Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport  (Read 7749 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2017, 01:40:35 pm »
Something that even the most window licking, on their phone, lowest common denominator steering wheel holder cannot f$%k up putting into park. KISS comes into play here a lot.

I recently spent some time driving my F-I-L's F30 BMW with that stupid shift lever.  I never got used to it, but it was always a little unsettling pressing the button to put it into park.

*Presses button*

"Am I in park?"

*Releases foot from brake*

"I guess so"

There's something reassuring about having a tactile feeling when the car is placed into park.  I am sure I'd get used to it... but why??

Thats the whole issue, why complicate something for "0" benefit?!?!?!? Were people complaining about how difficult the shift lever was?? In the dark, blindfolded I can get a car into park and drive/1st gear with an old fashioned lever, buttons and dials, nope.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2017, 02:15:56 pm »
I know some Mercedes vehicles have a similar system to that BMW. Not a fan.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2017, 02:37:02 pm »
Well that's what you get when you go from a mechanical shifter with a linkage to a fully electronic one... gives the designers all kinds of ways to come up with new ideas to make their product different, cutting edge, the latest & greatest, etc...
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2017, 02:39:16 pm »
Well that's what you get when you go from a mechanical shifter with a linkage to a fully electronic one... gives the designers all kinds of ways to come up with new ideas to make their product different, cutting edge, the latest & greatest, etc... worse......

FFA  ;D

Mechanical linkage just works...and if it doesn't, you can still get under the car and put your car in gear with pliers  :P

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2017, 02:46:19 pm »
Well that's what you get when you go from a mechanical shifter with a linkage to a fully electronic one... gives the designers all kinds of ways to come up with new ideas to make their product different, cutting edge, the latest & greatest, etc... worse......

FFA  ;D

Mechanical linkage just works...and if it doesn't, you can still get under the car and put your car in gear with pliers  :P

:iagree:

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2017, 03:08:29 pm »
So the old column shifter with mechanical linkage was not so bad hay. Onward in reverse to the wonderful old bench seat, with individual seat back rake.

When you think of it, the shifter device is only probably touched twice on a half days drive to the coast...what's the big deal. I agree about the +/- remark. Little usage but handy in hill country with a trailer behind.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 03:10:27 pm »
No to bench seat and the shifter should be between the driver and passenger as bucket seats are the only way to roll. Nothing is worse than riding in a vehicle with an unsupportive church pew hastily screwed into the front seat location.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 03:26:26 pm »
You don't do anything hasty on a church pew.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 10:56:46 pm »
We are approaching 100,000 km’s on our 2013 Santa fe Sport. I thought I’d sum up my experience.

The goods:
-So far a very positive experience overall with Hyundai and our SFS, materials inside and out have held up well - still looks new inside with a quick detail cleaning.
-I liked the older style 17” wheels better than the new ones and is a very comfortable cruiser compared to the turbo’s larger wheels - we run dedicated snows and still have the original tires and brakes. (tires will be done after this summer).
-2.4 is adequate. Nothing more nothing less. Steering mode has stayed in sport since day 1. Transmission is well sorted and pulls my 4x8 utility trailer with a yard of top soil just fine. Rpm’s stay low on the highway.
-Ours is only one model up from the base model but doesn't cheap out on features. I appreciate the reclining 40/20/40 heated rear seats with sun shades built in and heated steering wheel, power lumbar.
-Little extra room inside means our rear facing infant seat is in the back and I (6’1) still fit in the front with room for the dog and stroller in the back.

The bads:
-We had one unplanned service - clicking noise in steering, was fixed under warranty during an oil change (I think a new steering rack went in).
-Dime size rust spot where you kick the snow off your boot at driver door.
-Glowing blue radio head unit in annoying at night but the display can be completely turned off.
-Wish we had a back up camera but back up sensors work well.
-I’m not a fan of the 6000 km service interval...too short
-Front driver power window often freezes up in the winter...yes i’m “that guy” opening the door at the drive thru window.

