Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Nissan Micra SV AT  (Read 5927 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2017 Nissan Micra SV AT
« on: June 06, 2017, 06:44:09 am »
Hipster cachet
Read more...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Nissan Micra SV AT
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 08:58:36 am »
While driving the Micra, I managed to beat a congealing traffic jam on the way home one day, by converting a single lane into two beside a Mercedes-Benz GLS.
... Yeah, Lane sharing isn't legal in Ontario, nor safe.

The Micra doesn't represent anything positive to me. It's a great starter car for teens, right?  Except it's safety factor is shyte in absolute terms and as quoted, it lacks the space inside to assist with the frequent moving university students endure.

The base model has its appeals, but it's a penalty box. Moving up a single trim is, as noted, a 50% increase.

I'd never recommend this car to anyone.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12382
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:02:52 am »
While driving the Micra, I managed to beat a congealing traffic jam on the way home one day, by converting a single lane into two beside a Mercedes-Benz GLS.
... Yeah, Lane sharing isn't legal in Ontario, nor safe.

The Micra doesn't represent anything positive to me. It's a great starter car for teens, right?  Except it's safety factor is shyte in absolute terms and as quoted, it lacks the space inside to assist with the frequent moving university students endure.

The base model has its appeals, but it's a penalty box. Moving up a single trim is, as noted, a 50% increase.

I'd never recommend this car to anyone.

I already have one eye open for a first car for my daughter.  Purchase is probably still a couple years off, but sure as heck this won't be it.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 09:19:36 am »
for the love of god, but something else....anything else

imagine what you can get on the used market...

burn it with fire
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Robin2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Subaru WRX, 2011 Subaru WRX sedan, 1999 Subaru Impreza RS, 1992 Mazda 323
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 10:25:48 am »
in 1992, I bought a brand new mazda 323 hatchback.  2200lbs with 84hp / 5spd. 

loved it and couldn't kill it......  mostly original and near 300k / 11 years of ownership.  would it want one again?  no way.  clear death trap in today's standards with no modern convenience also let alone crank windows, no a/c, etc...

but this 1992 mazda is probably still better than this new Micra! 

A neighbor of mine as mitsu mirage and it's a piece of poo.  a year or 2 old and exhaust is already going on it.  making lots of noise and this is under warranty.

I'd never buy for my son a car in this range as I'd at least go with bigger car / civic or impreza.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:28:56 am »
I'd never consider the automatic, but the Micra is a nice little, basic car. And it cute as a button.

At this end of the range especially, the debate is always new car with warranty or a used car with likely an unknown history. A significant number will go with the new car.   
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 10:34:45 am »
I mean, I get it...used market means you're getting a used car - i.e. something not new with full warranty.

...that said, take a look at what you can get.  Lightly used cars (1 yr) with 20,000km or less, the bulk of the manufacturer's warranty, you can always get an extended warranty, and then you save a couple grand off the MSRP and you also save freight/PDI (another nearly $2,000 on most cars these days).

The only argument I can accept for this is the "city car" thing, but we're not in old Europe.  Perhaps Quebec City can appreciate the diminutive size, but Toronto is hardly "difficult" for a Corolla/Civic/Sentra/Elantra/Forte/Escalade/whatever to get around.  And if you live in a Condo, a Chevy Cruze hatch will give you more space for similar money, but in a much safer, newer design with far more feature content while still fitting nicely into small spots.  Look around your condo parking lot next time you're down there - does everyone drive a Smart, Mini, or Micra?  Nah - still filled with Lexus ES/Civics/Rogues, etc.  Nobody needs to downsize that much because they live in the city - and if you do live in the city and drive only so occasionally, then Car2Go and the like is still cheaper than paying $100+/month in insurance, the cost of the car, and then gas, etc.

...I really appreciated Jalopnik's review following the 2015 Corolla vs 1998 Corolla to show "how far" safety has come - solely because the focus of it was to on trying to avoid giving your kids sh!tty old cars because they're cheap.

I used to be all for buying teenagers total crap-heaps as their first cars. It builds character, after all. But then I watched this video of a 1998 Toyota Corolla crashing into a 2015 model, and now I think I’ve changed my mind.
http://jalopnik.com/this-crash-between-a-2015-and-a-1998-toyota-corolla-sho-1795220332

The writer also quoted ANCAP's CEO in saying:
It is unfortunate we tend to see our most at-risk drivers – the young and inexperienced, as well as the elderly and more frail – in the most at-risk vehicles, and we hope this test promotes a conversation to encourage all motorists to consider the safety of their car.

