Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 457350 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #3900 on: November 01, 2023, 03:33:26 pm »
This on other hand looks like a win to me:

First Drive: Our Favorite New Honda Costs Less Than an Apple iPhone

The Motocompacto doesn't give you a chance to wonder if you look silly riding it because it's just that fun to ride. If the Motocompacto doesn't put a grin on your face after the first few moments then we'd recommend checking your pulse.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/honda-motocompacto-specs-first-ride-review/

Gotta say, I'd love to give that a try!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: November 01, 2023, 04:23:49 pm »

The Motocompacto doesn't give you a chance to wonder if you look silly riding it because it's just that fun to ride. If the Motocompacto doesn't put a grin on your face after the first few moments then we'd recommend checking your pulse.

I posted about this the day it was announced...And I'm on the wait list!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3902 on: November 01, 2023, 04:54:30 pm »
What are people's thoughts on this new offering from Kawasaki?

https://www.kawasaki.eu/en/Motorcycles/EV_HEV/Ninja_7_Hybrid.html#productspecifications-78c4964e4d-item-15d93c6761-tab

So basically it's a low displacement sports bike with some hybrid technology.  They claim that the acceleration would rival a 1,000cc bike's due to the low end power that the electric motor generates.  The issue as I see it is the extra weight due to the added tech, so a 400cc Ninja is about 134 pounds lighter, that's not insignificant.

Why not just buy the 1000cc bike?
I would think that insurance would be lower, obviously gas would be less, and of course to virtue signal.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3903 on: November 01, 2023, 04:56:07 pm »

Considering the price and cool factor, I can see quite a few people choosing this over a stand up e-scooter.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3904 on: November 01, 2023, 05:49:26 pm »

https://www.kawasaki.eu/en/Motorcycles/EV_HEV/Ninja_7_Hybrid.html#productspecifications-78c4964e4d-item-15d93c6761-tab

So basically it's a low displacement sports bike with some hybrid technology.  They claim that the acceleration would rival a 1,000cc bike's due to the low end power that the electric motor generates.  The issue as I see it is the extra weight due to the added tech, so a 400cc Ninja is about 134 pounds lighter, that's not insignificant.

I would think that insurance would be lower, obviously gas would be less, and of course to virtue signal.

Not sure about insurance being lower, with equivalent power.  Yes to gas, but that's a "who cares" element for most riders I know.  And lol, yeah, I suppose.  :rofl2:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: November 01, 2023, 06:15:25 pm »

Not sure about insurance being lower, with equivalent power.  Yes to gas, but that's a "who cares" element for most riders I know.  And lol, yeah, I suppose.  :rofl2:
Is the displacement of the engine one of the main things that determines insurance premiums?  In which case I would assume this 450cc motorcycle would have significantly cheaper premium when compared to a 1,000cc sport bike.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: November 01, 2023, 06:34:49 pm »

Is the displacement of the engine one of the main things that determines insurance premiums?  In which case I would assume this 450cc motorcycle would have significantly cheaper premium when compared to a 1,000cc sport bike.

Yes, but that matters because larger displacement generally equates with more power.  Insurance companies aren't dumb.  If it's making the same power by different means, it engages the same risk factors.  Asssuming we are talking about the same category of bike with these engines. 1000cc sport bike and 1000cc cruiser attract very different rates.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 06:45:41 pm by Jaeger »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3907 on: November 01, 2023, 07:09:45 pm »

Considering the price and cool factor, I can see quite a few people choosing this over a stand up e-scooter.

What advantages does it have over a standing scooter? Are people that lazy? Perhaps they are.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: November 01, 2023, 10:17:43 pm »

What advantages does it have over a standing scooter? Are people that lazy? Perhaps they are.

My e-scooter feels sketchy a bit. I think it's definitely not for everyone.

This seems safer and more approachable.

I just think it's techno cool!! I want one!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: November 02, 2023, 07:12:03 am »

Yes, but that matters because larger displacement generally equates with more power.  Insurance companies aren't dumb.  If it's making the same power by different means, it engages the same risk factors.  Asssuming we are talking about the same category of bike with these engines. 1000cc sport bike and 1000cc cruiser attract very different rates.
I think you assume a bit too much from the Insurance company.  My Golf R was cheaper to insure than a GTI or a regular fully loaded Golf.  Plus the HP wouldn't be the same as a 1000cc, it's only 12hp more than a regular 450cc bike, so if you were looking at real Hp numbers it would be closer to 600cc level.  The reason it accelerates like a 1000cc bike from a stop is because that 12hp is instant and you don't have to get up over 10,000rpm to get full beans. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3910 on: November 02, 2023, 09:21:46 am »

I think you assume a bit too much from the Insurance company.  My Golf R was cheaper to insure than a GTI or a regular fully loaded Golf.  Plus the HP wouldn't be the same as a 1000cc, it's only 12hp more than a regular 450cc bike, so if you were looking at real Hp numbers it would be closer to 600cc level.  The reason it accelerates like a 1000cc bike from a stop is because that 12hp is instant and you don't have to get up over 10,000rpm to get full beans.

Good point. They might not care if it accelerates faster from a stop, more about about the top speeds the megabikes have

If so that would be huge in some jurisdictions where 1000cc bikes are basically unaffordable to insure

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: November 02, 2023, 12:11:10 pm »

Ah - I thought they were making comparable power.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #3912 on: November 02, 2023, 03:32:50 pm »
I asked the question way back when I bought the BMW (1150cc)  the lady on the phone told  it's a combination of things.   the BMW was very cheap compared to other bikes the same size, I think it was around half the amount.
she said it was roughly this calculation
-the total mileage driven of the bike model  VS amount of claim ratio (very low on BMW touring vs very high on crotch rocket)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: November 02, 2023, 04:23:50 pm »
I asked the question way back when I bought the BMW (1150cc)  the lady on the phone told  it's a combination of things.   the BMW was very cheap compared to other bikes the same size, I think it was around half the amount.
she said it was roughly this calculation
-the total mileage driven of the bike model  VS amount of claim ratio (very low on BMW touring vs very high on crotch rocket)

Yup - which is why the type of bike matters most.  A 600cc supersport will attract a WAY higher premium than an 1800cc bagger.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: November 04, 2023, 04:17:46 pm »
Any riding season that extends into November is a total win in my books.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3915 on: November 04, 2023, 04:39:44 pm »

What's the temp?

I still love that exhaust header.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: November 04, 2023, 06:39:58 pm »

What's the temp?

I still love that exhaust header.

Thanks man. It was 10 degrees at its warmest today, but overcast and wet from earlier rain.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3917 on: November 10, 2023, 02:43:51 pm »
Not sure if I should put this here or in the cycling thread, but I'll put it here. 

Love this.  Why are bicycles as expensive as motorcycles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS9ugdl1FZc

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3918 on: November 10, 2023, 02:52:00 pm »
Still can't watch the Fortnine host.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3919 on: November 10, 2023, 02:54:49 pm »
Still can't watch the Fortnine host.

The D.O.D. guy is really good though, and luckily, he's kinda the most important part of the video, as it's him explaining why bikes cost so much.