Author Topic: Worthwhile Thread, Because of Pics :)  (Read 6665 times)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Worthwhile Thread, Because of Pics :)
« on: March 03, 2017, 04:34:20 pm »
My replacement for the Verano Turbo. A 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport, TECH version with DCT.

Happy but at the same time it was bittersweet. Over many years of car buying, I can't recall keeping a newly bought car as long as I did with the Verano. A truly admirable and reliable first effort at near luxury by GM, who of course promptly cancelled the car altogether last year. Too bad, I had cash waiting for the second generation if it was better. That's GM for you. Buh by.

I love the look of the Elantra Sport, inside and out. It should age well for me, unlike some of the bold designs or boring designs out there. Admittedly, appearance is subjective and there's a reason more than one car is on sale in the marketplace ;)

From the outside, I particularly like the front quarter view and side view, and the wheels. I've always preferred multi spoke wheels.

On the inside, other than the lack of colour differences in the panels making it dark overall, I think the dash layout and controls are about perfect. No tablet crazy glued to the dash look, nice size (8”) screen integrated into the design, dials and buttons for everything! Plus redundant controls, bonus. Its like actually getting a car the way I want instead of paying and being forced to live with changed methods I never asked for!

I had to figure out how to work the NAV, first time owning that for me! Seems OK and logical so far, but so many options! And I gotta learn to talk to a car I guess, which I find pretty strange! Nav did work fine on the way home. The car drove great and passing cars was effortless.

I think this car is one of the better value for money buys in the market today. And my warranty coverage goes from expiring in 2 months to 5 years. Lower gas costs too. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: Worthwhile Thread, Because of Pics :)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 04:38:04 pm »
Boss! :cheers:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 04:49:48 pm »
Nice!  :thumbup:
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:04:30 pm »
Great buy! I really like the looks of this car inside and out. Looking forward to any updates on your thoughts down the road.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 05:19:44 pm »
Sharp looking car. Did you test drive it against any others?

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 05:46:48 pm »
Love it!

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 05:54:18 pm »
Nice  :thumbup: congrats and enjoy

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 06:18:29 pm »
Very nice and congrats!  :thumbup: :cheers:

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 07:00:01 pm »
Congratulations, I'm sure you're going to love it! If you have any questions on the specifics of how something works, feel free to PM me.

Pro tip: go into Setup, then Navigation, and scroll down under the "Display" section. One of the default options is "emphasize background" or something like that, but the one on the right is "emphasize roads." It darkens the map a bit making it easier to see the roads, easier on the eyes at night, and in my opinion more visually appealing. I also tend to use the red nav marker since the green one is pretty bright.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 07:11:08 pm »
Fantastic looking car man, congrats!!!   :thumbup: :thumbup:
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:56:26 pm »
Congratulations, I'm sure you're going to love it! If you have any questions on the specifics of how something works, feel free to PM me.

Pro tip: go into Setup, then Navigation, and scroll down under the "Display" section. One of the default options is "emphasize background" or something like that, but the one on the right is "emphasize roads." It darkens the map a bit making it easier to see the roads, easier on the eyes at night, and in my opinion more visually appealing. I also tend to use the red nav marker since the green one is pretty bright.

Thanks Patrick, I'll try that tomorrow. There are so many options here and there! I initially had trouble getting the hands free trunk opening and Homelink to work, but somehow figured those out.

Quadzilla, I'll definitely do that.

Arthur, most of my test drive time was spent in a higher snack bracket where I intended to lay out bags of cash.  ;) But then the folly of it all, the sticker shock, hit home.  Compact cars of the size I wanted costing twice as much as this one. And I had a bunch of personal preferences, was picky about not compromising, because I wasn't in a rush. There were few that "qualified" like this car did.

My favorite test drive was a BMW M235i with what I considered perfect engine, gearbox and suspension in harmony. But it cost double this car, and over $ 8k "initiation" via freight, pdi, admin fee, and GST before paying for the actual car, really got me resetting where I wanted the money to go. There were other things I didn't like too. Also looked at the Audi S3, turbo lag was a bit of a turn off but loved lots of things about it.

I won't go into every personal preference that eliminated lots of cars from consideration. Suffice it to say there are lots of good cars in the marketplace but for me, this one checked the boxes and delivered way more for the money than anything else could.   

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:00:58 pm »
Very nice car, I love the look of the new Elantra. Huyndai did a great job with that redesign. Enjoy!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 08:15:10 pm »
Great looking car, Doug. Happy motoring!
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 08:39:15 pm »
That is a very good looking compact. Congrats!

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 11:38:25 pm »
Congrats!   :thumbup:

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 12:59:34 am »
Congrats! Looks very sharp.  :cheers:
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 02:18:56 am »
Congratulations!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 07:42:50 am »
I thought when Hyundai redesigned the Elantra with this new style they took a step back.  The last one being so different than anything else out there.  But this...this looks good.  I likey.  Congrats and hope it does you well! 

Question - how was the Verano to drive in comparison?  Or I suppose how is this to drive compared to the Buick?  And are you going to miss the extra power it had? (Weren't they 260 hp or something? Lotta power for a little car)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 09:47:43 am »
congrats...looks like a sweet ride...i'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment from it...someone else in here has one of those as well...also interesting to note is the fact you cross shopped some premium products but chose this car in the end...i think that is a great compliment to Hyundai.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 10:09:41 am »
Congratulations!

I like the silver colour. (At least it looks silver in the images.) It makes the car look formal, but still sporty, if that makes sense. And I agree about the wheels. One aspect of many current generation sporty cars that I absolutely hate are the directional "bling" wheels.

Dave