Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458437 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #2780 on: June 15, 2021, 02:48:15 pm »
I just got my M1, and if all goes well I will pass the road test to qualify for M2 this weekend.  But I still have to wait 60 days to upgrade it.  Seems like it might take me that long to find a bike anyway.

Congratulations!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2781 on: June 15, 2021, 03:07:45 pm »

I just got my M1, and if all goes well I will pass the road test to qualify for M2 this weekend. 

Congratulations!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2782 on: June 15, 2021, 03:59:27 pm »
Cheers gents.  :cheers:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2783 on: June 16, 2021, 11:57:16 am »
Thanks folks - and yes the insurance issue is fairly frightening. I might be down to getting the CB650R (my next fave from the 600cc class) or waiting until next year for a Trident.

Jeff - thanks for confirming my thoughts on the Trident. I sat on one at GP Bikes this weekend and it just looked and felt perfect to me. I'll look forward to your review!

Sturgess had a Z900RS in the same color scheme that your brother rode in that video (beautifully shot, by the way). Loved it. Speed Twin would likely be my top pick from the bigger bikes. Love the fact that they were able to keep the weight so low - it barely weighs more than the Trident.

And yes - the Scrambler I was looking at is the now-discontinued Full Throttle.

What license will you have when you get a bike? 
 If it's an M1 you don't really have a good option, certainly not in anything over 400cc

I just got my M1, and if all goes well I will pass the road test to qualify for M2 this weekend.  But I still have to wait 60 days to upgrade it.  Seems like it might take me that long to find a bike anyway.

Cancellations do come up, you might get lucky with a Trident.

That's a good point.

Another thought is that you could buy a stop-gap bike this year -- something lightly used and relatively modest power to really get a feel for riding.  Then, next year (or even in the autumn) sell it off.  If you buy smart, you won't lose much, or any, money and then you can have the bike you're really after without missing out on the riding season this year. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2784 on: June 16, 2021, 12:02:30 pm »
Thanks folks - and yes the insurance issue is fairly frightening. I might be down to getting the CB650R (my next fave from the 600cc class) or waiting until next year for a Trident.

Jeff - thanks for confirming my thoughts on the Trident. I sat on one at GP Bikes this weekend and it just looked and felt perfect to me. I'll look forward to your review!

Sturgess had a Z900RS in the same color scheme that your brother rode in that video (beautifully shot, by the way). Loved it. Speed Twin would likely be my top pick from the bigger bikes. Love the fact that they were able to keep the weight so low - it barely weighs more than the Trident.

If it's an M1 you don't really have a good option, certainly not in anything over 400cc

That's a good point.

Another thought is that you could buy a stop-gap bike this year -- something lightly used and relatively modest power to really get a feel for riding.  Then, next year (or even in the autumn) sell it off.  If you buy smart, you won't lose much, or any, money and then you can have the bike you're really after without missing out on the riding season this year.

C'mon, that makes too much sense.   That's not what we do here >:D

Anyone remember when newbs got a 250cc or smaller to start with?
Mr Pickypants

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2785 on: June 16, 2021, 12:07:10 pm »

That's a good point.

I'm not saying to go for a 250 cc...   but finding a decent 500-700 cc, non-super-sport machine will still give all the right riding thrills and get someone into the sport, plus help him appreciate the Trident so much more when he finally gets it.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2786 on: June 16, 2021, 12:11:39 pm »
How big was the one Sir Osis crashed? Was that on the way home from the dealer?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2787 on: June 16, 2021, 12:15:53 pm »

That's a good point.

I'm not saying to go for a 250 cc...   but finding a decent 500-700 cc, non-super-sport machine will still give all the right riding thrills and get someone into the sport, plus help him appreciate the Trident so much more when he finally gets it.

Exactly, get a CBR500 or something for a year, and if you do drop it, don't worry too much.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2788 on: June 16, 2021, 12:17:50 pm »

That's a good point.

Exactly, get a CBR500 or something for a year, and if you do drop it, don't worry too much.

Thats exactly what I was going to recommend, something in the 4-500 range to learn on that you won't cry when you drop it in front of your driveway...ask me how I know that.  :-[ :-[
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2789 on: June 16, 2021, 12:21:01 pm »

That's a good point.

