Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 457886 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #3200 on: May 14, 2022, 10:26:22 am »
Went on the highway for the first time this morning. Wind blast at 120 was manageable, but I have no idea how people wind out naked bikes to 250 plus and not get peeled right off the back.  :o
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3201 on: May 29, 2022, 10:06:10 am »
Awesome ride out in the country this morning.  PERFECT weather.  Cool, clear and little traffic.

Funny how I have all but forgottem about the Trident, which was my number one purchase intention for so long.  Yet every time I come across one of these, I still kinda get the wants.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3202 on: May 29, 2022, 12:02:30 pm »
I rode a bike while at my BIL's in Calgary.  Nothing fancy, just an old Honda 250 cruiser.  Took it around the block a few times, hit 4th gear.  I don't have my license, and the bike didn't have plates, so I couldn't go further than that, but I think I'm hooked.  I'm going to have to start looking at getting my M license, and looking for a cheap 500CC motorcycle.  A 250 wouldn't do it for me, not because it doesn't have enough power, but because a 250 doesn't have heavy enough springs to support a 190lb dude - I was constantly bottoming out on it.  BIL says a 500 would be a perfect compromise of low power, yet big enough to support me.

BTW, my BIL has a beautiful Ducati Monster 1200 sitting in his garage right next to the 250....  He's no stranger to motorcycles.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: May 29, 2022, 12:42:52 pm »
I rode a bike while at my BIL's in Calgary.  Nothing fancy, just an old Honda 250 cruiser.  Took it around the block a few times, hit 4th gear.  I don't have my license, and the bike didn't have plates, so I couldn't go further than that, but I think I'm hooked.  I'm going to have to start looking at getting my M license, and looking for a cheap 500CC motorcycle.  A 250 wouldn't do it for me, not because it doesn't have enough power, but because a 250 doesn't have heavy enough springs to support a 190lb dude - I was constantly bottoming out on it.  BIL says a 500 would be a perfect compromise of low power, yet big enough to support me.

BTW, my BIL has a beautiful Ducati Monster 1200 sitting in his garage right next to the 250....  He's no stranger to motorcycles.

Sweet! I look forward to seeing your journey unfold.  Is it a cruiser-type bike that appeals to you, or that's just what you happened to ride? That style of bike tends to have minimal rear suspension travel to begin with.  Do you currently have your M2?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3204 on: May 29, 2022, 01:16:47 pm »

Cool.
A 400cc dual-sport or ADV bike would be a good place to start if you have access to back roads or trails.
Mr Pickypants

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: May 29, 2022, 02:23:10 pm »
Whatever I find will have to be older, due to low cost.  If I can find one, I'd love a standard bike.  If not, I feel like a Japanese cruiser would be the most common/easiest to find.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: May 29, 2022, 02:24:47 pm »
Either way, I'm going to have to wait for COVID motorcycle pricing to subside.  I can at least work on getting my class 6.  (Manitoba's version of an M)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3207 on: May 29, 2022, 02:53:20 pm »
Whatever I find will have to be older, due to low cost.  If I can find one, I'd love a standard bike.  If not, I feel like a Japanese cruiser would be the most common/easiest to find.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: May 29, 2022, 03:59:03 pm »
The Japanese cruisers seem to go for pennies on the dollar. Older can be tough to find parts sometimes. Also fuel injection is generally better than carbs.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3209 on: May 29, 2022, 06:31:40 pm »

Don't get hung up suspension. If you are over 200lbs (with gear) it is best to respring the bike so that whatever suspension the bike does have is at least riding in the proper part of the travel. A 250 with heavy springs would be just fine.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3210 on: May 29, 2022, 06:45:29 pm »

Don't get hung up suspension. If you are over 200lbs (with gear) it is best to respring the bike so that whatever suspension the bike does have is at least riding in the proper part of the travel. A 250 with heavy springs would be just fine.

Ah, see, I didn't know you could respring.  I asked my BIL if it was possible, and he didn't think so - kept on telling me that a 500CC would be my best bet. 

I'm gonna need TONS of pointers.  I have zero clue what to look for when the time comes.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3211 on: May 29, 2022, 07:12:40 pm »

Ah, see, I didn't know you could respring.  I asked my BIL if it was possible, and he didn't think so - kept on telling me that a 500CC would be my best bet. 

I'm gonna need TONS of pointers.  I have zero clue what to look for when the time comes.

You need this:  https://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/winnipeg/bmw-r1100gs/1617971911   ;D

Pickings look slim in Manitoba, what kind of riding do you think you'd like?
Which of these appeal to you?  They're cheap-ish bikes in Manitoba

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1618443359  2004 KLR650

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/winnipeg/1990-yamaha-dt200r/1617009317  Hmm, a 2-stroke

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/winnipeg/kawasaki-z1000-y-2003/1617034233  Power wheelies

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1617986998  1975 Honda Cb200t that has a 09 kx250f engine swap

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/winnipeg/2009-honda-shadow/1616166985?undefined
  Shadow 750 cruiser

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: May 29, 2022, 07:16:58 pm »

Low tech cruisers don't have a lot of power for the displacement.  A 500 Shadow is pretty benign.
Are there any insurance issues in Manitoba with regard to displacement or crazy-ass pricing on anything deemed "sporty"?  Limits for new riders?

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: May 29, 2022, 07:44:40 pm »

Low tech cruisers don't have a lot of power for the displacement.  A 500 Shadow is pretty benign.
Are there any insurance issues in Manitoba with regard to displacement or crazy-ass pricing on anything deemed "sporty"?  Limits for new riders?

Yes.  Insurance is fracking ridiculous here, especially as you go higher in displacement, or any sport bike. 

I think my Dad is nearing the end of his riding.  I'll be seeing him later this week at my Grandmother's funeral in QC.  I'm hoping maybe I can prod him a little, and see if I can swing a special deal out of him on his Triumph Bonneville T100.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 08:02:25 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: May 29, 2022, 09:45:48 pm »
T100 would be awesome. Sorry about your Grandma.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: May 30, 2022, 12:01:59 pm »
Pub grub with Rob in downtown Burlington yesterday evening.  Good eats.  Patio table with a view of the bikes, and SERIOUS metal rolling by the whole time.  I could totally get into piloting a Wraith.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3216 on: May 30, 2022, 02:10:41 pm »

My 1500cc Boulevard is pretty benign, yeah, it has torque, but its not a snappy sportbike in the least.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: May 30, 2022, 02:31:49 pm »

My 1500cc Boulevard is pretty benign, yeah, it has torque, but its not a snappy sportbike in the least.

A 1500cc Boulevard is a physically huge bike to start on though.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3218 on: May 30, 2022, 02:37:26 pm »

A 1500cc Boulevard is a physically huge bike to start on though.

That I will 100% agree with. Its a lot of bike to pick up and control at low speed.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: June 07, 2022, 10:15:24 am »
Not sure how long the honeymoon phase lasts, but I'm still in it.  :rofl2: