Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458798 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #2540 on: February 05, 2021, 12:17:04 pm »
I have a Bell helmet too. Great protection, but man is it uncomfortable after an hour.

I've only worn a non full face helmet once in Vietnam because that's all they had. There are times where I may ride slow enough that I would risk wearing a 3/4 helmet or something but hey even though my face isn't the number one reason I attract the ladies, it still looks better than having wire hold my jaw together.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2541 on: February 05, 2021, 12:40:03 pm »
I have a Bell helmet too. Great protection, but man is it uncomfortable after an hour.

Then you've got the wrong helmet. I've worn my old bell helmet for 8+ hours and it was fine.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: February 05, 2021, 12:53:22 pm »

Then you've got the wrong helmet. I've worn my old bell helmet for 8+ hours and it was fine.

Only HJC fits me well and I wore it on my 1475 km day no problem, but it doesn't come in ECE/Snell in my size. I put ECE/Snell certification over comfort.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2543 on: February 05, 2021, 01:00:28 pm »
This came in the mail today. It remains to be seen when or whether I will have a bike.  ;D But I've now got a lid and will take the course and get licensed - so definitely something to look forward to in the spring.

Did everyone else feel that a full face helmet felt claustrophobic af the first time they put one on?

Great choice. If it doesn't wobble, or rip your ears off, it's the right size.  The foam packs down a bit after the first year.

Doesn't wobble. Feels a bit like it's ripping my ears off going on, but fine in that regard once it's on.
It just feels weird having my head fully encased. But of course that's the point.

Photochromic visor was a selling point for me.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2544 on: February 05, 2021, 01:11:31 pm »
Doesn't wobble. Feels a bit like it's ripping my ears off going on, but fine in that regard once it's on.
It just feels weird having my head fully encased. But of course that's the point.

sounds like a good fit for you then...it should be snug, but still comfortable...if it's too loose, it can wobble/move around at speed which is not good.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: February 05, 2021, 01:26:55 pm »
My helmet was always comfy. The biggest issue was the top of my head would get itchy after a while. Argh.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2546 on: February 05, 2021, 02:47:59 pm »

sounds like a good fit for you then...it should be snug, but still comfortable...if it's too loose, it can wobble/move around at speed which is not good.

:cheers:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: February 05, 2021, 03:10:20 pm »
Oooo HJC C91 is ECE approved in all sizes to 5XL. I might get one.

Edit: Embedded image
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:01:08 pm by DKaz »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: February 05, 2021, 03:26:36 pm »
Oooo HJC C91 is ECE approved in all sizes to 5XL. I might get one.

https://www.hjchelmets.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/C91-solid-NGREY-side.png
that's a nice looking helmet...it's also not $1000, which is nice too. :)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: 2021 Hayabusa Leak Video!
« Reply #2549 on: February 05, 2021, 05:15:32 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFg2oSM9EhM&feature=emb_logo
i'm sure it's a great bike, but who buys these???...you need to have watermelon sized balls to ride them...i mean, there's cheaper ways to kill yourself if that's what you are looking for.  ;D

in all seriousness, these always have been an epic bike...but not very common around here...probably something like 230-250 HP?

160-170 WHP

ZX14R were putting down 190 WHP!!
i'm talking about the new one coming...i think it's predecessor had 208 HP?...it looks like it may be moving up in engine size too (to 1450cc?), which is why i'm thinking the HP number may move up with it...even if it is in the 200-220 HP range, that's still bananas.

New Hayabusa is 187hp, down 7hp  from 194 to meet Euro5 emissions.    The biggest change is electronics to tame the beast.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: February 05, 2021, 06:16:41 pm »
i'm sure it's a great bike, but who buys these???...you need to have watermelon sized balls to ride them...i mean, there's cheaper ways to kill yourself if that's what you are looking for.  ;D

in all seriousness, these always have been an epic bike...but not very common around here...probably something like 230-250 HP?

160-170 WHP

i'm talking about the new one coming...i think it's predecessor had 208 HP?...it looks like it may be moving up in engine size too (to 1450cc?), which is why i'm thinking the HP number may move up with it...even if it is in the 200-220 HP range, that's still bananas.

New Hayabusa is 187hp, down 7hp  from 194 to meet Euro5 emissions.    The biggest change is electronics to tame the beast.
I read they were hitting the top speed agreement easy...so instead of focusing on more power, they retuned for low and mid RPM power improvements
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Hayabusa Leak Video!
« Reply #2551 on: February 05, 2021, 07:14:34 pm »

160-170 WHP

odd, the article mentions "more power"...maybe they mean more usable power (in terms of its delivery?)...either way, when you get up in those areas of power on a bike, it's all bananas anyway.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2552 on: February 08, 2021, 03:52:54 pm »
This came in the mail today. It remains to be seen when or whether I will have a bike.  ;D But I've now got a lid and will take the course and get licensed - so definitely something to look forward to in the spring.

Did everyone else feel that a full face helmet felt claustrophobic af the first time they put one on?

Great choice. If it doesn't wobble, or rip your ears off, it's the right size.  The foam packs down a bit after the first year.

Right on.  Yeah, the photochromatic visors are awesome.  I've had more than a few occasions where "I'll definitely be parked well before dark" only to find myself after sunset squinting through a dark-tinted visor.   :banghead:

As for the ears being tortured, yeah, that happens until both your helmet and your ears break-in a bit.  ;)  I took a long road trip shortly after getting a new helmet a few years ago, and after pulling the helmet on and off several times in a day for fuel, bathroom and food breaks, my ears were really tender by the end of the day. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2553 on: February 08, 2021, 04:19:54 pm »
I have photochromic sunglasses, and they're great as well.

I guess the snugness is similar to some boots where you have to wear them for a while to have them mold to your feet.  Never occurred to me that it would apply to riding helmets as well, but it makes sense.

I bet if bespoke helmets are a thing, Jaeger will be tracing his noggin to sent to an artisan for a custom fit.   ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: February 08, 2021, 04:29:45 pm »
I have photochromic sunglasses, and they're great as well.

I guess the snugness is similar to some boots where you have to wear them for a while to have them mold to your feet.  Never occurred to me that it would apply to riding helmets as well, but it makes sense.

I bet if bespoke helmets are a thing, Jaeger will be tracing his noggin to sent to an artisan for a custom fit.   ;D

:rofl2: Don't give me ideas!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: February 08, 2021, 04:37:35 pm »
there might have been a change to some insurance companies recently regarding "sport bikes" so be sure to get quotes before buying anything...my boss's daughter's fiancé just sold his Ducati sport bike...34 years old, rode and licensed since he was 16...perfect driving record...insurance went from $2400/year to $6000...he decided not to renew and sold the bike...i bet if you live in Alabama you could get it for $300 and drive it year round...it's a racket in Ontario.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: February 08, 2021, 04:37:51 pm »
Right on.  Yeah, the photochromatic visors are awesome.  I've had more than a few occasions where "I'll definitely be parked well before dark" only to find myself after sunset squinting through a dark-tinted visor.   :banghead:

As for the ears being tortured, yeah, that happens until both your helmet and your ears break-in a bit.  ;)  I took a long road trip shortly after getting a new helmet a few years ago, and after pulling the helmet on and off several times in a day for fuel, bathroom and food breaks, my ears were really tender by the end of the day.

I wonder why photochromatic visors aren't more common as standard equipment?  I use them exclusively for cycling glasses because I start most of my rides at sunrise if not earlier.  Tinted shades would be damned dangerous.  And on a motorbike helemet wouldn't they eliminate the need (and cost and weight and potential ventilaton compromise) of built-in drop down shades?  Anyway, I have no doubt the helmet will take some getting used to.  I am mildly claustrophobic and that probably explains my initial unsettled reaction to have my head fully encased in something very close-fitting.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: February 08, 2021, 04:40:34 pm »
there might have been a change to some insurance companies recently regarding "sport bikes" so be sure to get quotes before buying anything...my boss's daughter's fiancé just sold his Ducati sport bike...34 years old, rode and licensed since he was 16...perfect driving record...insurance went from $2400/year to $6000...he decided not to renew and sold the bike...i bet if you live in Alabama you could get it for $300 and drive it year round...it's a racket in Ontario.

Good point.  Might as well inquire about the Tirumph now as a base line.  I can't really see anything displacing it.  I don't think it could reasonably be described as a sport bike, but insurance companies are weird.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: February 08, 2021, 05:21:41 pm »

Good point.  Might as well inquire about the Tirumph now as a base line.  I can't really see anything displacing it.  I don't think it could reasonably be described as a sport bike, but insurance companies are weird.
i would imagine the Trident isn't going to be that bad...it's a street bike and the engine size isn't too big (660cc)...the Ducati was one of those actual sport bikes (1000+cc?)...now, if you bought the new Hayabusa, that would be another story.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2559 on: February 08, 2021, 05:32:09 pm »

i would imagine the Trident isn't going to be that bad...it's a street bike and the engine size isn't too big (660cc)...the Ducati was one of those actual sport bikes (1000+cc?)...now, if you bought the new Hayabusa, that would be another story.

State farm used to have 2 categories,  either smaller than, or bigger than, 600cc .     Every company makes up their own rules depending upon what demographic they don't want to cover.   My present auto company won't insure old bikes. 
I just paid my bike policy today, $684