Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 457386 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #3860 on: October 24, 2023, 12:01:57 pm »
I figure you can just tell by feel and exhaust note . A you open the throttle you figure out real quick that you are going to need to drop a gear (or two  ;D)?

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #3861 on: October 24, 2023, 12:07:14 pm »
I've gotten into watching episodes of Succession on flights (since I don't have HBO at home).  Anyway, I was amused to see one of the main characters forgoing his usual S-Class limo to be chauffeured around on a Goldwing in Season 2. 

Kind of a neat idea for those who need to get through Manhattan's traffic in a hurry I guess.

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3862 on: October 24, 2023, 12:14:25 pm »
I figure you can just tell by feel and exhaust note . A you open the throttle you figure out real quick that you are going to need to drop a gear (or two  ;D)?

Okay - it's super easy for you, and your awesomeness is manifest. All hail.  ;D

But my wife is a new rider and likes the reassurance of glancing down and seeing what gear she's in.  Not very hardcore, but she's not trying to be.  ;D  Given that gear indicators are standard equipment on a TON of motorcycles these days, it's safe to say she's not alone in her preference.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 12:17:52 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3863 on: October 24, 2023, 12:19:52 pm »
I was just gonna point that out - probably not even that easy for a newer rider to know what gear they're in. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3864 on: October 24, 2023, 12:20:31 pm »
I've gotten into watching episodes of Succession on flights (since I don't have HBO at home).  Anyway, I was amused to see one of the main characters forgoing his usual S-Class limo to be chauffeured around on a Goldwing in Season 2. 

Kind of a neat idea for those who need to get through Manhattan's traffic in a hurry I guess.

That's cool.  :winner: I watched that show for a while then kind of lost interest.  Enjoyed it for a bit, but it eventually turned into same @#$%, different day.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3865 on: October 24, 2023, 12:22:55 pm »

That's cool.  :winner: I watched that show for a while then kind of lost interest.  Enjoyed it for a bit, but it eventually turned into same @#$%, different day.

I do get turned off by TV shows that start off good, but then get formulaic after a few seasons.  Shameless was like that for me.  Really enjoyed the first few seasons - stopped watching after four.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: October 24, 2023, 12:27:19 pm »

I do get turned off by TV shows that start off good, but then get formulaic after a few seasons.  Shameless was like that for me.  Really enjoyed the first few seasons - stopped watching after four.

Yup - it happens a lot.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3867 on: October 24, 2023, 12:31:02 pm »
I was just gonna point that out - probably not even that easy for a newer rider to know what gear they're in.

I'm always looking for 6th on my DRZ. ;D
I don't think I've ever ridden a bike with a gear indicator.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: October 24, 2023, 12:39:45 pm »

My CB650R has it - and I can't think of a class competitor that doesn't - Kawi Z650, Trident 660, MT07 etc.  What's your most current road bike - that could explain things.  ;D

Don't get me started on bikes that have no fuel gauge.  :rofl2:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #3869 on: October 24, 2023, 12:44:36 pm »

My CB650R has it - and I can't think of a class competitor that doesn't - Kawi Z650, Trident 660, MT07 etc.  What's your most current road bike - that could explain things.  ;D

My 2006 ZZR-600 had no gear indicator & no fuel gauge either. Reset the trip meter when you fill up & then you gotta rough idea on how far you could go. Now if you're really ripping on it that mileage was A LOT less. Once it would sputter you'd reach down on the left & turn the fuel petcock over to reserve & stop at the next gas station. Never ran out, but certainly came close.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3870 on: October 24, 2023, 12:45:34 pm »

But my wife is a new rider and likes the reassurance of glancing down and seeing what gear she's in.  Not very hardcore, but she's not trying to be.  ;D  Given that gear indicators are standard equipment on a TON of motorcycles these days, it's safe to say she's not alone in her preference.

I guess I am confused, how does knowing what gear you are in help? Sluggish response or the sound of the engine about to explode are better indications of what's going on? Glancing down for confirmation seems like a worse idea?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3871 on: October 24, 2023, 12:50:26 pm »

Your bikes probably even have tachometers too...my BMW doesn't even have a key.
The fuel gauge consists of it flashing "FUEL" on the tiny LCD dash you never look at, then you run out about 10km later.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3872 on: October 24, 2023, 01:01:28 pm »

I guess I am confused, how does knowing what gear you are in help? Sluggish response or the sound of the engine about to explode are better indications of what's going on? Glancing down for confirmation seems like a worse idea?

You can avoid that happening, is the nice part. Put one on my Vstrom and while it's not something you need, it's a useful farkle

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: October 24, 2023, 01:12:39 pm »

My 2006 ZZR-600 had no gear indicator & no fuel gauge either. Reset the trip meter when you fill up & then you gotta rough idea on how far you could go. Now if you're really ripping on it that mileage was A LOT less. Once it would sputter you'd reach down on the left & turn the fuel petcock over to reserve & stop at the next gas station. Never ran out, but certainly came close.

There's been quite a lot of change in standard tech since 2006.  ;D Absence of a fuel gauge absolutely baffles me, though. That's not new tech. It's not expensive tech. I can't see a single downside to including it. Those who still want to log their mileage at fill-ups and then do math aren't prevented from doing so.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: October 24, 2023, 01:22:40 pm »

Your bikes probably even have tachometers too...my BMW doesn't even have a key.
The fuel gauge consists of it flashing "FUEL" on the tiny LCD dash you never look at, then you run out about 10km later.

Well mine has a tach, hers doesn't. So far she has expressed that she's missing not having a tach exactly 0%.  I do like to know when I'm approaching 11k rpm, but to be fair, the ungodly howl does give me a hint.  ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #3875 on: October 24, 2023, 01:43:06 pm »

There's been quite a lot of change in standard tech since 2006.  ;D Absence of a fuel gauge absolutely baffles me, though. That's not new tech. It's not expensive tech. I can't see a single downside to including it. Those who still want to log their mileage at fill-ups and then do math aren't prevented from doing so.
Funny part is that my 1996 ZX-6E had a fuel gauge & then when I got the 2006 it didn't have one :rofl: Guessing it was all part of saving weight overall though, as the 96 had a centre stand as well, while the 06 didn't.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3876 on: October 24, 2023, 02:01:41 pm »

Yeah, I remember some nerve wracking episodes with my '82 Vision when I didn't fuel up when I should. Turns out the reserve would take you a long way on that bike if you slow down and get real gentle on the throttle. Plenty of time to think about maybe not pulling a Kramer

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: October 24, 2023, 03:57:46 pm »

Funny part is that my 1996 ZX-6E had a fuel gauge & then when I got the 2006 it didn't have one :rofl: Guessing it was all part of saving weight overall though, as the 96 had a centre stand as well, while the 06 didn't.

:cheers:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: October 28, 2023, 07:14:33 am »
Got out for a quick rip yesterday.  Well past peak colours but it was still a nice glimpse of the last of the season.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3879 on: October 28, 2023, 11:06:46 am »
Got out for a quick rip yesterday.  Well past peak colours but it was still a nice glimpse of the last of the season.

Looks like it was a fabulous day.

How careful do you have to be of leaves on the road?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson