Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 457242 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #4020 on: May 12, 2024, 01:02:10 pm »
The Ryker was objectively a lot of fun. More fun a $12-16k motorcycle? Not for me but other may choose differently. If you were motorcycle curious but did not want to go straight to two wheels, had an injury, poor sense of balance. I suppose it might be marginally safer than bike since it is unlikely to be laid down but the cornering limits are definitely lower. I certainly would not make fun of someone for choosing one.

The Spyder is a big comfy tourer. I can definitely see someone transitioning to one after big cruiser bike. Especially if they want to take a spouse. Its a more open than a convertible but less than most bikes. Probably like a fun dress Gold Wing that you can't tip over. Depends on your use case. What I did find was the Spyder was a bit over complicated for my taste with the weird start up process - turn key, accept warning on screen, blip throttle the wrong way, hold brake, press start button. We never did figure out how to get into reverse despite googling it. The turn signals were buried in a mess of buttons. Its probably fine if you own one.

Neither is for me but it was a blast to give it a try.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4021 on: May 12, 2024, 01:18:32 pm »
Quite a machine, so many interesting details!

Cheers. It's a barrel of laughs.

It looks fun just sitting there.

:cheers:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4022 on: May 12, 2024, 01:22:10 pm »
The Ryker was objectively a lot of fun. More fun a $12-16k motorcycle? Not for me but other may choose differently. If you were motorcycle curious but did not want to go straight to two wheels, had an injury, poor sense of balance. I suppose it might be marginally safer than bike since it is unlikely to be laid down but the cornering limits are definitely lower. I certainly would not make fun of someone for choosing one.

The Spyder is a big comfy tourer. I can definitely see someone transitioning to one after big cruiser bike. Especially if they want to take a spouse. Its a more open than a convertible but less than most bikes. Probably like a fun dress Gold Wing that you can't tip over. Depends on your use case. What I did find was the Spyder was a bit over complicated for my taste with the weird start up process - turn key, accept warning on screen, blip throttle the wrong way, hold brake, press start button. We never did figure out how to get into reverse despite googling it. The turn signals were buried in a mess of buttons. Its probably fine if you own one.

Interesting. I've never tried any of these things, but I see more than a few of them on the road. And there are always at least a couple on bike night. I doubt they're for me, but they definitely have their appeal.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4023 on: May 12, 2024, 02:09:56 pm »

Interesting. I've never tried any of these things, but I see more than a few of them on the road. And there are always at least a couple on bike night. I doubt they're for me, but they definitely have their appeal.

I see them fairly often, often it's a guy on a cruiser and his wife on a Can-am.   A friend with a wonky leg had one for a while, but after an operation is back on a bike.
Mr Pickypants

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4024 on: May 12, 2024, 03:45:58 pm »

I see them fairly often, often it's a guy on a cruiser and his wife on a Can-am.   A friend with a wonky leg had one for a while, but after an operation is back on a bike.

Yeah, that's how a buddy of mine does it. His wife didn't like either riding on the back or muscling around her own bike, but the Can-am seems to suit her just fine

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: May 12, 2024, 04:17:47 pm »

Ron here is your chance!.

Oh it's not for me, but I can see why people like them.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4026 on: May 13, 2024, 12:07:57 am »
I figured it out.

Ron is the guy with the helmet
The quad is the Can Am
KTM is the guy with the bat lol

warning for language and the rural US is awesome. :rofl2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5Y-_NBS78

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: May 13, 2024, 03:37:11 pm »
I figured it out.

Ron is the guy with the helmet
The quad is the Can Am
KTM is the guy with the bat lol

warning for language and the rural US is awesome. :rofl2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5Y-_NBS78

:rofl: :rofl2:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4028 on: May 14, 2024, 01:31:50 pm »

I test rode both the Ryker and the Spyder. The Ryker was a lot of fun, like street legal Mario Kart. The Spyder with it's clutchless sequential shifter I did not like. If I don't need to use a clutch, I usually don't associate a need to shift. I hope they still make the fully manual version. Either make it fully manual or fully automatic.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: May 15, 2024, 01:33:34 am »
I found the Spyder gearbox a little clunky as well unless you were shifting under power. The Spyder is sort of like the orthopaedic shoe of the bike world.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: May 15, 2024, 10:12:01 am »
I found the Spyder gearbox a little clunky as well unless you were shifting under power. The Spyder is sort of like the orthopaedic shoe of the bike world.

Well you are driving a lowered three wheeled quad.  ;D   Remember the Spyder is classified as a car, not a bike as the steering/handling dynamics have nothing to do with a 2 wheeled motorcycle. Perhaps it should be in it's own third category?

