Author Topic: Road Trip: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve  (Read 2727 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Road Trip: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve
« on: June 16, 2017, 06:46:15 am »
Alright, alright, alright
Read more...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Road Trip: 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:29:37 am »
i don't mind the exterior looks, but that middle console looks cheap...i'd give it a pass on a $25k car, but that doesn't look right for a $62k car.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 08:17:52 am »
^ I agree!  My 2003 Lincoln LS-V8 was a great car to drive and very comfortable, but the low rent dash design and material quality was just not up to par in comparison to other premium sedans of the time. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 09:36:29 am »
Perhaps look-wise, I agree, but the writer noted that:

This car is hurt more by poor headroom and a slightly small trunk than by anything regarding the interior. The interior appointments, build quality, and that amazing audio system justify the price.

Remember that Evan drives many a press car and is in a good position to make such comments...I'll take his word for it.

I must also applaud a wonderful article, chronicling a road trip I'd love to do with my wife some day.  We live in a beautiful country and most of us see too little of it while we travel to more 'exotic' places for the sake of same.  The car really can make or break the trip, and it seems like this one was a decent companion for the trek.  I'd have liked to see the overall fuel usage during your trip, but recognize that the point was where you appreciated EV-mode driving, a sentiment that I would agree with.

Even at $45,000, I feel like there are some very decent competitors out there, but Lincoln does build a nice interior in terms of comfort and features.  Having the hybrid as a "no-cost" option is a really good plan, too.

:thumbup:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:06:40 am »
Perhaps look-wise, I agree, but the writer noted that:

This car is hurt more by poor headroom and a slightly small trunk than by anything regarding the interior. The interior appointments, build quality, and that amazing audio system justify the price.

Remember that Evan drives many a press car and is in a good position to make such comments...I'll take his word for it.

I must also applaud a wonderful article, chronicling a road trip I'd love to do with my wife some day. We live in a beautiful country and most of us see too little of it while we travel to more 'exotic' places for the sake of same.  The car really can make or break the trip, and it seems like this one was a decent companion for the trek.  I'd have liked to see the overall fuel usage during your trip, but recognize that the point was where you appreciated EV-mode driving, a sentiment that I would agree with.

Even at $45,000, I feel like there are some very decent competitors out there, but Lincoln does build a nice interior in terms of comfort and features.  Having the hybrid as a "no-cost" option is a really good plan, too.

:thumbup:

Do it! You won't be disappointed!  My wife and i have been going there for years now and it never gets old.  Likely go there again this year. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 11:53:37 am »
What I'd like to do is keep these road trips for times when we can only travel during our summertime, and certain ones also when we have younger kids who will appreciate the pretty sights.

I don't think we'll have much more than a week at a time for the next 4 years, which may make a 14+ hour drive difficult since most of our "vacation" would be spent in the car (not my wife's favourite thing to do); that said, I am definitely looking at options, including flying out somewhere like NS and then renting a car to do the road trip.  We do that a lot, including in California.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 12:01:27 pm »
What I'd like to do is keep these road trips for times when we can only travel during our summertime, and certain ones also when we have younger kids who will appreciate the pretty sights.

I don't think we'll have much more than a week at a time for the next 4 years, which may make a 14+ hour drive difficult since most of our "vacation" would be spent in the car (not my wife's favourite thing to do); that said, I am definitely looking at options, including flying out somewhere like NS and then renting a car to do the road trip.  We do that a lot, including in California.

