Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2017 Compact SUVs Part 1 – $35,000  (Read 12340 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Comparison Test: 2017 Compact SUVs Part 1 – $35,000
« on: May 10, 2017, 06:55:16 am »
 2017 Hyundai Tucson vs 2017 Mazda CX-5 vs 2017 Subaru Forester vs 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan
Read more...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Comparison Test: 2017 Compact SUVs Part 1 – $35,000
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:05:39 am »
Wow, you gave VW only 7 in seating but Subaru  7.7!
I found the seats so uncomfortable I would not even take a Forester out for a drive ( I thought the Outback seats were a lot better) , I found the Tiguan seat to be very good

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:09:09 am »
This might be anecdotal in nature but it does go to load capacity. 

For the last few days I've been helping with the flood relief efforts in my local community of Vaudreuil.  Part of that meant 24 hour shifts of chucking sandbags into the cars / SUVs / CUVs / trucks of local area folks who were struggling to keep the waters at bay. 

After a few hours we came up with a pretty good methodology for loading 35lb - 45lb sandbags.  The key to that was to NEVER, EVER fill a CUV / compact SUV with more than 15 bags or about the same amount as a hatchback unless it was a Subaru.  CX-5s, Rogues, CRV's and even some of the larger ones like the Pilot and Murano had some major suspension issues when loading weight on or behind the rear axle.     

I'm not sure what they do but the Foresters, Crosstreks, etc could routinely hold 20-22 bags without having the suspension completely bottom out. 

As an aside, the "winner" of our little counting game was the boss man from Cornwall who rolled up in a Unimog.  Countless runs of 240 bags each and he went straight into the worst-hit area every time.  He deserves a star.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:20:55 am by SKYMTL »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 08:16:53 am »
I will take this one

Or this one

Modern ones are nothing more than jacked up hatchbacks with cladding. Interesting about the Subaru, seems they at least still know how to build vehicles that can do more than go to Walmart...

I'm sorry, harsh. Trying to turn a new leaf.  :P
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:37:22 am »
I will take this one

Or this one

Modern ones are nothing more than jacked up hatchbacks with cladding. Interesting about the Subaru, seems they at least still know how to build vehicles that can do more than go to Walmart...

You are assuming of course it makes it to Wal Mart...

Are(n't) you going to eat that?  :stick:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 08:39:51 am »
I will take this one

Or this one

You are assuming of course it makes it to Wal Mart...

Are(n't) you going to eat that?  :stick:

Subaru is one of the most reliable brands out there.

And I don't like salad.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:44:02 am »
I really want to like the Forester, but somehow can't get over the looks and interior design/quality/fit & finish...

It just looks too dated all around, even more so than the Tiguan.

I wish the Mazda had the same Symetrical AWD system, it would be the ultimate CUV then.

If I were to sign a cheque for a Subaru, it would definitely go to the Outback.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 08:55:02 am »
 :D

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 08:55:14 am »
Sorry folks, the Tucson is not even close to what you described in this review...you were clearly trying to be nice!

I'd take the VW over it in a heartbeat - more power, more comfort and better interior materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 08:57:19 am »

And I don't like salad.

1. Hold it...what?  :think:  You're putting out confusing messages to the masses who might read it here.  Pretty sure everyone wants a Subaru (self included) but everyone who's owned one has had to spend $1000's in head gasket replacements...it's either reliable, or it's not. 

2. Hold it...what?  :think:  You're putting out confusing messages to the masses who might read it here.   :stick:  I love salad...chicken and pineapple and cucumbers with a honey dill dressing on lettuce? Yum! Spinach with strawberries and whatever the hell the dressing my SIL makes...delish!  Are you sure you aren't eating animals?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 09:44:12 am »
Random thoughts:

*  German entry finishes last?  ::)  Oh wait, this isn't Car and Driver, so not necessarily shocking.  ;)
*  I guess the turbo motor would have put the Tucson over the price limit?  ???  Otherwise seems a no-brainer choice for this vehicle.
*  I won't dispute the technical / pragmatic merits of the Sube.  I am just struggling to think how it could possibly be any more frumpy-looking.  It's the elderly spinster librarian of this group.
*  CX-5 is gorgeous inside and out and would be my pick of this group.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 09:55:01 am »

And I don't like salad.

1. Hold it...what?  :think:  You're putting out confusing messages to the masses who might read it here.  Pretty sure everyone wants a Subaru (self included) but everyone who's owned one has had to spend $1000's in head gasket replacements...it's either reliable, or it's not. 

