Author Topic: First Drive: 2018 Subaru WRX and WRX STI  (Read 3553 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
First Drive: 2018 Subaru WRX and WRX STI
« on: June 02, 2017, 07:48:58 am »
Track and field.
Read more...

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
Re: First Drive: 2018 Subaru WRX and WRX STI
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:22:57 am »
"Second, don’t poo-poo the CVT."
I'm here to poo poo the CVT.   ;D

I'd still rock one of these. For a while anyway.
STI minus the wing please.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:31:58 am »
"you could swap out a CVT-equipped version of this car with someone’s Lexus ES350 and not have them complain too much."

::)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:38:31 am »
Not sure if I could live with one of these as a daily driver, or not... just something about the styling that doesn't appeal to me... but the HATCH version, I could live with because it just looks better to me. That said, was in a last gen STI out on the track & it ran great in the wet/cold conditions we had that day.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:15:09 am »
"Second, don’t poo-poo the CVT. Yes, there’s a little off-the-line lag here, but offering an automatic option increases the appeal of the car. Subaru quotes a current take-rate of just under 10 percent, so it’s not like the CVT ruins the breed: instead, it gets more people into WRX seats. And maybe, just maybe, that’ll help create the numbers to justify the hatchback again."

:iagree:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:31:25 am »
One of the techs at Vermont Sportscar – they build the US rally team cars – has already fully swapped his Crosstrek to WRX specs.

This guy needs to be a Subaru product planner.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:41:58 am »
One of the techs at Vermont Sportscar – they build the US rally team cars – has already fully swapped his Crosstrek to WRX specs.

:laugh:  :iagree:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 10:32:37 am »
As much as I'd like to see a hatchback version return, Subaru is selling more WRXs than ever so it's no surprise that it isn't a priority.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2119
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 10:37:23 am »
"Second, don’t poo-poo the CVT. Yes, there’s a little off-the-line lag here, but offering an automatic option increases the appeal of the car. Subaru quotes a current take-rate of just under 10 percent, so it’s not like the CVT ruins the breed: instead, it gets more people into WRX seats. And maybe, just maybe, that’ll help create the numbers to justify the hatchback again."

How can you not, CVT in a STI....tell your wife to buy her own damn car  ;D

Wheres Mike, HIRE THIS GUY NOW!!!!

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 10:42:03 am »
As much as I'd like to see a hatchback version return, Subaru is selling more WRXs than ever so it's no surprise that it isn't a priority.
Do you think they'd sell less with the hatckback added?  Just because you sell more doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.  I could understand if the Imprezza didn't offer a hatchback version to base it off of.

Also, I don't understand why it will take them 2 years to release a WRX on the new Imprezza platform.  I couldn't imagine VW releasing a new Golf and not have a GTI almost completed and ready for market after it's release.  That being said, Honda takes their sweet time also with the Si and Type R coming a couple years after the vehicle they are based on are released.  So maybe it's a Japanese thing.

Offline Robin2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Subaru WRX, 2011 Subaru WRX sedan, 1999 Subaru Impreza RS, 1992 Mazda 323
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 11:18:43 am »
I won't "suck it up" and will trade in my 11wrx for base 18wrx. 

First, don’t buy the base car. Suck it up and pay the extra $3,200 for the Sport model, which comes with LED headlights and a few other unimportant niceties.

the "sport" only gets this more over the base:

WRX Sport
• 10-way power driver’s seat
• LED fog lights
• New LED steering responsive headlights
• Wiper integrated automatic headlights

For me, that's not "sport" items that I care to add..... 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2119
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 11:23:05 am »

First, don’t buy the base car. Suck it up and pay the extra $3,200 for the Sport model, which comes with LED headlights and a few other unimportant niceties.

WRX Sport
• LED fog lights

I guess "Sport" to the vast unwashed masses is a little different than my meaning. I'm thinking Brembos, LSDs, adjustable Konis, intercooler spray....you know, actual things that make a car more sporty. Power seat and LED foglights doth not a sport car make.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 12:10:29 pm »

WRX Sport
• LED fog lights

Not that these are particularly "Sporty" additions but you also get a sunroof and added safety features like rear/side vehicle detection.

I know it's not for everyone but I love my sunroof.  My last car that I had for 13 yrs didn't have it but my previous cars before did.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 12:15:09 pm »

WRX Sport
• LED fog lights

Also a sunroof, which I do care about.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 12:16:58 pm »
Do you think they'd sell less with the hatckback added?  Just because you sell more doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.  I could understand if the Imprezza didn't offer a hatchback version to base it off of.

Also, I don't understand why it will take them 2 years to release a WRX on the new Imprezza platform.  I couldn't imagine VW releasing a new Golf and not have a GTI almost completed and ready for market after it's release.  That being said, Honda takes their sweet time also with the Si and Type R coming a couple years after the vehicle they are based on are released.  So maybe it's a Japanese thing.

Apparently, they're manufacturing to capacity.  They sell em as fast as they make em.  To build a hatchback would mean building less of something else.  We are not privy to the cost benefit analysis of adding a hatchback WRX/STI so who knows the actual reason.  I would love for them to bring the Levorg (basically a WRX wagon) here.  They already make it in LHD for other markets so again, not sure of the reasoning there.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 12:21:23 pm »

I don't think that they'd sell less but Subaru has had an incredibly successful run for the last few years in North America and the WRX is selling in large numbers despite the lack of a hatchback.

Recall that the 2005 Rabbit came out over a year before the 2007 GTI went on sale so VW has done it before as well. Interestingly, with the MkVII, the GTI was the first model that was available in North America.

Offline Robin2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Subaru WRX, 2011 Subaru WRX sedan, 1999 Subaru Impreza RS, 1992 Mazda 323
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 01:20:31 pm »
True.  I forgot on the sunroof or rear lip spoiler.

for msrp - just under $30k it's hard to beat. 

For the wrx/sti, they're still made in Japan.  The impreza sold in Canada/USA is now made in the states along with legacy/outback.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 01:44:05 pm »
If you, like me, are still waiting for Subaru Japan to listen to the demands of some of their most ardent North American fans, then bad news: there probably won’t be a major change until the 2020 model year, and even then, don’t count your Levorgs until they hatchback.

In the meantime, I have one tiny piece of comforting good news for you. In response to customer demand, Subaru has finally fitted both the 2018 Subaru WRX and the Subaru WRX STI with proper roof mounting points for a crossbar. No more straps wrecking your door seals – if you can’t get a hatchback, at least you can now strap your bikes/boards/children to the roof. What? I didn’t say children. You said children.

;D

A fun read as always, Brendan.

The news of the roof mounting points might not elicit WRX hatchback-levels of excitement, but it is great news and certainly adds to the sedan's appeal.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 04:08:05 pm »

Do you think they'd sell less with the hatckback added? Just because you sell more doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.  I could understand if the Imprezza didn't offer a hatchback version to base it off of.

As someone who was very disappointed in Subaru's decision to stop manufacturing the WRX-STi Hatch, it's hard to argue it from a financial standpoint when they've increased sales of the WRX-STi every single year since that decision was made.    Is there room for improvement, sure what car in existence can't be improved somehow?  I'm sure Subaru would argue that it's more expensive for them to build two models at the same time (sedan/hatch) and why bother when you can make just one, maximize profit, and increase sales every single year. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 06:23:14 pm »

Do you think they'd sell less with the hatckback added? Just because you sell more doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.  I could understand if the Imprezza didn't offer a hatchback version to base it off of.

As someone who was very disappointed in Subaru's decision to stop manufacturing the WRX-STi Hatch, it's hard to argue it from a financial standpoint when they've increased sales of the WRX-STi every single year since that decision was made.    Is there room for improvement, sure what car in existence can't be improved somehow?  I'm sure Subaru would argue that it's more expensive for them to build two models at the same time (sedan/hatch) and why bother when you can make just one, maximize profit, and increase sales every single year.
and to add to that, hatchbacks are popular in Canada, but not so much south of the border, and let's face it, that's where the money is...as much as we like to be special, we aren't even in the top 10 the largest auto markets...we get what we get.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.