Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458478 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #2760 on: June 14, 2021, 05:04:45 pm »
Let's play a somewhat hypohtetical game.

Assume:

1) There seems to be a snowball's chance in hell of getting a Triumph Trident 660 this year.  Fully pre-sold inventory with lengthy waiting lists.
2) That spousal approval / resignation to the inevitable seems close, and I don't want to want to lose that momentum by waiting until next year.
3) I really don't love any other of the 600-ish cc bikes - I know I'd always wish I'd got the Trident. (CB 650R, MT07 etc. - they don't suck, I just don't got that loving feeling.)

Anything else that really appeals to me is up a class in displacement, power and price (100-110hp versus 80 for the Trident, 14-15k versus 10k for the Trident) and probably not really a beginner's bike.

Bot those that I DO really like a whole lot include:

1) Triumph Speed Twin
2) Ducati Monster
3) Kawasaki Z900 RS

Yeah, I know that's two retro-styled bikes and one thoroughly contemporary sport naked - hey, I like what I like.  And these by and large don't require a line-up to purchase.

Any thoughts, experiences, known plusses or minuses to these three from the group?

The Ducati Scrambler 800 is something of an outlier.  I saw a new 2020 nicely discounted when out shopping this past weekend and fell for it even in the utterly obnoxious yellow and black colourway.

Speed Twin hands down, but I'm not sure what cc that is.

Call Rider's Plus first and get their list of 'beginner bikes'. You will be uninsurable on anything else.

Is that a thing about being uninsurable on bigger bikes?? I've just never heard of that before here

By law they have to insure you IIRC.

But they'll put you into the Favcility Rates...along with drunk drivers and other degen drivers if you're trying to insure something like a 'Busa as your first bike.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2761 on: June 14, 2021, 05:05:42 pm »
I can't wrap my head around the Kawa styling, much prefer the other two

New rider? 100/110 hp is a lot to start on

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2762 on: June 14, 2021, 05:06:31 pm »

Assume:

1) There seems to be a snowball's chance in hell of getting a Triumph Trident 660 this year.  Fully pre-sold inventory with lengthy waiting lists.
2) That spousal approval / resignation to the inevitable seems close, and I don't want to want to lose that momentum by waiting until next year.
3) I really don't love any other of the 600-ish cc bikes - I know I'd always wish I'd got the Trident. (CB 650R, MT07 etc. - they don't suck, I just don't got that loving feeling.)

Anything else that really appeals to me is up a class in displacement, power and price (100-110hp versus 80 for the Trident, 14-15k versus 10k for the Trident) and probably not really a beginner's bike.

1) Triumph Speed Twin
2) Ducati Monster
3) Kawasaki Z900 RS

Yeah, I know that's two retro-styled bikes and one thoroughly contemporary sport naked - hey, I like what I like.  And these by and large don't require a line-up to purchase.

Any thoughts, experiences, known plusses or minuses to these three from the group?

The Ducati Scrambler 800 is something of an outlier.  I saw a new 2020 nicely discounted when out shopping this past weekend and fell for it even in the utterly obnoxious yellow and black colourway.

Speed Twin hands down, but I'm not sure what cc that is.

Call Rider's Plus first and get their list of 'beginner bikes'. You will be uninsurable on anything else.

Is that a thing about being uninsurable on bigger bikes?? I've just never heard of that before here

Most Ontario insurers don't even want bikes at all, so limit it as much as they can. 
If they don't want your business, they'll quote you Facility rates to make you go away.   A new rider on a big bike is not business they want and it will cost accordingly, if you can even get coverage from them.

EG.

Age 25 and over
CCs
100 or less   $766.00/yr   $65.00/mth
101 – 400   $3,815.00/yr   $322.00/mth
401 – 750   $4,813.00/yr   $406.00/mth
751 and up   $5,721.00/yr   $483.00/mth
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:11:41 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2763 on: June 14, 2021, 05:22:36 pm »
Sweet merciful jeebus  :o :o :o :o

I'm paying $330ish per year for my 300. A KLR650 would be about $600ish.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2764 on: June 14, 2021, 05:27:20 pm »
^Now, that is Facility rates for someone with an M1 license, so worst case scenario.

Edit: Actually, double those numbers for 16-20 year olds.  :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:52:02 pm by blur911 »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: June 14, 2021, 05:32:57 pm »
I actually don't know what a similar kind of case would be here. Like if I called my insurance provider and told them I bought a turbo 'Busa what would my rates be? I wonder if there is a difference between a cruiser and a crotch rocket of similar displacement.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2766 on: June 14, 2021, 06:27:27 pm »
It's not just on CC, it's also other risk factors, same as any other actuarial view.

But Rider's Plus has a good list of bikes that are cheaper to insure for beginners.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: June 14, 2021, 06:42:00 pm »
It's not just on CC, it's also other risk factors, same as any other actuarial view.

But Rider's Plus has a good list of bikes that are cheaper to insure for beginners.

