Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458542 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1880 on: May 18, 2020, 01:27:24 pm »
I guess if you are going to ride an ADV bike on adventures  you will drop it. Lots. I would be concerned how vulnerable the large dual front rotors look. 37+" seat height means these will be dropped. I look forward to buying one used off someone who scares themselves offroad.

Yeah that's the thing.  lf you do trails, dropping a bike is unavoidable..  look like the Tenere  is around 450lbs which i think i can manage when I drop it.. but those big adventure bike are getting close to 540lbs which i think it's too much to have fun in trails, unless you go grampa style. so i

What else is there in Avdenture bikes in the last decade? I have those bike in 2 category,  the ones that are around 650 to 800cc and better at handling and less comfort and then the big confortable ones.

what about BMW or Triumph how are they?

What is your budget?

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1881 on: May 18, 2020, 06:06:31 pm »
I guess if you are going to ride an ADV bike on adventures  you will drop it. Lots. I would be concerned how vulnerable the large dual front rotors look. 37+" seat height means these will be dropped. I look forward to buying one used off someone who scares themselves offroad.

Yeah that's the thing.  lf you do trails, dropping a bike is unavoidable..  look like the Tenere  is around 450lbs which i think i can manage when I drop it.. but those big adventure bike are getting close to 540lbs which i think it's too much to have fun in trails, unless you go grampa style. so i

What else is there in Avdenture bikes in the last decade? I have those bike in 2 category,  the ones that are around 650 to 800cc and better at handling and less comfort and then the big confortable ones.

What is your budget?

4 to 6k.

That's V-Strom budget land, same place I'm looking.   There's the occasional BMW or KTM in budget, but they're usually getting pretty old.
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: May 18, 2020, 06:22:49 pm »

What is your budget?

4 to 7k.

OK there was a cherry KLR a few weeks ago that was fully adventure outfitted for a trip to Inuvik. Guy put about 10k on it. Looked awesome. I will try to find it again.

My rec. Find a creampuff KLR 650

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: May 18, 2020, 06:26:10 pm »
 A KLR has more than enough to get you in serious trouble on gravel roads. OK perhaps a hopped up Honda XR650R

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: May 18, 2020, 06:31:18 pm »
Can we stretch your budget on a good looking BMW GS800? Lots of goodies. Looks like he lost his job or a divorce special or a kid on the way..Damn I may buy this one.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/calgary/ready-for-adventure-then-read-this-ad/1500697592?undefined

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: May 18, 2020, 06:44:28 pm »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: May 18, 2020, 07:08:26 pm »
40k kms on a BMW is a lot of mileage.I would have no problem spending 2-3k more on a creampuff. .. The 12k in 11 years got my attention.  I am going to check the story out here. There is lots of stuff here:  New BMW luggage. 3 new tires,  New Akropovic Ti exhaust ..this guy spent a lot of money and needs to sell. Time to find out why..

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1888 on: May 18, 2020, 09:42:37 pm »
just for comparison, Wolf Motorcycles near me has a 2013 GS with 28k kms on it for $9995...comes with BWM panniers, aluminum top case and new tires (it's also a nice colour :) ).

https://www.wolfmotorcycles.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=7446204&p=2&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: May 18, 2020, 10:09:19 pm »
Look at a Honda CB500x. Guys have taken them on some pretty gnarly trips. $7500 brand new. Reasonably light too..430lbs wet.

Cheap, capable, tons of aftermarket, anvil reliable.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:16:07 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: May 18, 2020, 10:37:58 pm »
KTM390 its new and cheaper yet. Out of the box, people are impressed. Suspension is very good too.

Really depends what you want...both of these new bikes will do what you want and fall within your budget.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: May 19, 2020, 12:16:54 am »
That Honda is cool. Over $8k out the door though for the 2019 and $8500 for the 2020. It does not come with the tires pictured either. If you want to travel on the forest trunk road or gravel roads in the foothills I would not be doing it on the rubber that either  the Honda or the KTM 390 come with. The rough surfaces will chew that stuff to bits.

