Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 458544 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #1860 on: May 16, 2020, 02:32:02 am »
That'll happen when the Alberta NDP wins another election. 40 years?

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: May 16, 2020, 09:21:34 pm »
My scooter is sold...

Buyer picks up tomorrow.

Doomed when I saw the 890R! Though like Bob, I might be out of luck getting a new bike anytime soon due to Covid.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1862 on: May 16, 2020, 09:22:18 pm »
My scooter is sold...

Buyer picks up tomorrow.

Doomed when I saw the 890R! Though like Bob, I might be out of luck getting a new bike anytime soon due to Covid.
man, you don't keep stuff long. LOL
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: May 16, 2020, 09:24:17 pm »
My scooter is sold...

Buyer picks up tomorrow.

man, you don't keep stuff long. LOL
I keep reading how special the 890 is..and that's rare in the bike world for a model to be nearly universally described that way...so I'm getting ready..in case!

But yea, I love switching things up. Ride, enjoy, switch, repeat.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1864 on: May 16, 2020, 09:47:23 pm »

Thinking of trading my G450X and or DR200SE for a V-Strom or similar.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: May 16, 2020, 10:00:45 pm »

Thinking of trading my G450X and or DR200SE for a V-Strom or similar.
Sure! Why not?

I still want a 950 or 990 KTM Adventure or similar

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #1866 on: May 16, 2020, 11:36:25 pm »
Awesome day on the trails today. Rode hard, finished with some brews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1867 on: May 16, 2020, 11:38:48 pm »
Hey I know that river!  Looks like a great day.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: May 17, 2020, 01:13:33 am »
I had to wash my bike today as it attracts a lot of attention on the street as is and about 10 fold when dirty. Lots of stares from Calgary's finest.

Where do you usually go riding , McLean?

Sometimes but not like I used to. If I do go there I take my 300 which is a dedicated dirt bike.  I have been riding Mclean for almost 40 years so I need to get out and see the world.  ;D  The FE is a dual sport so it expands the rides. More long day or multi day backwood adventure rides. Mostly BC, Idaho, Nevada. Anything more than an hour on the pavement droning is awful. Been working on a no pavement ride:  some forest service road, old two track mining roads, single track, a little no track  ride across BC. So far AB to almost Kamloops. I pack a hammock and blanket for the odd night out but we try to stay in motels As I like beer, food, patios and a good shower after a day of riding.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: May 17, 2020, 05:24:35 pm »
You can't have a dirt bike? Honestly the choices you mentioned (the Tenere 700!) are fine. Lots of dirt/gravel roads west and south. but the endless adventure resides in BC. The only issues with bikes like the 700 and the 790 etc is that they can't really do that 7/10+ off road stuff so you get limited to just the FSRs which is not necessarily a bad thing. Just pick something that  handles what you like to ride. It's funny when you roll into a place like Nakusp BC  and it is just an endless parade of greying men riding adventure bikes with the aluminum cases playing Long Way Around.. They are all riding the same route. They ask what route you took and you just point at the mountain behind you. The best part of the lightweight option is you see virtually no other riders/people.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: May 17, 2020, 08:46:34 pm »
Forestry Service Road. Roads made for logging trucks that are easy with good suspension travel, maybe 80/20 or 90/10 tires but some people use street tires just fine. I’ve taken some FSRs with my previous street bikes. All my scooters have had too little suspension travel.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: May 17, 2020, 10:05:01 pm »
Forestry Service Road. Roads made for logging trucks that are easy with good suspension travel, maybe 80/20 or 90/10 tires but some people use street tires just fine. I’ve taken some FSRs with my previous street bikes. All my scooters have had too little suspension travel.

A full "dirt bike" helps if the road has been decommissioned with bridges removed. Safer too as there is no actual truck traffic. The water bars on some of these can be downright nasty. (earth berms set at an angle across the road to direct rainwater runoff. The bars can blow right through 10" of travel on a bike. Punishing.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: May 17, 2020, 10:13:51 pm »
Those bikes will do more than just a fireroad. Have seen it with my own eyes.