Over the years, every time I've gone to that website for a "quote" I always get the "something went wrong" message...and never end up getting a quote.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2768 on: June 14, 2021, 06:44:53 pm »

Over the years, every time I've gone to that website for a "quote" I always get the "something went wrong" message...and never end up getting a quote.   :rofl: :rofl2:

(For Roger) Just phone and ask for the list, much easier.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2769 on: June 14, 2021, 08:18:43 pm »
Those rates are crazy. I am paying $165/yr for a 510CC.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: June 14, 2021, 11:39:10 pm »
https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/nzwfm9/a_woman_with_a_lot_of_talents/

Well now, my dual-sporting skills don't seem so great after watching  :bow:

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2771 on: June 15, 2021, 12:20:43 am »

Assume:

1) Triumph Speed Twin
2) Ducati Monster
3) Kawasaki Z900 RS

A few thoughts...

When I had the Bonnie in for a quick ECU re-map at Sturgess a few weeks ago, there was a Trident parked outside and I spent a few minutes poring over it.  Geezus man, you're right to lust after that.  It's sooooo right-sized and looks fantastic from every angle I saw.  I've been granted the review for it for CMG, but Triumph also can't seem to get one for a press fleet right now (there is hope for August I'm told).

As for the other three you've mentioned, I fear the insurance woes voiced by others will very much be a crippling reality to that dream.  That said, I have logged a bunch of miles on all of those bikes and the Speed Twin is the bike I lust after now.  If I had a little extra scratch, I'd snatch one up in a second.  Such an excellent blend of good ol' Triumph styling, comfort and very usable performance. 

The Z900RS is a close second.  I've had a Z900 and loved it (just didn't love the looks of it all that much, and wanted to free up a bit of cash for the Boxster last year).   I've taken a decent road trip on one (plus we used it as the 'co-star' for my brother in Into the Rising Sun) and it's just such a well-executed machine.  Smooth, fast, reliable, and stylish -- especially with the right colour scheme. 

As for the Monster.. well...  I guess everyone needs to scratch their Ducati itch at some point.  I had an older Monster (1100) for only a few months before I realized it was better to look at than to ride. Just wasn't as well-sorted or fun as I had hoped it would be.  I've since ridden newer Monsters and I've never come away wanting another one. 

The Scrambler in the right trim (Full Throttle?) could be alright.  The Desert Sled was okay.  The cafe racer one I rode in '19 really left me cold. 

I think the Trident is really tough to beat. 

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2772 on: June 15, 2021, 01:37:55 am »
Wing paid $1600 a year for the CB300F outside of Ottawa IIRC. I paid $750 in BC including license and registration.

In AB, My R3 was $360 excluding license and registration. CBR250R $245 no collision.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2773 on: June 15, 2021, 07:59:46 am »
Thanks folks - and yes the insurance issue is fairly frightening. I might be down to getting the CB650R (my next fave from the 600cc class) or waiting until next year for a Trident.

Jeff - thanks for confirming my thoughts on the Trident. I sat on one at GP Bikes this weekend and it just looked and felt perfect to me. I'll look forward to your review!

Sturgess had a Z900RS in the same color scheme that your brother rode in that video (beautifully shot, by the way). Loved it. Speed Twin would likely be my top pick from the bigger bikes. Love the fact that they were able to keep the weight so low - it barely weighs more than the Trident.

And yes - the Scrambler I was looking at is the now-discontinued Full Throttle.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:49:27 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: June 15, 2021, 11:02:55 am »
Thanks folks - and yes the insurance issue is fairly frightening. I might be down to getting the CB650R (my next fave from the 600cc class) or waiting until next year for a Trident.

Jeff - thanks for confirming my thoughts on the Trident. I sat on one at GP Bikes this weekend and it just looked and felt perfect to me. I'll look forward to your review!

Sturgess had a Z900RS in the same color scheme that your brother rode in that video (beautifully shot, by the way). Loved it. Speed Twin would likely be my top pick from the bigger bikes. Love the fact that they were able to keep the weight so low - it barely weighs more than the Trident.

What license will you have when you get a bike? 
 If it's an M1 you don't really have a good option, certainly not in anything over 400cc

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2775 on: June 15, 2021, 12:10:05 pm »

If it's an M1 you don't really have a good option, certainly not in anything over 400cc

I just got my M1, and if all goes well I will pass the road test to qualify for M2 this weekend.  But I still have to wait 60 days to upgrade it.  Seems like it might take me that long to find a bike anyway.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #2776 on: June 15, 2021, 12:18:53 pm »

I just got my M1, and if all goes well I will pass the road test to qualify for M2 this weekend.  But I still have to wait 60 days to upgrade it.  Seems like it might take me that long to find a bike anyway.
Well done Roger! :cheers:
Personally, I would go for the Monster. :shuffle: :hello:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: June 15, 2021, 12:59:45 pm »

Cancellations do come up, you might get lucky with a Trident.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: June 15, 2021, 01:52:09 pm »
Congrats on your license man!!!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: June 15, 2021, 02:41:59 pm »
Yeah Rob I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I can maybe grab a Trident later in the season. I just have zero second thoughts or reservations about that bike.

Thanks Fob!