Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring w/Tech Package  (Read 17840 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Enchanted Forester
Read more...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring w/Tech Package
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:05:39 am »
Uh-Oh...Peter rated Quality and Powertrain as 7's.   Prepare to face the wrath of No-San....!!!!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:15:27 am »
Uh-Oh...Peter rated Quality and Powertrain as 7's.   Prepare to face the wrath of No-San....!!!!
7 seems fair... It's the 2.5i.  had it been the XT, Peter and I may have had to share words. ;D

Pretty sweet that PZEV is now standard...I doubt anyone cares, but it's a decent step forward.

The Bad

Some cheap interior plastics
No Android Auto or Apple CarPlay
No sex symbol
What about the sexy Sumo campaign?!  :P

At least Android/Apple are coming to the 2018s, but yeah, slow rollout is crappy, especially if older systems can't be retrofitted.

From my perspective, the new quiet is a revelation.  Ours is so fricken loud (less so than the Mazda 3 mind you...), and a quieter experience would be welcome.

The wife's bestie and her boo wanted a Ridgeline but didn't want to spend three money for one.  They then selected the Forester, but would only go XT - for a limited without eyesight, it came to $45k OTR and they're now considering the CRV, which comes in loaded at $42k.

Turns out this tester was on the floor at the Toronto auto show, so who knows what abuse it endured.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:18:18 am by No-san »

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:11:47 am »
Not so perfect Forester AWD?

https://youtu.be/PUXCKaR9ZUo

What is up with partial zero emission vehicle(PZEV) when the fuel system is completely sealed?  Is it truly sealed or is it 100% partial?! More marketing goop?

Oil burn much anymore?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 11:19:34 am »

What is up with partial zero emission vehicle(PZEV) when the fuel system is completely sealed?  Is it truly sealed or is it 100% partial?! More marketing goop?

Oil burn much anymore?
:stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu: :stfu:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:23:00 am by No-san »

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 11:22:59 am »
Three obvious initial problems (how many hidden others?), somewhat plasticy interior, 2.5 boxer oil burner, no state of the art music interface, profile of Explorer from 2 gens ago.   No thanks!

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 11:33:31 am »

Oil burn much anymore?

We are approaching a year of ownership with our 17 Forester and I can say it has been absolutely trouble free in every respect.  Plus, after having gone through a legit northern BC winter (not this so called winter they get in Vancouver ;)), I can say it performs flawlessly in the worst winter conditions (we're talking huge snow dumps, freezing rain, black ice, sluch, ect....).  That said, I am a true northerner and put proper studded winter tires on the Forrester and I will acknowledge that makes a HUGE difference in any car let alone an AWD car.  The oil burning myths - they are just that, myths in my experience.  I've had the Impreza for almost 10 years and now the Forester for almost one year and both have been a great ownership experiences. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 11:36:53 am »
I've had the Impreza for almost 10 years and now the Forester for almost one year and both have been a great ownership experiences.
NormT makes it his duty to bash Subarus while shamelessly highlighting GM vehicles.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:40:27 am »

Oil burn much anymore?

We are approaching a year of ownership with our 17 Forester and I can say it has been absolutely trouble free in every respect.  Plus, after having gone through a legit northern BC winter (not this so called winter they get in Vancouver ;)), I can say it performs flawlessly in the worst winter conditions (we're talking huge snow dumps, freezing rain, black ice, sluch, ect....).  That said, I am a true northerner and put proper studded winter tires on the Forrester and I will acknowledge that makes a HUGE difference in any car let alone an AWD car.  The oil burning myths - they are just that, myths in my experience.  I've had the Impreza for almost 10 years and now the Forester for almost one year and both have been a great ownership experiences.

One year of ownership from new isn't exactly a benchmark for long term reliability.  If you tell me you've had zero problems on your 10 year old Impreza, then I'll take that as a much bigger indication of long term reliability.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 11:45:54 am »
  If you tell me you've had zero problems on your 10 year old Impreza, then I'll take that as a much bigger indication of long term reliability.

I've had zero problems over 10 years of ownership with my Impreza. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:53:51 am »
I love Subaru.  We've had a handful of Subarus and our current ancient Forester takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

That said, I think I'm too old to put up with their quirks and the "roll the dice" on some major components.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 12:01:45 pm »

Oil burn much anymore?

