Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 457479 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #3720 on: August 02, 2023, 01:59:01 pm »
Being scared shitless is normal at the beginning. Takes a while to get comfortable. But don't get too comfortable.

I used helmet communicators with earplugs and it was fine. Just turn up the volume a bit. Ear plugs are key on the highway. You will quickly wreak your hearing otherwise.

City riding is less fun in general I think. Try a winding secondary road. You feel the temperature changes, smell the smells, etc even more so than a convertible.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3721 on: August 02, 2023, 01:59:25 pm »
I don't get the appeal of on-road riding either, especially highway/freeway stuff. I do love being on backroads though on a bike, offroad is even better. For me the less pavement my bike wheels see the better. There are endless amounts or gravel/dirt offerings.

Unless you're talking the Pacific Coast Highway or some high pass throgh the Rockies, highway riding is boring AF.  I don't really get the appeal of off-road riding, but I don't struggle with the concept that different people have different preferences and enjoy different things.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 02:20:25 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3722 on: August 02, 2023, 02:13:08 pm »
What I like is that off road (trail and forest service roads)  you can basically ride in a style that would get you tickets and or incarcerated. Riding on the street using maybe 10% of the bikes capability you are breaking the law, for me it's that simple. I do slab ride but even on my  lowly dual sports running full knobs it doesn't take much to exceed the speed limit. If I rode a ton on road something like a monkey would be perfect. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3723 on: August 02, 2023, 02:20:01 pm »
so i've been practicing riding around neighborhood every 2~3 days for a while now.

i feel more comfortable on the bike.

still scared sh1tless in high speed heavy traffic.  like the other day, going downhill on 70km/h road, this jackhole in blue toyota was tailgating me... thankfully disappeared into traffic as we merged onto another road.

anyway, question for you guys.  how do those helmet communicators work?  i have to wear ear plugs cuz my helmet's loud at 70+, so do these helmet communicators just blast sound with speakers inside the helmet, and you can hear over the wind noise and ear plugs?   

do noise cancelling earphones work instead?

another thing, i'll try riding for a while yet, but unfortunately, i have not found feeling of excitement or freedom in riding.  more a chore than fun. 
i think it may be partly due to having relatively fast-ish convertible, cuz i can just pop out in flip flops and shorts, listening to V8 noise, exposed to sky while going faster than my cruiser bike and being way more comfortable.   maybe if i started riding when i was younger, i would feel differently about?..  not sure but something i ponder about lately.

Did you take the course?  That can go a long way to helping you feel confident handling the bike, but you only get comfortable riding in traffic by riding in traffic.  Being scared shitless at the outset is pretty common.  I don't feel that way at all now.  Definitely wary - that's essential - but not scared.  My wife is in the stage where traffic still makes her a bit nervous, but she's come a long way in that regard just in her first season.

As for enjoyment, if you don't love it then you don't love it.  I do love it - and I definitely didn't start young - lol!  Riding motorcycles has made cars seem comparatively boring to me - and I've never found a particularly increased enjoyment from convertibles in the past.  Different strokes. It's a bit of a faff dealing with all the gear all the time, but I literally get off the motorcycle and can't wait for my next ride.  Having nice country roads close by definitely helps.  And having friends who ride is a HUGE contribution to my enjoyment of motorcycling.  Bike meets and such are also a big part of it - the rider community is pretty awesome.  And having my wife as a frequent riding partner is the best thing of all.

Different type of bike could bring a different type of experience.  And off road riding is a huge draw for many.  If I found a personal leisure activity more of a chore than fun, I probably wouldn't be doing that activity for long.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: August 02, 2023, 02:27:16 pm »
What I like is that off road (trail and forest service roads)  you can basically ride in a style that would get you tickets and or incarcerated. Riding on the street using maybe 10% of the bikes capability you are breaking the law, for me it's that simple. I do slab ride but even on my  lowly dual sports running full knobs it doesn't take much to exceed the speed limit. If I rode a ton on road something like a monkey would be perfect.

The Monkey is a giggle fest any speed, any time, anywhere.  Percentage of vehicle capability used is a fair criticism to a point - but that point is reached fairly quickly.  More important is how much you are enjoying the percentage you do access.  Because by the percentage criterion, no performance car makes any sense at all.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #3725 on: August 02, 2023, 02:58:40 pm »

so i've been practicing riding around neighborhood every 2~3 days for a while now.

i feel more comfortable on the bike.

still scared sh1tless in high speed heavy traffic.  like the other day, going downhill on 70km/h road, this jackhole in blue toyota was tailgating me... thankfully disappeared into traffic as we merged onto another road.

anyway, question for you guys.  how do those helmet communicators work?  i have to wear ear plugs cuz my helmet's loud at 70+, so do these helmet communicators just blast sound with speakers inside the helmet, and you can hear over the wind noise and ear plugs?   

do noise cancelling earphones work instead?

another thing, i'll try riding for a while yet, but unfortunately, i have not found feeling of excitement or freedom in riding.  more a chore than fun. 
i think it may be partly due to having relatively fast-ish convertible, cuz i can just pop out in flip flops and shorts, listening to V8 noise, exposed to sky while going faster than my cruiser bike and being way more comfortable.   maybe if i started riding when i was younger, i would feel differently about?..  not sure but something i ponder about lately.

I do understand the "chore" feeling you're getting. I was the same with my last bike, especially when I'd ride it to work. Gear up, pack everything up for work (shoes, etc), get the bike outta the  garage, 10mins later at work... just wasn't worth it. Weekend rides were nice, but then started golfing more & can't carry the clubs. Sold the bike, got the Wrangler & the Porsche 951 shortly afterwards, problem solved :rofl:

I still look at bikes & boats, but just don't think they suit my lifestyle at the moment. Once they do again, then maybe I'll pick one of each up.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3726 on: August 02, 2023, 05:13:33 pm »
thanks for your input guys.

I did take motorcycle class to learn how to ride.  though obviously as beginner, i suck at it still.

maybe if i get better, i'll enjoy it more. 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3727 on: August 02, 2023, 05:25:39 pm »
It took me a few good months to get to the point where I could relax a bit and not feel like I was dying every second. Driving through traffic, you still taking your life in your hands. Whether its some teenage girl on instagram or some BMW/Dodge Ram type that thinks mirrors are for weak people, danger is everywhere. I love taking my bike to work, but I hate having to put up with traffic.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3728 on: August 02, 2023, 05:45:41 pm »
It took me a few good months to get to the point where I could relax a bit and not feel like I was dying every second. Driving through traffic, you still taking your life in your hands. Whether its some teenage girl on instagram or some BMW/Dodge Ram type that thinks mirrors are for weak people, danger is everywhere. I love taking my bike to work, but I hate having to put up with traffic.

All of that is why I now prefer off-roading.   Plus it's legal to pull wheelies as often as possible.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: August 02, 2023, 08:39:09 pm »

I did take motorcycle class to learn how to ride.  though obviously as beginner, i suck at it still.

In the beginning when you're still having to think about your inputs quite a bit, it's less fun. When all that becomes more natural, it's a lot more fun. And if you're managing to maneuver your bike from A to B and back to A, you don't suck at it. You're just new.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: August 03, 2023, 12:12:26 am »

You will get used to it.

I think in your case, part of the problem is you've started off with a rather large and cumbersome motorcycle (IIRC)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: August 03, 2023, 12:16:02 am »

I don't get the appeal of on-road riding either, especially highway/freeway stuff.

Because it's "better" than highway/freeway stuff in a car for many. Highway driving in a car isn't terribly exciting either.

I drove 100+ consecutive days to work (rain, shine, snow) just because. And ultimately it was more enjoyable than the same commute in my car.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: August 03, 2023, 01:18:44 am »

The Monkey is a giggle fest any speed, any time, anywhere.  Percentage of vehicle capability used is a fair criticism to a point - but that point is reached fairly quickly.  More important is how much you are enjoying the percentage you do access.  Because by the percentage criterion, no performance car makes any sense at all.

Exactly. No tracks near here so no chance to use a performance car. Therefore KTM no has one.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3733 on: August 03, 2023, 09:32:12 am »

Exactly. No tracks near here so no chance to use a performance car. Therefore KTM no has one.

Rocky Mountain motorsports park opened 20 min north of calgary though.  technically ~50 min from where I am..
though i heard it's private park and is pretty expensive to use, i think TooCool motorcycle advanced riding class is held there.  i'm planning to attend the class next year.  we shall see if i still ride by then.  ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: August 03, 2023, 11:00:31 am »

Rocky Mountain motorsports park opened 20 min north of calgary though.  technically ~50 min from where I am..
though i heard it's private park and is pretty expensive to use, i think TooCool motorcycle advanced riding class is held there.  i'm planning to attend the class next year.  we shall see if i still ride by then.  ;D

I haven't gotten up there to have a look yet. Way to long with no facilities here. I really really miss the drag strip and the friday night fun drags. Bring a helmet and $10 and have at it all night on a 1/4 mile strip.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: August 03, 2023, 02:19:08 pm »
If possible try to get a course at a motorcross park. Riding a simple dirt bike on a track will throw more situations at you in 2 minutes than you will experience in a season of street riding. Locking the front, sliding the rear, steering into a skid will become so commonplace you will be 100% relaxed on the street. Then you just have to worry about everything trying to kill you.   ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: August 10, 2023, 08:05:11 pm »
Prayers have been answered. It rained hard in BC the last couple days. Fires beaten back and little smoke currently. Hitting up the interior for 5 days of backcountry adventure. Giddy Up.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: August 11, 2023, 06:16:07 am »
Prayers have been answered. It rained hard in BC the last couple days. Fires beaten back and little smoke currently. Hitting up the interior for 5 days of backcountry adventure. Giddy Up.

Enjoy!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: August 15, 2023, 12:34:09 am »
Random man on top of a mountain  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: August 15, 2023, 06:37:13 am »
Noice.  :winner: