Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Mazda CX-3 GT  (Read 1910 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2017 Mazda CX-3 GT
« on: June 27, 2017, 06:44:38 am »
Easy to like.
Read more...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Mazda CX-3 GT
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:35:52 am »
You can fit three across the back seat, which has 60/40 split folding capability.

Three what?  Adults? Bwaaaa-ha-ha.  :rofl2:  No.  >:(

My wife and I shopped it an both loved it- style, driving dynamics, interior quality - all top notch.  But back seat room?  C'mon.  It's almost +2 tight.  We could not get comfortable seated 'behind ourselves'.  And the notion of adding a third anything between us would have been pretty laughable.  If we were empty-nesters, or DINKs, it would probably be in our driveway.  But it came up woefully short for our car-pooling reality.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 10:50:59 am »
The CX-3 was on our short list when looking for a small CUV/SUV. 
Two things that were very important to my wife was the size (she thought my Ford Ranger was too big to drive) and viability.  She liked the CX-3's size but really didn't like the lack of viability out the back.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:14:31 pm »
You can fit three across the back seat, which has 60/40 split folding capability.

My wife and I shopped it an both loved it- style, driving dynamics, interior quality - all top notch.  But back seat room?  C'mon.  It's almost +2 tight.  We could not get comfortable seated 'behind ourselves'.  And the notion of adding a third anything between us would have been pretty laughable.  If we were empty-nesters, or DINKs, it would probably be in our driveway.  But it came up woefully short for our car-pooling reality.

I think he meant cats...3 cats across the back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 01:16:49 pm »

Then I stand corrected.  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:20:50 pm »
But back seat room?  C'mon.  It's almost +2 tight.  We could not get comfortable seated 'behind ourselves'.  And the notion of adding a third anything between us would have been pretty laughable.
I don't know if I totally agree with that...the wife and I have several times ridden long-distances in the back of the in-laws' CX-3.  My father-in-law is 6'2" and I have no difficulty at 5'8 sitting behind him.  Granted, I'm not the tallest one out there, but my mother-in-law also doesn't have to move her seat forward so that my wife can sit behind her.  It's plenty spacious for 4, though the ingress is a little bit more difficult than it should be.

I do agree that a third person in the back would be very squishy, and not in a good way.

The only real miss in the interior is the lack of a centre armrest (there’s a pair of cupholders there instead), and it’s also worth noting that the CX-3’s pleasing exterior style comes at the cost of somewhat restricted outward visibility, especially rearward.
:iagree:

Another gotcha is the lack of retained accessory power: it’s bad enough that your music shuts off when you stop the CX-3’s engine, but I didn’t expect it to cut my Bluetooth phone connection mid-sentence.
Interesting.  My 2010 Mazda 3 has retained power (granted, with the GX I don't have Bluetooth to test same - but the charger continues to work even with the key removed and driver's door opened - literally never turns off), but yes, GM does it best when it comes to retained accessory power - only cuts the power when the driver's door is opened - I hate how Lexus cuts the power as soon as ANY door is opened (so if my wife opens the passenger door before the moonroof is closed, for example, it'll stop mid-way and I have to turn the car back to "on" (not the engine) just to close it fully).

GT models include AWD as standard, but with fine weather for the duration of my test drive I didn’t get a chance to test it out.
When the in-laws snow-birded last year, I drove their CX-3 around on Xi3s in some gnarly snow.  It was fantastic and didn't struggle anywhere.  Crazy-fun-happy-turns were difficult because traction was so aplenty.  Coming from a Forester, I would not be left wanting for traction in a Mazda AWD product.

I left my test car in normal mode most of the time, netting me an impressive mixed-driving fuel consumption of 7.3 L/100 km over the week (my worst economy was 13.6 L/100km during some exclusively city driving in Sport mode). Official fuel consumption figures for the CX-3 are 8.8 / 7.5 L/100km city/hwy, and my test car was showing a long term average of 8.8 L/100 km on its trip computer when I picked it up.
Seems about right...I didn't find it to be hella fuel efficient, but it is fairly decent.

My only real beefs with the car are the horrid outward visibility and the lack of the driver's armrest.  The HUD is amazing, by the way.  Not the nicest out there, but it works very well.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 01:30:26 pm »
My 3 has retained accessory power in the glove compartment and on/off on the centre console. So I use the centre console one to power a dash cam and a Bluetooth accessory I have and the glove compartment to charge my phone.

Is there a way with push button start to turn the engine off without turning accessories off?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 01:41:09 pm »
My 3 has retained accessory power in the glove compartment and on/off on the centre console. So I use the centre console one to power a dash cam and a Bluetooth accessory I have and the glove compartment to charge my phone.

Is there a way with push button start to turn the engine off without turning accessories off?
I do the same thing, albeit I don't use the centre console one for anything (I don't have a dashcam, though I would love one).

The centre box (glove compartment) power is where I charge my phone, too, but I just leave the thing plugged in all the time (even if my cellphone is not plugged in).  Hopefully it doesn't harm the battery too much - the only thing powered, technically, is a little white LED on the 12V USB adapter.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 10:54:06 pm »

Then I stand corrected.  ;D

Three cads. Then I stand corrupted....
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.