Better idea!  Fly to NB, spend a day at Shane's Brewery, then rent a car and do the Fundy coast on the NB side, or take the short ferry ride across the Bay to NS.  Once the Fundy Trail Parkway is completed here it will be amazing! 

http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/

Shameless NB tourism promoter here!   ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 12:21:42 pm »
I think they should bring back the Mark IV...portholes and all. That would give GM an opportunity to bring back the Eldo.   Get some real Amurrican veHicles back on the roads.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 12:59:22 pm »
I think they should bring back the Mark IV...portholes and all. That would give GM an opportunity to bring back the Eldo.   Get some real Amurrican veHicles back on the roads.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just surprised to hear it from you.   :o

I agree. Cars are getting so homogeneous. It used to be that it was obvious where a car came from, and people gravitated to their preference. Now, the badges are more or less the only distinguishing feature.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 01:13:05 pm »
Better idea!  Fly to NB, spend a day at Shane's Brewery, then rent a car and do the Fundy coast on the NB side, or take the short ferry ride across the Bay to NS.  Once the Fundy Trail Parkway is completed here it will be amazing! 

http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/

Shameless NB tourism promoter here!   ;D
Funny you say that...depending on when Shane actually opens, we may do just that.  The wife can't do later in the month though, so Shane better get his butt in gear ;D

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 01:15:10 am »
Just so everyone is clear, including the author, Brier Island is in SOUTHwestern Nova Scotia, not northwestern. Grew up in Digby, used to spend summers on Long Island. Been around the world, still find the Annapolis Valley the nicest place - my brother just returned from 40 years in BC in the Okanagan, a place where there are no roads for fun, just north/south and busy.

There are other roads paralleling the main highway almost all the way from Halifax to Annapolis Royal and thence to Digby. Some places there are a choice of three. Those roads are where you can drive at 90 to 100 klicks on real old country roads and revel in having a decent car under you. Curves, blind corners, steep little hills, almost no trafffic. On a nice day, bliss. On a wet day, concentration. In winter in a storm, well, well. Once did Wolfville to Digby, 90 miles in 8 hours back in the 1960s. Yes it was an adventure in a Beetle with no decent heat to demist that windshield in a snowstorm. But we were young.

Navigation? Hard to get lost, nowhere in Nova Scotia is more than 25 miles from the coast. Use a tourist map, who needs fancy electronic doo-dads for a trip down the Valley except namby-pambies?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 01:42:56 am »
This car is underpowered and a SLOW passer.  The massaging seats are great.  Certainly time consuming to set, but it's a complex seat.  If used often, can't see them lasting that long.  Might put some ppl to sleep at the wheel.  :rofl2:

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 08:52:36 am »
This car is underpowered and a SLOW passer.  The massaging seats are great.  Certainly time consuming to set, but it's a complex seat.  If used often, can't see them lasting that long.  Might put some ppl to sleep at the wheel.  :rofl2:

Performance is in line with others in this class...if you want fast, you can have the Ecoboost 4.0 with 400hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 01:44:35 pm »

Done deal!

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 10:36:52 pm »

Performance is in line with others in this class...if you want fast, you can have the Ecoboost 4.0 with 400hp.

Camry Hybrid will blow it away.  This featured vehicle is a DOG and has the same powertrain as the little jobbie that no one buys.  Forget it's name .... competes with the Prius.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 11:55:41 pm »
This featured vehicle is a DOG and has the same powertrain as the little jobbie that no one buys.  Forget it's name .... competes with the Prius.
C-Max?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 12:01:44 am »

Camry Hybrid will blow it away.  This featured vehicle is a DOG and has the same powertrain as the little jobbie that no one buys.  Forget it's name .... competes with the Prius.

Oh wow ur totally right! I was thinking bout performance numbers for the 2.5 engine but looks like this uses a new-old engine! Terrible investment....I'd buy an ES hybrid

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 12:16:13 am »
This featured vehicle is a DOG and has the same powertrain as the little jobbie that no one buys.  Forget it's name .... competes with the Prius.
C-Max?

That's the one.  I have never seen one on the road.  Hyundai has a new similar sized unit that will finish the C-Max off.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:18:33 am by ArticSteve »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 12:28:28 am »
C-Max?

That's the one.  I have never seen one on the road.  Hyundai has a new similar sized unit that will finish the C-Max off.
Ioniq?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 12:52:35 am »
Yes, the Hybrid version.  Then later comes a Hybrid plug in similar to the Prius Prime.  Looks like a Toyota and Hyundai battle forming.  ;D