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #4031 on: May 15, 2024, 10:57:46 am »
There was a demo day and I took advantage to try out some Can Am three wheels. A Spyder and Ryker 900. The Spyder was $40K (!!) and was like a big comfy couch down the road. The Ryker was quite zippy and fun. Took a minute to adapt to three wheels. Felt a little unsteady at first. I ran over a (already) dead rabbit on the highway as its hard to avoid road obstacles. I am very happy to give them a try but no tempting to buy one.

My hometown is packed with them,  they were literally everywhere.   I was asking my friend if there was some kind of special event and nope.   Just packed with Can-am 3 wheelers.  A lot of Quebecer goes to the Acadian peninsula for holidays and lots of them had a Quebec license.

I can see why they are popular. Even my wife that has zero vehicle knowledge and thinks loud Porsches are annoying said  " I would like to drive one of those"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 11:00:44 am by WP v3.32 »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4032 on: May 15, 2024, 11:03:44 am »
There was a demo day and I took advantage to try out some Can Am three wheels. A Spyder and Ryker 900. The Spyder was $40K (!!) and was like a big comfy couch down the road. The Ryker was quite zippy and fun. Took a minute to adapt to three wheels. Felt a little unsteady at first. I ran over a (already) dead rabbit on the highway as its hard to avoid road obstacles. I am very happy to give them a try but no tempting to buy one.

My hometown is packed with them,  they were literally everywhere.   I was asking my friend if there was some kind of special event and nope.   Just packed with Can-am 3 wheelers.  A lot of Quebecer goes to the Acadian peninsula for holidays and lots of them had a Quebec license.

I can see why they are popular. Even my wife that has zero vehicle knowledge and thinks loud Porsches are annoying said  " I would like to drive one of those"

Snowmobilers like them, it's similar, lots of snowmobilers in Quebec and NB. 
Also, you don't need a motorcycle license for them, no special skills required.

I've signed up for a demo next month

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #4033 on: May 15, 2024, 11:09:26 am »

They do look fun, I mean not as fun as a real bike but I can see why people like them.

plus   Quebec = Canam(Bombardier)   just like America = Harley

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: May 15, 2024, 11:22:12 am »

They do look fun, I mean not as fun as a real bike but I can see why people like them.

plus   Quebec = Canam(Bombardier)   just like America = Harley

Makes sense. Have been back and forth to BC three times this spring riding and have yet to see one on the road. Will post when I finally see one.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: May 15, 2024, 12:29:16 pm »

Can-Am says a motorcycle license with a three wheel endorsement is required in all provinces and territories. Two wheeled motorcycle license holders may also ride them.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/ca/en/learn-to-ride/license-requirements.html

I don't recall that specific quirk. I'd probably get used to it. The lack of wind noise and stereo system was neat.

They don't make fully manual Spyders anymore. Older manuals occasionally pop up on buy and sell places.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: May 15, 2024, 01:04:00 pm »

Can-Am says a motorcycle license with a three wheel endorsement is required in all provinces and territories. Two wheeled motorcycle license holders may also ride them.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/ca/en/learn-to-ride/license-requirements.html

I've never heard of a three wheel endorsement.   
Here's what exists on the Service Ontario website:

Driver requirements
To drive a three-wheeled vehicle you must:

have a full class G class driver’s licence, or an A, B, C, D, E or F driver’s licence.
wear an approved motorcycle safety helmet
wear a seat belt
register your three-wheeled vehicle as a motorcycle and pay the corresponding fee

Edit:  Looks like a three-wheeled vehicle is not a motor tricycle, there is indeed a restricted motorcycle license for them:  M with condition M (includes M1 and M2-M): for three-wheeled motorcycles.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 01:09:16 pm by blur911 »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: May 16, 2024, 11:34:15 am »
Polaris Slingshot would be considered a three-wheeled vehicle so just a G license would work, although motorcycle helmets are required.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/three-wheeled-vehicles

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: May 16, 2024, 12:13:25 pm »
I would not want to drive/ride out without a helmet.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: May 16, 2024, 12:22:00 pm »
Only BC allows riding a Slingshot without a helmet. I saw one person operating a Slingshot without a helmet when I was in BC picking up my 5, the windscreen does not cover the face at all and I don't know if the standard automotive seatbelt would do a lot to restrain the riders in the event of a roll over. Add to the fact motorcycles are not required to be crash rated and this is very much the definition of death trap.

Not that motorcycles and trikes are better but there's at least the ability to bail.