Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Autobahn  (Read 4990 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Autobahn
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 01:16:09 pm »
Yeah, the 2016 hit the sweet spot for sure. It also offered a 8" touchscreen with the driver assist package and you could have the Performance model with cloth seats.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 01:21:08 pm »
So basically this is 2017's version of the Wolfsburg?  The equipment set seems like a copy / paste of that package.

Which Wolfsburg are you referring to?

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2013-volkswagen-golf-gti-wolfsburg-edition/

Oh gotcha. The 2017 isn't a lot different than the 2015/2016 Autobahn models in terms of packaging. Nav is now standard and I think they added blind spot detection and/or rear cross traffic alert. Other than that and the upgraded infotainment they're pretty much identical.

Should note that the three door is discontinued for 2018, and they've added a base five door model with 17" wheels, no sunroof or leather, no nav, etc.

Nice! I will be checking that out when they buy back the TDI. Would the GTI make a good country highway commuter?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 01:24:12 pm »
Yeah, the 2016 hit the sweet spot for sure. It also offered a 8" touchscreen with the driver assist package and you could have the Performance model with cloth seats.

Correct. The Tech Pack had the 8" display, lane assist, auto cruise and park assist IIRC.

Glad was nothing in there to make me want to spend the extra $$$.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 01:25:36 pm »
Don't all 2018's come with the extra 10hp that you got from the Performance model?  Speaking of the 2018's, shouldn't those be coming in the next 3-4 months.

The price of this model tested makes me think a base Golf R is the better buy, but I care less about tech and sun roofs than most.

Also when I was test driving the current generation of WRX and GTI I much preferred the GTI as it is a much more refined vehicle.  The WRX was much harsher in everyday driving, firmer suspension, more noise, and of course the interior wasn't as nice.  Here's hoping that when the new WRX comes out on the current generation Impezza it'll be a bit easier to live with every day, as the interior has certainly improved since I drove one two years ago.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 01:32:35 pm »
So basically this is 2017's version of the Wolfsburg?  The equipment set seems like a copy / paste of that package.

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2013-volkswagen-golf-gti-wolfsburg-edition/

Oh gotcha. The 2017 isn't a lot different than the 2015/2016 Autobahn models in terms of packaging. Nav is now standard and I think they added blind spot detection and/or rear cross traffic alert. Other than that and the upgraded infotainment they're pretty much identical.

Should note that the three door is discontinued for 2018, and they've added a base five door model with 17" wheels, no sunroof or leather, no nav, etc.

Nice! I will be checking that out when they buy back the TDI. Would the GTI make a good country highway commuter?

Definitely. My commute is a mix of two lane rural roads and four lane highway and it's great.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 01:36:09 pm »
Don't all 2018's come with the extra 10hp that you got from the Performance model?  Speaking of the 2018's, shouldn't those be coming in the next 3-4 months.

The price of this model tested makes me think a base Golf R is the better buy, but I care less about tech and sun roofs than most.

Also when I was test driving the current generation of WRX and GTI I much preferred the GTI as it is a much more refined vehicle.  The WRX was much harsher in everyday driving, firmer suspension, more noise, and of course the interior wasn't as nice.  Here's hoping that when the new WRX comes out on the current generation Impezza it'll be a bit easier to live with every day, as the interior has certainly improved since I drove one two years ago.

Yeah, the 2018 gets the 10 extra HP but it doesn't look like Canada gets the LSD and upgraded brakes that some US models will have.

Price delta between a base Golf R and a comparable GTI is almost $6k. You can get the GTI for even cheaper if you don't want leather. I think that's a fair spread.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 01:38:20 pm »

The GTI would be a better highway commuter than the Golf R or the WRX for that matter.  The rpms at those speeds are lower in the GTI and the fuel economy is better also. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 01:40:14 pm »

Yeah, the 2018 gets the 10 extra HP but it doesn't look like Canada gets the LSD and upgraded brakes that some US models will have.

Price delta between a base Golf R and a comparable GTI is almost $6k. You can get the GTI for even cheaper if you don't want leather. I think that's a fair spread.

Yes I wasn't really comparing apples to apples, I was referencing the model tested in the article and a base Golf R.  Obviously there are some differences in equipment.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 04:08:27 pm »

Price delta between a base Golf R and a comparable GTI is almost $6k.

Would be hard to justify the new GTI when you have deals like this available:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/Golf+R/Victoria/British+Columbia/5_31381149_CT20041026145235706/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=23_15_24

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/Golf+R/North+Vancouver/British+Columbia/5_30697276_BS2004512122818/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=22_15_24

With the inventory that several VW dealers have in the lower mainland, you know they're not selling these for MSRP new and even the used ones are staying on the lots for extended periods of time so they may be motivated to move them since they're already one or two years old in car terms.   My co-worker recently got a new Golf R at a dealer just outside of the GVA for $2,000.00 off MSRP and NO dealer fees of any kind thrown on top.  There's no way I'd be buying a theoretically 'lesser' car (GTI) when there's deals like that to be had for the R. 

