Author Topic: First Drive: 2017 Mazda CX-5  (Read 18466 times)

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
Re: First Drive: 2017 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2017, 01:52:23 pm »
Re power liftgate: came out of a store a couple of days ago and watched this guy waiting for his Forester's power liftgate to open.  2/3s of the way open he lost his patience and manually pushed it up the rest of the way.  They should install speed settings on these things (slow, medium, and fast).
I've never understood the need for a power liftgate, but my wife, on the other hand, would love to have one.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2017, 02:26:56 pm »
Re power liftgate: came out of a store a couple of days ago and watched this guy waiting for his Forester's power liftgate to open.  2/3s of the way open he lost his patience and manually pushed it up the rest of the way.  They should install speed settings on these things (slow, medium, and fast).
I've never understood the need for a power liftgate, but my wife, on the other hand, would love to have one.
my mother wants one, mainly because she has a hard time reaching the liftgate when it's fully open...also, reaching over head can sometimes be awkward or uncomfortable if you have shoulder issues...not much of an issue for us youngin's, but we don't stay young forever. :)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2017, 11:08:24 am »
I can't seem to find a full review/test drive of the new 2017 CX-5... Only first drive type reviews that really don't go into any detail. The car has been in dealerships for nearly 3 weeks now...

There are a few videos on youtube, but nothing very thorough.

Having said that, I took one for a test drive last Saturday and really really liked it. My wife and I went to our local dealership in Oakville (Budd's), and they have a couple of 2017 CX-5 in the showroom. One of them is the fully loaded GT in that beautiful red colour, and the other one is the base model.

First impression was great. There is definitely a WOW factor in that Kodo design. The car looks gorgeous, especially in that soul red crystal metallic. Once inside, the initial good impression continues. The interior design, the dashboard, the center console, the seats, the door panels, everything looks well laid out and very well put together. The fit and finish is head and shoulders above the competition in that price range (Nissan Rogue, Honda CR-V, Toyoto Rav4). The materials used inside are very upscale as well, with leather and soft touch materials everywhere. It really looks and feels upscale.

I particularly appreciated the fact that Mazda did not cheap out on anything here. The top of the doors panels is soft on both front and rear doors, whereas most competitors will have soft touch materials on the front door panels but hard plastics on the rear doors. Also, the inside of the glove box is lined with a nice soft material. The carpet in the trunk is thick and soft to the touch, as are the wheel wells, supposedly for sound deadening purposes.

Everything feels right to the touch and everything is right where it should be (i.e. the volume knob button is located next to the infotainment buttons and falls right into your hand when your elbow is resting on the center armrest.

The rear seats are comfortable and spacious. You can recline the seats a little for more comfort. I like the armrest, with the heated seat buttons and the fast USB chargers. Although if you have a passenger sitting in the middle seat, you won't be able to use any of that. Putting the heated seat buttons on the doors and USB chargers on the center console like other manufacturers do is probably a better idea. Adults can travel comfortably on the back seats, there is enough leg room for a 6ft 2" adult like myself.

The sunroof is a small one. Mazda say they are not putting panoramic sunroofs in their cars to reduce weight. Yeah ok... It still would be nice though.

Unfortunately, I could not take the GT-tech model for a test drive, so couldn't try the HUD, which is one of the novelties here. The information is projected directly into the windshield instead of a little piece of glass like in the Mazda 6. I really wanted to see how it looked IRL.

Instead, I got to drive a GS model, which offers the same engine and transmission : The 2.5L 4cyl engine mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission. The GS model is already pretty well equipped.

Once on the road, the CX-5 feels pretty good to drive. The handling is very incisive and direct, however a little heavy at times. You can definitely feel that there is somehow less assistance from the power steering. I think that while Mazda wants you to feel more connected to the road and wants the car to feel more sporty when you toss it around corners, they should have provided a slightly fatter steering wheel rim with better grip, I thought this one was a little thin and did not allow me to fully appreciate the steering and handling.

The power feels adequate, I didn't feel that is needed more, but it also didn't feel very powerful or quick. Not sure how it would handle mountain roads with steep inclines. You can use the Sport mode which will let the engine rev to 4,000 rpm before shifting to a higher gear. When you do that, the car definitely feels more lively and peppy, but it also translates into more engine noise inside the cabin. You can definitely hear the engine in the car, a little too much for my taste, even though Mazda claim to have gone to great lengths trying to improve sound deadening. However the engine noise is not too bad, it sounds throaty, and the auto transmission is pretty good and fast. Maybe the GT version and its BOSE sound system would help cope with the noise.

Overall, I really liked the car. There are only minor quibbles, like the small sunroof and also only the driver's window has auto up and down. There is no Android Auto currently. The reviews online indicate that Mazda is working on it and will make it available through a software update but the sales guy didn't know much about it.