The power delivery on these will be different. Power in the upper RPMs with lower torque. Again you need to be crystal clear on what you want your bike to do. If you want to poke around and explore some gravel/dirt back roads that is one thing. ( DRZ 400 is a good choice for that) If you mostly want to ride paved back roads that is another. (that Honda or KTM 390 are better choices). Me? I would be looking at the GS but that is because it sort of completes my quiver. Well that and I still need another trials bike.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: May 19, 2020, 08:15:47 am »
I would be looking at the GS but that is because it sort of completes my quiver. Well that and I still need another trials bike.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/canadian-flea-market-motos-related-items-for-sale.1077680/

Guy selling a Montesa

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1893 on: May 19, 2020, 08:33:49 am »
40k kms on a BMW is a lot of mileage.I would have no problem spending 2-3k more on a creampuff. .. The 12k in 11 years got my attention.  I am going to check the story out here. There is lots of stuff here:  New BMW luggage. 3 new tires,  New Akropovic Ti exhaust ..this guy spent a lot of money and needs to sell. Time to find out why..
There are guys with 300k on those 800s though. This guy has 600k:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/600-000-kms-f800gs.1318256/

At 500k, these were his stats.

Fungibles:
- 22,051 liters of gasoline (4.41l / 100kms)
- 50 sets of tires.
- 17 sets of back pads.
- 6 sets of front pads
- 16 transmission games.
- 2 sets of front discs
- 3 rear disc
- 200 liters of oil

Most significant maintenance / repairs:
- 5 Sets of steering bearings
- 5 sets of front and rear bearings
- several seals
- battery
- alternator
- gas pump
- Water Pump
- ring antenna
-Change carter for breakage
-Change of tensioner and timing belt
- rear brake hose
- speed sensor
-Back brake light switch
-Easel

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: May 19, 2020, 10:09:51 am »
My point exactly. It is not that you can't keep a bike on a road "forever" it is just at 50k kms you will be  potentially spending more time and money than on a bike with 12k kms. At 50k kms you are probably looking at:

Buying bearings/seals and either pressing them out yourself or having a shop replace them for you.
Needing a chain and drive components
Suspension servicing

Not that the lower mileage bike won't eventually need all this too but generally the higher the mileage bike will have more things that will require attention. There is a reason bikes are flipped at certain mileages. If an owner can't turn wrenches service can get expensive.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: May 19, 2020, 10:24:46 am »

. If an owner can't turn wrenches service can get expensive.

Especially at BMW dealers.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1896 on: May 19, 2020, 06:52:15 pm »
My point exactly. It is not that you can't keep a bike on a road "forever" it is just at 50k kms you will be  potentially spending more time and money than on a bike with 12k kms. At 50k kms you are probably looking at:

Buying bearings/seals and either pressing them out yourself or having a shop replace them for you.
Suspension servicing

Not that the lower mileage bike won't eventually need all this too but generally the higher the mileage bike will have more things that will require attention. There is a reason bikes are flipped at certain mileages. If an owner can't turn wrenches service can get expensive.
Yea no I’m not doing my own bearings, nor my own chain.

Are small commuter bikes cheap alternatives to cars? More and more I think no. Sometimes I wonder if I should abandon the two wheel life and get a Prius, especially when thinking of the safety risk of being on two wheels. No one’s ever jumped into a Prius for fun or to clear their mind though. Well except this one crazy guy I followed who took corners at a decent clip.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: May 19, 2020, 07:14:27 pm »

Suspension servicing

Are small commuter bikes cheap alternatives to cars? More and more I think no. Sometimes I wonder if I should abandon the two wheel life and get a Prius, especially when thinking of the safety risk of being on two wheels. No one’s ever jumped into a Prius for fun or to clear their mind though. Well except this one crazy guy I followed who took corners at a decent clip.
I think having ANY convertible can give that open air feeling...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: May 19, 2020, 07:33:26 pm »

Suspension servicing

Isn't that the role of your scooter? Seems to be a completely logical choice for that. Should be cheap to operate no?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1899 on: May 20, 2020, 10:41:48 pm »

Suspension servicing

Are small commuter bikes cheap alternatives to cars? More and more I think no. Sometimes I wonder if I should abandon the two wheel life and get a Prius,

You've gone from R3, to scooter, to questioning motorcycling altogether... WTH is wrong with people on this forum, everyone is going soft!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...