Originally we planned to trade in this thing after it’s paid for (soon) but to be honest it has held up well and aged well so for now we plan to keep it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2017, 07:30:29 am »
check your owners manual to confirm that...often, dealerships quote that for extra revenue...most newer vehicles are usually in the 8-10k range, or 20k with synthetic.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2017, 07:57:26 am »
check your owners manual to confirm that...often, dealerships quote that for extra revenue...most newer vehicles are usually in the 8-10k range, or 20k with synthetic.

20k seems like along time between intervals...but hey, my cars get a change every 5&10k...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2017, 08:07:30 am »
I have a Sorento and my dealership was pushing this as well, the 6K one is for sever usage, which Toronto is not..   I contacted Kia Canada and asked them what there policy was to maintain all warranties. They sent an email back see below. I follow the 12KM/6 month one, outlined in the manual...

Dear Mr. Allen,

Thank you for contacting Kia Canada Customer Experience Department. I received your email sent March 05, 2016 regarding your inquiry on schedule maintenance for your 2016 Kia Sorento.

Thank you for taking your time to communicate with us.

Please note your Kia owner’s manual is your main source of reference regarding the maintenance information for your vehicle and by following the recommended maintenance schedule it will ensure the validity of your vehicle’s warranty.

For maintenance service on your vehicle we recommend that you follow the recommended maintenance interval outlined on Section 7 in your Owner’s Manual. As a Kia customer you have the right to follow the recommendation under either Normal Maintenance Schedule or follow our recommended Severe Usage Maintenance Schedule. Both maintenance services are correct.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2017, 08:47:01 am »
We are approaching 100,000 km’s on our 2013 Santa fe Sport. I thought I’d sum up my experience.

The goods:
-So far a very positive experience overall with Hyundai and our SFS, materials inside and out have held up well - still looks new inside with a quick detail cleaning.
-I liked the older style 17” wheels better than the new ones and is a very comfortable cruiser compared to the turbo’s larger wheels - we run dedicated snows and still have the original tires and brakes. (tires will be done after this summer).
-2.4 is adequate. Nothing more nothing less. Steering mode has stayed in sport since day 1. Transmission is well sorted and pulls my 4x8 utility trailer with a yard of top soil just fine. Rpm’s stay low on the highway.
-Ours is only one model up from the base model but doesn't cheap out on features. I appreciate the reclining 40/20/40 heated rear seats with sun shades built in and heated steering wheel, power lumbar.
-Little extra room inside means our rear facing infant seat is in the back and I (6’1) still fit in the front with room for the dog and stroller in the back.

The bads:
-We had one unplanned service - clicking noise in steering, was fixed under warranty during an oil change (I think a new steering rack went in).
-Dime size rust spot where you kick the snow off your boot at driver door.
-Glowing blue radio head unit in annoying at night but the display can be completely turned off.
-Wish we had a back up camera but back up sensors work well.
-Front driver power window often freezes up in the winter...yes i’m “that guy” opening the door at the drive thru window.

Originally we planned to trade in this thing after it’s paid for (soon) but to be honest it has held up well and aged well so for now we plan to keep it.

Thanks for the report. I unscheduled service stop in 100k km isn't too bad at all.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2017, 09:09:56 am »
I have a Sorento and my dealership was pushing this as well, the 6K one is for sever usage, which Toronto is not..

Some manufacturers require cars in Canada to follow the severe usage schedule on account of the cold.  I know my Mazda's have been this way.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2017, 11:25:32 am »
we bring our Kias in every spring and fall...it coincides with the tire swaps...we don't really put a ton of kms on our vehicles anyway, so the roughly 6 month gaps are fine...we're usually in the ~8k kms, which the dealership said was fine...i get free oil changes anyway, so it's not like i'm out anything, i would just prefer to not waste the oil when it is still good for a bit longer (and reduce the number of dealership visits, for convenience).

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2017, 09:37:55 am »
Thanks for the comments...and noisey you say....hmmm. If you can't believe the supposed qualified data that you read then noise readings are required if this is a factor of import. I think it is.

Wat?

I think Rupert put too much Bailey's in his coffee this morning.   ;D

That's a thing ?! Not possible...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.