I do agree, a 250cc can be a bit anemic, but a healthy 400-600 weighing less than 400lbs is a lot of fun.   
Also, when learning it's pretty common to have no-speed crashes, where you just lose balance, don't get your foot down in time and fall over, hit a pebble/stick/puddle at walking speed, etc.   I'd hate to do that with a  perfect, shiny new bike.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2790 on: June 16, 2021, 12:21:53 pm »
Crash bars FTMFW!!!  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2791 on: June 16, 2021, 12:34:59 pm »
Yeah, there is more ways to stupidly tip over a bike than you can count. I remember parking on the side of a highway on hot day. Came back and not only did the the side stand sink into the pavement but the bike flipped over and was upside down in the ditch. Not the greatest thing for a streetbike

Not as embarrassing as 'foot going into hole and dropping bike at stop sign' but it still was a bit of a shock to see

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2792 on: June 16, 2021, 12:52:06 pm »

That's a good point.

Oh I agree - and the Trident is precisely a 500-700cc non super-sport machine that will give me all the riding thrills I want, all the tech I want, plus styling I love and from a brand that I  really dig.

The cancellation point is fair - costs nothing to get on a waiting list.  But just for some hard numbers, all 20 allotted Tridents at GP Bikes were pre-sold, with a waiting list 10 deep.  So a lot of people would have to say 'nah, don't want it' before I got my shot.  Shorter waiting list at Sturgess (and I'm on that list) but also fewer bikes coming in.

I don't really see myself buying a bike I don't really want just to hold me over until next year. Although I don't rule it out as I haven't taken a close look at 400 to 500 cc offerings, and maybe when I ride some wee little bikes at the safety course, their awesomeness will present in unexpected ways.

Also working against a stop gap choice is the fact that if I do luck into landing a Trident, it will likely happen later in the season than sooner.  Logic dictates that if I am lucky enough to have that many people abandon their positions ahead of me, it will take time for that to unfold.  So if it's mid August and I haven't been fortunate enough to land one, it is even less likely that I get some stop gap bike to ride for a two months and then promptly sell the following spring.

What I really need is to rent a bike for a few weeks - but I kinda doubt that's a thing and if it's at all like renting cars it would be super expensive anyway.

Finally - I get the whole too much power for a newbie is a bad thing, thing.  But is 90 - 110hp really in the omfg zone?  That's basically and Indian Scout - which nobody regards as a barely controlable land missile.

And newbie drops I accept as a probability - but I also accept that I will simply have to shell out the funds for any resulting repairs.

It's not quite an equivalent scenario, but when I was buying my first road bike, everyone said don't spend a lot / your tastes will change / n+1 / yadda yadda.  But I felt that if I got a bike that was a bit more costly than an average first road bike - but something I really actually WANTED versus something that would get the job done - I'd skip the likely more costly upgrade cycle (pardon the pun).  I have never regretted getting my Pinarello and have never felt the slightest need to get a better / newer / additional bike.

Now, all that said, everyone is making valid points and the extent of what I DON'T know about owning / riding / maintaining / insuring a motorcycle is vast - so don't take the above as my being dismissive of your suggestions - they are very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:55:26 pm by Jaeger »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: June 16, 2021, 01:14:35 pm »
A 110hp Indian Scout is heavy and long.  Put 110hp into a 350lb sportbike and you're doing unplanned wheelies when it hits the power. 
 I unexpectedly wheelied my friend's ZX6RR at 100kph, whacked my goodies on the tank when it came down.

Keep the revs down and power is controllable, but some bikes are a handful if you crank the throttle.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 01:16:18 pm by blur911 »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2794 on: June 16, 2021, 01:19:47 pm »

That's a good point.

Oh I agree - and the Trident is precisely a 500-700cc non super-sport machine that will give me all the riding thrills I want, all the tech I want, plus styling I love and from a brand that I  really dig.

The cancellation point is fair - costs nothing to get on a waiting list.  But just for some hard numbers, all 20 allotted Tridents at GP Bikes were pre-sold, with a waiting list 10 deep.  So a lot of people would have to say 'nah, don't want it' before I got my shot.  Shorter waiting list at Sturgess (and I'm on that list) but also fewer bikes coming in.

I don't really see myself buying a bike I don't really want just to hold me over until next year. Although I don't rule it out as I haven't taken a close look at 400 to 500 cc offerings, and maybe when I ride some wee little bikes at the safety course, their awesomeness will present in unexpected ways.

Also working against a stop gap choice is the fact that if I do luck into landing a Trident, it will likely happen later in the season than sooner.  Logic dictates that if I am lucky enough to have that many people abandon their positions ahead of me, it will take time for that to unfold.  So if it's mid August and I haven't been fortunate enough to land one, it is even less likely that I get some stop gap bike to ride for a two months and then promptly sell the following spring.

What I really need is to rent a bike for a few weeks - but I kinda doubt that's a thing and if it's at all like renting cars it would be super expensive anyway.

Finally - I get the whole too much power for a newbie is a bad thing, thing.  But is 90 - 110hp really in the omfg zone?  That's basically and Indian Scout - which nobody regards as a barely controlable land missile.

And newbie drops I accept as a probability - but I also accept that I will simply have to shell out the funds for any resulting repairs.

It's not quite an equivalent scenario, but when I was buying my first road bike, everyone said don't spend a lot / your tastes will change / n+1 / yadda yadda.  But I felt that if I got a bike that was a bit more costly than an average first road bike - but something I really actually WANTED versus something that would get the job done - I'd skip the likely more costly upgrade cycle (pardon the pun).  I have never regretted getting my Pinarello and have never felt the slightest need to get a better / newer / additional bike.

Now, all that said, everyone is making valid points and the extent of what I DON'T know about owning / riding / maintaining / insuring a motorcycle is vast - so don't take the above as my being dismissive of your suggestions - they are very much appreciated.

The bicycle analogy doesn't fit though, as YOU don't have the choices. Insurance will dictate some, as will availability. No one is saying don't buy a Trident for X reasons, everyone is saying buy one, but you can't. So you either buy a stop gap bike and ride this year, or take a gamble and maybe don't ride until next year.

And power is also related to bike design. The MT-09 was only just over that hp range, but was an absolute hooligan of a bike, the Scout less so due to its design. If I was in your position, I'd buy a 1-2 year old 250-500cc bike, ride this year, not worry about dropping it, and sell it for about what you paid when the Trident comes in. YMMV.

No one is recommending a downgrade due to choice, it's just the only real option. Or you could go for a different 600-800cc bike instead, but you'd always be thinking about the Trident!  :rofl2:

Good luck!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: June 16, 2021, 02:00:25 pm »

That's a good point.

The bicycle analogy doesn't fit though, as YOU don't have the choices. Insurance will dictate some, as will availability. No one is saying don't buy a Trident for X reasons, everyone is saying buy one, but you can't. So you either buy a stop gap bike and ride this year, or take a gamble and maybe don't ride until next year.

And power is also related to bike design. The MT-09 was only just over that hp range, but was an absolute hooligan of a bike, the Scout less so due to its design. If I was in your position, I'd buy a 1-2 year old 250-500cc bike, ride this year, not worry about dropping it, and sell it for about what you paid when the Trident comes in. YMMV.

No one is recommending a downgrade due to choice, it's just the only real option. Or you could go for a different 600-800cc bike instead, but you'd always be thinking about the Trident!  :rofl2:

Good luck!

:cheers:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #2796 on: June 16, 2021, 02:48:39 pm »
How big was the one Sir Osis crashed? Was that on the way home from the dealer?
Duke 390, and he's an experienced rider.

I'd 2nd Triple Bob's recommendation in finding a good used bike to learn on for this season & then put it your order for the one you want for next season. Whatever you buy now, sell next spring for close to equal.

I've managed to break even on 2 used bikes & came out ahead on 2 used bikes I've purchased over the years. Never bought a new one.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: June 16, 2021, 06:08:37 pm »

It was cold and the brand new tires weren't scrubbed.

But Duke 390 is a fantastic choice as a "stepping stone".

I'd get just about ANYTHING and start riding this summer.....will go towards your experience with the insurer..and make it one year closer to having "decent" rates.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #2798 on: June 16, 2021, 06:39:38 pm »

But Duke 390 is a fantastic choice as a "stepping stone".

:iagree:

Almost bought a pair of them a couple years ago, white for Bella & Orange for me after you Sir O got yours. Dealership here had $1k off of them at the time. Wanna say 2017 models in June of 2018.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2799 on: June 16, 2021, 09:52:20 pm »
Going down due to how slick brand new tires is can happen to anyone. When I was doing the hard engine break in of my brand new R3, it had just rained and I was scared I was going to go down.