I've owned my Subaru for over 7 years and not spent a dime on anything but oil changes, tires and brakes.   0 warranty issues.  So...maybe they are reliable?   The head gasket issues are well documented certainty, but still...just how prevalent are they?  Anecdotal reasoning is generally worthless.

I'm sure all of these rides (outside of the VW's electronics) could be considered very reliable in general terms.

I agree with the top 2 picks here.  Mazda for style, Subie for capability.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2120
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 10:26:24 am »
For me the ultimate winter car out of all of these is the Subie. Head gaskets be damned, the AWD makes it worth it....also the only one available with a standard tranny.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 10:57:35 am »
Subaru with a manual transmission out of this group.

I like the styling of the Subaru and Tiguan.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 11:04:46 am »
the headgasket issue was for early 2000s non-turbo models - since been fixed

Yes I dont like salad, and I am a vegan.

You can let that rest now.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 11:37:38 am »
Re the Tucson:
Five years ago, this vehicle probably would have won.
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-subcompact-crossovers-suvs/?all=1

Last year it came in 4th :)

It also comes with a transmission upgrade: Hyundai’s new seven-speed automatic instead of the base six-speed auto. This is a faster shifting, responsive powertrain suitable for the sportier driver; the average buyer would probably be just as happy with the base engine.
Come now...you know that isn't the better transmission - it's jumpy, slow to react from a stop, and generally the worst part of the Tucson feature content.

The other thing worth noting is that many of the features not equipped in these vehicles are available (such as push-button start in the Tucson) in higher trims.

Re the CX-5:
“I’ve driven this car with a stick and it’s a blast – the automatic makes it seem more ho-hum, especially when you consider the lack of paddle shifters,” Wimbush says.
While I agree that the autobox in Mazdas are generally so fuel-economy centred that they ruin an otherwise lively experience, the :drive: is only available with the 2.0L engine (wah, wah).

Bochenek concurs, saying that “the back/forth shifter isn’t intuitive and has nothing on paddling.”
I prefer the back/forth to the forth/back directionality!!  At least Mazda gets it right!  ...but yes, paddling is better than shiftronic or whatever it's called these days.  "Manual shifting of an automatic using the console-mounted shiftgate" or whatever.

The CX-5 GS has the most robust feature offering of these vehicles with a heated steering wheel, power liftgate, keyless entry, blind-spot detection, lane-departure warning, and adaptive cruise control, and a 40-20-40 split rear seat all included, the latter being exclusive in this field.
Don't forget rain-sensing wipers!!  Great feature that's underappreciated.

Re the Forester:
Indeed, if it had included a heated steering wheel, the Forester would also have placed first outright for Amenities rather than tying with the Mazda.
The Forester did not include keyless entry, Android Auto/Apple Car Play or the de rigueur heated steering wheel.
I get what you're saying, but see my point above about having the option available in other trims...in other words, you can get your Forester with a heated steering wheel and keyless entry (but not for the price point tested :P).  Android auto is available on the 2017 Impreza and will trickle down to the Forester soon.

Another Canada-friendly exclusive was the hood struts, pneumatic devices lifting the hood without a prop rod’s support.
Good on you for highlighting this - a feature I'm missing in the Mazda3, which is annoying since I use a trickle charger...so I pop the hood every time I drive it (um, maybe once/week or two :P)

Ever googled chameleons? They ain’t pretty.

A wonderful comparison as always, fellas.  Can't wait for Part 2 ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:42:16 am by No-san »

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 11:44:23 am »
RE transmission:
Nope, you're totally wrong. The DCT is a much better box, and as mentioned, better for performance too.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 11:44:48 am »
Pretty sure everyone wants a Subaru (self included) but everyone who's owned one has had to spend $1000's in head gasket replacements...
I've owned my Subaru for over 7 years and not spent a dime on anything but oil changes, tires and brakes.   
Count my 2011 Fozzie XT as reliable.  Sure, I just put $400 into a new air/fuel ratio sensor at 6 years, but I put the same fix into the Corolla when it was only 5 years old.  Even still, hardly "unreliable".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 11:45:13 am »
RE transmission:
Nope, you're totally wrong. The DCT is a much better box, and as mentioned, better for performance too.
Once moving, sure.  From a stop?  That DCT is horrible.  You know it.  I know it.  We both know it.

It was recalled:
http://www.consumerreports.org/tucson/2016-hyundai-tucson-transmission-gets-a-free-fix/

...but I still noticed it on the last drive.  Much better, yes, but not a smooth starter.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 11:53:06 am »
chameleons are beautiful, had many as pets as a kid

had one of these, his name was Herc

And I will always prefer a traditional auto over a DCT unless I am in a sports car going bonkers all the time. In traffic, they are horrible. ZF does great work these days anyways, no reason not to.