Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 459056 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #2360 on: November 26, 2020, 12:44:34 pm »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2361 on: November 26, 2020, 12:51:37 pm »
^I always thought I'd like a Sportster, until I rode one. :P
i didn't like the 883 but didn't mind the 1200.

some of them look nice too:

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/harley-davidson/sportster/concord/ontario/5_49103301_20161212205855299/?ms=motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=hl&orup=2_15_20&pc=N6G%205N1&sprx=-2

I nearly tripped over a 883, they are small bikes.   The 1200 had nothing sporty about it.   
Yeah, they look ok for that segment, hell, they invented it, but that was 50 years ago and they haven't improved the bikes much since.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2362 on: November 26, 2020, 12:51:41 pm »
When someone says, "For $XK you can get a Harley".

My initial thought is, why would I want to trade down to decades old technology and unreliability? HD is just a clothing brand that happens to sell motorcycles IMHO.

So is Ducati, but you also lust for one of those...

Yeah, but the one I lust over was literally at the top of it's game tech wise. I'm talking about people who want a new bike, not a classic.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: November 26, 2020, 01:35:07 pm »
When someone says, "For $XK you can get a Harley".

My initial thought is, why would I want to trade down to decades old technology and unreliability? HD is just a clothing brand that happens to sell motorcycles IMHO.
To be fair...some of the Triumphs (not yours though) have old tech and I'm reasonably sure you like those, don't you?

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2364 on: November 26, 2020, 03:10:00 pm »
^^^ Not a fan of that steeply sloped tank.  I know it's a thing, but it's not my thing.
yea, i'm not sure how i feel about it...typically, i'm not a fan of parallel twins, but it depends on the twin...some of the triumph units have a nice tone/character to them...others sound like the engine was used to fit a price...also for $12k, you can get a HD Iron 1200, that gives you a V-Twin engine and belt drive...it's also a Harley (which may be a plus or a negative depending on how you look at it), so i'm not sure this Honda will position itself in the segment.

personally, i think the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom at $10,400 is kind of the sweet spot in this segment...yes, the engine is a bit smaller, but the bike is still a decent size overall, has a Vtwin engine and is belt drive...it also a good looking bike, with its Black and Orange paint to slap HD in the face with:

For me, Indian >>>> Harley for any equivalent bike. I'm really warming to the base Indian Scout 60, per Ron's suggestion earlier on.  Decent power that is more accessible to a newer rider.  Very comfortable and very stable.  Decent handling.  Love the retro aesthetics. Basically the only downside is an excess of chrome compared with the Bobber, but it's not too bad.

I watched a 0 - 60 test on this bike (which is the smaller engine option on the Scout - 999cc vs 1133cc) - 4.3 sec - and easily achieved because it's so easy to launch.  Not quick by sportbike standards, I'm sure, but damned quick by car standards and then massively amplified by being out in the open on two wheels.  Certainly enough grunt for me.  And a very agreeable price.

That Kawasaki is pretty nice
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: November 26, 2020, 03:23:29 pm »
^^^ Not a fan of that steeply sloped tank.  I know it's a thing, but it's not my thing.
yea, i'm not sure how i feel about it...typically, i'm not a fan of parallel twins, but it depends on the twin...some of the triumph units have a nice tone/character to them...others sound like the engine was used to fit a price...also for $12k, you can get a HD Iron 1200, that gives you a V-Twin engine and belt drive...it's also a Harley (which may be a plus or a negative depending on how you look at it), so i'm not sure this Honda will position itself in the segment.

personally, i think the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom at $10,400 is kind of the sweet spot in this segment...yes, the engine is a bit smaller, but the bike is still a decent size overall, has a Vtwin engine and is belt drive...it also a good looking bike, with its Black and Orange paint to slap HD in the face with:

For me, Indian >>>> Harley for any equivalent bike. I'm really warming to the base Indian Scout 60, per Ron's suggestion earlier on.  Decent power that is more accessible to a newer rider.  Very comfortable and very stable.  Decent handling.  Love the retro aesthetics. Basically the only downside is an excess of chrome compared with the Bobber, but it's not too bad.

I watched a 0 - 60 test on this bike (which is the smaller engine option on the Scout - 999cc vs 1133cc) - 4.3 sec - and easily achieved because it's so easy to launch.  Not quick by sportbike standards, I'm sure, but damned quick by car standards and then massively amplified by being out in the open on two wheels.  Certainly enough grunt for me.  And a very agreeable price.

That Kawasaki is pretty nice

I'm an experienced rider and I still think I'd go the smaller Scout 60.

This isn't a backroad blaster...this is a boulevardier. Plenty enough power for most anything you'd want to do.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 03:25:58 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: November 26, 2020, 04:28:00 pm »
nothing wrong with the Scout 60...it's a really nice bike too...as well, typically, the smaller/lighter the bike you learn on, the easier it is to ride (within reason)...sport bikes are smaller and lighter, but also usually more powerful and may entice you to ride beyond your capabilities...cruisers, OTH, are typically a more relaxed ride...you are far less likely to try and set a land speed record on a Scout 60 than say a Honda CBR600RR.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2367 on: November 26, 2020, 05:12:20 pm »
nothing wrong with the Scout 60...it's a really nice bike too...as well, typically, the smaller/lighter the bike you learn on, the easier it is to ride (within reason)...sport bikes are smaller and lighter, but also usually more powerful and may entice you to ride beyond your capabilities...cruisers, OTH, are typically a more relaxed ride...you are far less likely to try and set a land speed record on a Scout 60 than say a Honda CBR600RR.

There's practically no difference between the Scout 60 and the bigger Scout though, except for more power.   (Scout 60 is 6lbs lighter at 549lbs)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: November 26, 2020, 05:16:58 pm »
typically, the smaller/lighter the bike you learn on, the easier it is to ride

Easier to lift off grandma >:D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2369 on: November 26, 2020, 06:00:04 pm »

There's practically no difference between the Scout 60 and the bigger Scout though, except for more power.   (Scout 60 is 6lbs lighter at 549lbs)

And price - and that's what makes the 60 appealing to me.  Most reviews say the power difference is mostly at the top end, and even then, not very noticeable unless you drive them back to back.  So I'd rather save the $$ for all the crap I'll need to go along with the bike, of which I have none - and I aint gonna buy cheap kit. The 60 is also a 5 speed versus 6 for the Scout, but the final drive ratio is the same, and with a big torquey engine more gears matter less.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find some leftover 2019 stock deeply discounted in the spring.  There are a few floating around right now.  I'd also be really open to a well maintained low mileage used offering.  Like someone who bought 60 and then decided they need moar powah.  ;D

But it's still all talk at the moment.  The spousal approval hurdle 'aint gonna be easy.  Her brother in law was badly hurt in a motorcycle crash back in the day - wasn't pretty at all.  And the motorcycle = death trap perception is deeply ingrained.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: November 26, 2020, 09:56:25 pm »

yea, i just assumed there would be more of a difference (thought the weight difference would be more)...makes sense though, the Sportster is the same from the 883 to the 1200 (in terms of the bike itself).

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: November 27, 2020, 11:21:38 am »

yea, i just assumed there would be more of a difference (thought the weight difference would be more)...makes sense though, the Sportster is the same from the 883 to the 1200 (in terms of the bike itself).

Same frame, same engine block, just a smaller bore and one less gear - so minimal weight difference.  Just watched a UK review which pointed out that over there, different licensing requirements attach to bikes at or over 1000cc, so the 999cc Scout 60 has extra appeal there.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: November 27, 2020, 12:11:16 pm »

Same frame, same engine block, just a smaller bore and one less gear - so minimal weight difference.  Just watched a UK review which pointed out that over there, different licensing requirements attach to bikes at or over 1000cc, so the 999cc Scout 60 has extra appeal there.
yea, makes sense...one of the common mods for a Sporster 883 is replace the "pots" (top end) with the one from a 1200 as the only difference is the bore.

example: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ss-883-to-1200-conversion-kit-for-harley-sportster-1986-2017

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: November 30, 2020, 01:53:32 pm »
Not a bike for a newbie, but damn, that's a solid deal.  Gotta love new old stock.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1445015588

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2374 on: November 30, 2020, 07:22:15 pm »
Not a bike for a newbie, but damn, that's a solid deal.  Gotta love new old stock.

Ooh that's nice, do it Roger!

Technically any bike can be a beginner bike.  :rofl2:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: November 30, 2020, 08:31:22 pm »

Not gonna lie - I freaking love it.  But it looks a bit of a hooligan from the reviews.  Front  end just wants to come up in the first three gears. Consistently described as a seriously FUN ride, though. Maybe if I rode it in rain mode for the first year.  :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: November 30, 2020, 09:06:55 pm »
it's likely an uncommon choice for a first bike...power is addictive, and that bike has a decent amount of it...it depends on how disciplined you are.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: December 01, 2020, 03:19:41 pm »
Leno on the 2004 Honda Valkyrie Rune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJpFeKYSVcY

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: December 01, 2020, 06:55:23 pm »

Not gonna lie - I freaking love it.  But it looks a bit of a hooligan from the reviews.  Front  end just wants to come up in the first three gears. Consistently described as a seriously FUN ride, though. Maybe if I rode it in rain mode for the first year.  :rofl2:

I said I would do that with the FZ-09, lasted a week in rain mode...  :rofl2:

If you're going to get a powerful bike as a first bike, at least get one with a long wheelbase so that wheelies aren't inevitable.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: December 01, 2020, 07:02:00 pm »

If you're going to get a powerful bike as a first bike, at least get one with a long wheelbase so that wheelies aren't inevitable.

I guess it depends what you consider a "long" wheelbase vs. "short" wheelbase.