Author Topic: Has the Forester's time with us come to an end?  (Read 9531 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Has the Forester's time with us come to an end?
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2017, 10:28:52 pm »
Reading stuff like this makes me happy to have grown up poor.

Dad came to Canada first. Literally had to clean out everything and hock their stuff to afford the plane tickets and the piggybank to get rolling. I think it was $2000 in his pocket. My mom and I were remaining in China at the time. She sold my stroller (I was 2) for food money.

Obviously things are considerably better now but I do remember this feeling growing up of always being the poor kid. Some things stick.

I do put a significant effort, IMHO, into underspending my wealth and income. I'm afraid of ever losing the habit and the mindset....wealth is fleeting. It can all disappear in an instant.

I recall some years ago a thread where we ended up discussing spousal loans. I mentioned that I was making a $100k or 150k loan to my wife to take advantage of the tax differential. Someone asked me why, if I had "so much" cash floating around, was I driving a TL at the time? Well here is the context to the answer :)

PS: 150k isn't :censor:.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2017, 10:33:09 pm »

You'd :censor: yourself laughing if you knew what I made!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2017, 10:36:42 pm »
You have to remove the brake line to do the rear struts FFS.

I know.  Another "you sure Subaru didn't hire some Germans?" moment.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2017, 10:39:55 pm »

Funny...I think I said the same thing in the thread when I complained about it LOL.

Rock Auto has a complete caliper/rotor/pad kit for the Forester.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 11:22:41 pm »

Funny...I think I said the same thing in the thread when I complained about it LOL.

Rock Auto has a complete caliper/rotor/pad kit for the Forester.

If it's anything like my Outback getting the rear caliper mount off to change the rotor might be the show stopper.   The bolt head is a little rusty round thing in a recess.  I didn't feel like drilling it out so put on new cheap pads and let 'em grind.  I'll deal with it when it's warmer.  Hope yours turns out better.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2017, 11:29:38 pm »
Yep! One of my caliper bolts broke too.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2017, 11:51:32 pm »
Yup - last time i changed the calipers, same issue.  Expecting it again.  Another crap design that impedes repairs.  Under the hood there's lots of little things like that, as well as scattered around the car.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2017, 11:59:51 pm »
I'd guess strictly money-wise, you could likely get a vehicle for $3000 that is 10X better. From what remember with my old 510 and my old Mazda pickup, once a vehicle passes a certain point things break you didn't even think could!

But like you say, as a learning thing it would be different. Especially if you have time and inclination to help with the patching.

And there is not a lot of stress working on a junker. I used to take great relish in twisting off bolts on my first car, in front of my dad.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2017, 08:51:04 am »
If that was an Ontario car there would be nothing left but a pile of rust.

As long as you have faith in the old girl this plan makes sense.  The interior can get pretty remote, especially in crap weather, and I'd want to be trusting the car I'm in.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2017, 11:44:40 am »
She's landed a job at Sunshine Ski Resort in Banff for next year.  Being only 18, she didn't want to move to BC yet - the legal age there is 19, making it difficult for her to live on her own.  Can't go to the pub with the gang, can't go anywhere that involves signing a waiver, etc.  Ski hills in BC won't let you live in staff housing unless you're 19.  Just such a total PITA - so she decided to stay in Alberta.

Being only 430km away and close to a lot of our friends, I feel way more at ease about her taking the Forester.  If she were on her way to Revy, I would probably think differently.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2017, 11:52:39 am »
She's landed a job at Sunshine Ski Resort in Banff for next year.  Being only 18, she didn't want to move to BC yet - the legal age there is 19, making it difficult for her to live on her own.  Can't go to the pub with the gang, can't go anywhere that involves signing a waiver, etc.  Ski hills in BC won't let you live in staff housing unless you're 19.  Just such a total PITA - so she decided to stay in Alberta.

Being only 430km away and close to a lot of our friends, I feel way more at ease about her taking the Forester.  If she were on her way to Revy, I would probably think differently.

Sounds like you need to find one of these. But we all know that it impossible in that price range. People do not let go of them.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2017, 12:25:35 pm »

Not a bad place to work  :o

Read thru this whole thread yesterday, just never got around to commenting until now... and based on how close she's gonna be... fixing the Subaru seems like the most logical way to go. Annnndddddd, let her beat on it all summer & if it dies before the fall, then go shopping for that $3k car.

Also, I don't think you're being a d!ck by offering to spend $3k on her 1st car. Like many of you on here, my parents weren't well off either, they had a comfortable living by the time I was ~18 and their deal with me was how ever much I saved up for my 1st car, they'd match... so I got to $3k and spent $6k on my 1986 Mazda 323 in 1989. After that it was all on me, insurance, gas, brakes, tires, etc... they did buy me winter mats for Christmas though  :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2017, 12:34:47 pm »
May I suggest to following fix for the rear hatch issue ...

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2017, 12:35:32 pm »
May I suggest to following fix for the rear hatch issue ...

I'd buy it!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2017, 12:49:49 pm »

Read thru this whole thread yesterday, just never got around to commenting until now... and based on how close she's gonna be... fixing the Subaru seems like the most logical way to go. Annnndddddd, let her beat on it all summer & if it dies before the fall, then go shopping for that $3k car.