This new CX-5 is a well designed and well built car. Currently on the top of my wish list.

Now, to give you some idea, right after this test drive, my wife and I went to the closest Honda dealership to take the new CR-V for a spin. I must say that after sitting in the CX-5 for a while, the CR-V feels like a full step down in terms of interior quality, fit and finish, etc. It feels a lot more plasticky inside, with plenty of cheap feeling black hard plastics especially on the center console and stack. The exterior design is also more quirky, especially the front. The lines are not as fluid as the CX-5.

While the Honda has the 1.5L turbo engine (vs. the naturally aspirated 2.5L in the CX-5), the power and torque output are almost the same as the CX-5 and acceleration did feel very similar, as did cabin noise. Step on the gas pedal, and you'll hear the engine roar. It's nice for a few minutes but will get tiring on a long trip. The transmission felt OK, I did forget that it was a CVT at first because it simulates gear shifts very convincingly.

Overall, the Honda is more spacious inside, maybe a little quicker, but it feels a lot less "premium", it feels cheaper, even though it's not, which was a bit of a let down as I had high hopes for this CR-V.

I am booking a second test drive for next Saturday, this time with my two kids (5 and 12), to see how they fit in the back and to get their input.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2017, 12:18:36 pm »
Last year I took a 2016 CX5 for a test drive.  Like you I found the power to be okay for everyday driving, but a bit on the gutless side when I accelerated to merge with the freeway traffic.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2017, 12:43:20 pm »
Looking forward to the Mazda event I'm going to in a couple weeks.
Testing a 2017 back to back with a 2016.5 and "a competitors vehicle".   Curious to see what that would be since Mazda is trying to move the CX-5 upscale a bit. 

The MX5 RF is also supposed to be there to drive, so that should be fun to rip around their track.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2017, 12:45:29 pm »
Well, to be clear, I didn't find it gutless, but you have to understand I come from a Kia Rondo, which is not exactly rocket fast.

The engine is the same as in the 2016 CX-5, but it is tuned differently to provide more acceleration in low RPMs. So it feels fast and peppy off the line. 0-100km/h should be around 7.5s, which is not bad for the category.

When overtaking, especially in Sport mode, you can hear the engine working a bit hard. And while Mazda claim they have improved soundproofing, you can hear it quite a bit. It is plenty powerful enough for me, but for those of us used to driving more powerful vehicles with turbos and V6 engines, it sure isn't going to rip their underpants off.

I think fuel efficiency is quite good, which of course I couldn't verify during the test drive, according to EPA ratings, it is only slightly worse than the CR-V.

And while the CR-V is equipped with a turbo (1.5L and 190hp vs. 2,5L and 187hp in the CX-5), it didn't feel that much more powerful but sounded just as loud and coarse, if not more. Torque numbers are similar as well.

As I said, I have to take the CX-5 on a second test drive. I didn't go far enough the first time, not enough to give me a good feel of that engine and the much praised handling.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2017, 12:49:27 pm »
Looking forward to the Mazda event I'm going to in a couple weeks.
Testing a 2017 back to back with a 2016.5 and "a competitors vehicle".   Curious to see what that would be since Mazda is trying to move the CX-5 upscale a bit. 

The MX5 RF is also supposed to be there to drive, so that should be fun to rip around their track.

Well, if you look at videos on Youtube, at the event organized by Mazda where reviewers drove the CX-5 and "equivalent" competitors, Mazda put it up against vehicles in the premium category : X1, GLA, Lexus NX, Q3. I'm sure it will be one of those at your event.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:51:18 pm by Niklasky »

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2017, 02:06:14 pm »
I'm comparing the CX-5 and the CR-V as they are the two vehicles I shortlisted. They are in the same budget range, similar size, power and equipment.

2017 Honda CR-V Touring AWD 1.5L Turbo :

CVT
Horsepower : 190 hp at 5,600 rpm
Torque : 179 lb/ft at 2,000 rpm

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 2.5L :

6-speed Auto
Horsepower : 187 hp at  6,000 rpm
Torque : 185 lb/ft at 4,000 rpm

So both vehicles offer similar equipment levels in a similar price range. While power and torque outputs are close, thanks to its turbo the CR-V reaches peak torque at only 2,000 rpm vs. 4,000 rpm for the CX-5. Similarly, peak power is attained at 5,600 rpm in the CR-V vs. 6,000 in the CX-5. This translates mainly into better fuel economy for the CR-V. Having said that, there is a bit of turbo lag in the CR-V, so while it may be faster from 0-100 km/h as it makes use of that low end torque, it doesn't feel more peppy off the line.

