Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458104 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #3020 on: August 27, 2021, 12:19:19 pm »
Picked up this 2017 YZ250X from St.Albert on Tuesday. It’ll be mainly juniors ride but dad is going to spend some hours on it too. It should be much better suited to the trail/woods riding we mostly do around here than my CRF450R.

A couple mods from the previous owner; Hinson clutch, titanium rear spring (have the original). He also added the hand guards, rad braces, skid plate, and nickel plated the pipe from the original black colour. Junior says the hand guards are coming off. I’d prefer to keep them on but whatever.  The blue clutch cover has got to go though :).  It also needs a good general polishing/cleaning. Junior loves doing that stuff though so he’ll be all over it.

Haven’t had a chance to really honk on it yet but my initial impression around the parking lot where we met to pick it up was that it felt light. First item for it is new tires and I have to check the jetting on the carb.  Its running good but just want to verify what he has in there for jets.  Anyway, should be a fun addition, glad to have a 2 stroke back in the stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:21:46 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3021 on: August 27, 2021, 12:29:44 pm »
Picked up this 2017 YZ250X from St.Albert on Tuesday. It’ll be mainly juniors ride but dad is going to spend some hours on it too. It should be much better suited to the trail/woods riding we mostly do around here than my CRF450R.

Nice, I'd love to go for a rip on one of those.  Haven't been  on a real motocrosser in years
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3022 on: August 27, 2021, 12:31:54 pm »

A couple mods from the previous owner; Hinson clutch, titanium rear spring (have the original). He also added the hand guards, rad braces, skid plate, and nickel plated the pipe from the original black colour. Junior says the hand guards are coming off. I’d prefer to keep them on but whatever.  The blue clutch cover has got to go though :).  It also needs a good general polishing/cleaning. Junior loves doing that stuff though so he’ll be all over it.

Haven’t had a chance to really honk on it yet but my initial impression around the parking lot where we met to pick it up was that it felt light. First item for it is new tires and I have to check the jetting on the carb.  Its running good but just want to verify what he has in there for jets.  Anyway, should be a fun addition, glad to have a 2 stroke back in the stable.

Nice lightweight bike. The owner probably fried the original clutch as the springs in the X were lighter than the regular YZ. The Hinson is a nice upgrade. If you want more power a YZ head will bring some/most of that back.

Blur: This isn't a motocrosser per say. Detuned and regeared for off road work. Mellow power delivery.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: August 27, 2021, 12:33:00 pm »

Nice, I'd love to go for a rip on one of those.  Haven't been  on a real motocrosser in years

I contemplated selling my Honda after only putting on about 5 hrs this year.  But, Junior loves riding, and now that the summer rush of being at the lake is over I'm getting excited about some fall riding.  The addition of this bike has also increased my desire to ride.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: August 27, 2021, 12:41:29 pm »

Nice lightweight bike. The owner probably fried the original clutch as the springs in the X were lighter than the regular YZ. The Hinson is a nice upgrade. If you want more power a YZ head will bring some/most of that back.

Blur: This isn't a motocrosser per say. Detuned and regeared for off road work. Mellow power delivery.

KTM is right, the motor is detuned in several ways to give it a more linear power delivery (head, pipe, timing, power valve have all been altered).  That said, peak horsepower is almost the same on the bikes (45ish dyno'd by motocross action mag).  Other than that, changes from a regular YZ250 include a slightly larger tank with reserve, 18" rear tire, kickstand, different gear ratios, and softer suspension valving.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: August 27, 2021, 12:43:37 pm »

I contemplated selling my Honda after only putting on about 5 hrs this year.  But, Junior loves riding, and now that the summer rush of being at the lake is over I'm getting excited about some fall riding.  The addition of this bike has also increased my desire to ride.

Never sell a bike lol. How about buying a dual sport kit for the Honda and giving it a new mission?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3026 on: August 27, 2021, 12:51:20 pm »

KTM is right, the motor is detuned in several ways to give it a more linear power delivery (head, pipe, timing, power valve have all been altered).  That said, peak horsepower is almost the same on the bikes (45ish dyno'd by motocross action mag).  Other than that, changes from a regular YZ250 include a slightly larger tank with reserve, 18" rear tire, kickstand, different gear ratios, and softer suspension valving.

Nice, makes it easier to live with if  you're not racing it.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: August 27, 2021, 12:58:54 pm »

Never sell a bike lol. How about buying a dual sport kit for the Honda and giving it a new mission?

I've read its an absolute nightmare, if not impossible, to get a bike licensed for the street that was never intended to be through SGI.  Plus, I'd rather not make the Honda heavier.  My desire to ride the streets is almost non existent at this point in my life.  I know, I know, sacrilege!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: August 27, 2021, 01:41:05 pm »
Oh yeah I forgot that you have SGI... fun times.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3029 on: August 27, 2021, 01:44:48 pm »
Congrats on the new ride!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: August 27, 2021, 02:21:42 pm »
Thanks Jaeger!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3031 on: August 27, 2021, 03:35:04 pm »
Looks great!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: August 27, 2021, 03:52:09 pm »
After looking at the one photo I posted it may appear that Ron made that post... :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: August 28, 2021, 05:14:13 am »
I'm familiar with these, having ridden the supermoto version (WR250x) several times.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3034 on: August 28, 2021, 07:55:15 am »
Sunrise at Bronte Harbor, then a quick blast up to Cambleville and back.  My longest ride so far.  Just a gorgeous morning for a ride - ideal temps and zero sweat.  Now breakfast.  ;D

So, it looks like I will need to be working on my right wrist / forearm strength over the winter.  Holding a steady throttle over (not that) long stretches is definitely fatiguing.  Has anyone tried those throttle assist clamps?  Any downsides?

Also tried out the speedshifter for the first time.  I'm a fan!  :banana:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #3035 on: August 28, 2021, 08:05:33 am »
Congrats on the new ride!

Cool pic Jaeger!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: August 28, 2021, 08:06:32 am »
Do some hands/wrist stretches before setting off. But it won't take long to be accustomed and the ache to go away. Usually a couple weeks.

If you want to try a simple, cheap gadget have a look at a Throttle Rocker.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3037 on: August 28, 2021, 10:48:11 am »
Do some hands/wrist stretches before setting off. But it won't take long to be accustomed and the ache to go away. Usually a couple weeks.
^^ this.

it's likely just a new motion for your body...your body will get used to it, typically after a few weeks...in the meantime, don't overdue it, but you will notice it get less and less fatiguing the more you ride (even if you do plenty of short trips)...i personally wouldn't bother with any assist clamps...in a few weeks, you won't even need it.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #3038 on: August 28, 2021, 01:59:41 pm »

So, it looks like I will need to be working on my right wrist / forearm strength over the winter. 

Wanker.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: August 28, 2021, 02:53:21 pm »

So, it looks like I will need to be working on my right wrist / forearm strength over the winter. 

Wanker.

Well, that's one way!  :rofl2:

Cheers gents.