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 04:18:02 pm »
I hate to admit it but I think I am too much of a sunroof slappie to get a Golf R. Gotta have it. I think it would have to be a chipped A3 S-line Quattro for the same money.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 04:42:51 pm »

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/Golf+R/Victoria/British+Columbia/5_31381149_CT20041026145235706/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=23_15_24

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volkswagen/Golf+R/North+Vancouver/British+Columbia/5_30697276_BS2004512122818/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=22_15_24

With the inventory that several VW dealers have in the lower mainland, you know they're not selling these for MSRP new and even the used ones are staying on the lots for extended periods of time so they may be motivated to move them since they're already one or two years old in car terms.   My co-worker recently got a new Golf R at a dealer just outside of the GVA for $2,000.00 off MSRP and NO dealer fees of any kind thrown on top.  There's no way I'd be buying a theoretically 'lesser' car (GTI) when there's deals like that to be had for the R.

There are equally good deals on the GTI as well so the price difference between similarly equipped GTI and R stays almost constant.

Last year ( February) when I shopped there was no negotiation on R as they were new and scarce hence the GTI was an even better deal. I could not justify $8K price difference. Plus leather only R was a drawback as I prefer cloth seats especially the ones in the GTI.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 05:01:35 pm »

That '16 R is far from a deal considering its MSRP was $39,995 + freight/PDI.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 05:20:43 pm »
I hate to admit it but I think I am too much of a sunroof slappie to get a Golf R. Gotta have it. I think it would have to be a chipped A3 S-line Quattro for the same money.

Me too. I love my sunroof and I find that its an odd omission from the Canadian Golf R.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »

Me too. I love my sunroof and I find that its an odd omission from the Canadian Golf R.

I don't remember the exact details but the North American R is built on the same production line, and uses the same body structure, as the e-Golf, hence no sunroof. If production had moved to Pueblo has some people had thought, it likely would have gained a sunroof.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2017, 09:44:10 am »
I find it funny...in the lower US, where snow isn't a 'thing' (or at least a routine 'thing'), the bottom line is "why bother with the R when you have the GTI for cheaper?"

...and in Canada, where snow is a reality,

"Why GTI when you could R?  MOAR AWD!  And what about Subaru?  It has AWD, but a sh!t interior comparatively, and it's noisier.  Yeah, but you can corner the GTI while listening to classical music vs Kid Rock in the STi with its giant rear wing."

...but I digress.  Fantastic hatch and plenty even for Canadian winters.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 09:46:43 am »
I could never warm up to the Golf, from any generation and in any guise (GTi or R). It's just too bland. I don't like this interior at all, looks the same as a Golf from 3 generations ago...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2017, 09:55:45 am »
I find it funny...in the lower US, where snow isn't a 'thing' (or at least a routine 'thing'), the bottom line is "why bother with the R when you have the GTI for cheaper?"

"Why GTI when you could R?  MOAR AWD!  And what about Subaru?  It has AWD, but a sh!t interior comparatively, and it's noisier.  Yeah, but you can corner the GTI while listening to classical music vs Kid Rock in the STi with its giant rear wing."

But the GTI is also a lot cheaper in the US because they get a true base model five-door. People are buying GTIs for ~$22k while the R starts at almost $40k.

In the US the GTI is the bargain while in Canada it's the R.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 10:06:55 am »

But the GTI is also a lot cheaper in the US because they get a true base model five-door.
People are buying GTIs for ~$22k while the R starts at almost $40k.

In the US the GTI is the bargain while in Canada it's the R.

Agreed.   A true base GTI, with the plaid seats and all that is a heck of a deal at low 20k.  But if you're optioning up one with the Leather seats and tech packages and whatnot (as I probably would), the Golf R looks a lot more compelling as a package deal.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2119
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 10:13:58 am »
I could never warm up to the Golf, from any generation and in any guise (GTi or R). It's just too bland. I don't like this interior at all, looks the same as a Golf from 3 generations ago...

See, I'm kinda with ya, the last Golf I liked was the MK2....maybe because there was a lucky bastard kid in high school that his parents bought him a cherry red one and I was so jealous that I had to drive my dads Aerostar that I wanted to punch kittens, but I digress, MK2, last cool Golf in my books

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:38:44 am by Fobroader »
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2017, 10:36:49 am »
Great, entertaining review.