Yea, you're not going to air these things out over whoopped out stuff or done gnarly, super technical single track...but some single track and double track are possible no problem....which is what most people will cap their off-road riding at. You can even do some technical stuff, but not fast.

My bro went to Alaska on his BMW Adv bike and he did more than fire roads! And the 790 and Tenere suspension is way better. Most people know the limits of these and use them accordingly...which is still plenty IMO.

These things are impressive for what they are.

https://youtu.be/bt7MLx3d9GQ
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:20:29 pm by rrocket »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 17, 2020, 10:59:13 pm »

A full "dirt bike" helps if the road has been decommissioned with bridges removed. Safer too as there is no actual truck traffic. The water bars on some of these can be downright nasty. (earth berms set at an angle across the road to direct rainwater runoff. The bars can blow right through 10" of travel on a bike. Punishing.
You guys seem to be spending more time rebuilding engines and forks than actually riding though. That doesn’t seem fun.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: May 17, 2020, 11:04:31 pm »
great FortNine video up, about Harley Davidson's struggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwxxsPaogY
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:54:10 pm by dirtyjeffer »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: May 17, 2020, 11:26:40 pm »
I watched the whole thing earlier today. Very well done video. They’re releasing a 350 overseas that they’re refusing to bring to North America, that says enough. What does $5,000 buy in the HD world? A 15 year old carbureted 883. You’re not attracting a new generation of riders with that.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: May 17, 2020, 11:31:42 pm »

You guys seem to be spending more time rebuilding engines and forks than actually riding though. That doesn’t seem fun.

There is nothing better than hauling ass offroad. Things that on road would get you  thrown in jail is on the table. Just let it hang out and do what you want. Want to pull a 3rd gear wheelie down a straight? No problem. Perhaps play super moto and kick the rear out on some switchbacks. See a game trail near the top that may  or may not be climbable? Grab a fist of throttle and give it a try.  Perhaps slow it down to walking pace and try to ride the length of that log. Freedom. BC/Idaho/Nevada ia just so massive.

Maintenance is required but not crazy. Oil/filters every 20-30 hours depending on how hard the riding was  The 501 will do 600 hours + before needing anything serious. . Forks? Maybe fluid every couple years and a shop service every 4? The 300 will see a top end every 4 years at current rate. Nothing else to do from Nov-March lol.

The bigger ADV bikes can do 80% of it but they just kick your ass so much and they are slower. Last year at the Horizons Unlimited Mountain Madness event we ran some of the trails os some 990s. These guys were excellent riders (much better than moi) but what took them 1 hour to get up and almost as much down we did in about 15 minutes. At the end of it they were done. Of course they had a much more resonable time on the connecting sections lol.

Anyhow enoughing droning on. Mr Wongpong sounds like he would be best served with something like the Yamaha 700 Tenere. I am looking at one for myself (or perhaps an Africa twin). Too bad there are no demos this summer.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:57:57 pm by ktm525 »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1877 on: May 18, 2020, 12:03:21 pm »
My scooter is sold...

Buyer picks up tomorrow.

Man, last night I watched a video of someone dropping a brand new 790 Adventure R Rally, what a tool. Nice bike but boy is that suspension expensive.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: May 18, 2020, 12:46:22 pm »
I guess if you are going to ride an ADV bike on adventures  you will drop it. Lots. I would be concerned how vulnerable the large dual front rotors look. 37+" seat height means these will be dropped. I look forward to buying one used off someone who scares themselves offroad.

I like these guys review. The old short guy is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jAkS9c7vqU

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:57:21 pm by ktm525 »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: May 18, 2020, 01:01:13 pm »
I watched the whole thing earlier today. Very well done video. They’re releasing a 350 overseas that they’re refusing to bring to North America, that says enough. What does $5,000 buy in the HD world? A 15 year old carbureted 883. You’re not attracting a new generation of riders with that.
i'm sure it will be a decent bike, but like scooters, small cc bikes are looked down on in North America...as well, a Harley made in China??...going to be a tough sell here too (because of people's perceptions).