So, sure, a 2017 Nissan Micra might be better than a 1998 Corolla, but a 1998 Corolla also isn't $9,998, plus all applicable taxes and fees (ahem, freight/PDI included) - at least $15,000 OTR.  Hell, I'm not totally impressed with the 2015 Corolla's crash-test-worthiness there, but it's obviously much better than the 1998 (and rated as 5/5 by ANCAP, and a top safety pick+ from IIHS as of 2017).

The Nissan Micra hasn't been tested by the IIHS.  It has been tested by ANCAP (4/5 stars):
http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/nissan/micra/26835

From my perspective, the Micra represents an old-fashioned ideal of buying cheap for a cheap price for those who barely need their car to do anything.  A great ideal, but totally outdated in the world of car-sharing, a massive used-car market, and modern safety standards.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:49:34 am »
The first vehicles I drove were motorcycles. Safety ranks somewhere around the number of ashtrays.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 10:53:54 am »
The 2018 Accent looks really sharp.  I'd take a base version of that over a loaded Micra every single time.  And a $10k used car over a base Micra every single time.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 11:04:48 am »
    I have the SR automatic and find the power to be perfectly adequate. You make it sound as though it is absolutely in-adequate, which is entirely wrong and misleading for potentially interested parties. Acceleration is just fine and the four speed auto works exceedingly well. It is a small package...you have to want one...or look elsewhere, it is not your cup of tea. Safety is of course not as good as a larger car in an accident...small cars are all the same vis. a larger vehicle. Why comment on the obvious? Less crush able distance...there is no secret here...just simple science.

The thing is that the ride and handling are great in my experience and steering is very nice indeed. Fuel economy is also very noticeably...good. The bars on the gas gauge go away slowly. I love the rear drum brakes...no rusty discs if left on the driveway for a while and I suspect long lasting and requiring much less maintenance than discs. Hmm...three years old now.

For a small car I think most of it is elegantly conceived...don't compare the seat comfort and other things to a larger vehicle...there is not the room here for those. That being said, the seats are not bad at all. There are things that I don't care for...glove box is plenty large but if you contort yourself to reach in to the bottom you will shake hands with a bloke in Australia. The automatic version does not need a central large shifter...put it on the dash and put a larger storage box where the shifter is...for stuff you need en-route. Space needs to be used intelligently in small cars. So there are things that I don't like but power is certainly not one of them here. It's just fine.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 11:11:33 am »
I hope you are being sarcastic, your arguments only serving to highlight how terrible this car is...

I am sorry, there are no redeeming features of this machine. None. Not vs the competition, not vs a slightly used car, nothing.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 11:17:07 am »
Competition?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 11:17:26 am »
Like others have mentioned, I like the car but only in its basic trim with 3 pedals. An urban runabout you don't feel too bad about romping over the pavement holes in Montréal. Otherwise, Ford Fiesta.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 11:27:50 am »
    I have the SR automatic
So yours is $17,188 for the AT, plus $1,727 for "other fees" (freight/PDI/regional fees(?)).  Total is $18,915 pre-tax.

Your SR is $102 cheaper than a base Corolla sedan (MT), MSRP of $16,390.  On the build and price site, the Corolla price is currently $14,890, plus taxes, etc for an OTR price of $18,876.73, taxes in, pre-discount (if any) (discount is available even with 0% financing).  If you're good with a MT and no a/c, that's one helluva deal - certainly something one would consider reasonable for their kid.  Imagine what a year-old used version of that trim would go for...

Going automatic, and requiring air conditioning clearly ups the price - but even the Corolla LE CVT currently is $18,090 pre-tax, cheaper than the Micra SR.  Not an apples to apples comparison, but certainly undermines the "value" quotient of the Micra.

Safety is of course not as good as a larger car in an accident...small cars are all the same vis. a larger vehicle.
To quote Jacob, BWAAARRRP - WRONG!

Honda Fit
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/fit-4-door-wagon

Chevy Sonic
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/chevrolet/sonic-4-door-sedan

Toyota Boris (err, Yaris iA)
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/yaris-ia-4-door-sedan

Ford Fiesta
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/fiesta-4-door-hatchback

Hell, even if the Chevy Spark is pretty decent:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/chevrolet/spark-4-door-hatchback

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 12:01:21 pm »
I mean, I get it...used market means you're getting a used car - i.e. something not new with full warranty.

...that said, take a look at what you can get.  Lightly used cars (1 yr) with 20,000km or less, the bulk of the manufacturer's warranty, you can always get an extended warranty, and then you save a couple grand off the MSRP and you also save freight/PDI (another nearly $2,000 on most cars these days).

