Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport  (Read 7752 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 01:08:21 pm »

*  But yeah, those wheels look tiny under that big body (cure Sir O to rage against oversize wheels  ;D )

We got your big wheeled Santa Fe right here:

Now thats a proper CUV!!!! Hyundai, I will take one  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 01:15:27 pm »

*  But yeah, those wheels look tiny under that big body (cure Sir O to rage against oversize wheels  ;D )

We got your big wheeled Santa Fe right here:

Now thats a proper CUV!!!! Hyundai, I will take one  ;D

http://driving.ca/hyundai/santa-fe/auto-news/news/more-than-a-century-later-shackleton-descendent-tackles-antarctica-in-a-hyundai-santa-fe
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 09:53:58 am »
   I'm beginning to like the Terrain better. Probably the style is as old but a bit more punchy looking...and very quiet inside I read. It seems to me that wife approval was very good in that model. Price wise at the moment it seems better also.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 10:19:51 pm »
   I'm beginning to like the Terrain better. Probably the style is as old but a bit more punchy looking...and very quiet inside I read. It seems to me that wife approval was very good in that model. Price wise at the moment it seems better also.

I rented a Terrain a while back and it was a miserable driving experience. It was quite the opposite of "very quiet" with the barely adequate engine sounding like it was going to explode anytime acceleration was required. The seats were comfortable. Everything else - terrible.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 10:24:00 pm »

Just like a Mustang without "5.0" on the side.

Never gets old.  Nope.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 12:00:01 am »
the new 2018 Terrain is all new...but i just looked at some pics of it, and man, wtf is up with the transmission shifter controls...why are companies moving away from a traditional "stick"...it doesn't take up THAT much room.

look at this abomination, located just below the HVAC controls:

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 12:12:22 am »
the new 2018 Terrain is all new...but i just looked at some pics of it, and man, wtf is up with the transmission shifter controls...why are companies moving away from a traditional "stick"...it doesn't take up THAT much room.

Lawsuit warning....! Even the way the buttons are arranged makes no sense.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 12:24:28 am »

well, the button arrangement is in "order" like a regular shifter is, but it goes left to right instead up front to back...as well, it has the manumatic buttons on the far right...wtf are those doing over there??...you likely can't even reach them when you have your seat belt on...whoever designed that needs a kick in the junk.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 08:03:43 am »

That's a hot mess.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 08:19:44 am »

well, the button arrangement is in "order" like a regular shifter is, but it goes left to right instead up front to back...as well, it has the manumatic buttons on the far right...wtf are those doing over there??...you likely can't even reach them when you have your seat belt on...whoever designed that needs a kick in the junk.

Is that what that is?? 
So I guess you better have somebody in the passenger seat working those buttons...   

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 08:26:16 am »
Thanks for the comments...and noisey you say....hmmm. If you can't believe the supposed qualified data that you read then noise readings are required if this is a factor of import. I think it is.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 08:29:12 am »
that is disgusting, glad I don't have to try and sell that POS anymore [Terrain]. They were, and are, underpowered and under-equipped. But Canadians love them because they are like a truck that the wife drives, or the husband drives when his wife wont let him have a truck...  :P

...what the flying fack was wrong with the traditional shifter? Have companies really exhausted all other ideas on how to make their cars marketing-hype friendly?

There is nothing at all wrong with the traditional PRNDL shifter. Anything over and above that is just stupid.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 08:30:31 am »
Thanks for the comments...and noisey you say....hmmm. If you can't believe the supposed qualified data that you read then noise readings are required if this is a factor of import. I think it is.

Wat?

I think Rupert put too much Bailey's in his coffee this morning.   ;D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 08:54:59 am »
Do they still sell the V6 Terrain? That would be quieter. Too much power for Rupert though.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2017, 09:53:04 am »
   The traditional shifter got a bit large on some cars I think and there was no scaling for smaller vehicles. There is nothing wrong with it at all but it does not need to be space robbing on top of the box on the floor though. I think the position on the dash of Caravan one is ideal. Right by your hand. Dials are space saving but how well they work is unknown.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2017, 12:53:28 pm »

Is that what that is?? 
So I guess you better have somebody in the passenger seat working those buttons...   
i don't know for sure if the "L +/-" is the manumatic shifting buttons, but for where they are located, and the designation of them, it would make sense to assume that is what they are...if it is, that is the absolute most useless place to put them, aside from hiding them in the glove box.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 12:56:05 pm »

Thats beyond idiotic, put it between the front passengers for the love of gawd!!! What the hell is wrong with the PRND321 or R123456 and a stick to choose them?!?!?!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 01:04:12 pm »
Thats beyond idiotic, put it between the front passengers for the love of gawd!!! What the hell is wrong with the PRND321 or R123456 and a stick to choose them?!?!?!
agreed...or our Kias (common to other brands too) which are PRND, with a shift to the left while in D to allow the +/- manumatic shifting (which, let's be honest, likely rarely gets used).

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 01:05:43 pm »
agreed...or our Kias (common to other brands too) which are PRND, with a shift to the left while in D to allow the +/- manumatic shifting (which, let's be honest, likely rarely gets used).

Something that even the most window licking, on their phone, lowest common denominator steering wheel holder cannot f$%k up putting into park. KISS comes into play here a lot.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 01:37:50 pm »
Something that even the most window licking, on their phone, lowest common denominator steering wheel holder cannot f$%k up putting into park. KISS comes into play here a lot.

I recently spent some time driving my F-I-L's F30 BMW with that stupid shift lever.  I never got used to it, but it was always a little unsettling pressing the button to put it into park.

*Presses button*

"Am I in park?"

*Releases foot from brake*

"I guess so"

There's something reassuring about having a tactile feeling when the car is placed into park.  I am sure I'd get used to it... but why??
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.