Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458646 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1900 on: May 21, 2020, 12:27:46 am »
Isn't that the role of your scooter? Seems to be a completely logical choice for that. Should be cheap to operate no?

It is, other than requiring rear tires every 15k km and belts every 24k km.

You've gone from R3, to scooter, to questioning motorcycling altogether... WTH is wrong with people on this forum, everyone is going soft!  :rofl2:

Ha I've been questioning riding for a couple of years now.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: May 21, 2020, 01:46:07 am »

Normal...I question it all the time...whether after an incident (near miss with deer last year), financial reasons (insurance can be bonkers), etc..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1902 on: May 21, 2020, 08:51:20 am »

Normal...I question it all the time...whether after an incident (near miss with deer last year), financial reasons (insurance can be bonkers), etc..
yea, sticking to the smaller engine sizes can help keep the rates as low as possible, but every weekend, there's an accident where someone is killed on their bike...i love riding as much as the next person, but with the massive amount of mindless drones on the road in their cars, too preoccupied with their phones and make up, i get why people question the point of riding any more.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1903 on: May 21, 2020, 09:57:34 am »

yea, sticking to the smaller engine sizes can help keep the rates as low as possible, but every weekend, there's an accident where someone is killed on their bike...i love riding as much as the next person, but with the massive amount of mindless drones on the road in their cars, too preoccupied with their phones and make up, i get why people question the point of riding any more.

This is why off road is SO MUCH MORE fun.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1904 on: May 21, 2020, 10:21:57 am »

Bingo.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1905 on: May 21, 2020, 10:24:54 am »

Im still looking for a cheap dual sport for this reason  ;D Today, lady with no lights on in her Corolla changed lanes in front of a 1 ton pulling a skid steer with no signal,  of course going way slower than traffic because mindless Corolla drone, and caused buddy guy to do some very impressive evasive maneuvers to not send her window licking ass into the next world. I am quite worried about riding around town because the fine revenue collectors...errr, Edmonton "police" are only worried about people going 5 over, not degens like her that deserve to swallow their front teeth.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: May 21, 2020, 10:42:50 am »
Also a valid concern. I generally avoid busy areas on the bike. I have no idea how people can enjoy riding a bike on endless packed freeways. I find that very tiring (being hyper alert for idiots)  and not very exciting. No payoff there..

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #1907 on: May 21, 2020, 10:44:39 am »
Mrs BC had a friend that was killed early on in life on the street while riding.  Its the main reason I've never owned a street bike.  And yes, I know people die in cars every day also.  I don't need her approval, but life would be very difficult for a while if I came home with one.   :rofl2:  I'm going to stick with riding on dirt I think.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: May 21, 2020, 10:46:45 am »
Also a valid concern. I generally avoid busy areas on the bike. I have no idea how people can enjoy riding a bike on endless packed freeways. I find that very tiring (being hyper alert for idiots)  and not very exciting. No payoff there..

I remember being stuck on our Henday, a local freeway, in traffic at +30 some odd degrees because two window licking Edmontonians decided to crash into each other on a beautiful summer day. Beside me was a dude on a crotch rocket stuck in the same traffic, except I was in air conditioned traffic and buddy guy was sweating through his helmet. No thank you.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: May 21, 2020, 10:52:25 am »
Mrs BC had a friend that was killed early on in life on the street while riding.  Its the main reason I've never owned a street bike.  And yes, I know people die in cars every day also.  I don't need her approval, but life would be very difficult for a while if I came home with one.   :rofl2:  I'm going to stick with riding on dirt I think.