The only argument I can accept for this is the "city car" thing, but we're not in old Europe.  Perhaps Quebec City can appreciate the diminutive size, but Toronto is hardly "difficult" for a Corolla/Civic/Sentra/Elantra/Forte/Escalade/whatever to get around.  And if you live in a Condo, a Chevy Cruze hatch will give you more space for similar money, but in a much safer, newer design with far more feature content while still fitting nicely into small spots.  Look around your condo parking lot next time you're down there - does everyone drive a Smart, Mini, or Micra?  Nah - still filled with Lexus ES/Civics/Rogues, etc.  Nobody needs to downsize that much because they live in the city - and if you do live in the city and drive only so occasionally, then Car2Go and the like is still cheaper than paying $100+/month in insurance, the cost of the car, and then gas, etc.

...I really appreciated Jalopnik's review following the 2015 Corolla vs 1998 Corolla to show "how far" safety has come - solely because the focus of it was to on trying to avoid giving your kids sh!tty old cars because they're cheap.

I used to be all for buying teenagers total crap-heaps as their first cars. It builds character, after all. But then I watched this video of a 1998 Toyota Corolla crashing into a 2015 model, and now I think I’ve changed my mind.
http://jalopnik.com/this-crash-between-a-2015-and-a-1998-toyota-corolla-sho-1795220332

The writer also quoted ANCAP's CEO in saying:
It is unfortunate we tend to see our most at-risk drivers – the young and inexperienced, as well as the elderly and more frail – in the most at-risk vehicles, and we hope this test promotes a conversation to encourage all motorists to consider the safety of their car.

So, sure, a 2017 Nissan Micra might be better than a 1998 Corolla, but a 1998 Corolla also isn't $9,998, plus all applicable taxes and fees (ahem, freight/PDI included) - at least $15,000 OTR.  Hell, I'm not totally impressed with the 2015 Corolla's crash-test-worthiness there, but it's obviously much better than the 1998 (and rated as 5/5 by ANCAP, and a top safety pick+ from IIHS as of 2017).

The Nissan Micra hasn't been tested by the IIHS.  It has been tested by ANCAP (4/5 stars):
http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/nissan/micra/26835

From my perspective, the Micra represents an old-fashioned ideal of buying cheap for a cheap price for those who barely need their car to do anything.  A great ideal, but totally outdated in the world of car-sharing, a massive used-car market, and modern safety standards.

TL/DR: A newer vehicle is safer than a used vehicle therefore parents shouldn't consider a brand new Micra?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 12:08:42 pm »
Tried looking for a crash test video for the Nissan Micra and found the new redesigned model that the Europeans already have. It doesn't look so micro anymore. It actually looks good.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2119
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 12:22:31 pm »
Like others have mentioned, I like the car but only in its basic trim with 3 pedals. An urban runabout you don't feel too bad about romping over the pavement holes in Montréal. Otherwise, Ford Fiesta.

Yeah, this in a base model would be a great, cheap daily runabout. Start adding things to it, a lot better options start cropping up. Still need to stuff the Jukes turbo engine in this to make the ultimate hot hatch.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 12:45:02 pm »
end of cycle for this design...this should be coming soon:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 01:18:21 pm »
https://www.auto123.com/en/news/2018-nissan-micra-unveiled-paris/62822/

The new 2018 Nissan Micra will be built in Europe and sold over there from March 2017. No word yet about the Canadian market, however. Stay tuned.

and...

While the previous version is based on Nissan’s V-platform, the new gen Micra for Europe is underpinned by the Renault-Nissan Alliance’s CMF modular architecture. Power comes from a new 0.9 liter three cylinder petrol engine or if you choose, a 1.5 liter diesel. Both generating peak power of 90 hp. A 1.0 liter 73 hp petrol engine will be added at a later date.
https://www.rushlane.com/2018-nissan-micra-official-12187317.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrrjIR_D0kE
This guy starts off by saying that the "new Micra is actually quite a bit more expensive than the outgoing model, and most cars in this segment" (paraphrased since I don't care to literally transcribe it).

No armrest (the Canadian spec, i.e. older generation has one), and the windows even in the trim tested were manual.  At least it had heated seats, a/c, and nav!  Apparently p!ss poor blindspots, but really nice driving dynamics and decent sound suppression.

The new one sounds much better, but depends on how much more expensive it'd be.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 01:30:16 pm »
end of cycle for this design...this should be coming soon:

Honey, I shrunk the Murano!