Author Topic: '72 MGB - The Official Cars of Autos.ca?  (Read 12638 times)

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: '72 MGB - The Official Cars of Autos.ca?
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2018, 10:53:05 am »
Yeah, $8K USD converts to about $10.4K CAD. That's right in line, maybe a touch higher, than I expected. It's one of those things, very comparable MGBs have brought more (I've seen similar cars go for $15K+), but at that price you'd be waiting around for months or years for that 'right' buyer. Better to be happy with a fair price and move onto something else.
Yeah, limited buyers around in the Canadian  market would drag on a sale - The US is certainly a bigger market  and then there's the dollar difference. Will you start to sell exclusively now on BAT as a result?
Upon further reflection I suppose $10K CAD is in line - -I sold my MGB in 1977 (were you born then?) for $2k 40 years ago. Although it was full of bondo. ;)
Railton

I am happy with BaT, but I think eBay is still my go-to because of the protections and structure they have in place. BaT is pretty lax, they collect their cut (buyers fee) immediately and it's up to the buyer and seller to figure out the details....eBay does a good job of laying out a framework for how the transaction should go, keeping everyone on the same page. Luckily, my BaT buyer seems very easy to work with (older guy from Conneticuit buying the car for his new wife).

I think the big advantage of BaT is the ability for users to interact with each other in the comments....It gives people a place to chat about the car, collect opinions, receive peer pressure, all that good stuff, to hopefully drive the bidding (or deter it in some cases).

For the record, I was not even a thought in 1977  :P

You guys may recall the dark red 77 MGB I sold a couple years ago (thread here https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=94158.80 ). My memory is a bit foggy, but I got about $7500USD for it - granted it was a less desirable Rubber Bumper car, but it was a 40,000 mile original paint car, so I'd call them fairly equal value wise. That car sold in eBay to a guy in Sault Ste. Marie.

My mom has a near perfect 80 MGB with more miles, but original paint, matched hardtop, and a bunch of 'tasteful' performance and driving mods (it has been her daily driver for years) that she's been trying to sell for somewhere around $10K USD and she hasn't had much luck.

I think there's a bit of a ceiling on MGB's right now....once you approach that $10K USD mark there are many 'better' enthusiast cars that become available, so you need someone with a serious MGB affinity to spend that sort of money. Whereas with the lower $ cars you get buyers who are just looking for a fun older roadster.