Many if not the majority of on road bike deaths are the result of the rider. We just had another one in Calgary that is obviously the result of too much speed and probably not enough judgement, skill and riding experience. Sure there is the left turning Karen in front of you scenario that you always have to be on the lookout for but many are young guys (old guys?) and Too Much Speed for their skill, conditions, bike etc.  Most of the bigger road bikes have so much intoxicating  power how can you not twist that throttle?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: May 21, 2020, 10:54:04 am »
I remember being stuck on our Henday, a local freeway, in traffic at +30 some odd degrees because two window licking Edmontonians decided to crash into each other on a beautiful summer day. Beside me was a dude on a crotch rocket stuck in the same traffic, except I was in air conditioned traffic and buddy guy was sweating through his helmet. No thank you.
yea, that can suck...especially when you're sitting on an oven...equally crappy is riding in the rain...you can get yourself some leather gloves that have a built in wiper to help you clear your windscreen if you need it...riding on a highway, stuck behind a transport truck (and it's spray) is the worst.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: May 21, 2020, 10:56:05 am »
Many if not the majority of on road bike deaths are the result of the rider.
yes and no...there's a ton of "I didn't see him" from the people in cars who cause the accident...i experienced it personally many years ago and was about 2 inches away from death...it's the accident i lost my NS400R in.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: May 21, 2020, 10:56:16 am »

Many if not the majority of on road bike deaths are the result of the rider. We just had another one in Calgary that is obviously the result of too much speed and probably not enough judgement, skill and riding experience. Sure there is the left turning Karen in front of you scenario that you always have to be on the lookout for but many are young guys (old guys?) and Too Much Speed for their skill, conditions, bike etc.  Most of the bigger road bikes have so much intoxicating  power how can you not twist that throttle?

Same here. The vast majority are organ donor crotch rocketeers doing warp 6 or some nutless Harley bro failing to keep up with said crotch rocketeer.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: May 21, 2020, 11:49:51 am »
I’m glad I didn’t start riding before the age of 25 I can tell you that much.

Street riders are still statistically twice as likely to die from cancer than a bike accident. Yes they’re 13x more likely to die than a car driver/passenger, but that just means a car occupant is 26x more likely to die from cancer than a car accident. Let that fact sink in.

There are forestry roads I definitely want to explore. I might keep one eye open for a cheap dual sport or adventure bike but they’re all horribly overpriced right now.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: May 21, 2020, 11:53:39 am »
I’m glad I didn’t start riding before the age of 25 I can tell you that much.

Street riders are still statistically twice as likely to die from cancer than a bike accident. Yes they’re 13x more likely to die than a car driver/passenger, but that just means a car occupant is 26x more likely to die from cancer than a car accident. Let that fact sink in.

There are forestry roads I definitely want to explore. I might keep one eye open for a cheap dual sport or adventure bike but they’re all horribly overpriced right now.

One disclaimer on FSRs. If it is active be very very very careful. Log haulers are not looking for you and nor do they give two craps about you.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: May 21, 2020, 02:27:16 pm »

It sure is!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: May 21, 2020, 07:34:58 pm »

How much did you insure your 650 for?

My Silverwing cost me $996 for $1 mil liability, license, and registration through ICBC, and $250 for comprehensive and collision coverage from a private insurer.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: May 21, 2020, 07:41:01 pm »

My Silverwing cost me $996 for $1 mil liability, license, and registration through ICBC, and $250 for comprehensive and collision coverage from a private insurer.
good lord that's a fortune.

i know it was a long time ago, but one of the reasons i bought a scooter when i was 16 was insurance costs...full coverage...new rider...Honda Elite 250 (it was only about 6 months old, so practically brand new)...$80/year...even a few years ago when i went to Oakville to potentially buy that '76 Honda CB400F i was looking at (fully restored, mint condition), it was only about $350/year.

we seriously get boned for insurance in Canada...it's SOOOOOOO much cheaper in the US.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: May 21, 2020, 09:12:27 pm »

Was $35 a month.   ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: May 21, 2020, 10:23:15 pm »

Was $35 a month.   ;D

Dammit lol. I thought you guys were more expensive sometimes. Wing paid more to insure his CB300F than I did.

My R3 was $31/mo in Alberta, plus something like $42 for registration for the year. Guys with 600s and litre super sports weren't paying a whole lot more than me.