Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Nissan Versa Note SV  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Nissan Versa Note SV
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 12:35:09 pm »
   "There is no phone attached to the system....do you want to add a phone?...yes or no"

After three years I did not know that I had that...touched by accident. It did not respond to "what the bl**dy hell!!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:38:54 am by Rupert »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 01:28:33 pm »
Yup.  MOST people use one vehicle as their daily most of the time.  You get used to the layout of the buttons.  My Grand Caravan (DGC) has the same button layout as your JGC.  Didn't take me long to get used to.

Heck, why even bother labelling the buttons at the front then?  You'll learn them, and figure it out.  The Entourage only has volume up and down, for radio controls, maybe they shouldn't have labelled them.  I would have figured them out. 

I think a comprise would be to only have two buttons on the back of the steering wheel,  like volume. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 07:34:12 pm »
The Odyssey got a knob too. I very very very rarely use the knob anymore though, I love my steering wheel controls. Having to take my hand off the steering wheel to reach for a volume control on the dash feels like distracted driving.

On the note of distracted driving, I remember using my rental 2016 Corolla's touchscreen and thought to myself man this is totally distracted driving, but it's legal.

I don't like the audio buttons on the steering wheel of the GC.  They are behind the steering wheel, not labelled.  The volume buttons, the seek, and I think the AM/FM.  And since I move from 3 vehicles all week, I can't remember which button does what.  So I just use the regular buttons.
If you don't know what they do they're not great, but once you get used to them (about half hour of sitting in your driveway playing) you'll grow to appreciate them a lot and the reduced clutter they provide.

I had them in the Fiat, totally despise that set up! Much rather have my button in the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 08:46:33 pm »
I'm a channel surfer when I'm on short drives.  I'm really loving the ">>" button on my steering wheel, to skip to my next favourite station.  Also works with my iPod for the next song.  Mine are at the front, right where my left thumb sits.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 08:48:50 pm »
I'm a channel surfer when I'm on short drives.  I'm really loving the ">>" button on my steering wheel, to skip to my next favourite station.  Also works with my iPod for the next song.  Mine are at the front, right where my left thumb sits.

That's all I do is short drives.  This tank of gas, that's about 10 days old, 56km! Barely listen to more than one song. 

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 07:43:17 am »
"At Nissan all our innovations are factory-approved' intones the TV announcer in glib terms.

Well, thank goodness for that! Wouldn't want Nissan corporate to tell the darn factory what to do, now would we? So the factory approves Nissan innovation instead. Hey, how to get it backwards.

This is the kind of total hooey we get fed these days, Still, as most commenters here haven't a clue when to use "it's" instead of "its", and prefer the British grocer's plural, like "innovation's", perhaps the Nissan ad agency is not overestimating the intelligence of the general populace.

As for me, I stay as far away as I can from these tin-can blobs of mediocrity, sold on cheap payment plans to the unwary, while possessing not the slightest automotive virtue other than the fact they move when the accelerator is prodded. So did a 1920 Chev.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 01:28:03 pm »
i'm super used to the FCA radio buttons, so i'm biased... but i love them. hate the look of these new cluttered steering wheels also, plus, you have to remove your hand from holding the wheel to press (most) of the buttons on the front... defeats the purpose of having them on the wheel!

here is how they are set up on the back: left side top ^ - seek up             right side top ^ - vol. up
                                                            " " middle  o - next preset         "  "   middle  o - mode
                                                            " " bottom  v - seek down          "  "   bottom v - vol. down
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 01:31:22 pm »
The buttons on my Mazda 3 and Sienna are accessible by thumb when my hands are in the 9 and 3 o'clock position. And they do not recommend 10 and 2 anymore on airbag equipped cars. 9 and 3 is safer, 8 and 4 safest.

Not discrediting the behind the steering wheel buttons. I've rented a Fiat 500 twice and found them intuitive. Just putting a stop to some generalizations.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 02:17:17 pm »
And they do not recommend 10 and 2 anymore on airbag equipped cars. 9 and 3 is safer, 8 and 4 safest.
LOL, it's funny you mention that...my mother mentioned that exact same thing when we were out test driving cars the last couple of days...i otherwise hadn't heard it (but it makes sense)...doesn't really affect me anyway as i don't find 10 and 2 to be very comfortable when driving that long since you're basically holding your arms up in an unnatural position.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 02:32:06 pm »
The buttons on my Mazda 3 and Sienna are accessible by thumb when my hands are in the 9 and 3 o'clock position. And they do not recommend 10 and 2 anymore on airbag equipped cars. 9 and 3 is safer, 8 and 4 safest.

Not discrediting the behind the steering wheel buttons. I've rented a Fiat 500 twice and found them intuitive. Just putting a stop to some generalizations.

oh yeah, not trying to say they are impossible or anything... i would think i probably am behind the wheel of even more cars than the reviewers here (though admittedly, not all the awesome ones they get)... but today i was in a mazda 5, an equinox, a durango, a cube, a tucson and a 320i... some are easier to use than others at first, but i'm sure all of them will eventually become second nature.