And the numbers only tell part of the story. How and what you feel behind the wheel is what really matters at the end of the day, and this is where the CX-5 performs better in my opinion, especially in the ride and handling department.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:19:34 pm by Niklasky »

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Infiniti Q50; RIP 2007 Mazdaspeed6
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2017, 12:37:42 pm »
My daily driver is a Mazdaspeed6, but my partner drives a 2016.5 CX-5.  The speed6 is a fun car to drive with a fair bit of grunt (nothing compared to a lot of other cars, I know...), but when I drive the CX-5, I never feel that it is under-powered.  Of course, I'd love for it to have more power, but it is fine on the highway and has no trouble with passing.

I was quite worried about the 2.5 engine until I drove it.  Now, I'm really happy with it.  It is a good vehicle and I'm glad we picked it over the others that we tried:  Honda CR-V (2016 model); Ford Escape; Hyundai Tuscon; and Kia Sportage.  My partner loves the CX-5 and has commented that she's now paying for most of the gas since we use her car around town more often than mine.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2017, 01:18:36 pm »
Yeah I agree. It's not underpowered, but we can all agree that a little bit more power would be nice, especially when Mazda has a great 2.5L Turbo in stock (CX-9).

Why not put it in the CX-5 ? Not sure why. Would it fit ? Is it a cost/price issue ? Don't know.

Anyhow, I think that Mazda has done a good job tuning the engine to give enough pick-up to zoom zoom around town.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2017, 01:28:19 pm »
Yeah I agree. It's not underpowered, but we can all agree that a little bit more power would be nice, especially when Mazda has a great 2.5L Turbo in stock (CX-9).

Why not put it in the CX-5 ? Not sure why. Would it fit ? Is it a cost/price issue ? Don't know.

Anyhow, I think that Mazda has done a good job tuning the engine to give enough pick-up to zoom zoom around town.

Probably don't want to cannibalize CX9 sales.  You want the big motor (in terms of output) you need to get the bigger car.

I might be driving a Mazda 6 right now if that turbo engine were available in it.  Loved everything about that car except the power.

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2017, 01:41:58 pm »

Probably don't want to cannibalize CX9 sales.  You want the big motor (in terms of output) you need to get the bigger car.

I might be driving a Mazda 6 right now if that turbo engine were available in it.  Loved everything about that car except the power.

So they don't want to cannibalize CX-9 sales, but in the process they put the sales of the CX-5 and 6 at risk, because like you, some people will turn to other brands for more power.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2017, 01:50:26 pm »
So they don't want to cannibalize CX-9 sales, but in the process they put the sales of the CX-5 and 6 at risk, because like you, some people will turn to other brands for more power.

People keep saying this but the reality is that the larger engines in these segments have very low take rates. I agree that offering the 2.5T in the CX-5 and 6 (and 3!) would be great but I can also understand why Mazda doesn't bother.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2017, 01:53:21 pm »

I love Dave Coleman.  No doubt you could sit for hours on end with this guy talking about $hit like pistons & knock resistance...
Also talks about throttle response etc. that they did with the CX5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMke4Fl4gyw

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2017, 02:25:36 pm »

So much for that... rumours are that a 7 seater CX-5 will be on sale soon... Its been announced in Australia... wonder how the engine will perform with 7 people and some stuff

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2017, 02:57:41 pm »

People keep saying this but the reality is that the larger engines in these segments have very low take rates. I agree that offering the 2.5T in the CX-5 and 6 (and 3!) would be great but I can also understand why Mazda doesn't bother.

True.  Yet in the case of midsize sedans, most manufacturers see a business case for offering uplevel power.  Perhaps in addition to those seeking to purchase the model with more punch, there is something of a halo effect in the mere existence of the option?  Whatever the case, the likes of Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia etc all over uplevel power in their midsize sedans and all massively outsell the Mazda.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2017, 03:12:56 pm »

True.  Yet in the case of midsize sedans, most manufacturers see a business case for offering uplevel power.  Perhaps in addition to those seeking to purchase the model with more punch, there is something of a halo effect in the mere existence of the option?  Whatever the case, the likes of Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia etc all over uplevel power in their midsize sedans and all massively outsell the Mazda.

Yeah. Even the Subaru Legacy is offered with an optional V6.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2017, 03:47:59 pm »

I love Dave Coleman.  No doubt you could sit for hours on end with this guy talking about $hit like pistons & knock resistance...
Also talks about throttle response etc. that they did with the CX5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMke4Fl4gyw
Thanks for that.  Agreed, I have seen him in a few videos and he is great to watch.  Explains complicated things in a manner that's easy to digest.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2017, 04:11:53 pm »

H6.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2017, 04:34:22 pm »

H6.

You are correct, my bad, it is a flat 6.