Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 459131 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #2280 on: November 09, 2020, 03:59:41 pm »

but if Jaeger is looking for his first bike, i'm not sure a Rocket3 is a good place to start.

Bob's recommendation was VERY tongue in cheek IMO.
yea, that makes sense (as he knows bikes well).

if i had $26k burning a hole in my pocket and really enjoyed long tours on a big bike, i'd just get a Goldwing...as a touring bike, it's about as good as it gets.

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2281 on: November 09, 2020, 04:08:24 pm »

but if Jaeger is looking for his first bike, i'm not sure a Rocket3 is a good place to start.

Bob's recommendation was VERY tongue in cheek IMO.
yea, that makes sense (as he knows bikes well).

if i had $26k burning a hole in my pocket and really enjoyed long tours on a big bike, i'd just get a Goldwing...as a touring bike, it's about as good as it gets.

That would be like riding an appliance. Comfy and reliable. I'd rather take an MX-5.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: November 09, 2020, 04:25:46 pm »
That would be like riding an appliance. Comfy and reliable. I'd rather take an MX-5.
you've never ridden one.

they are fantastic bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XLJNLpzxQ

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: November 09, 2020, 04:58:54 pm »

An MX-5 isn't a motorcycle though.   ;D

It's the right tool for the job, that's all.  People puts 10s of thousands of KMs a year touring...and this is the gold standard in that category. And loads of these people do it two up, so you needs something more like this.  Unless you hate your wife.   :rofl: :rofl2:  It's supposed to be comfy and reliable so you can make it to your destination without feeling shot.   :rofl: :rofl2:

This is essentially a luxury sedan for motorcycle touring.  And your Triumph is on the other spectrum of touring...more like an all-terrain/SUV I guess.  Different tools for different riders.

And, shockingly, that Honda does have some character with that flat 6 engine.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 05:08:51 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: November 09, 2020, 05:26:46 pm »
that engine is a gem.

as i've said before, i was reluctant to take a Goldwing for a test drive (20 years ago now)...it's too big and cumbersome...too heavy and no fun to ride, etc...the test drive proved me wrong on every thought i initially had of it...it's a fantastic bike, and i get it now...now, i personally would unlikely ever buy one, simply because i don't need a large bike like that, but i can see why the hardcore touring people buy them...as you said, it's the gold standard in the class, and for a reason...it has a reputation that is well deserved.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: November 09, 2020, 05:37:34 pm »
that engine is a gem.

as i've said before, i was reluctant to take a Goldwing for a test drive (20 years ago now)...it's too big and cumbersome...too heavy and no fun to ride, etc...the test drive proved me wrong on every thought i initially had of it...it's a fantastic bike, and i get it now...now, i personally would unlikely ever buy one, simply because i don't need a large bike like that, but i can see why the hardcore touring people buy them...as you said, it's the gold standard in the class, and for a reason...it has a reputation that is well deserved.

Always loved being at a dyno day when someone showed up with one.

All of us sportbike guys were used to seeing peaky graphs.  Then the Goldwing shows up, and the torque curve looks like a heart monitor flatlining.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2286 on: November 09, 2020, 06:57:22 pm »
you've never ridden one.

I know, I wouldn't be seen dead on one.

And the reason I mention the MX-5 is that I've seen a couple of goldwings pulling trailers, I just don't see the point. Maybe I'm not old enough yet.  :rofl2:

Part of the reason I like motorcycles is because they look cool, this just doesn't to me. Yes it gets you from A to B in comfort, but to me that's only a small part of the equation. The Goldwing is terrific engineering, but to me looks like an armchair on wheels, regardless of how 'fun' the engine is.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:03:13 pm by Triple Bob »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: November 09, 2020, 07:01:06 pm »
They are interesting and impressive but at what point is it hardly biking anymore. Some have automatics, heaters, radios, etc. To me motorcycling means smelling the air, getting hit with wind, the bike feeling alive. Otherwise you may as well be in a car.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: November 09, 2020, 07:23:18 pm »

I know!!

What would the Bikes and Coffee crowd think?!?   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: November 09, 2020, 07:24:39 pm »
They are interesting and impressive but at what point is it hardly biking anymore. Some have automatics, heaters, radios, etc. To me motorcycling means smelling the air, getting hit with wind, the bike feeling alive. Otherwise you may as well be in a car.
you can still have fun on one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbv4i_ghes

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: November 09, 2020, 07:33:34 pm »

I dunno.

Having driven to Florida on a full on sportbike in my younger days..and various other states...I'd have no problem taking one of these on a long haul. Especially in the midwest during colour change when the weather might be cool and/or dicey.

But I just like to ride, period.  Supermoto, sportbike, dirtbike, advbike, scooter...I don't care, really.  I'll ride or try or own just about anything (and have).  Just a different flavor.  And I've enjoyed all of them for their unique strengths and/or characters  Yes, some more than others.  But still enjoyed the ride.

There's a bunch of articles on the web from hardcore non-touring bike riders who grudgingly took one of these on a long test..and came away genuinely impressed..to the point of saying "I get it now" type of thing.  Doesn't mean they;ll be buying one though!  But they went from "Never caught dead on one" to enjoying what they had to offer and definitely didn't ruin their trip or make it less fun.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:35:27 pm by rrocket »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2291 on: November 09, 2020, 07:43:07 pm »
you've never ridden one.

And the reason I mention the MX-5 is that I've seen a couple of goldwings pulling trailers, I just don't see the point. Maybe I'm not old enough yet.  :rofl2:

Part of the reason I like motorcycles is because they look cool, this just doesn't to me. Yes it gets you from A to B in comfort, but to me that's only a small part of the equation. The Goldwing is terrific engineering, but to me looks like an armchair on wheels, regardless of how 'fun' the engine is.

Ginormous cruisers hold no appeal for me whatsoever. And that shouldn't be controversial. Sport bikes probably hold no appeal for those buyers - and that shouldn't outrage anyone.  I certainly don't get defensive if someone says they have zero interest in driving a luxury sedan. Choice is good
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: November 09, 2020, 07:44:29 pm »

I'd have no problem taking one of these on a long haul.

But I just like to ride, period.   scooter...

Enough said.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: November 09, 2020, 07:51:24 pm »

Yep.  I'm a real rider.   You know, that whole "it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride" biker mantra thing.  Have tried them all, owned almost all (never a full on touring rig, however). Though I suppose the BMW could fall into the class in some way.

And...ahem...I likely put more KMs on just my scooter last year than you did on all your bikes combined.   :stick:   :rofl: :rofl2:  Though maybe not entirely your fault...the ride to Bikes and Coffee is probably a short one.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 08:14:22 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: November 09, 2020, 08:25:16 pm »

Yep.  I'm a real rider.   You know, that whole "it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride" biker mantra thing.  Have tried them all, owned almost all (never a full on touring rig, however). Though I suppose the BMW could fall into the class in some way.

And...ahem...I likely put more KMs on just my scooter last year than you did on all your bikes combined.   :stick:   :rofl: :rofl2:  Though maybe not entirely your fault...the ride to Bikes and Coffee is probably a short one.   ;D

You make it out like I don't ride a scooter because other people think they look sh!t. It's not. It's because I think they look sh!t. Nothing wrong with agreeing with myself.

So you rode a scooter a lot, who cares? I don't get why you have such an issue when someone has an opinion different from yours. I'll never agree with you just because you keep arguing.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: November 09, 2020, 08:36:19 pm »

You make it out like I don't ride a scooter because other people think they look sh!t. It's not. It's because I think they look sh!t. Nothing wrong with agreeing with myself.

So you rode a scooter a lot, who cares? I don't get why you have such an issue when someone has an opinion different from yours. I'll never agree with you just because you keep arguing.

Because the way it comes across from you is someone isn't a real biker unless they ride "X".  Now whether you mean it to come across that way?  But that's my perception. And your "scooter, enough said" comment doesn't diminish that perception.    ;D

Fortunately, you did agree with me ONCE about my arguments about the KTM 300!  Such an awesome bike! 

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 08:39:43 pm by rrocket »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2296 on: November 09, 2020, 08:55:01 pm »
This fills me with want.

personally (as much as i like the Rocket 3), i'd save the $10k and get the Suzuki M109R (which i also think looks good)

That's the thing though, looks are very subjective. I find most of the bikes Ron and DJ posted as either blobby looking, bagger-esque, or a bit Sons Of Anarchy. The Indian and the Triumph are just f*cking cool looking IMHO, they are styled in a way that says manly cool, and not, middle-aged accountant with a need for leather and tassels on the weekend. The Triumph (to me) also has a European edge to it. There is also a difference between retro chic, and just old looking. Again, all subjective.

Roger, also check out the Ducati Diavel X:

And here you go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0E0is4ND1A
 ;D

P.S. If you want a coffee and to talk about bikes and watches, come over anytime!  :)

Cheers bud, I will surely take you up on that.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: November 09, 2020, 09:00:42 pm »
^^Hell ya! BS-ing (a.k.a bench racing) about bikes is almost as fun as riding them!   ;D

I'd love to ride with Bob up in Ganaraska....wish it was closer.  Beautiful place to ride.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: November 09, 2020, 09:13:39 pm »

Because the way it comes across from you is someone isn't a real biker unless they ride "X".

I have never ever said that.

All I said was, I've seen multiple people, two up, pulling a trailer behind a goldwing. Seen it more than once! I would rather drive at that point. That's all I said. I didn't mention scooters at all until you brought them up.  And I've never said anything other than they are not for me. Just because I wouldn't be seen dead on a gold wing or a scooter doesn't mean those people are not real riders at all, those bikes are just not my style.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: November 09, 2020, 09:26:25 pm »

Because the way it comes across from you is someone isn't a real biker unless they ride "X".

I have never ever said that.

All I said was, I've seen multiple people, two up, pulling a trailer behind a goldwing. Seen it more than once! I would rather drive at that point. That's all I said. I didn't mention scooters at all until you brought them up.  And I've never said anything other than they are not for me. Just because I wouldn't be seen dead on a gold wing or a scooter doesn't mean those people are not real riders at all, those bikes are just not my style.

Those trailers often contain a pop-up tent and gear.  Seen lots of those.  Makes sense if you really love to ride to those faraway destinations IMO.

Once saw a sportbike with a trailer...but the trailer was a sleek shape and had a single wheel that leaned with the bike!

I don't think trailers are for me either...but I'd still rather be on a Goldwing than in a car (depending on ultimate destination).  And you wouldn't and that's cool.