The oil burning issue is not just imaginary however. This quote from Wheels.ca is very cautionary.

"Oil consumption by Subaru engines is so widespread, there are class-action lawsuits both in Canada and the U.S. The Canadian action involves owners of 2012-2013 Imprezas, as well as 2011-2014 Forester, 2013 Legacy, 2013 Outback, and 2013 XV Crosstrek models."

Full article with many scary stories here.The 2L engine (not on Forester) appears, if possible, to be even worse than the 2.5L.

http://www.wheels.ca/car-reviews/buying-used-2012-16-subaru-impreza/
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 01:16:40 pm »

Oil burn much anymore?

The oil burning issue is not just imaginary however. This quote from Wheels.ca is very cautionary.

"Oil consumption by Subaru engines is so widespread, there are class-action lawsuits both in Canada and the U.S. The Canadian action involves owners of 2012-2013 Imprezas, as well as 2011-2014 Forester, 2013 Legacy, 2013 Outback, and 2013 XV Crosstrek models."

Full article with many scary stories here.The 2L engine (not on Forester) appears, if possible, to be even worse than the 2.5L.

http://www.wheels.ca/car-reviews/buying-used-2012-16-subaru-impreza/

I am aware of these issues and don't dismiss them.  There are owners out there who have legit concerns unfortunately.  My own personal experience don't bare that out however and since the original thread/article is about the Forester that's what I was commenting about more specifically.

I have made this comment before on this forum and will again - If the Subaru reliability issues were as widespread and as concerning as people make them out to be why has Subaru increased both NA and global sales every single year for the past decade and steadily risen up most reputable agencies reliability ratings charts?    Surely if they made a bad product for so long the market would indicate this in some way? 

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 01:40:35 pm »
I've had the Impreza for almost 10 years and now the Forester for almost one year and both have been a great ownership experiences.
NormT makes it his duty to bash Subarus while shamelessly highlighting GM vehicles.

The then gf loved her Subaru's.  I didn't like it sucking down my synthetic oil reserves.  She is ending her lease (her car as she drives it most of the time ) on a 2015 GMC Terrain with Active Noise Cancelation.  Says it is the best car she has ever owned and doesn't want to turn it in as a new 2018 is not boxy and chiseled enough.  Happy wife, happy life!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 01:43:26 pm »
If the Subaru reliability issues were as widespread and as concerning as people make them out to be why has Subaru increased both NA and global sales every single year for the past decade and steadily risen up most reputable agencies reliability ratings charts?   

I get the sentiment,  but the exact same could be said for VW.  And they certainly don't get a pass with respect to reliability concerns.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 01:44:04 pm »

I have made this comment before on this forum and will again - If the Subaru reliability issues were as widespread and as concerning as people make them out to be why has Subaru increased both NA and global sales every single year for the past decade and steadily risen up most reputable agencies reliability ratings charts?    Surely if they made a bad product for so long the market would indicate this in some way?

You don't spend any time on Subaru forums, do you?  Try to find an owner that hasn't had a head gasket issue if it's got over 200K - rare.  But, people write "well, I guess that's not too bad, it lasted 200K!"  And they also like the rest of the car enough to invest in the head gasket.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 04:56:44 pm »
and yet, his smite count is only 17?...how is that possible?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:59:00 pm by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 07:46:11 pm »
I went to Consumer Reports, and the Forester has "worst" or second to worst rating for reliability in the engine category for every year 2001 to 2009.  2010 is second from the best, then 2011 and 2012 and back in the basement.

Huh.

This is a long standing issue with Subaru.  if it's not head gaskets, it's turbos or piston rings.  I really like the company and I love their AWD system and I find their products interesting and quirky in a good way, but the reality is that for long term ownership, Subaru isn't on par with Honda or Toyota.  I had high hopes for the 2009 Gen 2 Forester, but nope, owners of the 09s are now getting big engine repair bills as they get to, or exceed 200K.   >:(

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 08:06:25 pm »
I'd buy a Scoob ahead of most German models.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 08:36:26 pm »
Just get a used RX