Also, I don't think you're being a d!ck by offering to spend $3k on her 1st car. Like many of you on here, my parents weren't well off either, they had a comfortable living by the time I was ~18 and their deal with me was how ever much I saved up for my 1st car, they'd match... so I got to $3k and spent $6k on my 1986 Mazda 323 in 1989. After that it was all on me, insurance, gas, brakes, tires, etc... they did buy me winter mats for Christmas though  :rofl2:
How much was a new Mazda 323 in '86 , maybe $6gs,
I bought a new plain Jane full size pick up for $10gs
So that means you got spoiled  :rofl:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2017, 01:20:03 pm »

How much was a new Mazda 323 in '86 , maybe $6gs,
I bought a new plain Jane full size pick up for $10gs
So that means you got spoiled  :rofl:

I think new in 86 they were close to $10k + taxes & sh!t. A brand new GTI was $9100 US at the time http://www.caranddriver.com/features/1986-10best-cars-1986-volkswagen-gti-page-11 and our dollar wasn't very strong in 86, like $1.38CDN to get $1US  :P

And I bought the car used in 89 with almost 70,000kms... which seems like a lotta coin for a used car now that I look back at it, but that was the price they were going for. No AC, crank windows, crank sunroof (boy was I cool), no power steering... never mind the rest of the crap we get these days... don't think I was too spoiled when others were getting brand new GTI's or 3 series BMW's   :rofl:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2017, 07:30:46 pm »

Dad came to Canada first. Literally had to clean out everything and hock their stuff to afford the plane tickets and the piggybank to get rolling. I think it was $2000 in his pocket. My mom and I were remaining in China at the time. She sold my stroller (I was 2) for food money.

Obviously things are considerably better now but I do remember this feeling growing up of always being the poor kid. Some things stick.

I do put a significant effort, IMHO, into underspending my wealth and income. I'm afraid of ever losing the habit and the mindset....wealth is fleeting. It can all disappear in an instant.

I recall some years ago a thread where we ended up discussing spousal loans. I mentioned that I was making a $100k or 150k loan to my wife to take advantage of the tax differential. Someone asked me why, if I had "so much" cash floating around, was I driving a TL at the time? Well here is the context to the answer :)

Well said.

I didn't grow up poor, quite the opposite honestly, but my dad was one to live well below his means. He was a high-level exec at one of the big oil companies, yet commuted in the same car (an 84 Camaro) he bought new for 21 years (84-05), and a base model V6 at that with crank windows and no A/C.....His peers all drove brand new German stuff, and teased him about the Camaro all the time. He didn't give a crap, just kept driving it and didn't stop until I needed a car; it became mine and he started driving the 95 STS (10 years old at the time) that my mom had (which is still his primary car today).

At home we had what we needed to live comfortably, my mom stayed home, but never anything in excess. Was his scrounging way more than necessary, probably. But he retired way early, enjoys his 10-15-ish vintage cars and travels with my mom - all without ever needing to worry about money....A great example of how living below your means can pay off later in life.

As far as help; his help was less about giving my brother and I money (or paying for stuff), rather he would help us make the money we needed/wanted. Want to make money? He'd help us buy a an old car, show us how to fix it, and then flip it. Awesome memories, and a skill that still serves me well today.

I try to live with the same values, although sometimes I worry I've gotten a bit soft. Between my wife and I we make great money, but knowing that we're planning for kids, and that she doesn't want to keep working forever, we penny pinch to sock away money for when she stops working and our combined income is lower. It's tough when most of the guys I work with are in brand new cars and fancy houses, or taking exotic vacations....But I am trying to stay the course. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2017, 07:39:22 pm »

I try to live with the same values, although sometimes I worry I've gotten a bit soft. Between my wife and I we make great money, but knowing that we're planning for kids, and that she doesn't want to keep working forever, we penny pinch to sock away money for when she stops working and our combined income is lower. It's tough when most of the guys I work with are in brand new cars and fancy houses, or taking exotic vacations....But I am trying to stay the course.

My wife and I stayed home together for two years and then she worked half time until my daughter started school and I stayed home full time during that time.  It was HELLA expensive, and worth 100x the cost.  We were fortunate that financially we were in a position to do that - but it also came down to decisions.  We bought a very modest home compared to my peers and similar things.  When the kid was coming, the 911 had to go...  no regrets.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »

Well said.

I didn't grow up poor, quite the opposite honestly, but my dad was one to live well below his means. He was a high-level exec at one of the big oil companies, yet commuted in the same car (an 84 Camaro) he bought new for 21 years (84-05), and a base model V6 at that with crank windows and no A/C.....His peers all drove brand new German stuff, and teased him about the Camaro all the time. He didn't give a crap, just kept driving it and didn't stop until I needed a car; it became mine and he started driving the 95 STS (10 years old at the time) that my mom had (which is still his primary car today).

At home we had what we needed to live comfortably, my mom stayed home, but never anything in excess. Was his scrounging way more than necessary, probably. But he retired way early, enjoys his 10-15-ish vintage cars and travels with my mom - all without ever needing to worry about money....A great example of how living below your means can pay off later in life.

As far as help; his help was less about giving my brother and I money (or paying for stuff), rather he would help us make the money we needed/wanted. Want to make money? He'd help us buy a an old car, show us how to fix it, and then flip it. Awesome memories, and a skill that still serves me well today.

The issue is the other people having exotic vacations, but you just have to focus on your plan.  Smile, nod, enjoy their fun, but stick to your an.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2017, 08:46:09 pm »
Quote from: tenpenny link=topic=98387.msg1263603#msg1263603
The issue is the other people having exotic vacations

Guess I'm lucky with this as I can't remember any trips coworkers took that I was envious of.

Also since most of our trips involves living in a tent, they are usually pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk