5y with auto companies churning away investment from other body styles.

Same trend is following in Europe, but in a smaller scale for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funny thing is, all these "SUV"s are now getting smaller and smaller, becoming essentially a slightly taller wagons.

MB GLC is shorter in height than Honda's CRV.  alot of the CUVs just have elongated cabin height-wise, but is not really any higher than most sedans.  maybe half inch to an inch?

basically, they are just calling hatchbacks or wagons with liftkits an SUV and they sell boatloads!!! (Mazda CX3 anyone?  Subaru Outback?  Subaru Crosstrack? Audi Allroads?  VW alltrack?)   

oneday, it will be so low as to be indistinguishable from regular sedans... and sedans will be back in fashion again.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 12:01:58 pm »
Old farts don't bend, so they want a taller car. It ends up being a styling trend.

Cars from the 1940s and early 1950s were as tall as CUVs are today

The 1950s were the start of "longer, lower wider" which petered out by the 1980s.

CUVs/SUVs are just reverting to the older form factor.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken