Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458923 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #2100 on: September 09, 2020, 05:25:02 pm »
That Thruxton is a sexy piece of kit

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2101 on: September 10, 2020, 10:29:17 am »
Neighbor just came home with this. Sold his Thunderbird, still has the Thruxton R

Nice!  Bit too similar to the Thruxton though no?

My thought, exactly.

First step is to tidy up that long stinger out the back holding the license plate.  :D 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: September 10, 2020, 11:28:09 am »
This looks great for on the bike!

Someone try it out before the season is done and report back!

https://www.drivemodedashboard.com/
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: September 10, 2020, 02:06:30 pm »
Gorgeous bike.  Nice how U-Haul has that notch in the trailer for the front tire
LOL...I said the exact same thing yesterday! 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2104 on: September 10, 2020, 06:15:26 pm »
this looks like it would be fun to zip around town on:

https://www.hullygully.com/inventory/2013-yamaha-bw125-london-on-n6l-1j9-10699005i

it's cheap to buy, is barely used, great on gas, costs little to insure and has some nice upgrades (Corbin seat and a windscreen).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2105 on: September 10, 2020, 06:26:34 pm »
I've seen Yamaha SMax go for the same price which is newer and has a better top speed of 120 km/h.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: September 10, 2020, 06:40:14 pm »

https://www.hullygully.com/inventory/2013-yamaha-bw125-london-on-n6l-1j9-10699005i

it's cheap to buy, is barely used, great on gas, costs little to insure and has some nice upgrades (Corbin seat and a windscreen).

Yup.....I used to bomb around trails on one of these back when they came with a 2-stroke.

Everyone in the neighborhood used to borrow it...

Personally, a PCX150 is the better bike (by miles) and the way I'd go for an around-towner.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 06:46:58 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2107 on: September 10, 2020, 06:41:41 pm »

Shudder...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: September 10, 2020, 09:20:57 pm »
I've seen Yamaha SMax go for the same price which is newer and has a better top speed of 120 km/h.
i sat on one a year ago and didn't like the seating position that much...felt like the handlebars were awfully close to banging into your knees...that said, i did find this (but it's in QC):

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/yamaha/smax/montr%C3%A9al/quebec/5_49366661_ct200533115517706?ms=motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=11_12_12&pc=N6G%205N1&sprx=-1

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: September 10, 2020, 09:21:32 pm »
Personally, a PCX150 is the better bike (by miles) and the way I'd go for an around-towner.
don't see a lot of them in autotrader...right now, only one in Canada (left coast).

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: September 10, 2020, 10:12:51 pm »
don't see a lot of them in autotrader...right now, only one in Canada (left coast).

Check Kijiji

2014+ Is best...got LED lighting those years

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: September 16, 2020, 11:29:03 pm »
just snooping around the interwebs looking at scooters, and came across the new Suzuki M109R (not a scooter)...man, what a great looking bike.

and at $17k, a relative bargain for a muscle bike.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2112 on: September 16, 2020, 11:50:37 pm »
Damn that thing is sexy and I don't like cruisers.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: September 16, 2020, 11:55:08 pm »

Check Kijiji

2014+ Is best...got LED lighting those years
out of curiosity, which new scooter would you pick?

BWM C400GT
Suzuki Burgman 400

the Suzuki is about $2k less AND comes with a 5 year full warranty...it also has an actual 400cc engine (the BMW is a 350, i know, but it bugs me) and the Suzuki has a better (i think?) rear suspension (link type vs dual spring/shocks)...i think the BMW may actually have an extra 3 HP, but i can't see that being a big deal on a scooter (i'm sure they both feel the same in terms of power)...from what i've read, the Burgman uses the DR-Z400 engine, which i think is a pretty good engine(?)...the Suzuki also has a substantially larger storage area under the seat...the BMW does come fully equipped though (heated seat and grips) along with smartphone connectivity (which i really don't care about)...you can add heated grips and hand guards to the Burgman for about $500...i think the BMW looks a bit better, but the Burgman seems good too.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:04:23 am by dirtyjeffer »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: September 16, 2020, 11:58:39 pm »
Burgman

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: September 17, 2020, 12:03:36 am »
Damn that thing is sexy and I don't like cruisers.
yea, they've had this model out for many years, but this new one in that colour just speaks to me...it's not your typical cruiser though, it's a muscle bike...it's kind of like the Camaro SS 1LE of the bike world...it has 128 HP and 118 TQ (at 3200 RPM), so it can move out of its way pretty quick.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: September 17, 2020, 12:06:25 am »
Burgman
lol...was expecting a bit more of a reply than that. :)

but as much as i like the BMW, i think the Suzuki is the better scooter (overall).

but damn, that M109R.  :drool:

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: September 17, 2020, 12:51:49 am »
Burgman

but as much as i like the BMW, i think the Suzuki is the better scooter (overall).

It just flat out worked.  And was comfortable, nimble, reliable and frugal.  Certainly the best "all arounder" bike I've owned.  And it was amusing enough to entertain.  Yes, you could deck the floorboards on the road, which was alleged to be ~40 degree lean angle.  You could commute with it, two up with it, tour with it, go grocery shopping with it.  It did it all.  With the Givi Aero windscreen, it was shockingly serene from the wind.  I drove it (IIRC) 90 days straight...rain or shine to work and back.  I put a plug for my heated jacket liner on it and was able to commute down into the high 30s (low single digit F) with no issues in comfort.

The storage was downright cavernous.  I think 60L under the seat IIRC?  I kept a heated jacket liner, air shirt, air pants, and full rain gear (part of my modular dress system).  And still had loads of room to store my large modular helmet.  And there was STILL room in there.  I brought my full work gear (with the other stuff) and lunch everyday. Or if IQ and I went out, it would swallow 2 full face helmets easily.  We'd go out to dinner on it and have room for leftover.s..which I had never done on a bike before. LOL  I could do a weekend of grocery shopping (which I did).  I would carry a medium pizza and a 6 pack easily.  I even picked up a 12 pack once.  So storage was fantastic and really made for utility.

Gauges ridiculously easy to read (reminded me of a car). Adjustable lumbar support a nice plus.  I WISH it had the larger wheels of the new Burgman, but still..it never posed a problem and the larger wheels would improve comfort.  Engine was peppy..and SOOO much better once I added Dr. Pulley sliders.  Could spin the tire from a stop, yet allow reduced cruising RPM at speed.  MPG in the mid-high 3s usually. Low 4s sometimes.  Good stuff.

Was a bit heavy yanking it off the center stand or moving it about.  But once on it, due to low CoG, you could literally ride it at walking speeds.  I evne took it to a big motorcycle rally to enter in the "slow ride" competition..which I would have won...but it got rained out.  Supremely stable in that regard.  Drove it on gravel roads most days (previous owner lived on an enormous gravel road too).  Just now fusses.

Downside?  I guess people with bike egos think they aren't "cool" enough..and I admit, 5 years prior I would have NEVER owned a scooter.  But the all around ability changed my attitude.  Don't get me wrong...I still LOVE the hardest core motorcycles around (supermotos) and they will always be my choice mount.  But for fully committing to riding everyday and doing it all (within the confines of what's possible), really tough to beat.  I know I racked up way more mileage riding my scooter in a year than many true "motorcyclists" that I was friendly with. I guess this made me more into a "it's not what you ride, it's how much you ride" type of rider.

And the new Burgman improves on my version in every conceivable way.

So as far as I'm concerned....Burgman.  Easily. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 01:01:05 am by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: September 17, 2020, 01:09:42 am »
Burgman

It just flat out worked.  And was comfortable, nimble, reliable and frugal.  Certainly the best "all arounder" bike I've owned.  And it was amusing enough to entertain.  Yes, you could deck the floorboards on the road, which was alleged to be ~40 degree lean angle.  You could commute with it, two up with it, tour with it, go grocery shopping with it.  It did it all.  With the Givi Aero windscreen, it was shockingly serene from the wind.  I drove it (IIRC) 90 days straight...rain or shine to work and back.  I put a plug for my heated jacket liner on it and was able to commute down into the high 30s (low single digit F) with no issues in comfort.

The storage was downright cavernous.  I think 60L under the seat IIRC?  I kept a heated jacket liner, air shirt, air pants, and full rain gear (part of my modular dress system).  And still had loads of room to store my large modular helmet.  And there was STILL room in there.  I brought my full work gear (with the other stuff) and lunch everyday. Or if IQ and I went out, it would swallow 2 full face helmets easily.  We'd go out to dinner on it and have room for leftover.s..which I had never done on a bike before. LOL  I could do a weekend of grocery shopping (which I did).  I would carry a medium pizza and a 6 pack easily.  I even picked up a 12 pack once.  So storage was fantastic and really made for utility.

Gauges ridiculously easy to read (reminded me of a car). Adjustable lumbar support a nice plus.  I WISH it had the larger wheels of the new Burgman, but still..it never posed a problem and the larger wheels would improve comfort.  Engine was peppy..and SOOO much better once I added Dr. Pulley sliders.  Could spin the tire from a stop, yet allow reduced cruising RPM at speed.  MPG in the mid-high 3s usually. Low 4s sometimes.  Good stuff.

Was a bit heavy yanking it off the center stand or moving it about.  But once on it, due to low CoG, you could literally ride it at walking speeds.  I evne took it to a big motorcycle rally to enter in the "slow ride" competition..which I would have won...but it got rained out.  Supremely stable in that regard.  Drove it on gravel roads most days (previous owner lived on an enormous gravel road too).  Just now fusses.

Downside?  I guess people with bike egos think they aren't "cool" enough..and I admit, 5 years prior I would have NEVER owned a scooter.  But the all around ability changed my attitude.  Don't get me wrong...I still LOVE the hardest core motorcycles around (supermotos) and they will always be my choice mount.  But for fully committing to riding everyday and doing it all (within the confines of what's possible), really tough to beat.  I know I racked up way more mileage riding my scooter in a year than many true "motorcyclists" that I was friendly with. I guess this made me more into a "it's not what you ride, it's how much you ride" type of rider.

And the new Burgman improves on my version in every conceivable way.

So as far as I'm concerned....Burgman.  Easily.

that's more like it.  ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2119 on: September 17, 2020, 11:12:57 am »

I don't disagree with everything you said about your scooter, but I would disagree about the ego thing. How I perceive a bike/scooter to look is more about taste, than my own self importance. I bought the Triumph because I love the bike, knowing full well that some people don't think ADV bikes look cool either. Couldn't care less. So personally I wouldn't buy a scooter because I don't like how they look, not because I care about what people would think of me.